Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Mechajammer Kickstarter Update #38: Gameplay Trailer

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Mechajammer; Whalenought Studios

Following last weekend's announcement of a release date for Mechajammer, Whalenought have put together a trailer of their own. It's a pretty fun trailer, with cool music, lots of pixelated cyberpunk violence, and goofy live action appearances by Joe and Hannah. Check it out:

Seems like between Whalenought and their publisher, we might see more of Mechajammer in the next two weeks than we saw of it for entire years.

aratuk

Cipher
Unpopular opinion around these parts, but I think it looks great. Distinctive pseudo-isometric 3D.

UI elements like the inventory are especially cool. From what I can see so far, I’m glad they took the time to experiment, and I hope it didn’t mean they had to rush it out the door in the end.

gaussgunner

Arcane
I hope it didn’t mean they had to rush it out the door in the end.
They did.

I don't know that for a fact, but c'mon.. they experimented for 6 years, changed everything the game was supposed to be in the kickstarter, then got a publisher. They were rushed.

Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
I both hate and love the way the game looks. It looks original and stylish. But at the same time fartsy and fugly. I literally can't sort out my impression of it. It's ambiguous.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If you don't like how it looks for now, don't worry, still time for 2-3 complete overhauls before the release date, that's in early Dec.

Also, it looks better than the concept I backed originally, but somewhere in the middle there was a better aesthetics going around, probably the 3rd or 4th iteration.

Falksi

Arcane
Still interested enough to give it a go, but Copper Dreams the name and the original art style excited me way more.

Respect to them for trying something original, but it'd be nice to see the game we were originally expecting at some point too.

After Serpent in The Staglands 2 of course.

Last edited:

gaussgunner

Arcane
Yeah, the original Copper Dreams style (from the kickstarter launch, not whatever prototypes they made before that) was perfectly fine. Better than SITS and better than most or all that followed, especially this final (? ? ?? ? ???) look.

aratuk

Cipher
Hadn't heard of this publisher before, but apparently they're also publishing Ostronauts (the new game from the Neo Scavenger dev) and the sequel to Out There. Not bad stuff!

MrBuzzKill

Arcane
Here's how the game looked in 2016:
6c3f2eee4699df2992168da4dccd9c77_original.gif
415540cf3e9bf06295bf2150bcd2bfb1_original.gif

7bd83730fa94306c9d0e0bd198a95945_original.gif
5919c6cb13d3de373759d6abfceb436a_original.gif

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yea I like the current style over that retro PS1:ish(?) look of the original, but there were a few version in-between that were nicer, imo.

Glad

Literate
Am I the only one who prefers the current graphics rather than the generic sh*t from 2016? Dungeon Keeper style of 2D sprites is so cool.

Last edited:

Jinn

Arcane
I think the current incarnation is definitely an improvement. I liked the PSX look, and it's what I initially pledged to on kickstarter, but this is just an aesthetic improvement overall. There were a couple art styles they played with throughout development that I probably preferred from a basic aesthetic standpoint (Mobius style probably my favorite), but I also get that there was a certain tone they were going for, and this might ultimately fit the game better in the long run.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Unpopular opinion around these parts, but I think it looks great. Distinctive pseudo-isometric 3D.

UI elements like the inventory are especially cool. From what I can see so far, I’m glad they took the time to experiment, and I hope it didn’t mean they had to rush it out the door in the end.

Looks very original

despite me being irritated by all the artstyle/name changes I have to give this a thumbs up

one of few RPGs im looking forward to besides Space Wreck, KotC 2 and Colony Ship (now that Realms Beyond and Sigil are vaporware)

Last edited:

m_s0

Arcane
Whalenought_Joe whalenought_hannah After this is done, you should write a postmortem detailing all the art styles you cycled through during the game's development.
Actually, they should write a book about the entire development process: sort of a memoir mixed with a... basis for a postmortem. From the look of things, there's enough there for an interesting read: starting from the Kickstarter, the funding they got that somehow they managed to stretch into infinity etc. The art style changes following the gameplay evolution might the least interesting aspect of the development.

This might also help to decompress after all those years? Serious suggestion, I'd read it.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Was the earlier version better ?
There were plenty of art styles changed they attempted with this game actually, though I think all of the playable betas are with the final style.
I was referring to their earlier game, Serpent in the staglands. This artstyle appears to be a 3d version of that game, except sci fi rather than fantasy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom