Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Seal Team - PC - (1993) (Look at how badass games were 30 years ago.)

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
star citizen is one of the most successful recent games and it caters to one of the most niche markets possible -- old, retired whales
Star Citizen is literally just one gigantic scam. Is that really the example you want to use?

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
Whales prefer dumb games by definition, and are one of the reason for the existence of gatcha games.

Last edited:
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Yeah, H&D was a good one, the devs who made it then went on to work on Mafia while a smaller group of them made Vietcong. Interesting thing about H&D is that you might play it both as a full-on tactical FPS and ignore the planing mode, or you can use the planing mode heavily and play it kinda like an RTS.

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Rogue Spear was the peak of the series, Raven Shield was the last passable Rainbow Six game, after that it all went to shit (I guess the current MP RS6 is OK in its own right, but it has nothing to do with the hardcore simulation that the first two RS6 games were). Ghost Recon unfortunately went downhill much faster, the first one (plus the DLCs) was great (no pre-mission planning and loadouts were class dependent, but it fit well with the military setting, there were some cool inovations like armored vehicles, both friendly and hostile), but after that it became way too casual.

cretin

Magister
Douchebag!
Something like SEAL team could faithfully be recreated in ArmA now but there's actually very little interest in those types of missions. It's why I stopped caring about ArmA, the community has these immensely powerful scenario design tools and they choose to create shit like "arma life" (some mongrel cross between the sims and GTA) or lame battlefield clones, or in the case of coop mission design, it's almost always some really fucking dumb mission where you take on the population of a small island nation. Most of the quality mission design is gated behind insular communities.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Something like SEAL team could faithfully be recreated in ArmA now but there's actually very little interest in those types of missions. It's why I stopped caring about ArmA, the community has these immensely powerful scenario design tools and they choose to create shit like "arma life" (some mongrel cross between the sims and GTA) or lame battlefield clones, or in the case of coop mission design, it's almost always some really fucking dumb mission where you take on the population of a small island nation. Most of the quality mission design is gated behind insular communities.
Yes! I guessed because DayZ brought in a new audience who are mostly retards. But it's tragic having such a powerful scenario maker and nobody using it. I made some really good missions but then I play them by myself and I already know what to expect. The most fun I had with it was when Arma2 was new and I had the demo or something and I could make missions and people who were checking out the game would join and play my missions with me. It was so fun, and then the whole thing basically ended when I got the game.

Narushima

Cipher
Most of the quality mission design is gated behind insular communities.
Gated? You can just join communities, you know?
That's how I played a different user-made mission every evening on Arma 3 for about two years, with military-like hierarchy and specific roles, usually in realistic settings. it was great.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom