Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline is gaming officially over

Ash

Arcane
"Just look at how many huge releases happened just in 1999 alone: Diablo 2, Age of Empires 2, Planescape Torment, Rollecoaster Tycoon, etc."

Is that all you got? You're doing a huge disservice to the 90s/1999 with only 4 examples, all on one platform too.

Codex Year of the Donut
"Just look at how many huge releases happened just in 1999 alone: Diablo 2, Age of Empires 2, Planescape Torment, Rollecoaster Tycoon, etc."

Is that all you got? You're doing a huge disservice to the 90s/1999 with only 4 examples, all on one platform too.
yea, he completely forgot the goty: Everquest

Yep. The old people have been saying since the dawn of spoken language "Everything was better back in my day" but this time, this one time, here in 2021, the old fogeys got it right.

You're just old and bitter and slightly autistic. Everything always sucked and if you didn't notice before it's because you weren't paying attention.

Or, you're a young naive stupid fucking kid who enjoyed a few things from before his time and is a standard stupid naive kid who thinks he knows better, just like every other young stupid naive kid.

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex

yea, he completely forgot the goty: Lunar Silver Star Story Complete

Fixed that for ya

Ash

Arcane
Yep. The old people have been saying since the dawn of spoken language "Everything was better back in my day" but this time, this one time, here in 2021, the old fogeys got it right.
R.45b626c7b6acbf0a5f5e4f19a730b2dd

I noticed the decline when I was a late teenager. I witnessed the great decline during my prime. Born 1990. I was a late teen in the late 2000s. Horrible decline. Degeneracy, dumbing down, selling out, homogenization, mass quality reduction. Everything I loved, which is a very broad spectrum, all turned to drivel. Sadly it has made me a bitter person, or contributed to it anyway. Humanity in general does that to those not walking around with their eyes closed. Shut up dumb ignorant kid. Just because some older people were nostalgic for their prime or may have possibly had a point in a couple of contexts (e.g cultural values) it doesn't write off the existence of The Great Decline of Electronic Entertainment, which is a new and different phenomena.

I consumed all the things, used to collect games, movies and CDs since I was like 5. So much good shit, every weekend was shopping for my next fixes. Then in a very short timeframe (e.g PS3/Xbox360 era) everything was suddenly shit almost overnight. What I would do was never buy new so that I could afford all this (multiple consoles, PC, many games, handhelds etc). I was always at least half a generation of gaming behind. When I entered the PS3/360 era I was 18 (2008). Many games had been released. I started diving in. Oh boy. What a shock that was.

Last edited:

I noticed the decline when I was a late teenager. I witnessed the great decline during my prime. Born 1990. I was a late teen in the late 2000s. Horrible decline. Shut up dumb ignorant kid. Just because some older people were nostalgic for their prime or may have possibly had a point in a couple of contexts (e.g cultural values) it doesn't write off the existence of The Great Decline of Electronic Entertainment, which is a new and much more grand in scale phenomena.
Imagine that. Everything was better when you were younger, then as you got older everything got worse.

Wow. So unique. What an original story of getting older and more cynical. And let me guess, some other people, born around the same time, with the same general interests, also agree with your totally unique theory right?

I'm a little older than you. But, more importantly, I don't have crippling autism that leads me to believe that subjective experiences can be put together into a spreadsheet and graded on a 1-10 scale to decide what was objectively the best time for gaming/music/entertainment/church revival festivals. I have my favorites, and they're probably about the same as yours, minus 7 years or so, but I recognize that they're MY favorites, not the OBJECTIVE BEST.

Get a bit more experience under your belt and you'll realize the same thing you should have already realized countless times already. You don't know shit, but you think you do, and in ten years you'll look back and think about what an idiot you were. This will be a continuous process. Learn to accept this and you'll have a better time. Take yourself way less seriously.

Ash

Arcane

I noticed the decline when I was a late teenager. I witnessed the great decline during my prime. Born 1990. I was a late teen in the late 2000s. Horrible decline. Shut up dumb ignorant kid. Just because some older people were nostalgic for their prime or may have possibly had a point in a couple of contexts (e.g cultural values) it doesn't write off the existence of The Great Decline of Electronic Entertainment, which is a new and much more grand in scale phenomena.
Imagine that. Everything was better when you were younger, then as you got older everything got worse.

Wow. So unique. What an original story of getting older and more cynical. And let me guess, some other people, born around the same time, with the same general interests, also agree with your totally unique theory right?

I'm a little older than you. But, more importantly, I don't have crippling autism that leads me to believe that subjective experiences can be put together into a spreadsheet and graded on a 1-10 scale to decide what was objectively the best time for gaming/music/entertainment/church revival festivals. I have my favorites, and they're probably about the same as yours, minus 7 years or so, but I recognize that they're MY favorites, not the OBJECTIVE BEST.

Get a bit more experience under your belt and you'll realize the same thing you should have already realized countless times already. You don't know shit, but you think you do, and in ten years you'll look back and think about what an idiot you were. This will be a continuous process. Learn to accept this and you'll have a better time. Take yourself way less seriously.

Uh huh.

Every post you make is dumb shit by the way, something I've noticed about you. I actually thought you were a kid. But then the name confused me (Fifth Element Reference).

And yes, the decline is measurable. End of story. I don't need more experience, that's you.

Do you seriously think quality in entertainment cannot rise and fall? You think it is solidly static at all times...since the very first video game each era has all been of equal quality? Dumb motherfucker. No, the 90s was absolute peak video games, before and after not so much (well, late 80s was p. great). Before because the tech wasn't quite there yet. After because greed and retardation.

Last edited:

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
Popular music is the lowest form of entertainment, regardless of the era! Never understood why people ever gave a shit.

Because music is the language of God
Only if you go full Lyric Suite, which is the exact opposite of pop trash. Insert something about Beethoven and Britney Spears here

All music is music, and music is the language of God. It doesn't mean you are hearing God's voice when listening to music. If anything, music is the way you can communicate with God, and not the other way around.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
Popular music is the lowest form of entertainment, regardless of the era! Never understood why people ever gave a shit.

Because music is the language of God
Only if you go full Lyric Suite, which is the exact opposite of pop trash. Insert something about Beethoven and Britney Spears here

All music is music, and music is the language of God. It doesn't mean you are hearing God's voice when listening to music. If anything, music is the way you can communicate with God, and not the other way around.
Everything is the language of God, really. What does that have to do with mainstream music being terrible?

Ravielsk

Magister

This talking point is literary older than me and the last time it was legit usable was around 2010. People noticing and pointing out the decline are not 80+ year old fossils but young people, often from the demographics that are being directly targeted by the products they are criticizing. At some point you have to consider there has to be more to it than just "lol, you old". Denying the decline is literary the worst tactic to dealing with it as that only facilitates further decline. At least admitting its happening can lead to some solution, just going "lol not happening" only makes it worse.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
Of course, I know that's not what you mean, but it's only appropriate that I do to you what you're doing to me. If I say popular music sucks and some random guy comes up to me and says I'm wrong because music is actually the most beautiful medium God ever created, how exactly am I supposed to respond to that? If I said modern art sucks, and you said that actually there were many wonderful paintings of Christ created centuries ago, what's that supposed to mean? It's irrelevant and no one said anything contrary. I just don't want to listen to a bunch of wankers whine about mundane bullshit over banal melodies, that's all.

Plus, you know, music is not the only medium suited to high art (in the proper sense of the term). It's like you're deliberately trying to recreate that discussion from the other day.

Uh huh.

Every post you make is dumb shit by the way, something I've noticed about you. I actually thought you were a kid. But then the name confused me (Fifth Element Reference).

And yes, the decline is measurable. End of story. I don't need more experience, that's you.

Do you seriously think quality in entertainment cannot rise and fall? You think it is solidly static at all times...since the very first video game each era has all been of equal quality? Dumb motherfucker. No, the 90s was absolute peak video games, before and after not so much (well, late 80s was p. great). Before because the tech wasn't quite there yet. After because greed and retardation.
That's funny, I've noticed your posts are all the same theme, retarded claims backed with no evidence, but lots of "Trust me bro" and "You'd have to be a moron not to see things my way".

I don't think the average quality of produced entertainment materials is the same every year, but I also realize there's no such measurement as average quality of entertainment materials. It literally doesn't exist because it's subjective.

Is shit worse? Of fucking course it is, people are retards concerned with being woke, pushing idiotic political messaging they don't even understand. Is shit better? Of fucking course it is, people used to be retards concerned with being righteous, pushing idiotic political messaging they didn't even understand. But what you're not getting is this "Everything is in decline" bullshit is just more retarded political messaging you don't even understand. You're a hipster. A trend chaser. You're saying "Hey fellow sports team enthusiasts, isn't local sports team the best?" Well no, your local sports team sucks and every retard in the bar with you agreeing with your shit take doesn't make your shitty team any better.

In other words, your commentary is part of the very decline you're complaining about. You're another cog in the decline machine because you're just helping push along dumb meaningless garbage. "Average quality of entertainment" is an idiotic thing to care about, and impossible to measure. If you're playing games you hate and watching movies you don't like, maybe you're just choosing bad entertainment products.

Here's some objective reality. Computers are faster and have more storage than the devs from the 90s could dream of. Displays, meaning TVs and computer monitors, are higher resolution than ever before. I'm not a big music guy, but I assume similar technological development has happened in music.

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
Of course, I know that's not what you mean, but it's only appropriate that I do to you what you're doing to me. If I say popular music sucks and some random guy comes up to me and says I'm wrong because music is actually the most beautiful medium God ever created, how exactly am I supposed to respond to that? If I said modern art sucks, and you said that actually there were many wonderful paintings of Christ created centuries ago, what's that supposed to mean? It's irrelevant and no one said anything contrary. I just don't want to listen to a bunch of wankers whine about mundane bullshit over banal melodies, that's all.

Plus, you know, music is not the only medium suited to high art (in the proper sense of the term). It's like you're deliberately trying to recreate that discussion from the other day.

You asked why people cared about shitty music. I said it is because music is the language of God.

My point is that any music connects people to the spiritual on some level, no matter how ignorant the people and how bad the music.

Music teaches us that harmony is happiness and dissonance is sadness.

It might just be the most palpable proof that there is more to all this than rocks and mud.

J1M

Arcane
Maybe a benevolent mod could relocate all of this gabbing about music to its own thread.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom