Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Describe a game in such a way that it's impossible to guess what it actually is. Others guess.

Codex Year of the Donut
It was an infectious disease caused by experimenting on bats.

Sharpedge

Prophet
You are already dead, you just are not aware of it yet.
If you had done nothing, nothing bad would have happened.
An over-reliance on medical substances could lead to an undesirable outcome.
Your companions include a mercenary and a corpse.
Everyone is going mad and its your job to stop it.
The main plot is heavily influenced by Carl Jung's idea that humanity has a collective consciousness (seriously, this clue is damn obvious).
The protagonist has daddy issues.
Don't trust the rock wizards.
Sunlight is a novelty to you.
A bad biblical analogy for the plot could be, "Moses just started unleashing the plagues and you are on the Pharaoh's task force to investigate them."
In this story, investigative task force A went missing and you are on the B team.
An ally from previous installments meets their untimely demise.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
What has no weight, can be seen with the naked eye, and if you put it in a hole, it will make the hole lighter?
I think the dungeon is talking to me.
The main plot is heavily influenced by Carl Jung's idea that humanity has a collective consciousness (seriously, this clue is damn obvious).
Dragon Age: Awakening?

Sharpedge

Prophet
What has no weight, can be seen with the naked eye, and if you put it in a hole, it will make the hole lighter?
I think the dungeon is talking to me.
Dragon Age: Awakening?
No, but I can see how the clues would definitely match that. In order to differentiate this game from Awakening, here is another clue.

You begin the game as a shipwreck survivor and depending on your choices, you can end the game in a very similar way.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
A bad biblical analogy for the plot could be, "Moses just started unleashing the plagues and you are on the Pharaoh's task force to investigate them."
In this story, investigative task force A went missing and you are on the B team.

A bit far fetched, but since : a) there is a wizard prisoner of a rock, b) most of the game is underground and c) you're sent to set things right after the first party of heroes led by Athan fucked up, I'd say : "Pool of Radiance : Ruins of Myth Drannor".

V_K

Arcane
Exile/Avernum 3?

Sharpedge

Prophet
Exile/Avernum 3?
Took a while for someone to get this one, but yep.

V_K

Arcane
Exile/Avernum 3?
I have zero memory of rock wizards and team A there :oops:
EDIT: Ah, you mean the big bad is a rock wizard. That was deviously cryptic :cool:

Sharpedge

Prophet
Exile/Avernum 3?
I have zero memory of rock wizards and team A there :oops:
EDIT: Ah, you mean the big bad is a rock wizard. That was deviously cryptic :cool:
You are never introduced to team A, you are simply told they disappeared and so they send you out to find what became of them.

vazha

Arcane
In this game, you discover that not only are you the patient zero for your own species, but also the progenitor (gasp!) of your own entire race. Something you are none too pleased about.
Second hint: Quite probably the best "Little N Large" pairing in the history of RPGs. Kevin Phillips & Niall Quinn would be quite proud. That is if their job was mangling & assassinating people instead of banging goals in on weekly basis.
Third hint: Everybody EXPECTS the Spanish Inquisition!

Sharpedge

Prophet
Will she, nil she, the Lady of the Tower at Charm is at war with her husband once more.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Yes, there are four paths you can go by, but in the long run
There's still time to change the road you're on

Ordnung muss nicht sein.

Thirteen floors of hurt.

Danger thus reveals its face.
Dungeon Master
That's interesting. It's definitely DM, but the only part that is not adding are 13 levels. DM had 10? 14? something like that, I think (and Legend of Grimrock - 13, I finished it recently) Chaos Strikes Back, then? First levels of CSB were indeed constant hurt. Especially when you made that leap of faith into the lower levels.

You level up in it, and when you level up, your character gets better at some things. Also, there's magic. Plus swords. Also magic swords. You have to get better at fighting and such throughout the game, because the final boss is too strong for a level 1 character. Luckily, the population of monsters just so happens to be distributed weakest to strongest, and you start in the area where the monsters are weak!

Also sometimes you rest at inns.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
You level up in it, and when you level up, your character gets better at some things. Also, there's magic. Plus swords. Also magic swords. You have to get better at fighting and such throughout the game, because the final boss is too strong for a level 1 character. Luckily, the population of monsters just so happens to be distributed weakest to strongest, and you start in the area where the monsters are weak!

Also sometimes you rest at inns.

What is your mother's vagina, Alex?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom