Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Atlus Shin Megami Tensei V - It's been hurting my OCD.

Silva

Arcane
Apricate the info chaps. Sounds like one that I'll grab once the "royal" edition is released and in the sale in a year or two.

Nah. If it comes to PC I will buy you the game for free. And maybe the next four posters too.
If P5 Royal is any indicative, the SMT5 Royal version will come full of curtcenes and only the difficulty level "Journo" available.

Stay with base game.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Welp, finished the game. Honestly kind of anticlimactic given how easily I slapped everything's shit in. Definitely the easiest final boss fight if you don't count pre-Maniax Nocturne without Lucifer. I finished the game at level 83, I have no idea how I'm supposed to get to level 95 so I could fuse Beelzebub. Seems kind of overkill by that point anyway.

Tigranes

Arcane
Welp, finished the game. Honestly kind of anticlimactic given how easily I slapped everything's shit in. Definitely the easiest final boss fight if you don't count pre-Maniax Nocturne without Lucifer. I finished the game at level 83, I have no idea how I'm supposed to get to level 95 so I could fuse Beelzebub. Seems kind of overkill by that point anyway.

On Hard, I assume? I'll see where I end up, I do minimal grinding and I kite almost every mob once I've fought them once when possible.

Just fought tentacle boy, did require a couple reloads to learn the pattern but definitely at this point you have a lot of tools available to you to work it out. I mostly relied on Parvati overheal + Kannabi Veil (is this new in SMT? dmg reduction seems fairly significant but dunno the calculation) to tank it through.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron

I would say that if I wanted to go for lvl 95 it would have taken like 1-2 hours from lvl 91. Last area before end fuckness had treasure gospels + little moon guys also dropped em. I was lvl 76 before using 14 gospels.

Also did u kill
shiva
? Tried him lvl 84 but could not beat him. Was 87-88 before I managed it

Hobo Elf

Arcane
On Hard, I assume? I'll see where I end up, I do minimal grinding and I kite almost every mob once I've fought them once when possible.

Just fought tentacle boy, did require a couple reloads to learn the pattern but definitely at this point you have a lot of tools available to you to work it out. I mostly relied on Parvati overheal + Kannabi Veil (is this new in SMT? dmg reduction seems fairly significant but dunno the calculation) to tank it through.

I was playing on Normal up until I got Murakumo, then I switched to Hard as the power creep sputtered out of control by that point.

I would say that if I wanted to go for lvl 95 it would have taken like 1-2 hours from lvl 91. Last area before end fuckness had treasure gospels + little moon guys also dropped em. I was lvl 76 before using 14 gospels.

Also did u kill
shiva
? Tried him lvl 84 but could not beat him. Was 87-88 before I managed it

Haven't done him or the Egyptian guy yet either (kind of forgot about him). Typically I clear up optional content before finishing a game but this time I 'accidentally' walked into the ending. The build up at the end felt so rushed that I wasn't sure if it was still gonna go on for a bit more or not.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
I was playing on Normal up until I got Murakumo, then I switched to Hard as the power creep sputtered out of control by that point.
I was thinking you cannot switch from normal into hard. Just tell the trust and admit u are a filthy casual :smug:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I was thinking you cannot switch from normal into hard. Just tell the trust and admit u are a filthy casual :smug:
Guess that would explain why it still remained so easy. I'll just have to try a full Hard run some day, if I ever feel like coming back to this game.
Edit: I had to turn my Switch on to make sure I wasn't delirious, but it was on Normal. Oh well.

Edit edit: Jermu if you finished SMTV, how challenging was the final boss on Hard? It took me
4 turns (not press turns) to take him down, which is definitely very easy and fast for an SMT final boss, even on Normal.

Last edited:

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
Welp, finished the game.

Was there a Kaneko's version of Angel?

do you mean bondage angel? Then no

Guess that would explain why it still remained so easy. I'll just have to try a full Hard run some day, if I ever feel like coming back to this game.
Edit: I had to turn my Switch on to make sure I wasn't delirious, but it was on Normal. Oh well.

Edit edit: Jermu if you finished SMTV, how challenging was the final boss on Hard? It took me
4 turns (not press turns) to take him down, which is definitely very easy and fast for an SMT final boss, even on Normal.

dont remb but was probably the easiest boss encounter in the game

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I'm a fan of Doi's designs (Swedish Ultraman is one of my favorite demon designs), but the redesigned Angel was really meh and pointless. But worst of them was
Lucifer's new redesign.
They keep trying to reinvent him and failing. This was easily the worst one yet.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
They keep trying to reinvent him and failing. This was easily the worst one yet.

Idk what are you talking about , i love the new
Lucifer redesign

08f9d7c5fcfab2806e0ad1025bc9532c.jpg

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
ABSOLUTE TOP, UNADULTERATED, JAPANESE, KINO.

dacencora

After finishing up Metroid Dread, I booted this up, and while there’s a lot to like, the Switch is definitely not powerful enough for this game lol.

I think the toughest part for me to get past is the UI. It’s a major downgrade from IV/Strange Journey Redux. Those had very clear and easy to read UIs. It also bothers me that there’s no noise when the demons appear in the combat screen. Every other SMT I’ve played has a little summon sound for each demon that appears in an encounter. Sound effects for abilities are also less impressive than in IV, imo. Combat in IV was so slick and quick, and I feel like it’s a little less slick in V. I am excited to keep playing, but so far, I like the gameplay of IV and especially Strange Journey more than this. I will keep playing and see how my opinion changes. The Apotheosis stuff is very cool though, I definitely like that.

Berengar

Learned
Enjoying it quite a bit but yeah, to echo pretty much everyone else playing it: damn this thing is curb stomping the Switch. I'm not usually put off by stuff like pop in or frames never staying consistent but dang it weighs on me after a while.

What do you all reckon the chances of a PS or PC release are down the road? I was never too clear on whether the Switch exclusivity was permanent or not?

dacencora

OK tested it on Yuzu and Ryujinx, and while it looks quite nice at 1440p, either the emulators are not good enough, or my gfx card is not good enough to make it a more enjoyable experience than on the Switch. Still getting big stutters and the like. I really hope this gets a proper PC release because I'd like a more enjoyable way to play this. As of now, in my opinion, the Switch provides a better experience.

Silva

Arcane
These side quests are horrible. Not only most of them are pure fetch quests, but their writing is nonsensic and infantile. This breaks completely my belief in the setting as something remotely serious, and is slowly draining my will to play the game:

- I have self-esteem problems. Can you help me by beating X?

- I want to eat omelet. Can you rob an egg from Jakayu to me?

- those bullies are intimidating me. Can you give them a beatdown?

WTF

I don't remember Nocturne (nor SMT4) being so infantile like this. Im sure it had its moments but I suspect it's tone overall was more serious and sinister. Or are my rose-tinted glasses speaking here? Edit: I'm actually finding this shit more infantile than Persona 3, 4 and 5. How could they?

:negative:

Last edited:

dacencora

These side quests are horrible. Not only most of them are pure fetch quests, but their writing is nonsensic and infantile. This breaks completely my belief in the setting as something remotely serious, and is slowly draining my will to play the game:

- I have self-esteem problems. Can you help me by beating X?

- I want to eat omelet. Can you rob an egg from Jakayu to me?

- those bullies are intimidating me. Can you give them a beatdown?

WTF

I don't remember Nocturne being so infantile like this. Im sure it had its moments but I suspect it's tone overall was much more serious and sinister. Or am I misremembering?
I don’t think it’s infantile, personally. Demons say a lot of jokes, in Nocturne and in IV. Remember the demons in the Mantra prison? But IV and Nocturne had other “people” to also give quests and jokes, so sometimes demons would get more “sinister” lines. I haven’t come across things like the ghosts in Nocturne or the underground citizens in IV yet, but we’ll see how it continues.

Silva

Arcane
You may have a point. The other games had other people showing up more frequently and speaking serious. Here we spend so much time speaking only to demons.

On the other hand, it seems most demons are the mental age of 10? Aside from some good ones (like Apsadas x Leana Sidhe) most quests dialogues are about bullying ot self-esteem problems or some nonsense like "I want eat omelet". I also think the Mimans contribute to this infantile tone.

I criticized Persona for the teenager tone but so far this is way worse. Who could have guessed a demon apocalypse would resemble a Teletubbies theme park.

dacencora

In most of SMT, aren’t a good chunk of the lesser demons fairly childish? Isn’t that part of the point? Demons are the manifestations of human desire. So you have whiny demons, sexy demons, angry demons, sad demons, anxious demons, etc. But maybe I’m wrong, and it is more childish.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
The overworld demons pretty much portray the personality types the demons have when you negotiate them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom