Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline is gaming officially over

Camel

Scholar
wow, this thread is so boomer

you still play those old games because nostalgia factor and games were more for nerds back then - now it's more of a cash grab

it's fucking cringe to hear that good ol' boomer "those were times... now it's shit" - literally I want to vomit
Go back to reddit, zoomer. That’s where you belong. I’m a millennial, by the way.
Can you name us great modern games in zoomers’ opinion?

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I think it's more true that gaming isn't monolithic any more. Claiming gaming is over is like claiming movies are over because of the MCU.

There's still good stuff being made, you just won't find it on the front page of steam (although sometimes you will).

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

you still play those old games because nostalgia factor and games were more for nerds back then - now it's more of a cash grab

it's fucking cringe to hear that good ol' boomer "those were times... now it's shit" - literally I want to vomit
Go back to reddit, zoomer. That’s where you belong. I’m a millennial, by the way.

Go back to reddit, millenial. That's where you belong. I'm Gen X, by the way.
Great games of the past couple of years, Pathfinder 1,2, Disco Elysium, Nox Archaist, Realms of Antiquity, Legends of Amberland, Expeditions Vikings, and many more

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine

Great games of the past couple of years, Pathfinder 1,2, Disco Elysium, Nox Archaist, Realms of Antiquity, Legends of Amberland, Expeditions Vikings, and many more
Go back to 4chan, Gen X. That's where you belong. I'm boomer, by the way.
great games of the past were all arcade machines invented to drain your pockets from spare change, the moment some dumbo brought game systems home to play on TV this planet went to shit

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

Go back to 4chan, Gen X. That's where you belong. I'm boomer, by the way.

No you are not

Also a proper boomer played games on Plato you fake

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
a game looks interesting to me and then I read a bit about it and find out it's awful

That's your problem right here. You READ about it, instead of PLAYING it and finding out that actually the one who wrote about it is a fucking retard and the game is good.

Falksi

Arcane
Nowhere near. As well as the continued release of mint games such as Arthurian Legends, we're now seeing a fair few new quality releases for old systems such as the Megadrive too.

The main thing is that gamers have to work harder to sort the wheat from the chaff, because a lot of quality games have the spotlight bullied off them by bigger companies, and trend-following normie dickheads who can't think for themselves. But the games are still very much out there.

As J_C says, play don't read. Or at least find a source to read from that actually knows its shit, and isn't afraid to buck trends (which 95% of games sites don't)

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
upload_2021-11-18_12-4-41.png

grim1234

Novice

Play some games, for Christ's sake.

From which I actually played:

NieR Automata
Metal Gear Solid V
Bloodborne
DOOM Eternal
INSIDE
The Witness
Portal 1 and 2
Alan Wake
Dead Space 1
inFamous
Gorogoa
Creaks
Hotline Miami
Bayonetta

Those are all unique, high quality, actually worth your time games. Modern games are not only Far Cry or some other crap, you know. Some devs still want to make actual good games.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

NieR Automata
Metal Gear Solid V

Bloodborne
DOOM Eternal
INSIDE
The Witness
Portal 1 and 2
Alan Wake

Dead Space 1
inFamous
Gorogoa
Creaks
Hotline Miami
Bayonetta

Those are all unique, high quality, actually worth your time games. Modern games are not only Far Cry or some other crap, you know. Some devs still want to make actual good games.

Great list. I approve.

grim1234

Novice

NieR Automata
Metal Gear Solid V

Bloodborne
DOOM Eternal
INSIDE
The Witness
Portal 1 and 2
Alan Wake

Dead Space 1
inFamous
Gorogoa
Creaks
Hotline Miami
Bayonetta

Great list. I approve.

Did you even play Gorogoa or Creaks, for example, or are you talking out of your ass?

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
It's not as dead as it was in that (long) period after almost complete homogenization of PC-consoles was achieved, but after a couple of years of semi-incline we've definitely hit a bit of a slump again.

I'm not complaining, because I found a nice balance between playing the new shit and old classics, but the sad part of it is that I think there was a time in the last decade when actual quasi-revival of classic PC gaming and its classic genres (strategy, tactics, adventures, rpg, fps) was genuinely on the cards, but it got hijacked by various morons and shitty trends and quickly run down to the ground. Oh well.

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
a game looks interesting to me and then I read a bit about it and find out it's awful

That's your problem right here. You READ about it, instead of PLAYING it and finding out that actually the one who wrote about it is a fucking retard and the game is good.
it saved me 30 bucks on a piece of literal shit

you think I'm made of money

Squid

Arbiter
Yes there are no new games worth your time and surely you've played all the ones that interested you from the past 40-50 years.

There are still a few decent big name titles here and there. Small dev teams and indie is where you should look for a bulk of new good games. And if video games just aren't doing it for you, there are non-video games you know?

Try chess.

Falksi

Arcane
To extend Squid 's point, FF6 has just this week had a big DLC type hack applied to it. In fact here's details on it......

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/final-fantasy-6-new-hack.140914/#post-7607473

I'm really no fan of the original at all, but I'm more than happy to give this a go and whilst stuff like this is still coming out....and available for free....gaming is very much alive and kicking.

If you're fuckwitted enough not to have clicked on that mainstream games are largely shite by now, that's your own daft fault. Sweep up the cheaper indie stuff and keep checking places like the Codex for AAA games which actually cut the mustard in the meantime. That's the way to roll now.

garren

Arcane
Patron
Mostly everything is shit, then again that's always been the case, though I agree that you need to dig a bit harder nowadays to find the stuff untainted by modern decline enablers.

dacencora

Metroid Dread is a great game that will absolutely be remembered years from now. Knights of the Chalice is a little more than 10 years ago, but still a really great game. I'm sure when Pierre is done with tuning KOTC2, it will also be fantastic. SKALD looks really promising. There are some really cool C64 games being made these days. Fire Emblem Three Houses is great. Approaching Infinity is a really good roguelike. Jupiter Hell is another great roguelike. Yakuza: Like a Dragon is a great JRPG. Shin Megami Tensei IV is not a perfect game, but the gameplay is top-notch. Monster Hunter 4U is also a lot of fun. SaGa Scarlet Grace had a really great beginning but it kicked my ass, still need to go back and finish it. There are tons of great games that have come out recently. OP probably just has shit taste.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom