Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

mastroego

Arcane
So you guys'd risk it even with this exceptional Control price?
I don't know, it feels like stealing...

mastroego

Arcane
Well I got the ultracheap Control key.
But it's for GOG: I can afford having even the entire GOG account nuked.
In fact, I never meant to buy anything again from them.... but then I didn't, even now, as a matter of fact.

Self-Ejected

c2007

Self-Ejected
Bought LA Noire on sale, after pirating it and playing enough of it to say, uh ok. It is decent, but there are some mesh problems and I have gotten stuck to things a few times which is fucking jank. Oh well. Will play some more. The historical low price was decent, I think worth it for the game. Interesting to recognize these actors.

Despite loathing Origin, there were some Star Wars titles I consumed at their cheap prices. Interested to see how I feel about Fallen Order.

The backlog has grown with these sales, and I spent maybe $40 on 6 games. Not bad.

Oh, and have grabbed Ghost Runner and a couple other decent games for free thanks to the Prime account. Thanks Lord Bezos, you're a cunt but I'll take my crumbs.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
need a good sci-fi game with a story to play, pls recommend

Space Invaders (1978) while listening to the audiobook versions of the Foundation Trilogy by Isaac Asimov.

Actually, more seriously, what sort of game are you looking for? I mean, this could be pretty much anything from a flight sim, strategy game (RT or TB), RPG, etc. Good and sci fi do narrow it down a lot, but there are still pretty vast differences in what's out there.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Maybe try that Due Sex game everyone keeps talking about, it has conspiracies and nanotechnology and everything.

Yeah, Invisible War was badass and a classic. It even brought in one ammo type for everything years before Mass Effect did the same.

Irata

Scholar
This is the first time since the end of flash sales that Steam actually has a few decent discounts. But only a few. Still not buying anything.

If you just want to have a laugh over the Steam Awards nominate Crab Game for GOTY. If you want to piss off Xbox players upset over cosmetics then nominate Halo Infinite.

Lagi

Savant
i buy bunch of games but only enjoy one

the ambient is worse than in Darkest Dungeon - graphic, no narration. But the gameplay is very good. And i feel less railroaded, I have more freedom in what I am doing. Also the card and inventory system is interesting, quite fresh idea. Hmm.. I think i still prefer Darkest Dungeon, but Derelicts is very good nevertheless.

platformer Ori 2 - Will of the Wisp gameplay was very good. Controls of your character is very nice, i almost never get angry that i dont land on narrow place (air control) or didnt reach the edge (climbing). Load system after death is flawless. Game starts dull, but once you start exploring map and gaining new abilities, you just cannot stop. Flow of game is much better than Blasphemous. I stop playing because I get headache from the graphic after few hours of game - all this blur and lights, Blasphemous art style is so far the best.

----------------
i play warhammer 2, i was surprise it run on my integrated card (on lowest setting). Camera control on WSAD is great, monsters and flying units are fantastic. All this tiny human scattering around after charge is a good fun. However the units are very tiny, and normal gameplay is watching Icons(banners) with HP bars moving around the massive battle zone. The campaign is interesting at first (voice acting are great), but then i get tired from clicking end turn over again, waiting to move my lords to next city, waiting during siege, or waiting for upgrade/construction to finish.

i play medieval 2 - its relief that my soldiers are not so tiny. But the campaign with this movement points, and slow figures reaction was repelling. After few "quick battles", i buy...

Medieval 1 - campaign map is great. Movement area by area is perfect. building time of 6 turns to upgrade your farm is wearisome. battles with 2d sprites are very readable, but the combat is not so exciting, and the controls are clunky.

==========================

the sad think is, last 2 weeks i was replaying over and over again warcraft1 open source campaigns :/ . This game is dead simple, not sure what i find in it so appealing, graphic? - maybe im dumb.

after weekend with nu-games, i want to play Doom1 again

ferratilis

Magister
Because there are no more CD keys being generated. The only ones remaining are the ones you buy from third parties. It's a bit strange because the game is still available on Xbox, but that's how it is. For whatever reason, the publisher refuses to generate more keys. It's not uncommon with some older games, hell even newer games sometimes run out of keys to sell and they have to pull it from sale until publishers give Valve more.

"oh noes, i totally don't want more money! please don't point those jacksons at me!".

it looks like it's time to have less overbloated with graphics games to spare money on bandwidth.

Codex Year of the Donut
"oh noes, i totally don't want more money! please don't point those jacksons at me!".
going to go out on a limb and guess this is the reason why
There are several jukeboxes in the game which allow the player to choose from a small selection of licensed songs. The full selection of songs is, in the order they are arranged:

"Free Ride" by The Edgar Winter Group;
"Barracuda" by Heart;
"You've Got Another Thing Comin" by Judas Priest;
"Cat Scratch Fever" by Ted Nugent;
"If We Could Be" by Railer;
"Deaf Girlfriend" by Scotch Greens;
"Settle Up" by Seven Mary Three;
"Machine Sex" by Sheep on Drugs;
"Anthem for Tonight" by Halifax;
"Human Resources" by The Countdown;
"Forever Dead" by Soil;
"10001110101" by Clutch;
"The Setting Sun" by MxPx (commissioned specifically for the game)
"(Don't Fear) The Reaper" by Blue Öyster Cult. This song cannot be chosen normally, but plays on the jukebox during the alien invasion in the same level.

why does a science fiction game share the ost with your average gta? why do they keep having time limited licenses for third party songs? gimme back yasunori mitsuda!

m_s0

Arcane
Starcraft 1,2
I kinda like it regardless, but Starcraft 2 is closer to Dragon Ball than it is to a good sf story. Similar thing happened to Warcraft 3 - it's as though someone was giving out free lobotomies at Blizzard in the early 00s, specifically in the writing department. Wing of Liberty is an OK rehash of all the space western tropes you're probably tired of, but the rest goes off the rails with power levels over 9000 and all that idiocy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom