Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Halo Infinite - the next Halo game

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Did you get haloed?

Hace El Oso

Arcane
Patron
Would someone very kindly explain how this works and if it's shit, please? I see 'season x' and immediately my eyes glaze over. 'Free to play' is usually also code for shit, but the multiplayer looks like more halo to me. The campaign is totally separate it looks like, will it have coop?

ADL

Prophet
Would someone very kindly explain how this works and if it's shit, please? I see 'season x' and immediately my eyes glaze over. 'Free to play' is usually also code for shit, but the multiplayer looks like more halo to me. The campaign is totally separate it looks like, will it have coop?
It's Reach's multiplayer but better and it feels very good to play. Battlepass for cosmetics but all maps are free and you can get a good looking Spartan on the free track. If you don't give a shit about cosmetics there's no reason to pay and frankly I prefer that over splitting the community with map packs like they used to. The campaign is being treated as a $59.99 DLC since Infinite's multiplayer is free2play and shares the executable. Supposedly there's going to be multiple campaigns as this is meant to be a "platform for the next ten years of Halo".

Last we heard campaign co-op will come in Season 2 and Forge with the leaked scripting engine will come in Season 3. They said they'd update us soon about co-op and Forge because it was announced today that Season 1 was being significantly extended.

Overall I feel like all their work on the Master Chief Collection has led to an uncharacteristically good Halo game from 343. If you do care about cosmetics, login soon because they're giving away free shit.
1637020244070.jpg

Last edited:

ADL

Prophet
The battle pass progression system is absolutely going to change in the immediate future. Everyone hates it and even if you don't give a shit, your team does and they're busy completing their challenges instead of playing the objective.

Lokiamis

Learned
Played about 20 games. Literally did not see a single message in chat or hear anybody speak in voice even once. No community servers so every game you're up against completely random players who refuse to talk to you and you'll never even see them again. Might as well be playing with bots (the game does actually shove bots in your team and good luck telling them apart from real people).
Shooters are in a sorry fucking state.

Also I hope you're ready to pay $10 if you want to unlock a different color for your armor or whatever the fuck.

ADL

Prophet
I think text and voice chat are broken because in 25+ games I haven't seen anyone else use text or voice. Either this is the most unsocial game ever or shit is broken and they're not even hearing or seeing my messages.

antimeridian

Learned
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I don't think anyone uses chat in the big mainstream shooters anymore based on my own experiences with Battlefield/CoD/Halo. I never play them unless I'm in a party with friends. That said, Infinite is pretty damn fun so far, and seems to be a pretty stable and polished launch too. RIP BF2042.

Irata

Scholar
I find it funny that all the negative reviews are about earning cosmetics.

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
Game is fun as hell. The only legit complaint I have is that there is no collision, so if a melee isn't a kill then you are gonna have fun spinning around in circles because the other dude probably went through you.
Sunk 10 hours in 2 days, I work 10 hours a day to survive so that's a pretty high number.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think text and voice chat are broken because in 25+ games I haven't seen anyone else use text or voice. Either this is the most unsocial game ever or shit is broken and they're not even hearing or seeing my messages.
I played a little of Halo MCC's MP and I don't think I heard anyone or see any message posted, so it's not surprising to see it's the same in infinite

Lokiamis

Learned
The more I play it, the more I'm liking it. I was dismissing weapons because their special effects aren't really explained or even obvious when using them. Still has no fucking maps though.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The more I play it, the more I'm liking it. I was dismissing weapons because their special effects aren't really explained or even obvious when using them. Still has no fucking maps though.

This gun is unironically my go-to weapon in BTB. Electrify a Ghost, toss grenades, chaos ensues, never get old. I have a much better time playing vehicle hunter in this game than BF2042, a game where you can't blow up a hovercraft with 3 rocket shots.

As others have said multiplayer is really pretty good but with one YUGE caveat for KB&M players:

https://www.reddit.com/r/CompetitiveHalo/comments/r3e7ie/accuracy_stats_for_kbm_vs_controller/

In summary aim assist for controllers + bullet magnetism combined with Halo's characteristic high TTK on the most common weapons means that the average KB&M player is at a serious disadvantage compared to the average controller player.

There is an option to play with KB&M players only on ranked matches but otherwise you should just git gud with a controller.

DemonKing

Arcane
I've played a fair bit now (KB&M) and it's a lot of fun. Decent weapon variety and some useful grenades/powerups plus the longer TTK makes for some interesting gameplay decisions.

I've also got the latest COD which isn't anything special but scratches an itch with it's faster TTK and the newest BF which is great fun if you can play on a team with voice coms active and still manages those epic "Battlefield moments" where you're running along and two choppers crash into each other directly overhead showering you with burning debris. I'd also like to get into Hell Let Loose but I find that games doesn't respect your time very much given you can run for 10 minutes without seeing a single enemy and then get sniped with no idea where the shot came from (realistic maybe but not very friendly if you're time poor).

All these games aren't perfect but if you're into multiplayer FPS games you're spoilt for choice at the moment. I'm quite happily bouncing between them all until the Shadow Tactics expansion gets released...

antimeridian

Learned
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I've played a fair bit now (KB&M) and it's a lot of fun. Decent weapon variety and some useful grenades/powerups plus the longer TTK makes for some interesting gameplay decisions.

I've also got the latest COD which isn't anything special but scratches an itch with it's faster TTK and the newest BF which is great fun if you can play on a team with voice coms active and still manages those epic "Battlefield moments" where you're running along and two choppers crash into each other directly overhead showering you with burning debris

Vanguard fun? Looked mediocre, like an uncomfortable middle ground between MW2019 and Cold War. I played a lot of Cold War with friends recently, for all the shit CoD gets from every corner it's still good casual fun with solid inputs and lots of polish.

Halo Infinite has definitely taken CoD's place as my casual MP shooter, but its a tough adjustment. Kind of like someone posted above with the accuracy stats, I don't actually end up feeling more competitive with KBM inputs (as opposed to in CoD). Between my general lack of Halo experience and the fact that every single player I ran into felt like they were also on KBM (and better than me) it took some serious adjustment. There's nothing technically "wrong" with Infinite on PC w/ KBM, but there's no getting around the fact that Halo was fundamentally designed for console from the very start, which puts it in a different box than the other big shooter franchises. I can't attribute this to any one factor, but a lot of little feelings that add up to a general sensation that KBM is just not the "right' way to be playing. That said I've gotten more used to the gameplay and it's still really fun. I'm hopeless with a controller so I wouldn't be switching up anyway.

I don't mind Halo being balanced this way since it's always been a console-first thing, and I'm not interested in playing super competitively, just holding my own. All the buddies I play with are on Xbox and we're all around the same skill level regardless of inputs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom