Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I'm looking for a game where I start out with 10s in every stat

FriendlyMerchant

1. There is no such thing as "RPG combat."

No, this is the thing that most separates RPGs from other games. In games like Mario/Metroid/Arkham/etc, enemies are more difficult to dodge and require more precise button-pressing on the part of the player. A key element of RPGs is abstracting prowess in combat away from player skill. This line is blurry in Action RPGs like Skyrim, but still applies. In other words, you can defeat enemies more easily in Skyrim by leveling up your preferred weapon skill tree. I don't disagree that it is a poor system. It is in no way representative of GOOD RPG combat, but it is still more stat-dependent than reflex dependent.

You can defeat your enemies more easily in borderlands by leveling to cause enemies to drop more powerful weapons and using those more powerful weapons. Yet borderlands is not an rpg. Increasing damage numbers does not make a game or its combat system an rpg. Bigger damage numbers do not represent a character getting better at combat either. There's not much difference between a guy with 15 in one handed using a longsword he crafted and enhanced with 100 smithing and a guy with 100 one handed using an unenhanced version. One does a lot of damage purely because he got the big damage number weapon. In other words, you can simply interpret the game as leveling all the weapons in the game for you. The other just got a multiplier than makes his weapons into big damage weapons. A real rpg would either frontload the effective use of swords to character creation or actively change how swords function (not just making damage numbers big) and how your character actually uses them whether the way the character uses the sword becomes more consistent or even representing it with hit/miss chances. Skyrim is like its fellow looter shooters with rpg elements in that gameplay is identical whether or not you're at level 1 or level 50 or whether you have 15 in one handed or 100 in one handed. You just have two numbers that effect damage instead of one number like most looter shooters.

Action RPGs like Skyrim
As argued in my post, Skyrim is not an action rpg. It's not even an rpg. It's a looter-shooter/action-adventure game.

Exploration is not even an rpg element

Exploration is the heart of an RPG. Whether you think that RPGs should be inspired by D&D or by retaining similarities to Wizardry, exploration is a key element of RPGs.

You're so wrong that I have to repeat what I already said. Exploration exists in most genres of video games. It exists in Zelda games. It exists minecraft. It exists in survival games. You an argue something like Tomb raider games. At the same time, its possible to run an rpg where its just a series of combat maps that exist only to facilitate combat encounters while the games are combat focused rpgs where everything that happens and the character effectiveness

The three pillars of RPGs are usually phrased as "combat, exploration, and role-playing". I agree that Skyrim's combat, exploration, and especially role-playing leave a lot to be desired, but it seems silly to say it's not an RPG, when it very clearly is one. It just happens to be the most watered-down RPG I've played.

Except its possible to have an rpg without combat. Also, roleplaying can be done in any game. You can roleplay in fps games. Your loose "three pillars" statement applies to many games that are not rpgs. There's combat and exploration in GTA: SA. You can also roleplay in GTA. But SA is not an rpg. This is how wrong you are. You're just using buzzphrases without thinking about what it means.

dacencora

Except its possible to have an rpg without combat
'

If this was your stance, you could have said so from the get-go. Obviously you and I will never agree on what an RPG is. That's alright, though. You are more than welcome to your opinion.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Gifted in Fallout is like cheating
You get fewer perks and that is quite a bit of problem. If you have +1 to each stat, and higher stats don't need more points per rise, then gifted just delay some really needed perks, perks like rising attribute. If you don't min max character, it helps a lot.

FriendlyMerchant

'

If this was your stance, you could have said so from the get-go. Obviously you and I will never agree on what an RPG is. That's alright, though. You are more than welcome to your opinion.

You don't even have an idea of what an rpg is and show no sign of ever having thought about what it is. That's alright though. You are more than welcome to be entirely incorrect out of ignorance.

dacencora

'

You don't even have an idea of what an rpg is and show no sign of ever having thought about what it is. That's alright though. You are more than welcome to be entirely incorrect out of ignorance.

That's alright, buddy. You can think whatever you'd like.

FriendlyMerchant

Yet borderlands is not an rpg.
why?
Because borderlands is an fps that has little or no bearing on the character when it comes to gameplay.
is fallout new vegas an rpg?

Fallout New Vegas has a lot going for it on the character skills side of things whereas borderlands doesn't have anything like New Vegas. New Vegas checks for skills regularly. Borderlands doesn't even have skills. New Vegas has ways to reflect character skills in its gameplay other than increasing damage numbers such as perks that expand the gameplay. New Vegas is much much closer to being an rpg than borderlands.

Codex Year of the Donut
Yet borderlands is not an rpg.
why?
Because borderlands is an fps that has little or no bearing on the character when it comes to gameplay.
is fallout new vegas an rpg?

Fallout New Vegas has a lot going for it on the character skills side of things whereas borderlands doesn't have anything like New Vegas. New Vegas checks for skills regularly. Borderlands doesn't even have skills. New Vegas has ways to reflect character skills in its gameplay other than increasing damage numbers such as perks that expand the gameplay. New Vegas is much much closer to being an rpg than borderlands.
combat is the definitive part of an RPG, and it's the one that matters most when judging whether a game is an RPG

FriendlyMerchant

An RPG without combat is not an RPG.

combat is the definitive part of an RPG, and it's the one that matters most when judging whether a game is an RPG

That's simply not true. Tell that to the Disco Elysium players whether or not you think DE is actual an rpg. Also, you can find people who write tabletop campaigns without combat. At the same time, it's possible to make something like an rpg designed to be a medieval life simulator that aims to simulate the life of a peaceful character in a medieval city or town like a local merchant, farmer, artisan, etc. You just have to be creative with the actual scenarios and settings. Centering the game around the simulation of a character and its skillsets, talents, background, personality, and attributes are much more important in defining what an rpg is than whether or not combat is in the game. Combat is just a possibility of what an rpg can be designed around.

Codex Year of the Donut

That's simply not true. Tell that to the Disco Elysium players whether or not you think DE is actual an rpg. Also, you can find people who write tabletop campaigns without combat. At the same time, it's possible to make something like an rpg designed to be a medieval life simulator that aims to simulate the life of a peaceful character in a medieval city or town like a local merchant, farmer, artisan, etc. You just have to be creative with the actual scenarios and settings. Centering the game around the simulation of a character and its skillsets, talents, background, personality, and attributes are much more important in defining what an rpg is than whether or not combat is in the game. Combat is just a possibility of what an rpg can be designed around.
The definition of an RPG is how close it is to AD&D
DE is nothing like AD&D, it is not an RPG.

dacencora

Either AD&D OR Wizardry is acceptable in my book. (Also because Wizardry was inspired by recreating the feeling of AD&D when nobody else could play with you)

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
If Hipster Communism is a rpg then so is King of Dragon Pass. So is a WWF game for the PS2 where your wrestler has stats and c&c.

So there really are no computer rpgs since none of them truly replicate AD&D. Thanks for the input.
He said how close, which I imagine means something to him, I'm not digging through piles of shit to find out what.

dacencora

Gold Box games are pretty close to AD&D, seeing as they are extremely faithful in implementing the rules. The Dark Sun games by the same developer are similarly very close to AD&D. Knights of the Chalice very faithfully implements the OGL ruleset.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Gifted in Fallout is like cheating
You get fewer perks and that is quite a bit of problem. If you have +1 to each stat, and higher stats don't need more points per rise, then gifted just delay some really needed perks, perks like rising attribute. If you don't min max character, it helps a lot.
Gifted doesn't reduce perk rate. That's Skilled. Gifted reduces your base skill values and skill points per level, and is completely OP to the point that you might as well be cheating.

FriendlyMerchant

If Hipster Communism is a rpg then so is King of Dragon Pass. So is a WWF game for the PS2 where your wrestler has stats and c&c.

So there really are no computer rpgs since none of them truly replicate AD&D. Thanks for the input.
He said how close, which I imagine means something to him, I'm not digging through piles of shit to find out what.
The problem is that there's a mile between the actual games what you can actually do in AD&D.

I too strongly feel that universally agreed terms are wrong, and only my super secret definition is right, and also, I refuse to explain my definition.

But rest assured, by my true and objective standards, the only RPG to have ever existed is Big Rig: Over the road racing.

Desert Fish

Educated
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I have a game to recommend. It's as balanced or unbalanced as you choose.

It's called Cheat Engine. It's a little boring on its own, though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom