Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio (Yakuza, Judgment, Binary Domain + more!) Discussion Thread

Nirvash

Liturgist
OK, done hunting main story, gotta grind the side missions now.

Still...

5SIOUpo.jpg

WTF

Saejima need to go isekai.

Deflowerer

Arcane
Guys, what?

NOTHING can be worse than the yakuza 4 dumbass final ch, NOTHING.
The finale of Yakuza 5 is possibly the worst I've ever experienced in any videogame of any type, leeching away the desire to play more games in this series. :negative:

Boss-wise it is easily the best final boss. Even if cinematic-heavy, the way the fight evolves from that room on the second floor to the front garden of the mansion is fucking amazing. Peak testosterone.

But do play Yakuza 6. Overall, I wasn't happy how bloated the main narrative of Yakuza 5 was either. But Yakuza 6 is as lean and tight as the series gets.

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
Yakuza 6 has that problem a lot of Yakuza plots do where it sets up a bunch of intrigue at the beginning to get you hooked, but the resolution to that intrigue is always retarded. Personally, I never noticed when I was playing each game for the first time because there are other elements to latch onto by the end (which are arguably just distractions). Yakuza 3 is especially bad with that. "Woah, it's Kazama?!! And he shot Daigo and one of Kiryu's friends, both at the same time?!!" It's like one of those 1960s comics where Superman is choking Batman and then you turn the page and they were just practicing for a play.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Yakuza 6 has that problem a lot of Yakuza plots do where it sets up a bunch of intrigue at the beginning to get you hooked, but the resolution to that intrigue is always retarded. Personally, I never noticed when I was playing each game for the first time because there are other elements to latch onto by the end (which are arguably just distractions). Yakuza 3 is especially bad with that. "Woah, it's Kazama?!! And he shot Daigo and one of Kiryu's friends, both at the same time?!!" It's like one of those 1960s comics where Superman is choking Batman and then you turn the page and they were just practicing for a play.

Very true, but these games' biggest problem writing-wise has always been the lack of consistency of both storytelling and the characters. Once you can look past the silliness, retcons and plot-holes, it's all an interesting tale of an endless chain of betrayals and backstabs told in a fun way.
I personally dreaded the start of Y6, because it mirrored Kiwami 2 in how it looked and played (which I really didn't like). I was also not a fan of the whole story and how everything was made to be about the baby (and Haruka's potential sexual escapades with young gangsters), but I think the game featured some okay characters (Someya, Nagumo- and Big Lo, who I really liked).

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

Very true, but these games' biggest problem writing-wise has always been the lack of consistency of both storytelling and the characters. Once you can look past the silliness, retcons and plot-holes, it's all an interesting tale of an endless chain of betrayals and backstabs told in a fun way.
I personally dreaded the start of Y6, because it mirrored Kiwami 2 in how it looked and played (which I really didn't like). I was also not a fan of the whole story and how everything was made to be about the baby (and Haruka's potential sexual escapades with young gangsters), but I think the game featured some okay characters (Someya, Nagumo- and Big Lo, who I really liked).
Haruka is the sole thing that ruined Kiryu's life. Things would have been a lot better for him if she never existed

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
I personally dreaded the start of Y6, because it mirrored Kiwami 2 in how it looked and played (which I really didn't like).
You should do yourself a favor and play the original Yakuza 2 rather than that low budget, no effort demake. I made the same mistake myself, but the original has better combat, better pacing, better music, and much better presentation all around. It's not hard to emulate, last I checked. The only problem with OG Y2 in comparison to K2 is that it's a pain in the ass to 100%, but that's only a problem if you're a completionistfag, and thankfully I put aside that mental illness myself.

The best aspect of Yakuza 6 is its high production values, with fully voiced side missions and nailing that "cinematic" feel for story missions. K2 has less production values than even the original Y2 and is overall just a stitched together piece of shit.

In terms of story, I really like Y6's ending and it feels like a good conclusion for Kiryu, but the whole premise of the plot is completely contrived. You're led to believe that Haruka was run over because she's Kiryu's daughter, but it turns out it's because of her love affair with the secret heir of a Chinese triad, and Kiryu's connection to her was complete coincidence. You mean the secluded, tiny little hamlet Haruka took refuge just so happened to be the latest hot spot of a national yakuza conspiracy? Maybe the writers call that destiny, I call it retarded. It also makes Kiryu's decision to fake his own death at the ending less justified, because Haruka's trouble had no relation whatsoever to his identity as a former Tojo chairman. In fact, throughout the entire series, the only time Kiryu's yakuza connections ever cause any trouble for the Morning Glory kids is Mine's attack in Y3. Y4 and 5, it's smooth sailing. It wouldn't have been hard to rewrite it so the events of the story were inadvertently caused by Kiryu.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
The finale of Yakuza 5 is possibly the worst I've ever experienced in any videogame of any type, leeching away the desire to play more games in this series. :negative:

Boss-wise it is easily the best final boss. Even if cinematic-heavy, the way the fight evolves from that room on the second floor to the front garden of the mansion is fucking amazing. Peak testosterone.

But do play Yakuza 6. Overall, I wasn't happy how bloated the main narrative of Yakuza 5 was either. But Yakuza 6 is as lean and tight as the series gets.
Haruka is the sole thing that ruined Kiryu's life. Things would have been a lot better for him if she never existed
My comment about the finale of Yakuza had nothing to do with the combat and everything to do with the "plot" and Haruka. :M

Nirvash

Liturgist
Kiryu problem is piece of shit kazama letting him become a yakuza.

But kiryu is not a yakuza, dude is a average action hero good boy, kiryu is a fucking cop.

LarryTyphoid

Scholar

But kiryu is not a yakuza, dude is a average action hero good boy, kiryu is a fucking cop.
Even to the core of character, Kiryu is not a delinquent. Most of his personal conflict comes from him being too upstanding and self-sacrificial to the point of disregarding his own life at the expense of those who depend on him and care about him. This is not a conflict that comes from a criminal, delinquent character. Really just another reason why the "Yakuza" name is so fucking bad compared to "Like a Dragon". The only thing "yakuza" about Kiryu is the way he looks.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I still dream of this studio making a Cowboy Bebop or Samurai Champloo game.

New IPs are also fine.

Do I think that we will see Lost Judgment on PC? I don't think so, not if that talent studio has any say. The question is if future games in the series will get a new protagonist. It's the only way I see the series on PC, tbh.

Deflowerer

Arcane

Even to the core of character, Kiryu is not a delinquent. Most of his personal conflict comes from him being too upstanding and self-sacrificial to the point of disregarding his own life at the expense of those who depend on him and care about him. This is not a conflict that comes from a criminal, delinquent character. Really just another reason why the "Yakuza" name is so fucking bad compared to "Like a Dragon". The only thing "yakuza" about Kiryu is the way he looks.

He is not that different from the cultural representation of Yakuza protagonists in 50s and 60s.

Naerydan

Educated
I still dream of this studio making a Cowboy Bebop or Samurai Champloo game.

New IPs are also fine.

Do I think that we will see Lost Judgment on PC? I don't think so, not if that talent studio has any say. The question is if future games in the series will get a new protagonist. It's the only way I see the series on PC, tbh.

Fuck, that would be amazing.

Nirvash

Liturgist
zsehOwg.jpg

Saejima swinging big ass stuff is the most broken thing ever lol

OK done with the saejima, i really liked it, liked the city, liked the questing, liked the minigames and I LOVE BABA-CHAN, plz do not die by taking a bulled from saejima and falling from the millenium tower.

Still i expect later some legit explanation about why they needed saejima and shit.

But now...

IS FUCKING IDOL TIME

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom