Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter System Shock 1 Remake by Nightdive Studios

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
We originally cut this enemy from the game but decided it was important to have an enemy that introduced verticality to the combat, specifically in the Grove levels.
What a great thing to hear.

‘oh noo flying enemy thats too hard cut it cut it’

‘oh shit wait we can use that VERTICALITY buzzword ok keep it’

randir14

Augur
I wonder what their "big news" is. Maybe they had to get a publisher to fund the completion of the game.

mkultra

Augur
I wonder what their "big news" is. Maybe they had to get a publisher to fund the completion of the game.

Most likely Bethesda if so.. maybe they bought them :P they recently worked on Quake for them...

(or... i guess it's MS if so, since MS bought Bethesda, i seem to remember...)

randir14

Augur

Most likely Bethesda if so.. maybe they bought them :P they recently worked on Quake for them...

Another possibility is Tencent, since they already own System Shock 3.
https://www.pcgamer.com/tencent-appears-to-be-the-new-owner-of-system-shock-3-and-4-websites/

mkultra

Augur

Another possibility is Tencent, since they already own System Shock 3.
https://www.pcgamer.com/tencent-appears-to-be-the-new-owner-of-system-shock-3-and-4-websites/

Or Tencent dropped it, ND managed to acquire it... much less likely i guess :/

Btan0

Literate
d280f72cbdc4b897770c92284aaa09d2_original.png

System Engineering - Early Blockout

730c2f146247939f7aec9aabca9338df_original.png

e5afb3f3c546f2e3dcaee4b93d2653c3_original.png

9931d67eda10c55f21e5e9477b2a6082_original.png

ac960bc87b314a890a4fa435a4350f75_original.png

The contrast just looks awful. Obnoxious bloom combined with pitch black shadowing is a crime against humanity.

Ash

Arcane
Eh I'm quite fond of this game's art direction. Environments look great. The HUD is looking like my favorite in any game ever.
Gameplay remains to be truly seen. Soundtrack seems like complete shit, but I do like the look.

Why the fuck they are cutting content and taking 10 or whatever goddamn years to release, I don't know. Game dev is hard and laborious but the original devs put out System Shock 1 in, what, 2 years? Modern art and graphics complicates things massively (decline!) but still. Can't Kick just throw money at the problem given his successful rerelease ventures? What's going on? Maybe it's because he hasn't been outsourcing art asset creation to China like every other cuntstain in any industry raping the economy.

Last edited:

Btan0

Literate
The modelling and architecture is fine, I'm just not a fan of the excessively shiny and vibrant colour pallet. It seems like a common thing with Unreal engine games. Maybe altering the contrast and saturation options will solve the issues I have with it, who knows.

JDR13

Arcane
Yeah, some of those neon colored lights are overly bright. Other than that, I don't think it looks bad.

One thing for sure... they better give us access to a flashlight earlier than in the original game.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Regarding the music, people who play "their own" music while playing videogames are disgusting subhumans.

I guess it must be that either music's not very important to them or it's too important.

I can understand turning the music off and having silence if the music's just really crap, or if you've been playing the game for a long time and you've gotten sick of the music, and/or playing your favourite music that's similarly-themed. But playing music that's unconnected to the vibe and atmosphere of the game - just can't understand that. Like, I can understand playing your favourite metal in an fps, but in an RPG? :)

And you sometimes hear people say, "Oh I turned the music off as soon as I started the game." WHAT???? Don't you want to see what the composer did, give them a chance? You paid for it after all.

An RPG especially is something of a gesamtkunstwerk, a new form of total art, like cinema was in its day, and music is an intrinsic part of it.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1598858095/system-shock/posts/3365652

November Update

Welcome back Hackers,

We are still in heads-down mode and entering the QA phase of development, which means that the backer beta will be in the near future!

However, we do have a few sneak peeks of the opening cinematic as well as the playable area in the Hacker's apartment we want to share.

0b2aee58a090f2d55f634e7a0186809c_original.png

e503cd4f9d860a75be2b721042e0865d_original.png

48d65a90cb09070b4c61fa8a02e684a0_original.png

Here is another fresh screenshot, can you guess where it is on Citadel?

72fbaec173bfd565c16b725cf8ba4355_original.png

Be sure to follow us on:

Nightdive Twitter

System Shock Twitter

Nightdive Facebook

Nightdive Discord

Nightdive Instagram

See you next time!

e52b8631b037b554493a24249daba6e4_original.gif

A bigger version of the last screenshot:

FEmYAB8UcAQk4sZ

Spukrian

Savant
I can understand turning the music off and having silence if the music's just really crap, or if you've been playing the game for a long time and you've gotten sick of the music, and/or playing your favourite music that's similarly-themed. But playing music that's unconnected to the vibe and atmosphere of the game - just can't understand that. Like, I can understand playing your favourite metal in an fps, but in an RPG?
Not relevant to System Shock, but in games that only have ambient noise (e.g. Geneforge, Avernum and other Spiderweb Software games) or games where the music is sparse, I turn on music that I feel is appropriate.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom