Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline is gaming officially over

BruceVC

Magister
New Call of Duty bombed at a time Activison was already in flames. New Battlefield bombed. Ubisoft's new Far Cry bombed and they're moving to games as a service.

Are there any official sales numbers? How do they compare to previous installments?

At least for FC6, there's this:

Ubisoft Shares Rise as Far Cry 6 Fares Better Than Expected
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/u...cry-6-fares-better-than-expected-271635498264
Their are plenty of excellent modern games and plenty of excellent older games and remakes of older style games like Grimoire so older game design is still popular
But I can appreciate both and I play both so I have no issues with either type of generational game

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Which is my point, as long as the modern market can cater to all interests it's doing fine
Catering to oldfags is very nice, and I agree as someone who low-key enjoys most of these trashy re-releases of old games we are getting every other week nowadays, but rampant necrophilia isn't really a sign of a healthy creative industry. I was also mostly pointing out how you are peddling the "nostalgia goggles" rhetoric while naming modern C64 games as a counter argument.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
chart stuff is as variable as it's always been, mostly the worst shit ever with a few catchy hits that make you laugh.

I don't think that's true anymore though. There is goofy shit in the charts in every decade but pre-internet there was extremely good stuff too. And that just isn't there anymore. 80s is remembered for fluff but it also had Bowie, Michael Jackson, Eurythmics, Tina Turner, Tears for Fears, The Pixies, Talking Heads, Van Halen, GnR, etc. There's nobody close to that in the charts anymore.

That people deny this just blows my mind. My formative years were the 90s and there was banger after banger wherever you went. So much variety in styles. So much soul. The before of autotune. Definitely some shit too, but hearing popular music now just makes me wanna puke. It largely all sounds the same and it all sounds godawful. When a song does stand out its usually for the wrong reasons (e.g Gangnam Style, WAP, what Does the Fox Say?).

Dude, those songs were popular like a decade ago...

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Which is my point, as long as the modern market can cater to all interests it's doing fine
Catering to oldfags is very nice, and I agree as someone who low-key enjoys most of these trashy re-releases of old games we are getting every other week nowadays, but rampant necrophilia isn't really a sign of a healthy creative industry. I was also mostly pointing out how you are peddling the "nostalgia goggles" rhetoric while naming modern C64 games as a counter argument.

I grew up in that era, I don't like modern 3d games, not because they are bad but because I don't like them either aesthetically or control-wise, which doesn't mean they are bad. Obviously, new games made in the old style are the ones I flock to, same as I play pretty much all-new 2d metroidvania. For me that's a sign of a healthy industry, and given how many other games come out, RPGs, old-school, Soulslike, etcetera, to me gaming looks fine. AAA is partly shit, some good stuff still, but when had that been different. I remember the late 90ies when FMV and CD produced so much shit per month that everyone talked about the decline, not much has changed these days. The only difference is that the amount of games getting published has increased massively, so you have to work a bit to find the good stuff, but it exists.

HansDampf

Arcane
The phenomenon that people are observing here is that yes, most mainstream stuff is pretty trash these days. Back in the day (for video games, particularly) "mainstream" stuff was really good. There are some mainstream studios that still make great video games these days, but most of them tend to be Japanese. But the majority of the good Western releases from the last decade are indie games (for RPGs anyways). Stuff like Grimoire, Age of Decadence, Underrail, etc. Same thing for music, definitely. There's some really great stuff to listen to but you're not gonna find it on the top 100 like you could in the 80s. The main difference between then and now is that the good stuff used to be more popular than it is now. JarlFrank has really great taste in music and he pointed me to some very good bands. Parish, Isles of Mars, Psychedelic Witchcraft.

The point is, there is still great stuff being made today, you just have to look in the right places.
Yes. There are plenty of good games from the last 10 years I've enjoyed, but the majority of them are niche games that get ignored by the mainstream. When I look back at my favorite games from late 90s/early 00s, pretty much all of them had mainstream success.
But 2021 has been pretty weak so far I must say.

Ash

Arcane
Dude, those songs were popular like a decade ago...

Yes....and? They fall under the timeframe of that which we're arguing (2005 - 2021). Dumb motherfucker. And I picked those particularly because they are the most egregious. Most of modern pop is all TRASH.

Ash

Arcane
"Not terrible" is the best praise I have for that zoomer noise pollution. Perhaps I wouldn't change the radio station in annoyance for once.

Last edited:

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
That song is annoying as fuck. It is depressing like the work of heroine addicts during their withdrawal and music therapy.

Unless I am behind the times and cool kids nowaways use antidepressants as party drugs = Ritalin Rock.

Ash

Arcane
Nothing wrong with depressing or lower mood music. Just as valid as party music you degenerate.

Also I wouldn't even call that depressing at all. It's a zoomer love song, with a few upbeat parts when they "catch a vibe". What drugs are you on?

THIS is depressing beauty:

Ash

Arcane
You're so juiced on steroids that you have to actively avoid any low mood music for fear of estrogen conversion? Or you're just some fag that dismisses anything that isn't party music because you're too cool for anything else. Which is it?

drum and bass is "depressing"? WTF?!?

Clearly you do not know drum and bass. As with any genre it isn't confined to a single mood. There has been low mood D&B since its conception in the early 90s.

Burning Bridges

What the fuck is wrong with you?

You post a random drum & bass song as an example of "truly depressing" and some cringe with two depressed teenagers that sound like they are about to die as "love song".

If you wanted something "depressing" from that field you should have at least come up with something relevant

Ash

Arcane
Immolate yourself in flames for the Codex, faggot.

I didn't post the zoomer music and Futurebound - Sorrow is a 90s electronic classic.

Burning Bridges

I didn't post the zoomer music and Futurebound - Sorrow is a 90s electronic classic.

Good for you, but it's not depressing, and besides there 10,000s of such tracks. The spirit of that music was about being drawn into the dark because it's fascinating, not to be afraid of it.

Yet you are "depressed" by drum and bass and call me "faggot", k :salute:

Ash

Arcane
Popular music is the lowest form of entertainment, regardless of the era! Never understood why people ever gave a shit.

Fake news. Popular media (not just music) used to be cool. And then it wasn't. For you specifically: Id Software games and their metal soundtracks were hugely popular once upon a time. Now marketing degenerates and boomer/gen x executives dictate what is cool, by manufacturing it, or their degenerate pathetic idea of popular and cool based on statistics and profit-maximizing research, then shoving it down everyone's throats. It's not supply and demand anymore, it's all calculated supply.

This kind of shit was popular as the norm. It's just fucking cool. This chick is cooler than most people will ever be.

lycanwarrior

Scholar
New Call of Duty bombed at a time Activison was already in flames. New Battlefield bombed. Ubisoft's new Far Cry bombed and they're moving to games as a service.

Are there any official sales numbers? How do they compare to previous installments?

At least for FC6, there's this:

Ubisoft Shares Rise as Far Cry 6 Fares Better Than Expected
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/u...cry-6-fares-better-than-expected-271635498264
Their are plenty of excellent modern games and plenty of excellent older games and remakes of older style games like Grimoire so older game design is still popular
But I can appreciate both and I play both so I have no issues with either type of generational game

Same. My primary genres are hardcore CRPGs and adventure games.

Man, I remember when these genres used to be THE primary ones on the PC. Nowadays they are considered "niche"...

Gaming market has drastically changed in just a few decades.

Last edited:

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
Popular music is the lowest form of entertainment, regardless of the era! Never understood why people ever gave a shit.

Fake news. Popular media (not just music) used to be cool. And then it wasn't. For you specifically: Id Software games and their metal soundtracks were hugely popular once upon a time. Now marketing degenerates and boomer/gen x executives dictate what is cool, by manufacturing it, or their degenerate pathetic idea of popular and cool based on statistics and profit-maximizing research, then shoving it down everyone's throats. It's not supply and demand anymore, it's all calculated supply.

This kind of shit was popular as the norm. It's just fucking cool. This chick is cooler than most people will ever be.

As if I, the one with an actual SC-55, didn't know that Doom has cool MIDI music. I've only ever liked soundtracks for things I already like, otherwise I don't care. Metal, electronic stuff, whatever, it can sound cool, but I'd rather hear in a game. Popular music is a just a bunch of whining about how life sucks and relationships are shit. And films and television are similarly shit. Always has been. Decline doesn't mean it was necessarily great to begin with.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom