Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline is gaming officially over

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Also Dead Space was done better and earlier with the System Shock games.

If you think Dead Space and System Shock are the same with only slight differences you might be an idiot. Maybe even a village idiot
I think he meant the mood and setting but that was a retarded post. Gaming is fine just like movies are fine. It turns out they made shit movies in the golden age too. They made shit games in the 80's and 90's too. A lot of them.
They literally set out to make System Shock 3 by playing the first 2 games over and over, you dumb fucks. They changed it mid development because of Resident Evil 4. If you think it is so different to System Shock to not be compared then you are a dumb in denial piece of shit. Also Big Boss you are also a no taste retard.

You sound butthurt. Was it something we said you imbecile

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I'm a no taste retard because I told people to stop supporting shitty games and buy good ones.

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
I think he meant the mood and setting but that was a retarded post. Gaming is fine just like movies are fine. It turns out they made shit movies in the golden age too. They made shit games in the 80's and 90's too. A lot of them.
at least they typically finished them in a few years and aren't gaslighting you to pay for it before they're even done with it

Nobody forces you retards to buy DLC, Season Passes, and every entry of popular franchise even though you act like you hate it.
a dlc in pillars has more content than a full early access game

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
this isn't helping the games are just fine argument
If you ignore AAA shit as I do for the most part games are doing fine. There's a lot of quality titles being made by passionate devs catering to a verity of niche audiences, and we're seeing a revival of genres and ideas that were long thought dead.

I'd even argue that while games nowadays tend to be formulaic, at the very least many of them achieve average playability, which was not always the case with more experimental games from decades past. What we see as a trend towards the derivative is merely natural selection at work - developers don't feel the need to reinvent the wheel because someone already came up with the most optimal solution to a given problem.

I'm not going to pretend it's a new golden age, but the industry is certainly much better than it was around the XBox 360/PS3 era.

Also, and this must be said, people simply tend to forget just how much shit was being released back in the 90s and early 00s, only remembering the good games that have stood the test of time.

Just how many Doom clones came out during the 90s that nobody talks about nowadays?

Also Dead Space was done better and earlier with the System Shock games
I disagree. While Dead Space takes a lot of inspiration from System Shock 2, it's a very different game that aims to do different things. Also, even if the two were to be compared directly, no one can deny that DS1 does a better job in some aspects than SS2.

SS1 was better and a million years ago. The fact that new games aren't much better is just a total disaster and all you morons trying to argue are born yesterday.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
at least they typically finished them in a few years and aren't gaslighting you to pay for it before they're even done with it

Nobody forces you retards to buy DLC, Season Passes, and every entry of popular franchise even though you act like you hate it.

Ok. Stop buying Early Access games. I know I don't.

I'm a no taste retard because I told people to stop supporting shitty games and buy good ones.
Exactly. And the ones you suggest are fucking retarded. You sound about 12 or brain damaged.

I didn't suggest any.

the mole

Learned
Shitposter

there are no non early access games anymore

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot

They made a lot of shit games in the 80ies too
That's what shit kids say about music. Do you argue that about music too? Music today is fine and there was shit in the 80s so...

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

That's what shit kids say about music. Do you argue that about music too? Music today is fine and there was shit in the 80s so...

Yes. Once you stop huffing nostalgia fumes you realize this is true

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot

Yes
Well you are wrong about that too.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot

Yes. Once you stop huffing nostalgia fumes you realize this is true
It's not nostalgia I wasn't even born for most of the stuff I enjoy. I can compare new to old because I know both. It's called experience.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
If you think Dead Space and System Shock are the same with only slight differences you might be an idiot. Maybe even a village idiot

They are so painfully obviously related, in fact Dead Space was started as System Shock 3.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Games are more reliant on multiplayer -player to player interaction, which for me is a complete decline. Your enjoyment of game is heavily dependent on your time and emphasis for socialization -kinda silly when you are >30 years old. Thankfully RPGs are not corrupted by "onlinization" but on the other hand, the pozzium problem is getting more pronounced.

Bigg Boss

Arcane

You buy them when they are finished.

the mole

Learned
Shitposter

You buy them when they are finished.
how long will that take

do you think encased is "finished"

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I don't know or care enough to get butthurt about it. You are too attached to games. If you are so attached to something to mention it like that maybe you are the problem. Maybe you don't understand how expensive it costs to make games. Maybe you should be more fucking patient. Games will come or they won't and people will make them anyway like AoD and UnderRail. Where did those games come from? Did they get lots of press and money? No, but they exist. That is all that matters to me as a video game player.

In the 90's you had to buy a magazine to even see five screenshots.

Falksi

Arcane
Also oldfags needs to retire

You've got it totally backwards, oldies grew up with pure gameplay and that's why they are disappointed today. It is kids who want stories in every damn game and are happy with kid shit stories and no gameplay, proof is Steam top 100. It is only the oldies who even know how ripped off everyone is at this point. Because you have to be old to even know about JA2, TOEE, etc.

I'm fucking loving how lockdowns and delayed releases "forced" kids to delve into older games though. The younger gen who have just spent the past 18 months at home with dad on his 90's games now have that seed planted in them.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Also oldfags needs to retire

You've got it totally backwards, oldies grew up with pure gameplay and that's why they are disappointed today. It is kids who want stories in every damn game and are happy with kid shit stories and no gameplay, proof is Steam top 100. It is only the oldies who even know how ripped off everyone is at this point. Because you have to be old to even know about JA2, TOEE, etc.

I'm fucking loving how lockdowns and delayed releases "forced" kids to delve into older games though. The younger gen who have just spent the past 18 months at home with dad on his 90's games now have that seed planted in them.

God I hope not.

It's pointless trying to convince newfags that the ship has sailed decades ago. They really do think there are "innovative" new games and that every single genre didn't hit a brick wall 20+ years ago, some of them having disappeared entirely, others having been so incredibly dumbed down as to be almost unrecognizable, because they weren't around to see it. Even if they were to play a "classic" game from 25 years ago, they would be completely oblivious to its place in history, its impact, and the feeling of seeing technology improve at breakneck pace, of the boundless possibilities ahead, because they're used to iterative non-improvements and breadcrumbs and the piddling rat-race of today.

I does feel like I'm an old man yelling at the clouds, saying "get off my lawn" etc. That's precisely what it is, and I'm fine with it.

iu

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
"Creative and experimental" today is rather obviously associated with some quirky xddd indie titles with zero tech behind them

Ah yes, because tech is the only qualifier of creativity and experimentation in videogames
Not gameplay concepts or anything

Bullshit. Even lesser games (6-8/10 range) back then destroy most modern shit.

This question is rather is pointless to discuss it with you of all people, since you're a special autist that insists in the "REmake bad, original le good" hipster take

Pathologic 2, Subnautica, Paper Please, Rain World, Return of the Obra Dinn, Kingdom Come, Factorio, No One Lives Under the Lighthouse, Sunless Skies, Cultist Simulator, Darwood, EYE
Of cource then you have indie mega projects like: Star Sector, Kenshi, CDDA, Dwarf Fortress, yada yada
I am sure there's more out there...

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Gaming is great, actually. Lots of choices, both past and new. Obviously AAA publishers like EA and Activision have been releasing (mostly online focused) garbage for quite some time now, but they are not the only game in town anymore.... It doesn't help that gpu manufacturers have created a cartel and have been doing price fixing constantly for the last 5 years or so. Plus shortage of new consoles. This means AAA developers don't have incentives to really invest in AAA experiences for the next gen due to high costs and low potential playerbase. But things are going to improve in the next 1-2 years, especially since Intel is releasing dGPUs soon to rape Nshitia and Aayyymmmshit assholes.

Until that happens, and masterpieces like Starfield get released, you can still play Skyrim SE and Fallout 4. Life is good.

stop playing all the overhyped mainstream games and try those hidden gems suggested in the codex i guess

Bruh, he is a codex forum member, he knows all about the garbage the codex suggests... Obviously he doesn't like those because he is a normal human being and not an autist living in his mom's basement.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Anyone looking for a great recent non-RPG should immediately try Troubleshooter: Abandoned Children, a squad-based tactics game with intricate character customization and progression, excellent encounter design, and engaging mechanics.

xHpvssG.jpg

2rjTYVX.jpg

Tactics-Is-The-New-RPG.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom