Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Are you a creative namer?

mondblut

Arcane
Whichever makes it easier to tell the characters apart. Like "Mage", "Healer", "Tank", "Sword" and shit.

Caring about made-up character names is the first step on the way to caring about made-up character personalities. Therein lies the larpery, and that is the path no straight man would tread.

lametta

Educated
I either use adult star names for my female characters or some shitty wordplay if its a male like "OneKnightInParis" "DaddyStopTouchin" etc. not very creative i guess

deem

Savant
I name all my characters after famous painters. Mondrian, Giger, Vermeer, Raphael, Munch... these names seem to fit any setting, be it dark fantasy or post-apocalypse.

vazha

Arcane
Just out of curiousity, what are your barbarians usually named as? Cranach?

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
I used to name characters with whatever name I would make up at the time. My first BG series runthrough was a half orc named Bertha who growled like a chain smoking new yorker. Eventually I started naming my characters one word names like "Finder," or "Seeker," or "Lost." It's easier to roleplay when my character concept can be in that one word than when they have a normal ass contextualess name. In games where you create a party I just name them random things like "Yeehaw," and "Scooby Doo." And if it's a Bioware game my character always gets named "Boinkers," because it feels like it fits well with the sort of tone Bioware goes for.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I name my characters after pets I've had and try to follow their personalities. It works better in some games than others.

In Darklands it works pretty well. There's the sneaky rogue cat, the pious and virtuous nun cat, and the charismatic small dog who always makes a good first impression with strangers.

In Romance of the Three Kingdoms, I'm stuck trying to figure out just how good each pet would be as an administrator in the civil service of the Han Dynasty.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Not really, but I'm quite fond of some of the names I've given characters in the past. Most of the names below are superhero character names from City of Heroes and Champions Online. Mediaeval fantasy names tend to offer less scope for creativity (if you're trying to stay in-lore), although you can sometimes work in a hint of the character's nature in a vaguely evocative Vancian/JRR Martin sort of way (like "Snidely Lothering"). Superhero names offer the widest scope, e.g.:-

Sister Steel (German soldier from an alternative timeline, in a WWII iron man suit)
Arcana Caelestia (descendant of a family of Victorian explorers who fetched up in a magic dimension - she bears the family heirloom, a magic flintlock :) )
Speed Shock (lightning-throwing speedster)
Omnimorph (my Warframe character)
Kid Chrono (teenage time-travelling hi-tech gadget-using gunslinger, born in the Wild West)
Black Block (huge anarchist brute/tank :) )
Deflecto (force-field controller, science experiment gone wrong blah-de-blah)

etc.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
The players in my current Blood Bowl team, Dungeon Master's TV-Guide:

Breaking Slaad
Beverly Hill Giants, 90210
Desperate House Wights
Bold and the Beholders
The Late Late Drow
Gossip Ghoul
Yuan-Ti Be a Millionaire
Mimic Busters
Fiends
Half-Dragon's Tail
Days of Our Dracolich
Teenage Mutant Dragon Turtles
How I Met Your Gelatinous Cube
Leomund's Tiny Hut of Cards
Game of Trolls
Darebaatezu

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I recently started a pokemon heartgold run and my team consists of:

Charles (Zubat)
Fred (Wooper)
Bob (Chikorita)
Albert (Gastly)
Jean (Mareep)

Very obviously not creative at all.

Oh, and an unnamed spinarak I don't plan on actually using.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
I recently started a pokemon heartgold run and my team consists of:

Charles (Zubat)
Fred (Wooper)
Bob (Chikorita)
Albert (Gastly)
Jean (Mareep)

Very obviously not creative at all.

Oh, and an unnamed spinarak I don't plan on actually using.
That's very cute, I got to naming my pokemon only a few years ago, as a kid I was way too serious about them having default names. Naming my little guy Terrence makes me more inclined to rely on him, and more invested into keeping him healthy and battle ready :hug:

Reinhardt

Arcane
Whichever makes it easier to tell the characters apart. Like "Mage", "Healer", "Tank", "Sword" and shit.

Caring about made-up character names is the first step on the way to caring about made-up character personalities. Therein lies the larpery, and that is the path no straight man would tread.
What if i have TWO samurai in first row?

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher
No, I fucking suffer when I have to come up with a name and pray that the random name generator will save me.

mondblut

Arcane

Call them "Samu" and "Rai".

Reinhardt

Arcane

What about 3 bishops?

mondblut

Arcane

What about 3 bishops?

I don't larp an Easter procession, soreh.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

What about 3 bishops?
Anglican, Catholic, Orthodox?

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

What about 3 bishops?
Anglican, Catholic, Orthodox?

Bi Sho Pi

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I usually make names that are more or less lore appropriate and fit with the game I'm playing. There are a few that I have that cut across games and genres though that are usually references to old tabletop characters.

Sometimes if I'm in the mood, I'll make more goofy names that amuse me for whatever reason like "Tacobelle", but that's relatively rare and more common if I'm playing a multiplayer game online.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I like names that both sound good and indicate the character's class, like Sam Salazar for a samurai, for example.

Rieser

Scholar
No, I'm pretty shit at names. It's Generic Hero Name #783178 for me, thank you very much.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom