Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Project Van Buren, A Recreation of the Original Fallout 3

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
http://projectvanburen.com/

"Project Van Buren was born in 2017 as an attempt to recreate the original Fallout 3, a 3D isometric computer role-playing game codenamed Van Buren, that was developed by now-defunct Black Isle Studios before the project’s cancellation in late 2003. Blending together the original design of the legendary role-playing masterminds and modern technologies of today, Project Van Buren aims to reimplement the once-to-be-classic sequel to Fallout 2 with utmost focus on preserving its original spirit in modern technical finish."

There's a pcgamer article about it too https://www.pcgamer.com/canceled-fa...tm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=socialflow

A remake of Van Buren on the unity engine that's using the original 700 page design docs. Apparently all the "technical features," are done, and now the rest of the game is being built. Hopefully it will come out some day, looks promising to me since it seems to have come a long way in 3 years and the dev has been working with some of the og designers.

https://twitter.com/ChrisAvellone/status/1463604012754751489

Ninjerk

Arcane
Some lawyer out there somewhere is getting a half-chub over the C&D he's going to send this group

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Bethesda never really get fussy with fan games imo as long they arent company making money and i do hope they stay away from branding it "fallout 3"

Just name in van burren even without the fallout name, i think it woild be safe. I mean we got tons of fallout fan games, including those developed in F4 engine like miami or frontier (even if its shit) or whatever.

Self-Ejected

supervoid

Self-Ejected
meh, it's like 6th attempt to revive this corpse. All the good ideas they had were salvaged and improved in New Vegas (too bad it was done in a garbage engine).

cb.spike

Educated
From the guy that in first version used assets from GTA V and other bi games and then had psychic meltdown. Yeah, this one is definetly getting finished. But I would be interested in what he has learned from original developers about Van Buren that we already don´t know. At least he is saying that he was in contact with them.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Bethesda never really get fussy with fan games imo as long they arent company making money and i do hope they stay away from branding it "fallout 3"

Just name in van burren even without the fallout name, i think it woild be safe. I mean we got tons of fallout fan games, including those developed in F4 engine like miami or frontier (even if its shit) or whatever.

It's no longer just Bethesda, it's Microsoft.

None

Scholar
The developer has been at it since 2017 and only just got combat into a working state. He is persistent but it'll be at least 10 years before this could be marketed as "finished".

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The developer has been at it since 2017 and only just got combat into a working state. He is persistent but it'll be at least 10 years before this could be marketed as "finished".
Only 307 MICRO-ISSUES REMAIN!

Gargaune

Magister
Per the website, this appears to be a standalone Unity-based development, why is Avellone calling it a "mod project?" Or has Bethesda's influence reached so far that any videogame that isn't jealously guarded by another publisher becomes a mod project by default? Does the Skyrim modding community roam the vast plains of cyberspace looking for lone, defenseless indie games to piss on and cry "mine now?"

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Interesting.

Best of luck to the guy doing it in getting this past the finishline. :salute:

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
meh, it's like 6th attempt to revive this corpse. All the good ideas they had were salvaged and improved in New Vegas (too bad it was done in a garbage engine).
My first thought was just import New Vegas content to his combat engine.

Jinn

Arcane
Why in God's name would you devote yourself to such a project, only to make the combat RTwP? Was Van Buren planned as RTwP game, because I don't ever remember reading anything about that.

Codex Year of the Donut
Curious as to how many of you have read the van Buren design docs. Sure it's not an accurate representation of what it would have been but FNV as released is a lot better than what was being designed imo.

Why in God's name would you devote yourself to such a project, only to make the combat RTwP? Was Van Buren planned as RTwP game, because I don't ever remember reading anything about that.
Van Buren had both.
This was squarely in the "turn based is mega dead" time period, any publisher would have forced real time at least as an option.

Codex Year of the Donut
I hope he continues staying true to the source material
z8hBmLK.png

None

Scholar
Curious as to how many of you have read the van Buren design docs. Sure it's not an accurate representation of what it would have been but FNV as released is a lot better than what was being designed imo.

I'll go through them every few years. It has become a bit fuzzy, so I'd say that is an excuse to go back through them again. Boulder Dome is probably my favorite one, having to deal with two ticking time bombs in the form of the NCR soldiers and the self-cannibalizing ZAX would have been interesting to encounter.

None

Scholar
Boulder Dome is basically OWB right?
Kind of. Boulder Dome however was far more grounded and less fantastical in it's purpose and content. For example, the Think Tank (emphasis on singular) was a giant brain aquarium filled with comatose'd brains that you could interact with by "feeding" them various substances, implant them into robobrains, or let the facility's ZAX use them for some purpose. Boulder Dome was more like The Glow, in the sense it was a trove of pre-war knowledge.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom