Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

Lagi

Savant
not sure if they are worth it or not, cause i dont play any of it. grab my attention

im most hype for this one for some time. graphic + Darkest Dungeon

drama in submarine. Me want

i guess gameplay is not even close to this mod. bu thouse longer loading times and bigger size on my disc though...

i want so badly total war with big big monsters (and ratmens)

i enjoy Blasphemous

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Here are my nominations, highly considered as they are.

If you could've nominated one game more than once, my actual soundtrack nomination would've been Wrath of the Righteous.

P5igMv3.jpg

1zbUHvC.jpg

fi4jsWG.jpg

mastroego

Arcane

Denim Destroyer

Learned
If you could've nominated one game more than once, my actual soundtrack nomination would've been Wrath of the Righteous.

I would have done the same thing but I was in a similar situation due to only playing three games that were eligible. I can understand not wanting to people to nominate one game for every category but there should be some allowance for users who only played a handful of titles that would be eligible.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

I would have done the same thing but I was in a similar situation due to only playing three games that were eligible. I can understand not wanting to people to nominate one game for every category but there should be some allowance for users who only played a handful of titles that would be eligible.

Or where only a few games were actually any good. ;)

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
I'm wary of such keys though.
I heard Steam might even one day ban your account if they decide to act on it...

Brah. I've been buying on Kinguin for years both for me and for family&friends as gift. Cheap and perfectly legal. I know there was some major scare about stolen cards a few years ago but, as far as I could look into that, not a single tangible proof was ever presented.

What WAS presented instead were numerous contracts in which dev studios or distributors sold key to resellers en-masse, probably never realizing how cheap they would ultimately be or counting on a certain number of extremely cheap key being sold as a marketing strategy.

Tl:dr buy them, you're safe. Half of the time you need to accept the key as a gift (sent by the reseller site) so I'd really like to understand how Steam could ever argue locking you out of your account for accepting a gift, under yuro laws...

Last edited:
What do you guys think of:

Control -70%
Phantom Doctrine -90%
Strange Brigade -90%
You can get a Control GOG key for close to 10 cents on a key reselling site.

10 cents?damn.
I paid 50 49 eurocents for mine,motherfuckers ripped me off
I'm wary of such keys though.
I heard Steam might even one day ban your account if they decide to act on it...

the only similar thing i've seen, it's been on ubishit client: someone of you gave me a splinter cell blacklist key and some time later they decided to remove the game from my inventory. fuck them, literally worse than hitler.

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
the only similar thing i've seen, it's been on ubishit client: someone of you gave me a splinter cell blacklist key and some time later they decided to remove the game from my inventory. fuck them, literally worse than hitler.
This happened to me once with Steam - I bought a game from a reseller only to have it removed from my inventory a few days later because it turned out that the key on the store had been bought with a stolen credit card.

It was 7 eurobucks so no big deal, and when I asked the key store for a refund they actually did so, though by giving me in-store credit.

Also worth mentioning, in the nearly 5 years I've been buying from key resellers this was the first and only time this happened.

Valve cannot legally ban you from accessing your account, or take it away from you, because by doing so they'd be opening an unpleasant can of worms.

Even if a game is delisted from Steam and you're not able to purchase it anymore, if you have it in your library you can still download and play the game without issue.

Curratum

I've been buying keys almost exclusively from key reseller sites for over 5 years now. Around a hundred games, give or take. Never had a single issue with any of the keys or with activating them on Steam / having them removed.

All you have to do is not use the shittiest resellers (wink wink g2a) and buy from sellers with over 1000 transactions and good ratings.

Terra

Cipher
Valve cannot legally ban you from accessing your account, or take it away from you, because by doing so they'd be opening an unpleasant can of worms.

Even if a game is delisted from Steam and you're not able to purchase it anymore, if you have it in your library you can still download and play the game without issue.
You'd think not, but digital storefronts have been a law unto themselves for years now.

Around 10 years ago, I wanted a Steam copy of Vampire: Bloodlines, it was on sale at the time 75% off, around £3-£4 iirc. I paid by Paypal at the time, little did I know that my card details on Paypal were out of date. Paypal, instead of emailing me to let me know, initiated a chargeback and my Steam account of (at the time couple of hundred games) was "temporarily suspended". So, for a number of days until I'd liaised with Valve support, I couldn't login or play any of my games. I think in recent years, Valve's been smacked down for this shit, likely primarily by various European laws, so if similar situation were to occur now, they'd just remove the problematic game from you account. But the fact that they could do this in the first place over essentially pocket change was very concerning.

I've had EA Origin key activations silently revoked from my account, they're probably the worst as their system won't even alert you. At least with Steam you get a big notification that you have to manually dismiss. Best advice with keys though is if the deal seems too good to be true, it probably is, compare the going rate for a given game/key before committing. But for the overwhelming majority of key-based dealings, I've had no problems, stick with known resellers, avoid fly-by-night one-man listings.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
I've been buying keys almost exclusively from key reseller sites for over 5 years now. Around a hundred games, give or take. Never had a single issue with any of the keys or with activating them on Steam / having them removed.

What reseller do you use?

Curratum

What reseller do you use?

I just hit allkeyshop com and search there, it's a key reseller price aggregator.

Used to shop on Kinguin a lot, but lately much better prices have been cropping up on Eneba and Gamivo, so mostly those two over the past 2-3 years.

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Best advice with keys though is if the deal seems too good to be true, it probably is, compare the going rate for a given game/key before committing. But for the overwhelming majority of key-based dealings, I've had no problems, stick with known resellers, avoid fly-by-night one-man listings.
That's true, but nowadays you're usually pretty safe. Best way to figure out if a deal is "too good to be true" is to look into why they're selling the game cheap. That usually happens because the game was bundled somewhere recently (usually Humble Bundle) or there's been a big sale (so people that got gifted the game and don't want it are trying to make some money off of it). Also, most key resellers track how many successful sales any given sellers has, so if you have to choose between some duded with a 99,9% trust rating and thousands of transactions and some no-name guy with a few transactions under his belt, the choice is obvious.

The situation with Control (and Ghostrunner before that) is nearly unprecedented. They're being sold for literal pennies, which is strange. Then again, the game has been sitting in my GOG account for a few weeks now so I assume it will stay there for the foreseeable future.

I just hit allkeyshop com and search there, it's a key reseller price aggregator.
Another alternative is gg.deals, since they track both official and grey market stores.

And another piece of advice, try to avoid purchasing gifts whenever possible - they usually work, but I've had a few duds because of regional restrictions. The reseller was a good sport though and always refunded me whenever that happened.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom