Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Atlus Shin Megami Tensei V - It's been hurting my OCD.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Does anyone know yet if there is NG+ content?

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Aren't most bosses post-Medusa immune to ailments in IV, or am I stupid?
Yeah most bosses in IV were imune , but in this game bosses aren't imune to all ailments and some are even weak to , mainly those mini bosses or extra bosses. Yesterday Corrupted Land (that has chance of poison) worked on
Abdiel

Also some ailments have debuff on them, so even if they miss you can get something. IIRC The director of Entrian Odyssey worked here , so it make sense that ailments are better in this game, EO has pretty powerful ailments.
I managed to charm Shiva which let me beat him fairly easily since he just kept losing turns. I started a new cycle and doing an Ailment-Luck Nahobino build, though I'm probably gonna put that on hold as I wanna play SJ Redux.

Tigranes

Arcane
Level ~50 now, enjoying some of the midrange demons like Alice, Idun, Black Frost and Yoshitsune.

I can see how Phys guys are meant to work but find it less appealing - I suppose you can do stuff like Fierce Roar / Great Life Spring then Guard tank everything, for example, or stack up Phys attack crit chance. But seems like mag demons would allow you to just get free crits and then directly land ailments.

Ailment Luck MC is definitely my second run but I can imagine some rage moments.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
My steroided Alice has the thing that does rakunda + poison and AoE seal. Latter made the last abscess fight the first 4 enemies on lvl 99 easy since they wasted virtually all their turns on while being debuffed. It's definitely the most useful against bosses if you can land it. Poison is neat when enemies have a lot of press turns they use for buffing or single target physical attacks before you get a demon with block physical.

Puukko

Arcane
Yuzu bringing that extra immersion.

Desktop-Screenshot-2021-11-23-00-30-51-80.png

:neveraskedforthis:

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Anyone else really liking the new demons? I'm really big on Idun. Cutest girl they've added to the series by far. I'm going to pump her full of incense and try to use her for the entire game.

dacencora

Anyone else really liking the new demons? I'm really big on Idun. Cutest girl they've added to the series by far. I'm going to pump her full of incense and try to use her for the entire game.
One thing I like a lot about the Essence Fusion is that you can keep using the demons you really like. I liked Black Maria a lot in IV, but had to drop her quickly because you get her in a time when you level up extremely quickly. Needing Almighty attacks made me fuse a lot of demons that I otherwise would have kept around.

dacencora

Man I am loving the mechanic where low-level demons run away from you. Not only does it feel dope, but also removes some of the tedium that exists in other SMTs when you go back to lower level areas

Puukko

Arcane
Recent Yuzu builds seem to suffer from more crashes including during boss fights which prompted me to try Ryujinx again. The performance difference is less than it was for me previously. However, the resolution scaler appears inferior, on top of which forcing AA via the driver is not possible (black screen), resulting in less fidelity overall. Then again, if the visual bugs aren't present (and man, did I encounter a whole variety of them on Yuzu) and stability is better, then that's a reasonable tradeoff.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Does anyone know yet if there is NG+ content?
1 ending + quest is locked behind ng+

Quest or quests?

quite sure just 1 new quest which is required for ng+ ending. There is like 10 quests which u need to do and when u have the option to save/kill eqyptian guy u need to spare him
It has been confirmed that what you're talking about can be done on the first cycle.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
End game spoiler
I still waiting for Aogami or anyone to mention how Aogami/himself is literaly a Man-Made Susano-o but it seems like it's completly irrelevant lmao He doesn't even react to the reveal

I just defeated Konshu. That fucker made me waste SOME essenece on him because of this BULLSHIT use of Diarama.. Anyway , the fucker is defeated and i let him escape and i discovered
Miyazu is his knoweldge but it's seeems completely irrelevant just like her character, cool

Now it's time grind to level 65 then 70 because the devs thought that would be cool idea to the drop a level 55 player inside a area with level 60+ demons.

Puukko

Arcane
Bosses are definitely at their best when you're considerably underleveled. This game would probably lend itself well to a low level challenge.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
Bosses are definitely at their best when you're considerably underleveled. This game would probably lend itself well to a low level challenge.
But not too underlevel , otherwise your damage goes to shit. A level gap around 7-5 levels.

Silva

Arcane
Balancing adjustments aside, this game improves over Nocturne so much it's ridiculous. These devs put on a class on iterative design. I didn't play enough of SMT4 to say, but 5 makes Nocturne feel like a game from 20 years ago. And I say this as someone who loves Nocturne.

dacencora

Balancing adjustments aside, this game improves over Nocturne so much it's ridiculous. These devs put on a class on iterative design. I didn't play enough of SMT4 to say, but 5 makes Nocturne feel like a game from 20 years ago. And I say this as someone who loves Nocturne.
SMT IV is very different from Nocturne, and V feels closer to a sequel to Nocturne than to IV/A (which I think was the goal). I think overall I like the concept of the Magatama more than Essence Fusion for the MC, but Essence Fusion is the greatest thing ever for your demons. One thing I really like that some SMT games have (I think SJR and maybe Persona 4?) is that some demons have an affinity to elements which makes their ability in that element much stronger. V took that concept and improved on it a lot. I missed that in IV. It seemed silly that if you fused Azuma with Agi, it was basically the same potential as it would be with Pyro Jack. It all depended on the Magic stat. But logically, a water demon should have a hard time with fire abilities, and I’m really glad they brought that back for V.

My other favorite thing in V is unique abilities. Mermaid’s unique ability is so freaking dope. I also like Daemon’s. It makes the demons feel a bit more memorable and depending on the unique ability, you may want to keep them around, and essence fuse/incense them.

Overall, they made demons more unique and builds more interesting, which I am a big fan of.

Edit: forgot about Angel’s unique ability. So cool.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
SMT IV is very different from Nocturne, and V feels closer to a sequel to Nocturne than to IV/A (which I think was the goal). I think overall I like the concept of the Magatama more than Essence Fusion for the MC, but Essence Fusion is the greatest thing ever for your demons. One thing I really like that some SMT games have (I think SJR and maybe Persona 4?) is that some demons have an affinity to elements which makes their ability in that element much stronger. V took that concept and improved on it a lot. I missed that in IV. It seemed silly that if you fused Azuma with Agi, it was basically the same potential as it would be with Pyro Jack. It all depended on the Magic stat. But logically, a water demon should have a hard time with fire abilities, and I’m really glad they brought that back for V.

My other favorite thing in V is unique abilities. Mermaid’s unique ability is so freaking dope. I also like Daemon’s. It makes the demons feel a bit more memorable and depending on the unique ability, you may want to keep them around, and essence fuse/incense them.

Overall, they made demons more unique and builds more interesting, which I am a big fan of.

Edit: forgot about Angel’s unique ability. So cool.

Angel's unique ability sounds incredible with the JAP voice acting.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
I'm really not a fan of the dub here. I watched a few clips and the stuff the demons say in combat isnt even close to what they're saying in Japanese. At least in the case of Idun. Plus how could anyone skip out on hearing Tsuda Kenjiro?

Puukko

Arcane
Odin is decidedly weaker in JP, but I dig Zeus. I knew he sounded familiar, and it's Balthus from 3H, the most boastful man alive.

dacencora

I'm really not a fan of the dub here. I watched a few clips and the stuff the demons say in combat isnt even close to what they're saying in Japanese. At least in the case of Idun. Plus how could anyone skip out on hearing Tsuda Kenjiro?
I know it probably makes me a filthy scrub, but people frequently recommend JP VA + sub for games and anime, but I have found that many times the subs are inferior to the lines in English. Spirited Away, as an example, has way more charm with the English lines than the subtitled lines. Same goes for JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. Not sure why they wouldn't just match up 1:1, it seems like a lot more work to write an English script twice. For that reason the only SMT I have played with JP VA is Strange Journey Redux.

EDIT: Just watched the Angel's special ability in JP with subtitles and it says "Our God, who art in Heaven, Please give us your Holy Light" and the English VA says "O Heavenly Father, deliver them Light"

Last edited by a moderator:

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
I normally tell people to play games in English because the subs are usually just subs of the dub rather than a more accurate translation that isn't constrained by the lip syncing. Interesting if that's not the case here. The stuff I'm complaining about isn't subbed at all and I've been playing in Japanese the whole time so I never would have noticed. I only play games in Japanese to help increase my vocabulary for the most part.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom