Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best Switch games?

Arbiter

Scholar
As Black Friday is approaching I am considering looking for Switch Lite deals. What Switch games do you consider the best? Can Switch realistically be used as an ebook reader?

dacencora

• Metroid Dread
  • Shin Megami Tensei V
  • Fire Emblem Three Houses
  • Bowser's Fury
  • Link's Awakening Remake
  • Mario Odyssey

Ventidius

Arbiter
Exclusives:
-Fire Emblem: Three Houses
-Metroid Dread
-The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
-The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
-Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity
-Monster Hunter Rise (will come to PC soon)
-Monster Hunter Generations

Non-exclusives:
-The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III and IV
-Bravely Default 2
-Resident Evil series (RE4 and REmake being highlights, Revelations 2 for Raid Mode)
-Dark Souls
-Dragon's Dogma
-Devil May Cry series
-Valkyria Chronicles series
-SaGa: Scarlet Grace
-Ys Origin
-Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night

Last edited:

dacencora

Is it possible to play old 2D Mario games on Switch Lite?
Yes but you must pay for Nintendo Switch Online which is about $5 (USD) a month. You could also buy Super Mario Maker 2, but I can't remember if the online requires NSO.

Arbiter

Scholar
Are there any DOS emulators for Switch that I could use to run old games? If so, can they be installed without violating the warranty (i.e. no rooting of the device)?

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
don't get a switch light. some games are shit in portable mode and you can't disconnect the joycons if you ever want to use motion or pointer controls which means some games don't even work on it

here's some games:

mario maker 2
mario 3d world and bowser's fury
pikmin 3 deluxe
astral chain
new pokemon SNAP
botw
hyrule warriors definitive edition
metroid dread
mario odyssey
warioware get it together
xenoblade chronicles definitive edition
xenoblade chronicles 2

Are there any DOS emulators for Switch that I could use to run old games? If so, can they be installed without violating the warranty (i.e. no rooting of the device)?

I don’t know if there are any, but I guarantee if there are they will void the warranty. Nintendo is very against that sort of thing.

dacencora

There are some DOS ports, but absolutely no way to get third-party stuff outside of the eshop without rooting it.

Commander Keen has a port, there may be others. (The DOOM port is the Unity version, not the OG DOS version)

Ivan

Arcane
if you missed out on Wii U:

Mario 3d World/Bowser's Fury
Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze

Switch:
Metroid Dread

Tigranes

Arcane
SMT5, Three Houses, Zelda BOTW, Mario Odyssey are no brainers. Sturdy and long-lasting.

Personally I'd load up on a couple of other portable friendly games (Into the Breach & Slay the Spire, I'd say).

Ulfhednar

Savant
Roguelites:
**Hades - I have probably played this for over 1,000 hours...
Children of Morta
Wizard of Legend
Crown Trick
Slay the Spire

Nintendo:
Zelda BotW
Zelda Link's Awakening
Mario Odyssey
Mario + Rabbids
Mario Maker 2
Mario Golf Super Rush (light on content, so get it on sale... fun golf sim though)
Fire Emblem Three Houses

Metroidvania:
Metroid Dread
Axiom Verge 1&2
Hollow Knight

Dragon Quest XI, Octopath Traveler and Ni no Kuni if you like DQ-style jRPGs...
Eastward for more Link to the Past style gameplay...
Messenger if you're missing Ninja Gaiden...
Fell Seal and (upcoming) Triangle Strategy are decent if you have the Final Fantasy Tactics itch.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Stardew Valley
Animal Crossing: New Horizon (If you're into it)

visions

Arcane
Yes but you must pay for Nintendo Switch Online which is about $5 (USD) a month.

It's 19,99 dollars for a yearly subscription so a bit under 1,70 per month (for online and bunch of NES/SNES games). Many people hate it but I dunno, under 2 dollars per month seems okay to me, as far as subscription services go.

The Decline

Arcane
Buy a used version one Switch, install CFW, pirate games instead of paying for them like a sucker. It's super easy too, you connect to these free pirate shops and download games like you do from the eShop.

Ash

Arcane
Fuck Links Awakening remastered. Completely destroys all the charm and turns it into generic shit. You play Links Awakening DX or nothing.
rating_rage.gif

Game had so much charm only for it to be given the typical modern nintendo art uglification, constant annoying main character grunts and squeals that has been forced upon every nintendo mascot since Mario 64, and of course, modern industry homogenized bastardized standard: orchestral soundtrack.

As for recommendations: I notice a distinct lack of Darkwood in here, though it is a multiplatform game

Last edited:

kalganoat

Savant
Monster Hunter Generation Ultimate
Metroid Dread

Get exclusives only. Avoid multiplatform non-indie titles.

Yeah the Link’s Awakening remake is a total cash-grab. Don’t buy it. The original looks and plays better, and it’s very easy to emulate. Also the remake has some pretty absurd performance issues in certain areas.

mogwaimon

Magister
If you're buying a Switch Lite you won't be able to use it as an e-reader or a DOS emulator, even if there are homebrew apps for it. Last I checked you need an older model of the console to hack it and the Switch Lite was manufactured after the console revision that fixed the exploit...not to mention the exploit also requires shorting some pins in the Joycon slot with tin foil or something similar, and the Lite as I recall is the purely portable version of the console. Get the full model of the console as mentioned earlier in the thread, there's no real reason not to other than cost; and also if you want an e-reader get a Kobo or something.

that said most of the game recs above are spot on, but the Switch is also pretty good for shmups and arcade stuff if you're into that. It's got pretty decent ports of Espgaluda 2 and Mushihimesama if you like CAVE games, Crimzon Clover World Explosion is currently an exclusive to the system (but will likely end up on PC too) and there's a bunch of others as well. The system is also currently home to an updated port of an old beat'em up called The Ninja Warriors Once Again (The Ninja Saviors: Return of the Warriors here in Murrica) that's supposed to be pretty good, I bought it but haven't gotten around to playing it yet; still it adds extra playable characters compared to the original version so it could be worth a shot. Rune Factory 4 Special is also there and soon Rune Factory 5 should be coming to the system if you're into Harvest Moon-like games as well. Finally, if you like strategy RPGs, Disgaea 6 is currently exclusive to the system and if you're willing to import (or get a hacked Switch) there's also a trilogy of Super Robot Wars games (X, V, and T) that you can get with a passable translation included.

there's plenty of other games out there, the Switch library is pretty decent with a good mix of AAA, retro, indie, and third party support so it's worth doing a bit of searching on your own as well.

I've recently been playing Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity and it's pretty good. I liked the original Hyrule Warriors and finished it a few years ago, but there's a lot more stuff in Age of Calamity. I don't particularly like the BotW aesthetic but it's done very well in this game. I like the combat too.

The resolution is terrible and it runs like shit, though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom