Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect Legendary Edition remaster trilogy

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
When a grown man use the word "icky" you know he is lost.

Hellion

Arcane
Very brave of him to aknowledge this horrible mistake 11 years later. I'm sure his wife's boyfriend is really proud of how much he's matured since then.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Too bad Shepard couldn't use chad logic to explain to her that you can have self control in matters of love too.

Wunderbar

Arcane

Oh god, he goes on to apologize for this scene further down in the thread. SJWism has rotted everyone's brains.

isn't she a thousand years old or something like that? Her having a relationship with Shepard is basically a paedophilia :smug:

Last edited:

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Romances in games are degenerate enough, but the alien romances are nasty. Like people who are into romancing Garrus. It's some sort of weird bird-lizard thing with mouth flaps. What the hell?
Other than that, they really missed the opportunity by having the Tali romance culminate in her getting out of her suit and being some sort of squid-slime thing that needs the exosuit to keep a shape. Maybe that'd have hit too close to home for the average Biofan though.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Other than that, they really missed the opportunity by having the Tali romance culminate in her getting out of her suit and being some sort of squid-slime thing that needs the exosuit to keep a shape. Maybe that'd have hit too close to home for the average Biofan though.
Considering Bioware fans, that probably would have made Tali even more popular. :M

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Wvuzwx6.jpg
Her and the muscly faggot were so out of place.

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
This is about as high a bar as you can ask from a major game studio nowadays: didn’t fuck up too badly and had the restraint to pearl clutch over only a few things (mirandas butt, nevermind that i can confirm me2 still lovingly zooms in on every other character’s glutes, just not miranda’s anymore) instead of giving the whole game a modern woke makeover.

dukeofwoodberry

Educated
Wanted to add my 2 cents to the discussion about the series being better without the reapers. I agree with the consensus that the series would be better. I think it worked well in the first game. I remember thinking Sovereign was really cool and intimidating in the first game. It would be cool if stopping Sovereign delayed the reapers for hundreds of years or so. That way the threat would be in the background and could influence decisions but wouldn't be the main focus after the first game.

Everyone talked about the disjointed nature of the series and the hamfisted ending but another aspect I don't like is the paragon/renegade dynamic. It's clear in all the major decisions that the paragon option where let's all work together is superior to the humanity first renegade approach. To beat the reapers you need all the alien races to work together so there is really no reason to ever be a renegade. If the focus was on human and alien relations, there could be a lot more nuanced decision making. You could have a decision where you could help the most amount of living things in the galaxy but not humanity vs solely helping humanity. Or there could be something that helped humanity but pissed of the Asari, there's still a reaper long term threat out there, are you willing to hurt human-Asari relations?

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
It would be cool if stopping Sovereign delayed the reapers for hundreds of years or so. That way the threat would be in the background

Or just say that they were defeated but they could come back any time. You could tell so many interesting stories in the galaxy of Mass Effect 1 when everyone knows this looming threat exists.

the paragon/renegade dynamic

Bioware always struggled with the whole "alignment" issue. You see it especially in Jade Empire where they tried but failed to come up with an alternative to good versus evil. It's difficult because anyone who feels they're being painted as evil is going to be butthurt. So you see in the sequels to ME1 they drift off into these really abstract bullshit issues ("organics" vs. "synthetics" etc.).

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
It would be cool if stopping Sovereign delayed the reapers for hundreds of years or so. That way the threat would be in the background

Or just say that they were defeated but they could come back any time. You could tell so many interesting stories in the galaxy of Mass Effect 1 when everyone knows this looming threat exists.

Bioware always struggled with the whole "alignment" issue. You see it especially in Jade Empire where they tried but failed to come up with an alternative to good versus evil. It's difficult because anyone who feels they're being painted as evil is going to be butthurt. So you see in the sequels to ME1 they drift off into these really abstract bullshit issues ("organics" vs. "synthetics" etc.).
Bioware has already proven that they are perfectly capable of doing without the alignment thing in Dragon Age, where picking meanie dialogue options just makes your companions less inclined to have sex with you (which you overcome with gifts anyway, because its a Bioware game and gimping your playthrough is forbidden)

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I seriously wonder how many 14-year olds became incels because that game taught them women just want their shelves filled up with decorations, and then they put out, and that's all there is to a relationship. Just fill up that progress bar, and if nothing happens then you must be cursed. I ain't no Armenian, but that's one game mechanic that I felt was extremely demeaning to women but also to men.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Bioware has already proven that they are perfectly capable of doing without the alignment thing in Dragon Age, where picking meanie dialogue options just makes your companions less inclined to have sex with you
Unless you're going after best girl Morrigan, who only becomes hornier for a PC who's a monstrous person.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Wanted to add my 2 cents to the discussion about the series being better without the reapers. I agree with the consensus that the series would be better. I think it worked well in the first game. I remember thinking Sovereign was really cool and intimidating in the first game. It would be cool if stopping Sovereign delayed the reapers for hundreds of years or so. That way the threat would be in the background and could influence decisions but wouldn't be the main focus after the first game.

Personally i liked Shamus Young's take that the later games should have been about exploring the galaxy with the goal to find and learn ways to deal with them - they'd still be a threat (via indirect means like the Geth), just not a direct one.

dukeofwoodberry

Educated

I actually like the paragon/renegade dynamic in theory. Cooperation with other aliens vs a humanity first approach. The problem is the implementation of system where the cooperation approach is always superior. Mass Effect 3 is about bringing all the races together and uniting so essentially paragon is made canon and if you were a renegade the game basically tells the player you were an idiot. Without the reapers, we could have a more interesting system where renegade choices would have merit.

There was also some discussion about what the worst game in the series was and for me it would be 3 no doubt. I thought the kid dying in the beginning and it traumatizing Shepard was cringe after all he had been through and especially because my Shepard was more of a renegade than a paragon with the ruthless background to boot. Then all the stupid dream sequences. The horrible crucible idea, I wanted a knock drag out brawl with the reapers, not a magic button to kill them. Of course you have the awful endings but pretty much all the reaper storytelling was bad including the London mission.
Again the Sovereign reveal in the first one was cool and so was the Vigil mission, by 3 it was all a snooze and their big reveal was a total flop. The storytelling people actually like (genophage cure, resolving the quarian/geth conflict) has nothing to do with the reapers they just tie it in via war assets.

And even though the combat was technically better in 3, all the combos and stuff they added, plus the weight system made the game way too easy even on insanity. They didn't compensate enough for the increased tools they gave the player by increasing the difficulty. I'm someone who feels obligated to play on the hardest difficulty in every game and like it to actually be hard. While Mass Effect 2 wasn't that hard, it wasn't a cakewalk like 3.

dukeofwoodberry

Educated
Personally i liked Shamus Young's take that the later games should have been about exploring the galaxy with the goal to find and learn ways to deal with them - they'd still be a threat (via indirect means like the Geth), just not a direct one.

The only flaw with this approach is that in what seem like a decrescendo of sorts. In the first game you actually got to fight a reaper in Sovereign and then after that you just look for ways to deal with them. It's like the biggest baddie of the series is in game 1. Still better than what we had though considering the starchild ending. In hindsight, if they had planned for a trilogy from the start, the Sovereign stuff should have probably been the conclusion to the 3rd game in the series. Then the series would end on a cliffhanger of sorts which could bother some people, but there's really no way to end the reaper saga in satisfying fashion anyway. It's pretty stupid that you defeat Sovereign in the first game and the major leaders just don't even accept that reapers are a thing. At least if it was the last game it would end on the note that everyone is preparing for them.

moon knight

Matt7895's alt

I disagree. The trilogy has many problems, but by keeping it focused on the reapers, they told a story from start to finish. With Shamus Young's take, Bioware would've created an unfocused and disjointed collection of stories that lead nowhere. How do I know? Well, it's the route they took with Dragon Age.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom