Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline is gaming officially over

Ravielsk

Magister
Yes. Once you stop huffing nostalgia fumes you realize this is true
you got old and lost the ability to enjoy things
So your taste is locked to specific decades. The rest of us aren't as limited
you're cherry-picking stuff instead of going for the drek produced in every decade
And in 50 years people will easily pick 100 great songs / movies / games from this decade. You lack perspective
L6OCGfV.png

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
you're cherry-picking stuff instead of going for the drek produced in every decade
And in 50 years people will easily pick 100 great songs / movies / games from this decade. You lack perspective
I'm not sure if it's entry-level 4d chess or just utter lack of self-awareness, but you've literally itt named faux-C64 rpgs as proof that gaming is going great and no decline happened:lol: And the rest of the games you named are titles tripping over themselves to pretend they're classic 90s rpgs.

Which is my point, as long as the modern market can cater to all interests it's doing fine

Humbaba

Arcane
Whatever the case, once China gets its greasy yellow mitts on even more of the industry, I'll pirate everything that's ever put on Steam.

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Few great albums from the 2010s :
Anna Von Hausswolff - Dead magic (2018)
Die Antwoord - Ten$ion (2012) & Donker Mag (2014)
Stupeflip - The Hypnoflip Invasion (2013) (mostly for French audience)
Vishudha Kali & Moon Far Away - Воротца (2011)
Emily Barker & The Red Clay Halo - Almanac (2011)
Dark Buddha Rising - Abyssolute Transfinite (2011)
Gorillaz - The Fall (2010)

From the 2000s :
Coil - The Ape of Naple (2005)
Aphex Twin - Drukqs (2001)
Electric Wizard - Let Us Prey (2002) & Witchcult Today (2007)
Rammstein - Rosenrot (2005)
Navicon Torture Technologies - Analog Artifacts II (2006)
Ratatat - Classics (2006)
Devin Townsend - Ziltoid The Omniscient (2007)

Could go on.
I remember talking to my parents, saying "wow how comes there are so many good tunes from your era while everything playing on radio is so bad nowadays", to which they answered radio hits were trash already in the 60s/70s, and most of what we think now of classics were niche or unsuccessful records that stood better the test of time. It is easy to play the old fart and go about the wonderful past where all the good things are already sorted and listed. Nothing to be proud in ditching your time for a fantasy of an era long gone.

Decline has started with the invention of writing and agriculture anyway. Not like the 70s were any better.

Squid

Arbiter
Everything seems like decline to someone who grew up with it being different. In some cases they are right and in some cases they are wrong. The entire gaming industry not being peak cRPG and immersive sim goodness doesn't mean gaming is over.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
chart stuff is as variable as it's always been, mostly the worst shit ever with a few catchy hits that make you laugh.

I don't think that's true anymore though. There is goofy shit in the charts in every decade but pre-internet there was extremely good stuff too. And that just isn't there anymore. 80s is remembered for fluff but it also had Bowie, Michael Jackson, Eurythmics, Tina Turner, Tears for Fears, The Pixies, Talking Heads, Van Halen, GnR, etc. There's nobody close to that in the charts anymore.

Last edited:

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I'm not sure if it's entry-level 4d chess or just utter lack of self-awareness, but you've literally itt named faux-C64 rpgs as proof that gaming is going great and no decline happened:lol: And the rest of the games you named are titles tripping over themselves to pretend they're classic 90s rpgs.

Which is my point, as long as the modern market can cater to all interests it's doing fine

Hows it catering to all interests, do you just completely ignore these threads and peoples comments and votes and stuff?

Last edited:

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

How it catering to all interests, do you just completely ignore these threads and peoples comments and votes and stuff?

Yes, I mostly ignore hysterical people

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot

How it catering to all interests, do you just completely ignore these threads and peoples comments and votes and stuff?

How do you know it's hysteria if you don't even listen? Eh?! Gotcha bitch!

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

How do you know it's hysteria if you don't even listen? Eh?! Gotcha bitch!

I can smell your hysteria miles away

Ash

Arcane
And in 50 years people will easily pick 100 great songs / movies / games from this decade

Like...what? Where? How? The 2010s have passed. So why not begin now? I'll grab the popcorn.

Games you will struggle unless you have terrible taste and standards. Movies you will struggle. Music perhaps a little easier (and more subjective), but most genres have been pushed underground, only a few forms of homogenized shit is allowed, which is heavy decline all in itself.

popular music used to consist of: typical pop (power ballads, goofy songs, boybands, love songs etc), reggae, D&B, trance, dance, rock, disco, hip hop, R&B, metal, indie, punk, etc etc. In each era a particular style or two dominated, but it wasn't like this.
Now, there's a very narrow range of music shoved down your throat whenever you leave your house, turn on the radio, get slapped in the face with an annoying advert etc. And that range consists mostly of horrible garbage. It actually irritates me to go about my day when wherever I go hear this complete garbage. It's noise pollution to me.

Everything seems like decline to someone who grew up with it being different. In some cases they are right and in some cases they are wrong. The entire gaming industry not being peak cRPG and immersive sim goodness doesn't mean gaming is over.

I like many genres. Not just RPG or its subgenres (Im Sim). All the many genres I like are dead or in a state of decline.

Last edited:

dacencora

This is the ultimate rebuttal to the petulant cry that there is nothing good anymore:

Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar is a dungeon-crawling role-playing video game developed by Australian studio Golden Era Games. The game was released for Windows on August 4, 2017

Codex Year of the Donut
And in 50 years people will easily pick 100 great songs / movies / games from this decade

Like...what? Where? How? The 2010s have passed. So why not begin now? I'll grab the popcorn.

Games you will struggle. Movies you will struggle. Music perhaps a little easier (and more subjective), but most genres have been pushed underground, only a few forms of homogenized shit is allowed, which is heavy decline all in itself.
Age of decadence, underrail, witcher 2&3, grimoire, shadowrun dragonfall, divinity original sin 1&2, kingdom come deliverance, elex, mountain blade, atom rpg, ...

Ash

Arcane
"Age of decadence"

Accurate title for the time in which we are living.

Arbiter

Scholar
Just look at how many huge releases happened just in 1999 alone: Diablo 2, Age of Empires 2, Planescape Torment, Rollecoaster Tycoon, etc.

Diablo 2 was released in the middle of 2000.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom