Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

Duraframe300

Arcane
I demand my time back. I was expecting Sawyer to completely embarrass himself.
:rpgcodex:

Really?

I mean we know since at least New Vegas that Sawyer can sing. A wig was the most he could do to embarrass himself other than intentionally failing.
And I'm not sure Sawyer is capable of doing that convincingly. *Meh* was to expect here.

:bunkertime:

Gentlemen,

9odRH9X.jpg

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
the crazy thing is poe2 is actually a finished game by modern standards

especially with the dlc I haven't even beaten 2 of the dlcs yet

Ditto. I can foresee another playthrough or two, it's definitely a highly polished and properly finished game with loads of content, whatever else you might want to say about it.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
So, against all my wisdom I decided to replay this. Only played it at release and finished it in 40+hours. I remember being mildly dissapointed and bored. Have several questions for you gentle codexers.

-Is turn based worth it? I played with a dwarven rouge using muskets and pistols and attack speed was important for that character. How did they handled that kind of game systems?
-how viable is a full plate wearing sword and board tank. Thinking to play as a typical dwarf with axe and shield. Boring or not enough bashing?
-I remember game being really easy, Path of the Damned is obligatory I think.
-I did all them book events pre-ship combat with spamming 1 and boarding with haste to the boring deck combat. Is this still the way?
-Any tips for changed small game systems since the release? Don't want to miss little but important stuff because my grumpy brain remembers it different.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
I tried tb for a while, didn't get too far because I was really disinterested in the game when the update came out.

- TB is p well done overall, but it exacerbates the blandness of the combat and awesome battans for everyone design where you just click the same stuff all the time
- Speed is a dump stat in TB
- It didn't seem like they did any, even very basic, check/overhaul of the skills for TB so there definitely are some problems like certain skills becoming way worse than others
- There is a bug that when you initiate a combat in a residential area (like the sailors or the imp quests in the capital docks), neutrals often become hostile
- I don't think anything else was changed much, so your impressions regarding shit, oh sorry - I meant ship, combat and other stuff are still valid

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Watching that horrible Wheel of time Show and only now realize Pillars II copied the entirety of its terrible fantasy main plot from another shitty fantasy source :lol: and the whole Pillars-univers' core conceit, I suppose

It all makes sense now though it kind of contradicts Sawyer's supposed dislike of corny high fantasy which WoT certainly is

Last edited:

Delterius

Arcane
Watching that horrible Wheel of time Show and only now realize Pillars II copied its terrible fantasy main plot (well, motivation for its "villain" at least) from another shitty fantasy source :lol: and I suppose the entire Pillars-univers' core conceit

It all makes sense now though it kind of contradicts Sawyer's supposed dislike of corny high fantasy which WoT certainly is
we may not have vancian magics, but we have a vancian plot

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Watching that horrible Wheel of time Show and only now realize Pillars II copied its terrible fantasy main plot (well, motivation for its "villain" at least) from another shitty fantasy source :lol: and the entire Pillars-univers' core conceit, I suppose

Man both are really horrible.

Sad part is this game had the potential to became a new Pirates! game. Just cut the terrible terrible story parts, add some memorable characters (%99 of PoE 2 s characters are forgetable and boring, that is a record)a decent ship battle screen and with some real trading you have your pirate sim.

ferratilis

Magister
Is there any good way of changing companions' subclasses without disabling achievements? The Nexus page for the Unity Console has a warning that it hasn't been updated in a long time and may not work well with the current version. I just want to change Serafen's cipher subclass, so any suggestions are welcome.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Is there any good way of changing companions' subclasses without disabling achievements? The Nexus page for the Unity Console has a warning that it hasn't been updated in a long time and may not work well with the current version. I just want to change Serafen's cipher subclass, so any suggestions are welcome.

There's a reference to a slightly updated version of the Unity console somewhere in the comments posts if you dig down a bit, and with some tweaks at the link referenced there (which links to a discussion on the nexus forums), there's a way of making it semi-work with the latest version of the game. I remember getting it semi-working (at least the respec part) but you do have to jump through some hoops, and it's best to keep it uninstalled for normal play. (This was about a year ago.)

ferratilis

Magister
Well, fuck it then. I'll stick with his Wild Mind subclass. Don't know what they were thinking when they designed him. It's such a cool character, but with his stats, no way I'm playing his as a barbarian or pure melee character. Fucking Josh :argh:

Erebus

Arcane
Currently playing as a single-classed Chanter specialized in summoning. I hadn't tried it before because the long casting time of summoning spells seemed like a problem, but in truth, it's a pretty powerful build. Of course, the chanter doesn't get to do much during fights except summon creatures, but since you can control summoned creatures (and they often have special abilities), it's not boring.

In general, I consider the Chanter to be one of the most creative classes in the game. Sure, it's a bard, but it's extremely different from the traditional D&D bard. You never run out of invocations, the chants offer a lot of flexibility when it comes to buffs and debuffs, and the basic concept is pretty cool.

It's a pity that most of the other classes (aside from the Cipher) are much less imaginative. The Wizard is especially bad : it seems to come straight out of D&D, but with spells that are much less numerous and fun. Priests aren't that original, but at least they have some ties to the story and the history of the setting. Wizards could be removed entirely and nothing would be lost. Better yet : replace them with a class focused on the use of animancy.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
Currently playing as a single-classed Chanter specialized in summoning. I hadn't tried it before because the long casting time of summoning spells seemed like a problem, but in truth, it's a pretty powerful build. Of course, the chanter doesn't get to do much during fights except summon creatures, but since you can control summoned creatures (and they often have special abilities), it's not boring.

In general, I consider the Chanter to be one of the most creative classes in the game. Sure, it's a bard, but it's extremely different from the traditional D&D bard. You never run out of invocations, the chants offer a lot of flexibility when it comes to buffs and debuffs, and the basic concept is pretty cool.

It's a pity that most of the other classes (aside from the Cipher) are much less imaginative. The Wizard is especially bad : it seems to come straight out of D&D, but with spells that are much less numerous and fun. Priests aren't that original, but at least they have some ties to the story and the history of the setting. Wizards could be removed entirely and nothing would be lost. Better yet : replace them with a class focused on the use of animancy.
On the one hand you're right, one the other hand you omit to mention that chanters make micro-managing the party tedious and tiresome. I literally never play with chanters since my first PoE1 playthrough because of the extra management it asks for to be optimised properly. I'd rather have the papladin's aura who just smites here and there and the good ol' priest & wizard caster duo.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I used a Cipher/Chanter when I was playing Deadfire earlier this year. Focus on INT and buffing/debuffing. It wasn't any more micro-intensive than my other characters, but I wasn't really bothering with summons either.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
Yes I specifically talk of optimising the chanter output because I remember you can play with their passive chanting alone and they're already bringing something to the table.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Chanters are bards except playing with them is annoying as fuck.

Give me my D&D bards, pls.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom