Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Looking for RPG Recommendations.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Looking for a game that's kind of like Betrayal at Krondor. RPG, with lots of character development and a good amount of story interaction, can be party based.

Not looking for dungeon crawlers.

I know that Call of Saregnar is a thing, but I can't buy it, but again, something like that.

Don't recommend Spiderweb games or "The Quest" since I already have all of those.

Peachcurl

Cipher
I think to receive good recommendations, you'd have to be a bit more specific on what kind of features you are looking for. The games that you mention (spiderweb, the quest, Krondor) seem to cover quite a bit of ground. At least that's my impression. And I'm not even sure if I'd be willing to rate spiderweb as "good amount of story interaction"?

You could try Bard's tale IV. But don't play it if you expect it to be a typical "Bard's Tale" game. Also don't play it if you have a problem with puzzles.

Erebus

Arcane
Looking for a game that's kind of like Betrayal at Krondor.

Betrayal in Antara was designed as a spiritual sequel to BaK.

I rather enjoyed it, though it has some flaws. The setting is fairly decent, but the characters are not as good as in BaK. The main story's okay, though not especially great (too many villains manipulating other villains). There's a lot of optional stuff and minor encounters, most of it pretty good. The cutscene art is quite nice.

As in BaK, you control 3 PCs at most. Unfortunately, there are several chapters of the story during which you control only 2, which rather limits the tactics you can use.

From a mechanical point of view, it's very similar to BaK. The system for learning spells is different : you learn magic spheres (either from a teacher or by seeing them use) and you then combine them to create spells.

You can find some LPs on Youtube if you want to see what it's like.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
To be honest, I thought "Like Betrayal at Krondor" was a good enough description towards what I was looking for since it's pretty uniquely shaped game that's not at all like the stuff that a lot of your are recommending. But I guess that's my fault, I just didn't want to list 100 other games that I already know about to not be recommended.

Codex Year of the Donut
To be honest, I thought "Like Betrayal at Krondor" was a good enough description towards what I was looking for since it's pretty uniquely shaped game that's not at all like the stuff that a lot of your are recommending. But I guess that's my fault, I just didn't want to list 100 other games that I already know about to not be recommended.
There's not very many games like BaK.

Zlaja

Arcane
world-xeen.jpg

Rhuantavan

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Codex 2012
May be a far step away from BaK, but I find Gothic 1&2 to be somewhat similar in spirit, cool character development, meaningful exploration, great character interaction, and it has a decent story.

Also: BiA is trash.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom