Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline is gaming officially over

Falksi

Arcane
Tales of Berseria is another. One of the funniest and most enjoyable JRPGs I've ever played. The party banter is great.

Tel Velothi

Cipher
Video game industry have become large bussiness and large money are in it. So the games now are for a large audiences to sell more - earlier games were made by nerds for nerds. Now everyone just want to mash some buttons and watch some nice flashes than expierience some craftsmanship and art in between job and wife shouting that he play videogames for kids. Times has changed. There are still indie games that are in similar fashion like old games but they are definitely not AAA titles as it was more earlier.

lightbane

Arcane

The issue nowadays though is that games are fucking MASSIVE, and it's not worth wasting the space to download something to "try" it. Better to watch a few gameplay videos, way faster and more efficient, as most modern games play themselves anyway.

Last edited:

dacencora

Tales of Berseria is another. One of the funniest and most enjoyable JRPGs I've ever played. The party banter is great.
It’s on my list of games to play. Heard good things about it.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy

The issue nowadays though is that games are fucking MASSIVE, and it's not wroth wasting the space to download something to "try" it. Better to watch a few gameplay videos, way faster and more efficient, as most modern games play themselves anyway.

The problem is that pirates will just rip every single game regardless of merit or quality and thus shit up warez sites with the exact same garbage that makes Steam unusable.

StrongBelwas

Savant
Patron
The worst times are over.
The best times are over.
Individually, there are still plenty of good games, but the broad trends of the industry get worse. Also things are increasingly dependent on a handful of companies playing nice, both in the front (Publishers) and the background (Storefronts, engine developers.)
Theres the possibility for things getting very very bad in the future if something like Steam undergoes radical leadership change, or cloud gaming actually finds its footing, or everyone gets stuck in a walled garden, but those are still far off from being realistic.
So we're kind of in a limbo of one foot in the grave.

Last edited:

ferratilis

Magister
Gaming can't be over because Hollow Knight Silksong hasn't come out yet. After that, we'll see.

Alex

Arcane
Gaming died in 2004.

DJOGamer PT said:
rating_citation.png

Mobygames said:

I wouldn't say gaming is " over", but computer/video games reached their creative zenith over two decades ago and it's been a slow and agonizing downward spiral ever since.

Those who lived to see the evolution of the medium had a pretty unique opportunity. Thankfully the preservation efforts are top-notch, benefitting both those who feel nostalgic about those times (I do) and those who are curious about them and wish to try some of the games first hand, although playing them so many years after the fact really doesn't capture the totality of the experience.

Games are now a fully commodified, assimilated industry, not unlike movies or music. The vast, vast majority of output is awful. Some cool games are still being produced, but most of the time they pale in comparison to the classics. There is almost no space for experimentation, so even talented, "independent" developers are forced to stick to established formulas since they have to compete with an infinite number of talentless hacks in storefronts that have done an awful job at curating content.

Old games were cool because you could see that norms had not yet been established, and you could see unique perspectives everywhere - control schemes, the way the player interacted with the world, weird interfaces, etc. Now everything is standardized and sanitized, and that familiarity runs counter to the feeling of wonder and escape that games used to provide.

As for my own personal experience of getting older (I'm 41), whenever I spend time playing games lately I keep thinking that I should be doing other things, like reading, exercising, working or sleeping.

I'm ok with the fact that new games are not made for me. I don't like them and I don't want to like them. There is an almost infinite back catalog of good games to go back to, and I couldn't possibly find the time to play them all.

Squid

Arbiter
we'll know after stalker 2.
Bruh I straight up do not trust GSC. As much as I love Shadow of Chernobyl and Call of Pripyat we all know that Shadow never got the patch that was promised and instead we got the Dark Souls II of STALKRE games.

But then again there's a lot of people there that probably weren't before. But management issues are a real concern. And it's going to be on consoles so we can just hope it doesn't affect design.

Once again, the modders of STALKER will make or break it long term.

Ash

Arcane
everything is just dogshit now

a game looks interesting to me and then I read a bit about it and find out it's awful

Bro this has been the case for 15 or so years now. Since the Xbox 360/PS3 era. There is still the occasional diamond in the rough, gotta be patient and it is usually indies that deliver.
Otherwise playing old games modded, or old games you overlooked back in the day is the way forward.

wow, this thread is so boomer

you still play those old games because nostalgia factor and games were more for nerds back then - now it's more of a cash grab

it's fucking cringe to hear that good ol' boomer "those were times... now it's shit" - literally I want to vomit

Shut up retard. You literally have no perspective. No monocle. No experience. Probably just grew up with your Nintendo 64 and that is the limit of your exposure to 90s games -- A very limited and lame experience.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Are we talking about RPGs only or games in general. Because I can point you towards games that are not complete dogshit. No Far Cries or other soulless shit like that, don't worry.
I bet they are tiny indie games with no attention to detail / content.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
FFS, this is like the 4th or 5th thread we had about this shit topic in the last 2 years...

I think it's difficult to say which era had objectively the better games, when we constantly get obstructered by alot of bullshit that keeps us from looking at it objectively
Bullshit like:
- only considering the "classics" (i.e., the games still popular to this) and disregarding the remaining 95% of mediocre to awful shit from that time (not to mention titles that were obscure even them), while comparing to entirity of today's releases
- forgiving alot broken and nonsensical mechanics in the "classics", that didn't enchance them in any way (and most of the times were actual detriments) just because "muh they still figuring things out, at least they're different!"
- claiming that the classics were super creative and experimental, while at the same time ignoring any and all creative and experimental games of today
- not taking into account the different era's trends, shifts and overall context in the industry at large
- and one that probably rings especially for all oldfags here, not even playing new games because you don't have patience/disposition to play them if they don't possess certain charateristics (regardless of how good the game might be), the most common one being a focus on storytelling a "good" writting (or whatever these retards think that means), because let's be honest most codexers (especially oldfags) are nothing more than storyfags that deserve the rope

And so much more!

Anyway...
Videogames were the victims of their own success, that's why it became this massive dumb industry. It's own unfortunate but not unexpected
The bad is the decline it brought, but the good is that now they can realise the ambitions devs always dreamed of
And I now with the rise of the Indie and even the success alot of big companies had by changing their approach, I think we'll see another - late 360, early PS4 - type "dark ages" in the foreseeable future
Ultimately I would say that nowadays while alot of genres stagnated, there's also a fair amount of quality output and "revival" of "dead" genres

Also oldfags needs to retire

Last edited:

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Also oldfags needs to retire

You've got it totally backwards, oldies grew up with pure gameplay and that's why they are disappointed today. It is kids who want stories in every damn game and are happy with kid shit stories and no gameplay, proof is Steam top 100. It is only the oldies who even know how ripped off everyone is at this point. Because you have to be old to even know about JA2, TOEE, etc.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom