Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The topic of good/okay/what the fuck is this VIDEO GAME PORTS!

• Thread starter Generic-Giant-Spider
  • Start date

Generic-Giant-Spider

This is where we talk about ports of games, typically good or great games, to lesser hardware that are either surprisingly decent, a good attempt, or such piles of shit they have somehow become endearing. List whatever you want or hold unbridled nostalgia for.

I'd like it if you try to stick to games that would present a challenge of porting over, so no Tetris for Game Boy because it's Tetris and that is impossible to actually fuck up.

Let's start this one off with something hot and heavy.

Do you remember the Game.com? Chances are if you lived in the '90s and bought gaming mags you likely saw an ad for this thing and more notably, the ad for Resident Evil 2. The Game.com itself was this chimeric hellbeast of handheld console and palm pilot which included a stylus, touchscreen and even internet access. It's kind of an interesting piece if you look it up but then you see it was made by Tiger Electronics and you know where this is going. The biggest problem was the Game.com had poor lighting and this made the whole thing barely visible to both the human and eagle eye. Aside from that, the second biggest problem is the Game.com itself had shitty ports of games.

This is Resident Evil 2 in the year of our lord 1998. Now the screenshots in magazines made this seem somewhat good, in fact considering our other handhelds at this moment were Game Boy and, uh, Game Boy, I'd dare say it looked great. But as you can see from the video above, this was one hideously shit port. The FPS alone is barely legal and borderlines on virtual constipation but if you bother to watch that video entirely you'll see about 75% of RE2 has been completely cut out and it all makes no sense. Dogshit. Cool game.

Now if you did have gaming mags from this whole era, at some point in the late 90s and early 00s you no doubt saw the promise that Baldur's Gate was coming to PS1 and Dreamcast. It never actually did. What did surface years later though was a PS1 prototype of BG1 for the Playstation that certainly looks interesting to say the least.

But it's not always doom and gloom. Sometimes a port of a popular game series is released that is not only shockingly good but in some cases actually much better or on par with the big bro. This is the case with Metal Gear Solid for the Game Boy Color which while technically is a standalone game called Ghost Babel, was advertised and sold over here as simply Metal Gear Solid. It harkens back to the original Metal Gear games somewhat but retains everything you liked about the MGS game itself. It even has entire puzzle sequences of cardboard boxes and conveyor belts to travel around this terrorist base and if that's not enough includes a bunch of VR missions including combat VR. If that doesn't get your Kojima boner riled up, get this: the game has text-based cutscenes that can go on for at least fifteen minutes. I kid you not, I had my battery actually DIE on me mid-cutscene during one of these after a boss fight with that incel creep Marionette Owl and I was losing my shit IRL for a good five minutes. I do vividly recall going face down on my bed and flailing my arms and legs around wildly in what can only be called a good ol fashioned temper tantrum while screaming into my pillow. I did that entire shit without Night Vision goggles on so I felt it's justified.

Anyways, tight game. I still recommend it today if you've never tried.

Now it's your fucking turn. I'm tired of doing all the goddamn work around here.

Reality

Learned
So Cel Damage..

R.43b9c8719a175af0a8baa121f6275ef9

This is basically a "party game-ified" Car Combat style game (twisted metal). and on the Surface the PS2/Xbox/Gamecube games are identical. But actually there is one major difference- PS2/Xbox have a health bar, while the gamecube makes EVERYTHING a 1 hit kill. It's total madness with cars being sawed in half, set on fire, etc. (The currently available digiital HD version on steam/switch/etc is based on versions with hit points)

That said I have a soft spot for the gamecube version as it was fun for drunk nights of multiplayer and was a change of pace from the other games.

I've done a few dives into ALL the Star Control 1 versions

MS-DoS, Genesis, Amiga, C64, Amstrad CPC, ZX-Spectrum

star-control_1.png

DOS - original version with 9 missions playable from both sides. Very makeshift sound effect design. Brutal enemy AI (the infamous arilou teleporting away 1 frame before any projectile hits them)

Amiga - backports the SC2 sound effects, is generally considered the best version of SC1
Genesis - backports the SC2 sound effects, increases number of missions to 15 .... Has MASSIVE Slowdown compared to DOS / Amiga, but kind of a minor classic on Genesis anyway

C64 / Amstrad CPC - Aliens are now 4 vs 4 - Hierachy gets Ur-Quan/Ilwrath/Androsynth/Umgah while Alliance gets Chenjesu/Human/Mycon/Yehat... Battles take place in a planet-less square arena (still with screen wrapping) Ships and ship balance can be pretty drastic from what playing the proper game will teach you ---- Ur-Quan Dreadnought launches fighters that Fire actual ranged bullets instead of lasers, the Earthling ship has No Cooldown whatsoever on its point defense, letting it melt absolutely anything, the Androsynth blazer tackle does exactlly 1 damage, freezes yourself in place, and just does semi-infinite knockback. Features a single scenario which bizarre starts both players with 99 Starbucks, although you can create your own scenarios if you wanted.

ZX-Spectrum - Same as above, but Earthling is a lot less crazy with the Energy regen. Classic Spectrum Color Attribute Clash too.

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
There was a Wolfenstein 3D port on TI calculators (for the custom Mirage OS) that was surprisingly good. Looked like it was a complete one, levels were huge with items and enemies variety, but never finished it. Was fun playing a 3D game on a calculator though.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I've done a few dives into ALL the Star Control 1 versions

MS-DoS, Genesis, Amiga, C64, Amstrad CPC, ZX-Spectrum

star-control_1.png

DOS - original version with 9 missions playable from both sides. Very makeshift sound effect design. Brutal enemy AI (the infamous arilou teleporting away 1 frame before any projectile hits them)

Amiga - backports the SC2 sound effects, is generally considered the best version of SC1
Genesis - backports the SC2 sound effects, increases number of missions to 15 .... Has MASSIVE Slowdown compared to DOS / Amiga, but kind of a minor classic on Genesis anyway

C64 / Amstrad CPC - Aliens are now 4 vs 4 - Hierachy gets Ur-Quan/Ilwrath/Androsynth/Umgah while Alliance gets Chenjesu/Human/Mycon/Yehat... Battles take place in a planet-less square arena (still with screen wrapping) Ships and ship balance can be pretty drastic from what playing the proper game will teach you ---- Ur-Quan Dreadnought launches fighters that Fire actual ranged bullets instead of lasers, the Earthling ship has No Cooldown whatsoever on its point defense, letting it melt absolutely anything, the Androsynth blazer tackle does exactlly 1 damage, freezes yourself in place, and just does semi-infinite knockback. Features a single scenario which bizarre starts both players with 99 Starbucks, although you can create your own scenarios if you wanted.

ZX-Spectrum - Same as above, but Earthling is a lot less crazy with the Energy regen. Classic Spectrum Color Attribute Clash too.

I had a not-so thorough look at the Star Control-ports recently, and I think the CPC and Spectrum ports are outright horrible. The CPC uses its 'Mode 1' graphics mode (320x200 resolution with only 4 colors) and then lets the ship info panel take up half the screen. For a game that placed such a heavy emphasis on color, this is a human rights violation. The Spectrum-version actually has more color than the CPC-version.

The C-64 is not as horrible because it dodges two bullets: It doesn't try to deceive the player into thinking the playfield is anything more than just that single screen, and it actually plays at a decent speed. As a result it feels a lot like Spacewar, which is the game Star Control is ripping off.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
As for conversions that are notable from their original, I give you two examples from the Amstrad CPC:

Renegade is a side-scrolling beat'em-up where the Japanese original had the setting themed around a high school and its gangs. The Western-releases dropped the high school-aspect completely and went all-in on the gangs. The protagonist's girlfriend has been kidnapped, and he's out to save her.

Here's the arcade version. Note the graphics, scrolling and music.

Now here's the CPC-version. Note the differences.

Those graphics look a little chunky, but they're the best the CPC can offer with this many colors. Another point of note is the (lack of) scrolling, as it's an open secret that the CPC couldn't scroll for shit. This 'push-scrolling' was the best workaround coders could come up with. Despite that, the game plays really good. The soundchip tries its best to capture the rockabilly-feel of the soundtrack, but surprisingly was outdone by the 128k Spectrum-version, which eliminated all the warbliness.

The CPC-version also has lots of little differences that push it ahead. Dead baddies actually bleed on the ground instead of having stars fly above their heads, and make sure to check the end sequence for a nice grab.

But that's not all. The same coding group also did another CPC-conversion of a game they called Gryzor, but everyone else calls Contra:

The same graphics-style, the same push-scroll effect, a decent attempt at the soundtrack. Here the push-scroll drags the gameplay down a bit, but otherwise this is another excellent conversion, even though it only has three levels. (Shame about the anti-climactic ending.)

RuySan

Augur
I still think the spectrum conversion of r-type to be absolutely brilliant, and the biggest technological feat on the machine. I still play it from time to time, even though I could launch finalburn neo to play the original.

Rod-land on the Amiga is imo better than the already great arcade original. Might have smaller graphics, but has nicer colours, and the remixed order of levels work better. And has usual, the Amiga has better sound.

Generic-Giant-Spider

I think one of the most impressive ports I've ever seen done is Street Fighter Alpha 3 for Game Boy Advance. To put some of this into perspective, many years prior Capcom did a port of SFAlpha 2 for SNES with mixed results. Tons of corners had to be cut and a special decompression chip was added into the cart itself just to make the game playable while also having very noticeable slowdown moments and load times between fights and rounds. Assuming Alpha 3 for the GBA of all things would be worse was a fair assumption to make but somehow, some way, the crackerjacks did it.

Not only is this Alpha 3 with all the characters plus three additional fighters not in the arcade or home console ports (Eagle, Maki, Yun) but it has the modes and ISMs as well. The only notable difference you'll make is there are limited backgrounds and soundtracks along with some character voices sounding off or heavily muffled. Otherwise it's an extremely faithful port of the original that kind of got overshadowed a couple years later when the PSP version came out which became the definitive version for most people.

And on the flipside of this, let me present to you one of the shittiest fighting game ports that had zero excuse to suck this much hermaphrodite cock of all time.

The less said the better.

Unwanted

†††

Patron
I still can't decide if the XBOX Half-Life 2 port is impressive or not. It tried to be as faithful as possible which is impressive given it's running on an oversized toaster, but the trade-off is having terrible framerate most of the time.

A horse of course

The most interesting ports, to me, are the ones that were changed to match what was considered to be the prevailing tastes of the majority of the that platform's audience. In the 80s and 90s, you had ports that used the same base game, but completely changed the game's mechanics to make them more like the most popular gameplay style on that platform - they would potentially turn the base game into a completely different genre. Even those that didn't go quite so far may well have totally different art styles and music scores, sometimes of technological reasons, but sometimes because of individual censorship policies or which country was considered the primary market. This was a lot less common by the PS1 era, where games were mostly the same but with better or worse graphics, maybe the levels chopped up due to memory limitations, and so on.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
One port that always fascinated me was the C64 port of Elvira. Take an Amiga game, one of its finest. Uses the platform to the fullest, mouse, detailed pixel art, and I think Mod music. Then, port that to the C64, a system not known for any of those things. You can tell they tried to make it work, but that version just doesn't compare.
Another adventure game related thing are the MacVenture games, Deja Vu, Uninvited and Shadowgate. Very few people have played the original versions, since they were on the Macintosh, from the 1-bit era. That's changed recently, since I think the newer Steam versions also allow you to play the ported versions, but before then the only way to play it properly was through a crummy Macintosh emulator.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
I still think the spectrum conversion of r-type to be absolutely brilliant, and the biggest technological feat on the machine. I still play it from time to time, even though I could launch finalburn neo to play the original.

R-Type on the Spectrum is amazing. Amstrad CPC owners, who had gotten used to lazy Speccy ports, were quite excited over the Spectrum-version because that meant the CPC-version had a good chance of being good.

Uhm... that didn't happen. Instead the CPC got this:

It starts out looking and feeling fine... but that quickly changes. Where's the music? Where's the color? Why is everything in slow-motion?

But if CPC users are anything, it's patient. Because in 2012 a 128k-version was released and it looks (and sounds) like this:

You see, a lot of good conversions have appeared on the CPC in recent years. R-Type is but the tip of the iceberg.

The next time someone slags off the CPC, I show them the Pinball Dreams-conversion from 2019.

Remember when I said the CPC couldn't scroll for shit? I lied.

And if that doesn't convince anyone, here's Alcon/Slap Fight in a 2020-remake:

Which is due for another update since this release, which will have the game running at 25 Hz, or 50 FPS. Not bad for an 8-bit microcomputer that can't scroll for shit. ;)

EDIT: Error spotted. Corrected.

Last edited:

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Ubik for PS1 tries to cram the PC original (3 CDs) onto a single CD, which is always a great idea!

In the end, you get constant loading, unreadable icons, blurry low-res graphics, and pretty shit controls.

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I had the Amstrad version of Ghosts 'n Goblins. They didn't include all levels, it just loops endlessly after level 4, you also die in one hit, so even getting there was super hard when I was a kid. Not a good port, but I still played it a ton. One thing that I like better than in the NES/Pegasus version is the music, one of my favorite themes on Amstrad.

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
I had the Amstrad version of Ghosts 'n Goblins. They didn't include all levels, it just loops endlessly after level 4, you also die in hit, so even getting there was super hard when I was a kid. Not a good port, but I still played it a ton. One thing that I like better than in the NES/Pegasus version is the music, one of my favorite themes on Amstrad.

The music on the CPC is the only redeeming feature of that port. David Whittaker is one of the chiptune gods.

Which is why you might be interested in this:

In fact, there are TWO remakes out there, though the one below is still a Work in Progress:

Generic-Giant-Spider

Guilty Gear X on GBA was a pretty noble attempt in all fairness to it. Awe of She on GBA is still a real banger.

Despite the fact that MK Advance was steaming dogshit, MK did redeem itself somewhat with the Deadly Alliance GBA port which actually did well in trying to replicate the console versions.

It even includes THE KRYPT but it's cut down in size and a majority of the unlockables are palette swaps for the characters in the game. The game also doesn't have Reptile in it so that makes it gay by default.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom