Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pentiment - Josh Sawyer's historical mystery narrative-driven game set in 16th century Bavaria

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I'd pay for a sport RPG. But only if it was turn-based. I don't give a shit if it's not like "real sport".

Why pay when you could just play chess and trash talk in the chat.

DeepOcean

Arcane
It would be fun making a no combat RPG on the 17th century Europe where you are a peasant on the Holy Roman Empire, it would be a wonderful experience.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I just wonder what kind of gameplay will they use to fill in for combat (mechanics, systems, related activities, etc).

I mean, surely… *surely* they won’t just copypaste Disco and make everything dialog.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
I'd pay for a sport RPG. But only if it was turn-based. I don't give a shit if it's not like "real sport".

Same, and I don't even care if it wasn't turn-based. A sports cRPG with RTwP is fine too.
Ffxboxart.jpg

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
It would be fun making a no combat RPG on the 17th century Europe where you are a peasant on the Holy Roman Empire, it would be a wonderful experience.

A RPG where 80% of choices lead to a Swedish drink.
That's a good book btw, Adventures of a Simpleton.

On wikipedia: "The adventures of Simplicissimus became so popular that they were reproduced by authors in other European countries. Simplicissimus was recreated in French, English, and Turkish."

Now that's interesting, time to find that Ottoman manuscript of the book.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected

A RPG where 80% of choices lead to a Swedish drink.
That's a good book btw, Adventures of a Simpleton.

On wikipedia: "The adventures of Simplicissimus became so popular that they were reproduced by authors in other European countries. Simplicissimus was recreated in French, English, and Turkish."

Now that's interesting, time to find that Ottoman manuscript of the book.
Unfortunately, libgen.li only have English and German copies.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
They actually made a critically-acclaimed peasant simulator in Korea. Didn't get a lot of good player reviews though for some reason.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Looking forward to the day Sawyer releases a patch that rebalances all of your suspects' motivations, motives and agendas. :balanced:

Can we get the "balanced" button as emoji please?

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
My problem with saying Disco Elysium isn't an RPG is that it seems that Planescape: Torment's Sigil minus trash mobs would play in a very similar way. I think there are other aspects of Disco Elysium's design besides character progression and skill checks that make it RPG-like. The way characters and quests are laid out isn't the same as in a typical adventure game, where characters basically only exist in the world to participate in one-off puzzles and story events. The game's characters work like typical roleplaying game town NPCs, persistent in the world with extensive dialogue trees that you can revisit at any time.
do you guys even play non-rpgs made in the past 20 years?

dialogue trees have become the standard for all video games
C&C-style branching is considered a major feature of fucking coach simulator sports games

the leeway given to these games because you happen to like them can be applied to nearly every game on the market as every genre has been RPGized. Every single one.
You just happen to like adventure games, therefore, IT MUST BE AN RPG!

This isn't really related to what I said though. For example, both games have dialogue choices and C&C, but to me Disco Elysium feels more like an RPG than The Council, for the reasons I mentioned.
it takes the isometric and some equipment juggling to hypnotize the codexian crowd, adding dice rolls on top of that was an overkill (especially since the game plays out the same anyway lmao)
Torment didn't have dicerolls instead opting for flat skill checks for gating content, which was often suboptimal for non-mages anyway simply bc of exp boosts

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Your average sports game now features character growth, talents, skills, stats, and dialogue.

I've been telling you nerds that Football Manager is the most in depth and immersive RPG for decades. Tens of stats, all dynamically growing, for tens of players on your team, for tens of teams in your league, for tens of leagues in your country, for tens of countries all being simulated.

Duraframe300

Arcane

Same, and I don't even care if it wasn't turn-based. A sports cRPG with RTwP is fine too.

Sports-RPG's (Hybrids in general without restrictions)

Inazuma Eleven
Pyre
GBC/GBA Mario Golf/Tennis
Golf Story
Blood Bowl
Captain Tsubasa (Shitload of them, some more, some less)
Chaos League
M.U.D.S
Blitzball in FFX
Xtreme Sports (GBC)
Pangya
Racing Lagoon

Just off the top of my head. Probably forgetting quite a few here. Also of course, depends on your rpg definition. As I said without restrictions.

Edit: (Technically you could put Battle Golfer Yui here, but that game is so light on mechanics that it's even stretching the flimsy definitions here)

Last edited:

Vladimuar

Savant
can you fascist faggots explain what is so communist in that estonian pretentious piece of graphomania?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom