Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Capcom Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

curds

Magister
I love this game very much, but come on, the Grigori fight fucking sucks.
How does he sucks? His size? The cinematic sequences? Because other than that, he's really no different than the other draconic minibosses at all.
Bunch of cinematics/QTEs then the last bit which is an actual fight is fine, but nothing special.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Pinwheel isn't even a boss. The area before him is the boss. He's just an item box you gotta smack a few times to get open. What the fuck.

What the fuck.

Suicidal

Arcane

Soon brother

afkgaming%2F2021-08%2F79649079-d0e7-4acd-853b-6a2b92797da3%2Fcopium_png.png

Some more whining from Black Angel, that guy really needs to up his Valium, eh? :)

Bit late but-

Your weapon is part if your character's identity,
Really? I can't remember many rpgs where I took a single weapon and stuck with very long. Favorite type of weapon? Sure. But favoured individual weapon- I can't recall any really. Not in most rpgs at least, especially where moveset is dependent on weapon set and not weapon.

At any given time, you have a single weapon. Sure, you upgrade them over time, but at any given moment, you associate wiuth the weapon you have. Which would be different from carrying a bunch of "tools".

As far as Pinwheel or whatever, you all whine about it, but the fact remains, I completed all these games, and vast majority of you don't (according to Steam statistics). So keep whining, I am still better. :)

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

mogwaimon

Magister
As far as Pinwheel or whatever, you all whine about it, but the fact remains, I completed all these games, and vast majority of you don't (according to Steam statistics). So keep whining, I am still better. :)

I can't speak for everyone else but I've beaten all the Soulsborne games at least once except for DS3...and that was only coz I got bored after Abyss Watchers and haven't booted it up in like six months

praetor

Arcane
How does he sucks? His size? The cinematic sequences? Because other than that, he's really no different than the other draconic minibosses at all.
Bunch of cinematics/QTEs then the last bit which is an actual fight is fine, but nothing special.

in what alien language does this translate to "the fight fucking sucks"?

I can't speak for everyone else but I've beaten all the Soulsborne games at least once except for DS3...and that was only coz I got bored after Abyss Watchers and haven't booted it up in like six months

Yeah, everyone always has an excuse... Meanwhile Porky completes all these games, on high difficulties.

:hmmm:

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

Yeah, everyone always has an excuse... Meanwhile Porky completes all these games, on high difficulties.

What game have you completed on a high difficulty?

I am glad you asked. It would take me way too much time to list all the games I've beaten, so let me just do a short sampler below:

Dark Souls 1-3
Kingmaker on Challenging
D:OS on Tactician
KCD on Hardcore
Dragon's Dogma obviously
etc

Last edited:

curds

Magister

in what alien language does this translate to "the fight fucking sucks"?
The boss fight the whole game has been leading up to until that point is five minutes of QTE followed by average actual battle. Cmon man it's lame.

Played a bit of Bitterblack Isle at level 53. I can take on regular monsters with ease (e.g. Trolls, Giant Saurians, etc), but the bosses take way too little damage. A lot of people suggest going there at level 100+, I am definitely not grinding that much. Will probably call it quits at this point, though might come back later to try a different vocation.

Calm your butthurts, fanboys, here are my objective takes on Dragon's Dogma:

- The combat itself is pretty good for an aRPG, there are a ton of abilities, animations, good solid feel to it. Climbing on giant enemies is pretty neat. Compared to something like Skyrim, it's great. But on the other hand, it lacks the elegance and player skill component of something like Dark Souls. Enemies have very high damage reduction, so you can only damage them with appropriate weapon, level, enchantment, etc. Also, the way enemies often gang up on you and the way the abilities work, it's usually just easier to spam some fancy attack rather than be reactive as in real combat.

- The story has some interesting philosophical/religious overtones and novel angles, but it's mostly hidden beneath mountains of confusing writing and voice-overs, and tons of MMO-type quests. And just being the Arisen takes the whole chosen one retardation to the next level. All the NPCs keep ranting theatrical lines for every little thing, which is not a good thing either.

- Exploration isn't that great either, and what first seems like an open world continent quickly becomes a hub (Gran Soren) with a few spokes (paths you can take from there). Until you get portocrystals, it's really tedious too.

So between the combat system and some novel story angles, it's not a terrible game or anything, but too many flaws to be considered really good.

mogwaimon

Magister

:hmmm:

since when do Soulsborne games have difficulty options that you can access before beating the game? top kek mate, get back to me when you beat Sekiro, that one was more infuriating than the Souls games. And are you even playing Dragon's Dogma on hard?

curds

Magister
. Enemies have very high damage reduction, so you can only damage them with appropriate weapon, level, enchantment, etc.
I may be mistaken but I think DD has a sort of armour class system similar to DnD where if you aren't reaching the requirement you deal pretty much no damage.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom