Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Europa Universalis IV

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
What a meme game
LUXc.gif

thesecret1

Arcane
Tried out MEIOU 3 alpha for a bit. It's really detailed and the learning curve is brutal – I'm still not sure how half the shit works even after reading the beginner's guide on the wiki and despite having played MEIOU 2.52 extensively (3.0 is completely different in almost every aspect). Looks really ambitious and cool – there are actual pops there now, the game counting how many peasants you have in a province, whether their life (and other) needs are fulfilled (they have wages they buy shit with, Victoria 2-style) and much more.

Sadly the alpha state shows. It's playable right now, but there's stuff missing, some bugs (admittedly small ones though) and I dearly hope they'll seriously polish the UI because it's not very good right now. Personally, I'll wait for beta before I commit to a full playthrough. As for performance, it seemed to me to be significantly better than in 2.52 – starting a new game is a total bitch and took like two minutes, and every time a new year started, the game froze for about 10 seconds, but aside from that, the game ran fairly smoothly for me (at medium speed) without slowdowns at month's end (that 2.52 suffered from).

It's looking pretty good though. This might actually become the best GSG there is once they whip it in shape.

thesecret1

Arcane
Wait, pops in EUIV?! HOW?!
Years and years of trying to make EU4 have depth through modding. The latest version seems to actually be more detailed about pops and tradegoods and what not than Victoria 2... Each province has its pops, which have needs that need satisfying through goods that may or may not be accessible to them, and have a wage that depends on the political climate within said province as well as the state of internal politics in the country overall. This can be further modified by the amount of banditry or rebels present in the province. Naturally, all pops also have a religion, the rate of conversion depending on the power of the Church in said province, on whether they're city folks or rural ones (rural folks tend to be more resistant to conversion) and on the power of the local religious communities (which work to counterbalance Church power and slow the conversion down). Pops also own land, and the share of it they own heavily influences their wages, etc. Speaking of land, there's a limited amount of it in each province, and you can directly kickstart a province's economy by investing in converting unused land into something useful (provided there's still some unused land to develop, of course).

It's all deeper than what I'm describing, and it's not even the full scope of the system (and it's only one of many systems MEIOU introduces), but it should give you the idea of how ridiculously autistic it all is. Pure incline. I'm still gonna wait for when they leave alpha before I commit to a full 100+ hour playthrough though

There's a jan 2nd pause every year that takes about 20s-1min depending on your PC speed but otherwise performance is fairly good considering what's going on.

Provinces can have multiple religions in them and conversion is tracked on a % basis. Missionaries convert a set number of pops when they finish.

thesecret1

Arcane
How about the Performance? How does it run?
Much slower than vanilla, obviously. But not unplayably so, at least not on my machine (my CPU: i7-9750H). In fact, it runs kinda smooth on medium speed, but I don't think it can handle higher ones without lagging like a bitch.

Are all pops in a province mono-religious or can a province have pops of multiple religions?
Of course they aren't mono religious. I think a picture will explain it far better and quicker than words can, so here, look:

Higher Game

Arcane
jesus christ tbh base eu4 already runs like shit for me i'm afraid of even trying meiou out

ck2 by comparison runs like its ms paint

I've been dragging my heels with my potato pc for so long because cryptocurrency cucks have ruined the graphics card market, even before COVID. :argh:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
How about the Performance? How does it run?
Much slower than vanilla, obviously. But not unplayably so, at least not on my machine (my CPU: i7-9750H). In fact, it runs kinda smooth on medium speed, but I don't think it can handle higher ones without lagging like a bitch.

Are all pops in a province mono-religious or can a province have pops of multiple religions?
Of course they aren't mono religious. I think a picture will explain it far better and quicker than words can, so here, look:
Yeah,EU4 have the best modding content by far. There is quite a few mods that far surpass anything paradox could come up with.

Mikeal

Arcane
Yo new update for Anbennar just drop.
gO8-TS0qG4Df8M0b7GQq0YS1FgSvpwpQqD581-eRfOI.jpg

You’ve never known a darker evil. You’ve never known a brighter light. And I promise you, you’ve never played EU4 like this --

The “Light and Dark” update for Anbennar: A Fantasy Total Conversion Mod has been released and is compatible with EU4 1.32!

• The land of the sun, Bulwar, has been totally revamped. The New Sun Cult, where Sun Elves lead as Surael’s chosen, now features an isolationism-inspired scale of the Chosen’s Role to measure whether they serve as mere priests or rule as God-Kings. Navigate between those via decisive incidents, which offer unique challenges and just as unique rewards -- from the death of the Sun Cult’s founder to the rise of a Mummy God-King. Explore it in new Mission Trees for Azka-Evran, where a bastard seeks to restore Bahar and reforge Jaher’s old spear, and Azka-Sur, where the first human king in generations seeks a new way to serve as Bulwar’s shield. The Old Sun Cult does not rest either, and will now have access to Holy Orders and Holy Sites to help them do just that.

• Furthermore, Bulwar has received a vast amount of flavour in every dimension -- a plethora of flavour events ranging from interactions with the desert nomad Masnsih, to explorations of an ancient city, to in-depth simulations of horse races. The united human formable, Surakeš, has received a sprawling Mission Tree where you forge a united Bulwari identity, stacking some ridiculous modifiers along the way (try starting as Re’uyel!).

• The most powerful Witch-King might aspire to match the Sorcerer-King of old. But now, if you’re a Witch-King and win the Wars of Escanni Consolidation by controlling 100 Escanni provinces and all Castonath at their end, you can surpass him. The Black Demesne is a new formable where magic will be taken to its apotheosis (and don’t worry about RNG keeping you from learning new spells, the system has been reworked to use experience and ensure no studying is wasted).

• Drain the Deepwoods dry and experience a brand-new magic duels system, as you crush whatever resistance the world musters, even and up to a second Aldresian Crusade. But no Sorcerer-King rules alone, and if you manage your Acolytes well, via a system of Dominions Law privileges, a tournament of Wizard Duels in the Blackpurgis, and much more, you will reap countless rewards, including the ability to conquer even the largest of countries in a single war. (Try starting as the Order of the Iron Sceptre, and forming Esthíl, to experience their new MT that takes necromancy to the next level).

• You might also choose a brighter path out of the Wars of Escanni Consolidation, if you have integrated Castonath’s Patricians. Dare I say, a silvery one? Reform Castanor, see Humanity’s first empire return as its greatest, and experience Anbennar’s most impressive Mission Tree, bar none.

• Use powerful Legions, establish Dominions to govern unruly lands, and assimilate every other human culture into Castanorian. Settle ancient grudges (perfidious gnomes!), build new Citadels, and use artificery to turn Castonath into the true City of the World’s Desire. Just be careful -- the Choose-Your-Own-Adventure Castanorian Trials system is not for the faint of heart, and those patricians are unlikely to rest easy…

• Darkness doesn’t just pour. It rains as well, from zombie hordes to eldritch cults to thieves’ guilds to powerful hags and more. And in response, the classic cry -- Adventurers Wanted! Use new privileges to respond to these incursions, and carefully watch their spread, to see your country thrive.
One of Anbennar’s most-anticipated updates is finally here. Will you take up the light? Will you descend to the darkness? Will you play as an OPM, and just try to make music and friends? The choice is yours!

If you want to dive in, download the mod on steam and get going. If you’re not sure which country to play, check out this site with details on the dozens of new mission trees (those mentioned below are but a fraction!). Have questions, or just curious about lore? Check our weekly questions thread or head over to the discord. For a full changelog, or just the highlights, read onward!

(Huge thanks to u/ragingrage for this amazing writeup and the feature highlights that follows, and u/Biegeltoren for the stunning release art. Here you can see the unedited version)

• give award
  • Nopani I like lakes[S] 31 punktów 13 godzin temu*

Light and Dark Highlights
    • Castanor Mission Tree

• New Escanni formable Black Demesne with Mission Tree

• Corintar, Esthíl and Elikhand Mission Trees

• Azka-Evran and Surakeš Mission Trees

• New Sun Cult overhaul with Shinto mechanics and a shit load of incidents

• Old Sun Cult Holy Sites and Holy Orders
    Other Highlights
    • Eordand Mission Tree

• Krakdhûmvror Mission Tree

• Silverforge Mission Tree

• Seinathíl Mission Tree

• Northern League magnate disaster and formable for Gawed

• Adventurers Wanted AKA Infestation Events

• Magic Study System Rework - its now now XP-based rather than chance
    And now for the full Content Changelog:
    New Missions

Cannor

The Empire of Anbennar:
    • Seinathíl (Friendship is Music! And music is… massive Bardic Warfare buffs?)

• Silverforge (Strip-mine Esmaria to avenge some grudges and finish your Hold)
    Escann:
    • Common Goblins (Scrounge, survive and modernize, eking out an existence between adventurers and orcs)

• Esthíl (A dark lady rises… and so do Escann’s dead)

• Elikhand (Realize the Mummy's vision of Elikhet's greatness in Escann)

• Corintar (Rebuild Escann, teach Corin’s truths, and spread her faith under a red banner)

• Castanor (A Silver Dragon rises, and humanity’s first empire becomes its last and best)

• Black Demesne (You think you’ve seen Witch-Kings? How about a Sorcerer-King?)
    Gerudia:
    • Gerudaghot (Build a frost troll empire worthy of the giants who made you)
    Bulwar

Humans:
    • Re’uyel (Navigate a crossroad of faiths to become the protector of the Bahari)

• Azka-Sur (Sun Elven divinity backed by human might)
    Sun Elves:
    • Elizna (Seize Jaher’s legacy, specifically his claim to Kheterata!)

• Azka-Evran (Help a bastard lord reforge both a fallen kingdom and Jaher’s spear)

• Birsartanšes Revamp (A brutal bureaucracy eliminates generic missions, and heretics)
    Monsters:
    • Marblehead (The goblins in Aqatbar are back and better than ever!)

• Greysheep (Style so good, it kills)

• Harpylen minor adjustments (Flavour rains from above!)
    Formables:
    • Surakeš (Unite the Bulwari, build gardens, and stack modifiers in the name of Surakel)

• Phoenix Empire Adjustments (Customize an incredible palace; claims made permanent with a stacking modifier if you complete missions quickly)
    The Dwarovar
    • Krakdhûmvror (Use the Ice-Smiths’ magic to forge squabbling clans into an ice-bound Empire)

• Verkal Dromak (A dwarf dreams, and the world’s foundations shift)

• Roadwarriors (All aboard the megatrain-convoy, time to raze the Dwarovar!)
    Aelantir
    • Eordand Formable (The chosen of the Fey will banish any intruders from Aelantir, and perhaps see a portal open to a new universe of possibility)
    New Ideas

Cannor

The Reach: Alencay, Reachspier, Envermarck, Coldmarket

The Empire of Anbennar: Silverforge, Varivar, Damish Temple, Exes, Hill Gnolls

Lencenor: Rubyhold, Cowskeep

Bulwar/Sarhal

Monsters: Tluukt, Zokka, Mulen, Siadan, The Overclan

Releasables: Kuzaram, Anzarzax, Avamezan, Hašr, Medurubar, Sihrušam

Sun Elves: Elizna, Birsartanšes

The Dwarovar

Dwarves: Dwarovar Adventurers, Krakdhûmvror (adjusted)

Monsters: Roadwarriors, Underkingdom (Tree of Stone goblin formable)

Aelantir

Kheionai: Amgremós

Taychend: Orenkoraim, Nagar Vyechei, Sibisimra

Ynn: Ynnic Empire

Spawnables: Freemarches, Sornicande, Saamirses, Cestirmark

Events
    • Magnate-related events for Alenics

• Bulwar flavour events (Holy orders, the expedition to Ulmisbar, Mašnsih-related events, and more!)

• Arosha Event Chain for orcs in Escann (one of Corin’s Circle teaching orcs about her)

• A Gommo Research Institute event chain gives artificery-relevant provinces around Halann unique buffs (and gnomes!)

• Death Event for Taelarios Irrliazuir

• Aelantir spawnables can buy or seize their intended capital if a Ruinborn native occupies it

• Trade Good Event boosts Naval Supplies prices for 100 years when Aelantiri Adventurers spawn

• Resettling Far Bulwar reworked (Bulwari provinces now start with refugees who will slowly return if the gnolls are beaten back)

• “End of Eaglecrest” Flavour event for Kobolds

• Fragment of the Precursors - Precursor Vault now has writing

• Fragment of the Precursors - Floating City now has writing
    Formables and New Tags
    • Black Demesne, formable by any Witch-King (or Esthil) after the Wars of Escanni Consolidation

• Moredhal REMOVED pending finishing work, will be added later

• Northern League, formable by Gawed through a disaster (featuring Tsardom buttons!)
    Bulwar:
    • Kuzaram, a releasable country in southern Bahar

• Anzarzax, a releasable country between Harpy Hills and Bulwar Proper

• Sihrušam, a releasable country for the Mašnsih of the Far Salahad

• The Overclan (formerly Aqatbar Overclan), formable by any Exodus Goblin
    Art
    • Native depictions in uncolonized provinces for Aelantir and beyond

• Adventuring Efficiency banner

• Changed Ages pictures and icons to use Anbennar relevant ones

• Leechfather religion icon

• Artificer units background is all artificery

• Dwarven adventurer company reform icons

• "Select Deity" icon adjusted

• Revised which recoloured vanilla models are used for surface goblins

• Mage personality icon

• Decision icons for Anbennar systems

• Loading Screen - The Samartal Summit by Biegeltoren

• Loading Screen - Black Demesne by Biegeltoren

• Loading Screen - The Struggle by Biegeltoren
    Government Reforms, Privileges and Decisions⚖️
    • Gnoll Pack tier 0 reform, allowing gnolls to raze

• Magnate-related reforms for Alenics

• Emerald Horde now has razing, and Emerald Orcs can take Barbaric Despoiler

• Various privileges related to Adventurers Wanted, like sponsoring specific adventurer types to increase removal chance, or Protected Burial Rights to prevent ghouls

• Religious Unity Privilege for the Hunt

• Decision for Orenkoraim to relocate its capital to the island of Kottar
    World and Naming

World adjustments:
    • Mushroom Forest terrain added in the Effelai

• Reworked Bulwari Trade nodes (Ovdal Tûngr renamed Bahar, Harpylen only flows to Bulwar and Bahar, Serpentsreach flows to Bahar, Brasan flows to Bahar, Bahar flows to Flooded Coast)

• Forest terrain now consistently refers to Boreal forests, others have Woods terrain

• Most islands now have coastline terrain

• Buffed most of Endralliande Woods provinces to Grasslands

• Added more starting forts in Bulwar

• Made various Forbidden Plains province borders more aesthetic
    Country, race and culture adjustments:
    • Iron Hammers start as Stone Dwarf, and will flip to Iron Dwarf after forming Hammerhome (like other adventurers)

• Šadnatu culture for Sad Sur and surrounds

• Mašnsih culture for Far Salahad humans

• Renamed Muhíi'i culture in Effelai to Seedthrall and rearranged borders

• Ynnsman and Trollsbayer culture groups for relevant adventurers

• Added human minorities to gnollish provinces in Bulwar

• Added dwarven minorities to Rahen

• Added starting ruler and heir to Larankar

• Added starting rulers for Escanni orcs + Gurukk Siegebreaker for Siegebreaker
    Startup screens:
    • Verne

• Gawed

• Bjarnrik

• Harpylen

• Bjarnrik

• All Sun Elves

• Religion: The Jadd

• Religion: The Hunt

• Religion: New Sun Cult and Old Sun Cult

• Environment: Bulwar
    Names:
    • New surnames for Cannor

• Kobold dynamic names in Cannor

• Kobold dynamic names for Haraf

• Goblin dynamic names for Haraf

• Native names for Soruin

• Orcish dynamic names for Soruin & West Effelai

• Gnomish dynamic names for Ruined Isles, Broken Sea and Eordand

• Harafe Ruinborn keep Boek province names for Noruin's western half

• Reveria Colonial Nation names

• Elven dynamic names for Ynn River Valley

• Maqet area province names

• Ruler and government names for Taychend

• Dynamic names for Eordan culture expanding into the rest of Aelantir
    • rodzic
    • give award
    • Nopani I like lakes[S] 27 punktów 13 godzin temu*

Religion
      • New Sun Cult overhaul to use much-adapted Shinto Incidents and Isolationism:

• Incidents: Bulwar Under Threat, Death of Taelarios, Summit of Samartal, Call of Aelantir, Silent as the Grave, Rise of Artificery, Spread of Ravelianism, The Return of Magic
        • Disasters: Dukeldar, Dinam Elutur
      • Xhazobkult uses Demonic Power, a revamped version of Orthodox:

• Icons: Invocation of Hellfire, of Chains, of Blood, of Gold, of Eyes
        • Gather sacrifices decisions and peace options.
      • Old Sun Cult Holy Sites and Holy Orders (including a Karashar-unique one)

• Khetist guru mechanics

• Dalcabba, Elikhand’s syncretic faith mixing Khetist and Cannorian beliefs (also uses gurus)

• Mountain Watchers (Obrtrol’s religion) now has Holy Sites

• Mother Akan Mechanics (Four cyclical buffs, which upgrade as you reclaim the Akani mountains)

• Additional cults for Goblin Shamanism

• Ynn River Worship mechanics (a 64-year zodiac; buffs every 4 years and for a ruler’s birth sign)

• Death Cult of Cheshosh given its own religious group
      Systems and Mechanics
      • Adventurers Wanted AKA Infestation Events

• Elite Mercenaries - Many mission-granted “mercenaries” no longer cost army professionalism

• Ynnic nations can make tributaries out of non-Ynnic nations

• Magic Study System Rework - its now now XP-based rather than chance
      Balance and Quality of Life

Game Setup
      • Jaddar now has militarist personality

• Lorent and Wex start with Royal Marriage

• Wex no longer starts with elves and half-elves as Oppressed

• Mushroom Forest now only spawn Fungi, Exotic Wood (Mushroom Furniture!), and Tea (Mushroom tea and Kombucha!)

• Reduced Jayek’s starting Tribal Land

• Mykx now counts as a historical pirate and can thus be freely re-elected

• Tweaking Aelantir adventurers & settlers spawn times (spawn time MTTH drastically sped up once one spawnable has arrived in a region, expanded some spawn areas, loosened requirements)

• Giberd and Silverforge are now historical friends

• Church Power is now called Religious Power
      System Tweaks
      • Jadd Fervor bonuses no longer vanilla, now provide (-corruption and -advisor cost), (land/navy morale), (tolerance_own and global_trade_power)

• Undead army rebalanced (More manpower and FL, more shock/fire received, less shock/fire dealt, 400% reserve organization)

• Systems decision text are highlighted different color /w icons too

• Quality of life decision indicating Escanni Consolidations Wars’ victory and formable conditions

• Changed Greentide Settlers to Spoils of Escann (giving +loot available and speed)

• Notification for players if their fort gets Dominated to Surrender
      Content
      • Disabled Great Kinstrife disaster for Allclan pending rework

• 11th Pantheonic Council/Corinite spawning happens a bit quicker

• Jadd Expedition now discovers Middle Serpentspine provinces

• Kobold MT smoothed (requires fewer provinces from Reveria and Gawed, no “wait until 14XX” missions)

• Kobilzan formation requires adm tech 7 (down from 10)

• Resettling Venáil rework (culture changes and dev as the Lorentish re-settle the abandoned isle)

• Balgabar spawn event now happens for owner of Silverforge Hall province

• More Anbennar-specific insults

• Malacnar's missions about interacting with Cannorian tech also accept Elven, Dwarven and Gnomish technology groups

• Revised Dartaxagerdim missions where genie relics were construed as precursor relics to (and adjusted their lore)

• Totemist moved to Aelantiri religion group

• Karashar can no longer get the half-orc spawning event

• Notification event if your fort gets Dominated to Surrender
      Value Changes, etc
      • Eborthíl Naval Maintenance tradition cut from -0.5 to -0.2

• Witch King Modifier adjusted (Less +AE, less -IR, less discipline)

• Mage Loyalty from Magisterium Organization buffed so they no longer sit below 30

• Ivory has a low chance to spawn in Veykoda (Sabertooths and Wooly Rhinos, oh my!)
      AI♂️
      • Prevented AI Trollsbay nations from colonizing outside of their region (gives Cannorian colonizers a chance to colonize rest of Aelantir)
      Bugfix ⚕️
      • Change Forager's Camp, now gives -land attrition

• Re-order decisions so AI can again form Feudal Escanni nations

• A lot more stuff!

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
last time i checked, the new launcher made impossible to use mods on the pirated version.
  • Codex crack/any other crack doesn't work with the launcher:
    • Install the launcher. Go to the game folder and edit the "launcher-settings.json". Look for the line called "distPlatform": "steam" and change it to "distPlatform": "gog". Then start the game using the dowser.exe.
    • Install the launcher. Extract the Codex crack (or any other crack) additionally to "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Programs\Paradox Interactive\launcher-vX.YYYY.MM.DD\resources\app.asar.unpacked\dist\main".
The distplatform:gog made it work on my new hoi4 install.

thesecret1

Arcane
Well, you can do THAT, or you can just bypass the launcher entirely... I got tired of dealing with that bullshit when the only thing it does is check which mods/expansions the game should load, so I figured out how it actually works...
1. go to C:\Users\[YOUR NAME]\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Europa Universalis IV
2. open dlc_load.json (if it doesn't exist, you may need to launch the game at least once first, or, hell, just create the file there manually)
3. open it in notepad++ or some other editor of your choice
4. the file will only have one line, looking something like this: {"disabled_dlcs":[],"enabled_mods":[]}
5. to enable the mod you want, just write in the path to your .mod file in the mod folder (the folder is in the same place as the dlc_load.json file. Each mod you put there should have a folder with its name, as well as a .mod file next to it). The content of the file will then look something like this: {"disabled_dlcs":[],"enabled_mods":["mod/MEIOU.mod"]} (make sure you include the quotes and everything)
6. launch the game not through the launcher, but by using the .exe file. It will start the game with the selected mods enabled

No need to mess around with any cracks or whatever, you are just doing the same thing that the launcher does, only manually.

it's nice to be wrong once in a while.

now, is there a direct download link or should i have to use that site and aim it at the workshop? or, shudder, should i install the game, then download the mod through workshop and then manually move it? damn i'm lazy, back with arcanum i created my own backgrounds.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
, hell, just create the file there manually)
That one doesn't work. He needs to launch it with a mod to be created. Making it yourself doesn't reg it for the game. Spend a bunch of time trying to fix that shit a month ago. Tho most pirated versions have pirated launcher too and you could just start the launcher,enable the wanted mods,then exit the launcher and start the game trough the exe. The pirated launcher is mostly under the name "dowser".

thesecret1

Arcane
it's nice to be wrong once in a while.

now, is there a direct download link or should i have to use that site and aim it at the workshop? or, shudder, should i install the game, then download the mod through workshop and then manually move it? damn i'm lazy, back with arcanum i created my own backgrounds.
just search for "steam workshop downloader" with a search engine of your choice, and it should spit several alternatives at you that all do the same thing – you give them the link to the mod on steamworkshop, and it will provide you with a direct download link. Never let Steam stop you from modding non-steam games ever again!

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
should i install the game, then download the mod through workshop and then manually move it?
I tried this once and it's so convoluted, annoying and long winded that I would never recommend it to anyone. (talking about paradox games)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom