Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Halloween sales feels like only yesterday.

Yeah, I always find the Steam sales schedule to be really strange. They basically have nothing for half the year, then the Summer sale, a few months, then the Fall / Halloween sale, Winter sale, Christmas sale, all back to back.

Terra

Cipher
Everything after the Fall sales are basically non-events ever since Valve started asking sale participants to submit singular discounts which would remain the same between every sale after the Fall sale that year. Bye bye Daily & flash deals with deep discounts, all replaced with much safer, long running, flat lower discounts. It's become so bad ever since your best bet is always key seller websites (whether legit or grey market) - both routinely will undercut Steam's best deals, and their sales typically occur just before Valve's big sales.

I read a post from Valve saying this resulted in higher spending from people during sales, but who knows where & how they arrive at that conclusion, I barely buy anything direct from them anymore at least.

deuxhero

Arcane
I read a post from Valve saying this resulted in higher spending from people during sales, but who knows where & how they arrive at that conclusion, I barely buy anything direct from them anymore at least.

If I were to guess, I would say it means people just grab whatever is on their wishlist with a good discount as soon as they find out the sale starts (which for many people might not be the first day of the sale) instead of waiting till the last day to make sure there's no flash sale. That turns an impulsive purchase into a measured one ("Do I really need to buy this at 50%? I still haven't played that other game..."), which works poorly for entertainment.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Steam sale is on,Red Dead Redemption 2 is 50% off for the first time

Should I get this,Horizon Zero Dawn who is also 50% off for the first time(also on GOG) or save the money for something better?

:philosoraptor:

BTW Life and Suffering of Sire Brante is 35% off for thr first time both on Steam and GOG

https://af.gog.com/game/the_life_and_suffering_of_sir_brante?as=1649904300
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1272160/The_Life_and_Suffering_of_Sir_Brante/

Blasphemous is 75% off for the first time

and Wonderful 101 is 55% off for the first time

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Voting for 2021 GotY be liek:
240CBACB1B2452267802C303E3435128C8E71D80

Last edited:

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Kingmaker, WOTR, or Solasta? I can only pick one. Someone pick for me.

Kingmaker or WOTR. I'd probably go with Kingmaker right now because although I think WOTR is the better game, it's still working out bugs whereas Kingmaker is done being patched.

Solasta is also interesting, but shorter and easier. It's a nice adaptation of 5E and does some interesting things with party personalities and backgrounds though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom