Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Webber cited a quest, where a player has to accompany Takemura on the way to fixer Wakako Okada, as an example of the nonlinear problem. During the mission, you could sit in Takemura’s car and drive to Wakako together, or you could go there on your own, or you could even decline and do nothing.

Okay seriously, if you cite THAT as an example how hard quest design is, you should find another job. Honestly.

If you join Takemura, the car drives there on rails and he just beelines for Wakako in his "I got hemorroids" walking animation.
You don't join him? He gets spawned in front of the shop and an NPC says two lines if you approach.
You ignore him? Same as above, but you get a reminder text from him after a while.
That is "fucking hell" to you?

How did CDPR even manage to do Twitcher 3 if that was already a strain to their developer's skills? :hahano:

The guy sounds like a 16 yo kid on the first day of his very first job after carrying a box of feathers.

Oh and as a reminder of their mad skills: even in 1.31 living Brick still gets a memorial plaque at the cementary instead of Evelyn.
ONE. FUCKING. VARIABLE.

Last edited:

Caim

Arcane
If you join Takemura, the car drives there on rails and he just beelines for Wakako in his "I got hemorroids" walking animation.
You don't join him? He gets spawned in front of the shop and an NPC says two lines if you approach.
You ignore him? Same as above, but you get a reminder text from him after a while.
That is "fucking hell" to you
Sounds like Fallout 4 quest choices, with the options being Yes, Sarcasm (Yes), Ask Question (Yes) and No (Yes).

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
That is "fucking hell" to you
Sounds like Fallout 4 quest choices, with the options being Yes, Sarcasm (Yes), Ask Question (Yes) and No (Yes).

Sounds like Industrial Espionage to me. Someone stole Bioware's playbook!

typical user

Arbiter
Yes and it would be great if everyone was nice and no wars would happen. Your perfect pristine code doesn't exist outside of some nerd hello world code. Again, you attribute "spagetti code" to some gameplay problems.

There is a term called tech debt. I attributed the messy code to gameplay (or to general state of the game) because there is no other reason why they had to cut so many things and have only placeholder mechanics like cops spawning behind player. They had to delay the game 3 times to fix bugs and after 12 months from release we didn't get anything substantial. If the source code is hard to maintain then adding new stuff can be just as problematic. If traffic spawnpoints and navmeshes are hardcoded instead of placed down in map editor then I guess AI rework (law response using aircraft and gangs chasing player with cars) won't happen. Ever.

The design decisions like UX, quests and open world activities were copied from Witcher to save time when they realized stuff that was promised won't be made anytime soon.

Justicar

Dead game
Glory to Ukraine
For a total flop it's still selling very good jabronis :lol::lol::lol:

Top 1 spot on steam and gog.

https://store.steampowered.com/search/?os=win&filter=globaltopsellers

https://af.gog.com/games?page=1&sort=popularity&as=1649904300

Recent reviews on steam jumped to 83% positive :lol:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1091500/Cyberpunk_2077/

Im 100% sure when they release expansions and next gen version gaymers will forgive them and start shilling cyberpunk redemption story :hahano::hahano: especially if other big gayme developers will fuck up their games like Rockstars did with Gta remaster and Ea did with new battlefield.

Gargaune

Magister
There is a term called tech debt. I attributed the messy code to gameplay (or to general state of the game) because there is no other reason why they had to cut so many things and have only placeholder mechanics like cops spawning behind player. They had to delay the game 3 times to fix bugs and after 12 months from release we didn't get anything substantial.
Ineffective time management, unrealistic design goals, good ol' scope creep, excessively quick staffing, that rumoured internal midway reboot, remote work under the Coronavirus pandemic etc. - there's myriad other reasons development might've gone tits up. Don't read too much into a throwaway comment from Tost and also consider that you've got a designer quoted a few posts up complaining about how designing reactivity was "fucking hell" with the example of whether you take a drive with Takemura or not... I seriously doubt the code is to blame there.

The crux of the matter is that if we entertain this notion that CBP's state is mainly due to an unmanageable codebase, you'd assume that more time to clean up would've resulted in a substantially better game. But I don't believe that's the case. More time would've helped, sure, but I doubt the fundamentals of CBP's lackluster gameplay would've changed much - e.g. it ain't "spaghetti code" that stopped CDPR making a meaningful perks system or proper itemisation.

As to the dubious post-release lull, I think we'll get a better idea when the "next gen" edition comes out. If your suspicions are right, this extra development time should result in a material improvement to gameplay quality. If I'm right... it won't.

Last edited:

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Yes and it would be great if everyone was nice and no wars would happen. Your perfect pristine code doesn't exist outside of some nerd hello world code. Again, you attribute "spagetti code" to some gameplay problems.

There is a term called tech debt. I attributed the messy code to gameplay (or to general state of the game) because there is no other reason why they had to cut so many things and have only placeholder mechanics like cops spawning behind player. They had to delay the game 3 times to fix bugs and after 12 months from release we didn't get anything substantial. If the source code is hard to maintain then adding new stuff can be just as problematic. If traffic spawnpoints and navmeshes are hardcoded instead of placed down in map editor then I guess AI rework (law response using aircraft and gangs chasing player with cars) won't happen. Ever.

The design decisions like UX, quests and open world activities were copied from Witcher to save time when they realized stuff that was promised won't be made anytime soon.
I actually thought that they've actually (quite strangely) failed at at least copying the world's activities and much less quests from the W3, thus creating the exact opposite of the once-dreamt bigger, better game than the said?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Do Witcher 1 on a shoestring budget yet almost every quest branches in some way: flex

Do Witcher 2 with less content but more narrative branching and one of the biggest forks in gaming: it ain't no thing brah

Do Witcher 3 which is basically a GTA/C&C hybrid, shame Grunker's prediction that this will kill any narrative branching and thus annihilate the only worthwhile part of the Witcher-series: yeah you know we poles we pay slave wages we can build this shit you dumb danish cunt

Do Witcher 3 with guns: HOLY SHIT WHAT IS THIS BRANCHING QUEST DESIGN THIS CANNOT BE DONE IT IS SURELY HELL

Last edited:

Tyrr

Liturgist
They did the branching quest design in chapter 1. That quest in the factory where you have to buy the robot/drone was very well done. (you know, the only one they always showed people before release)

After that money, time and/or ambition run out for the rest of the game.

Codex Year of the Donut
They did the branching quest design in chapter 1. That quest in the factory where you have to buy the robot/drone was very well done. (you know, the only one they always showed people before release)

the missions with Jackie were mostly really good.
Afterwards, the game takes a noticeable nosedive in quality.

Gargaune

Magister

That one quest and the game's finale, they deserve some credit for that too. The various ending quests play out differently enough, taking up Hanako's offer or trusting Johnny with Rogue, with the side option of going solo, and I didn't even get Aldelcados option. Plus the choice to bail early. You've got a nice mix of prior and on-the-spot decisions opening up different narrative and gameplay segments, not just a ending slides.

Everything else in between, well... click button, receive Heartfelt Cinematic Moment™.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I haven't played Cyberpunk so I have no clue if it has branching quests. I'm adressing the fact that the amount of work needed for branching was apparantly a complete surprise to a company that made three games whose only worthwhile feature was a good amount of branching and C&C - the last one being just as open worlds as Cyberpunk

Codex Year of the Donut
if you want to understand where they went wrong, compare the length of these videos

cyberpunk has nearly as many people credited as a producer as witcher has for the entire design team

Perkel

Arcane
So is this game good yet?

Doesn't seem like it'll ever be. In contrast to witchers there has been almost no patching or word on major content updates. Seems abandoned tbh

Facts:
- They are hiring non stop for C77 since release. CDPR page is still full of jobs too. "Next Gen" version is 100% in works for PS5/Xbpxserieswhateverfuckitnamewas along with TW3 "next gen" update.
- C77 also had planned 2 expansions and huge multiplayer mode coming nearly 2 years after release (afte two expansions).
- They recently hired team of modders who released wolvenkit for C77. They will be working on modding tools for C77.

So probably the "enchanced edition" coming will be substential rework/expansion. PR is an eye of baholder and they probably want to concetrate good PR around launch so no reason to release major updates other than fixing bugs when overall pecepcion of game on consoles is bad.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
pepe.jpg

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

T.Ashpool

Self-Ejected
https://www.videogameschronicle.com...-considered-a-very-good-game-in-the-long-run/
fresh copium from cdpr themselves. the ceo believes that cyberpunk will be seen as a good game "someday":positive:

“We believe that in the long run Cyberpunk 2077 will be perceived as a very good game, and like our other titles, it will sell for years – especially as the hardware gets more powerful over time and we improve the game.
also confirmed no new updates, patches or dlc this year :mixedemotions:

Kiciński also reiterated that the game would be receiving no more updates in 2021 and that the next-gen version will be released in the first quarter of 2022 alongside a large Version 1.5 patch.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom