Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Mechajammer (formerly Copper Dreams) - cyberpunk RPG from Whalenought Studios

vonAchdorf

Arcane
The trailer is pretty neat and works well for presenting the game.

buffalo bill

Arcane
Interview:

With its release date recently announced, Joseph Williams from Whalenought spoke to Harry Mitchell about their new tactical cyberpunk CRPG Mechajammer.

Incline:
"Fallout 1 is the standard for us."
Game shows hexes and one-hex-at-a-time movement, which is a huge improvement over last beta I played. Looks like vehicle combat might even be turn/phase based (six minutes into video).

Jinn

Arcane
That footage is looking so good. Really hope it delivers on the huge potential on display, and if so, that Whalenought sees a fair amount of success from this. I backed the game, have watched it for years, got excited, rolled my eyes, got excited several more times, then tried to forget about it until an actual release day was announced. Well, here we are, and I'm feeling very excited again. Best of luck to Hannah and Joe. You can say what you will, but these two are clearly very passionate about what they do, and had to make some tough decisions to get this game where they wanted it to be before releasing it to the public. Hopefully it's a solid foundation for things to come.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
After having watched the video, not feeling it in terms of gameplay. Graphics and interface looks ok, but it looks very shallow when out exploring the world

m_s0

Arcane
I like the first one with the PS1 esque metal gear solid graphics and grandia turn based combat with turn progress bar.
I can see why the ended up with this latest art style vs some of the earlier ones, but the original one looks best still. The game now seems very busy, oddly twitchy, gives a completely different vibe from what used to be Copper Dreams:

Qyxh47a.jpg

S0SURvz.jpg

ZwdahnC.jpg

znLGM90.jpg

57FUBI2.jpg
Looks thougtful, refreshingly austere (which I realize may just be a byproduct of how early in development it was at the time). Mechajammer seems to me like they're trying to do a shooter with a TB system, and what looks like a bone-headed, generic story isn't doing it any favours at first glance either. Like they were making a PC game at first, and somewhere down the line switched their mindset to console. I dunno, I guess we'll see how that fares, but it looks like a let-down on all fronts to me. Even if it plays OK, it's not really what I was hoping for when backing years ago.

I guess it's telling the new title doesn't fit the old game and vice versa.

Whalenought_Joe: I need to know the truth, please. Is the name change (and possibly everything else) because of those Copper Dreams mattresses?

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
The game looks so muddy and low resolution I can barely make out what the fuck is going on in the video. They had several really good art styles going on, and it's disappointing that this is the one that they settled on. I'm talking about the art style because that's literally all that I have to go on, they haven't revealed anything else to discuss about the fucking game. Watch it be some shitty pixelated isometric action game, akin to Hotline Miami except turn based. Also, expect it to be very short and shallow. How they go from this,
1a1f8fb17d5884e2d4929084121038e6_original.gif

QXIavc6.jpg

c91fd97557629a69188ebecd3ea374f0_original.png
ALphaHudLayout.png

_CopperDreamsKSU22_4.png
to the shit we have now. The game looks great in these screenshots, and IK these are taken across several different versions but I mean the overall style and aesthetic, which could have been polished to excellence! And now? Generic, muggy dogshit.

That style was great, would've made the game stand out more, and fit the 80s aesthetic more.

Jinn

Arcane
After having watched the video, not feeling it in terms of gameplay. Graphics and interface looks ok, but it looks very shallow when out exploring the world

What makes you say this? Genuinely curious.

EDIT: also, what are you comparing it to?

Last edited:

Kem0sabe

Arcane

What makes you say this? Genuinely curious.

EDIT: also, what are you comparing it to?

Im comparing it to Underrail for example, which was done by a very small team as well. The post tutorial gameplay just looks boring, you and an army of npc's exploring an uninspiring game world and rolling a lot of dice of course.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Latest trailer makes the game look a shitload better than the announcement one from before.

Somewhat interested to very interested.

Jinn

Arcane
Im comparing it to Underrail for example, which was done by a very small team as well. The post tutorial gameplay just looks boring, you and an army of npc's exploring an uninspiring game world and rolling some dice.

I think Underrail is a great comparison in terms of modern CRPG design. I would disagree that the world exploration seems less engaging though, simply based on the footage we've seen. It seems like a much more active and vibrant world from what I've seen. Obviously will have to play it to see, but it seems like a living world. We'll see if that translates well into solid exploration.

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Interview:

With its release date recently announced, Joseph Williams from Whalenought spoke to Harry Mitchell about their new tactical cyberpunk CRPG Mechajammer.

It's interesting that they mention Fallout 1 as a major inspiration. I'm a bit lazy, could you link to different interviews and articles where they have talked about this?

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
The game looks so muddy and low resolution I can barely make out what the fuck is going on in the video. They had several really good art styles going on, and it's disappointing that this is the one that they settled on. I'm talking about the art style because that's literally all that I have to go on, they haven't revealed anything else to discuss about the fucking game. Watch it be some shitty pixelated isometric action game, akin to Hotline Miami except turn based. Also, expect it to be very short and shallow. How they go from this,
1a1f8fb17d5884e2d4929084121038e6_original.gif

QXIavc6.jpg

c91fd97557629a69188ebecd3ea374f0_original.png
ALphaHudLayout.png

_CopperDreamsKSU22_4.png
to the shit we have now. The game looks great in these screenshots, and IK these are taken across several different versions but I mean the overall style and aesthetic, which could have been polished to excellence! And now? Generic, muggy dogshit.

That style was great, would've made the game stand out more, and fit the 80s aesthetic more.
I liked this one best too.
I wonder if shoulder mounted guns are still in.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
After unsubscribing from the thread and waiving all expectations, I just got an update email with the release trailer. (The one with the live action snips.)

I still don't know what I am looking at but I just fell in love with Hannah and Joe all over again.

Proud to be a backer, and whatever happens on the 2nd, I am all fuckin' in.

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/485400/view/3074263883146048387

Deep Dive #1 | COMBAT
69d13f32d5b71fddc0cf6e593c40deee06ce6714.png

In the first of a trio of Deep Dive features that gets into the nitty-gritty of what makes Mechajammer so deep and full of player-agency, we will be looking at combat. Specifically, we will address how Mechajammer circumvents convention by fusing real-time and turn-based philosophies to create something fresh and unexpected.
Mechajmmer adopts a turn-based system where each combatant - whether that’s yourself, a companion, or your enemy - has to complete their intended action before beginning the next. Everyone’s turns play out at the very same time, however, creating simultaneous streams of events taking place. This marries the excitement.

Roadto-Launch-Steam-Announcements-Plissken-1.gif

The system also introduces a range of tactical options absent from traditional turn-based combat, as players are able to affect the timing of actions and events, taking advantage of strategies like moving a few tiles to avoid an incoming projectile or a looming melee fighter, or adding extra turns to an enemy’s action after landing a successful hit.

Hot tip: Be careful when attacking enemies that you don’t move closer to them if that wasn’t your intention - both ‘moving’ and ‘attacking’ actions have their own controls and effect on the unfolding action.

Roadto-Launch-Steam-Announcements-Plissken-2.gif

While we’re talking about combat and all the beautiful intricacies that involves, we would be remiss if we did not mention weapons and the range of options at your disposal for taking out your enemies.

e6fcf9e1611ae11f26a932950c59f6d965759cfa.png

That’s it for the first of our Mechajammer Deep Dives, but we will be back before you can blink with an in-depth look at Stealth, and how to slink through Calitana undetected.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Out of curiosity, how is Serpent in the Staglands? Keep in mind I like combat in my RPGs.

I actually discovered I bought this a long time ago on a sale I'm guessing and I've nothing better to do with my time but give myself lung cancer. I also likely asked this at some point but completely disregarded everyone's responses due to excessive masturbation memory loss.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom