Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Total War: Warhammer 2

Crichton

Prophet
I finally tried out Thorek's vortex campaign and I like it; it's a nice change of pace from the old world and the artifact mechanics miles ahead of the usual vortex bullshit. It's enough fun that I might actually go back and try him in out mortal empires for a little ... Blorc breaking.

Perkel

Arcane
Well installed it. My first total war game since shogun 1.

Fumbled a bit around with dark elves and i have to say i have never seen worse UI. Map clarity is also garbage and you don't know at first glace if something is interactable or not.

Got into fight which said i would easily win with autocombat. I went with manual and i got rolfstomped (my game was on easy) by bunch of skeletons not really knowing what was going on.

I tried to build something but nothing worked.

I am confused completely.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Total War games can be a bit confusing at first, but you quickly get used to them. Warhammer is a bit of the tougher ones to disentangle because it's so bloated, especially when you get to agents, heroes, spellcasters, etc. There are two reasons you might not be able to build something - not enough money or not enough building space. You need to upgrade the main building of a settlement if you want to unlock other building spots.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Fumbled a bit around with dark elves and i have to say i have never seen worse UI. Map clarity is also garbage and you don't know at first glace if something is interactable or not.

Got into fight which said i would easily win with autocombat. I went with manual and i got rolfstomped (my game was on easy) by bunch of skeletons not really knowing what was going on.
Yea, you know, you send an army in, and stuff happens.

How could you lose with Malekith? Anyway, I thought only cities and armies are interactable.

Perkel

Arcane
Well got a hang of it when i switched race to those HRE like humans. Turns out it is pretty much gold + growth with very simple buildings mechanics. Then there are heroes and their armies and quests.

Had huge battle against orcs i think. Just steamrolled them with swordsmen.

I have to say that map, ui and battles themselves could use some kind of art direction that gives you ability to actually see stuff. And what is wrong with camera on map why i can't go isometric or something instead of this retarded close to surface 20% angle view ?

There are also skills and shit but they seems to be pretty much small bonuses only.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
The vast majority of skills and technologies are just number bonuses (which is pretty lame imo, contrast that to Shogun 2 where technologies unlock structures for example). Pump the ones which relate to ranged units and you'll be fine.

contrast that to Shogun 2 where technologies unlock structures for example).

I hate that. The cultural tree is superior in most respects so by the time you've unlocked and built buildings for advanced units you're halfway through the campaign and producing the awesome army you want takes another 20 turns + 10 turns getting them to the front line.

MuckMan

Learned

Generally speaking, ranged units and artillery (well also magic) are king in Warhammer 2 and I bet my ass they still will be in Warhammer 3. So for Dark Elves use Dark Shards with shields, one of the best early game ranged unit there is, I played whole campaings with Dark Shards and reaper bolt thrower as my ranged units and did not even upgrade to Shades. Also a tip for Dark elves -> choose your most profitable Province and only send your slaves there, repeat for other highly profitable provinces at a later stage.

Generally speaking, ranged units and artillery (well also magic) are king in Warhammer 2 and I bet my ass they still will be in Warhammer 3. So for Dark Elves use Dark Shards with shields, one of the best early game ranged unit there is, I played whole campaings with Dark Shards and reaper bolt thrower as my ranged units and did not even upgrade to Shades. Also a tip for Dark elves -> choose your most profitable Province and only send your slaves there, repeat for other highly profitable provinces at a later stage.

Massing slaves in one province is not good until you have the 2nd tier slave building in the capital that reduces slave decline, and ideally you've stacked more -slave decline (leveling the masters heros can give this in the province they are in).

Olinser

Savant

I did the same. Dark Shards are STUPID overpowered - armor piercing missiles with good fire rate? Yes please.

I did the same. Dark Shards are STUPID overpowered - armor piercing missiles with good fire rate? Yes please.

Yeah, the issue most ranged units have is either they are guns and require LoS, they are cheap arrows that won't deal AP damage, or they are high-tier archers that will take 40-80 turns to get. Dark Shards have all three things you need. The only better early game ranged unit IMO is the AP damage archers that wood elves have, who are T2 rather than T1 but have a lot more range. Range is the one thing a little crap about Dark Shards.

Wrapped up a Crooked Moon campaign

7tP3e0i.jpg

Decided to see how far I could take Nasty Skulkers. Turns out forever.

YOswetM.png

These little buggers rape everything if you get a good engagement. +10 bonus vs infantry and +12 melee attack/+40% AP weapon damage means that they effectively have 82 Melee Attack and deal around 50 mostly AP damage.

Throw in a buff like Waaagh (+40 melee attack, +25% damage), Smash 'Em Faster (+24 melee attack AoE), or Ere we Go! (+40 melee attack AoE spell) and suddenly they literally can't miss attacks, and their small size means they can gang up and rape even heavily armored monsters.

They are also stealthy so you can flank and if you deploy smoke bomb (-60% enemy speed) before enemies rout you'll easily kill them within second while they are fleeing.

-40% goblin upkeep is pretty godly since you also get -20% goblin upkeep and -10% global upkeep from tech, -23% upkeep from lord blue line, and Mushroom Addicted heroes can stack -15% each. It's still additive with the +15% upkeep per army but early game your first 2-4 armies can be almost free and it takes until around 8 armies before you have to pay normal upkeep. This also synergizes with how Waaaghs work since every army of yours gets an extra army. Eventually you get -1 global recruitment time and since orcs can encamp with 0% movement left it means you can effectively re-hire as many gobbos as you want anywhere on the map while wasting zero movement sitting around. This makes losing a few not the annoying setback it normally would be, and eventually I could recruit them directly at rank 7-9.

Also enjoyed using heroes a lot. Obviously you want to run the Goblin Shaman as your lord, and I threw a Troll Hag, Orc Shaman, and Black Orc Big Boss in each army while Goblin Big Bosses roams around mercilessly spamming block army movement on everyone I could find for free with around a 90% success rate by the end game. Was really surprised how amazing Black Orc BB was, he's probably the strongest fighting hero in the game on his mount due to exceptional armor, a shield, a relatively small hitbox and great stats/AP/vs. Large. His abilities are also great, I eventually started adding multiples of them to armies and should have done so sooner. Sadly there's no way to have them start at a higher level than 1 but +100% hero XP means all your guys level incredibly quickly.

TEAuR6v.png

Overall a pretty chill game really. Realistically I probably should have hired a few cavalry for chasing down archers and shit but the meme was working so I continued it.

EDIT: Ohh, and a pro-tip for the early game: When you siege those shitty dwarf holds have your non-stealthy units on one side of the map then run your nasty skulkers up the walls on the other side and just rush the capture point which will only be guarded by 1-3 units. Eventually when your skulkers git gud you can just climb the walls and fight them.

Last edited:

Sunri

Liturgist
I'm trying to get my missing achievements and I must day that greensking campaign is quite monotone, nothing like fighting only dwarfs for 150 turns when they confederate all over the world lol

Now i got only Vampires and Norsca to finish any tips for Norsca legendary run? I always get smacked by that dark elf furry.

PEa7KtH.png

MuckMan

Learned
It has been a long time since I played Norsca, but I remember that you should not bother conquering all of Norsca at the start. Play as Wulfrik, consolidate your province and then rush Couronne, after that you have to play by ear i guess, but killing Reikland could be the best move after Couronne. You can easily confederate the faction, that conquers all of norsca, in the mid to late game. And of course using War Mammoth-Doomstacks. I went for Serpent and killed Archaeon and that was way before Rakarth.

Norsca gets an auto-confederation with other Norscans when they beat their leader, like greenskins. This is why generally avoiding fights with other Norscans early works, since they'll actually build up settlements faster than you could and confederation means a full inherit of everything vs. conquering where the settlement goes down a level. But war with at least some of them is probably inevitable so just play it by ear.

I like Ice Trolls, especially with Throgg. The trick to them and other mid-tier low-leadership units is that you need a way to recruit them at rank 7 or higher so that they get a lot more stats and the rank 7 red line bonuses. Norsca is one of the races that can set up a settlement to do this by stacking their +recruit rank buildings and having the recruiting lord with +3 rank blue line ability (swap him in whenever you want to recruit something). With this you should be able to easily defeat any other single army except legendary lords with rank 9 high tier units, which will require a bit more finesse.

Norsca is generally kind of ass and doesn't really scale well, so I'd beeline the campaign objectives if possible. I don't really recall the specifics of which god is best to dedicate all your shit to.

Last edited:

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
Now i got only Vampires and Norsca to finish any tips for Norsca legendary run?

I strongly suggest you plan around the chaos invasion, Norsca can reduce upkeep by 75% (iirc?) if you defeat Archaon which should be one of your campaign objectives. Most races can perfectly ignore those objectives and just wrap them up in order to properly finish the campaign but not Norsca, I suggest you pay attention to that!

In addition, conquering all of Norsca proper is p.easy by just beating and subduing lords but will leave you stretched thin since their economy is shitty, aim to level up Wulfrik. Dark elves will probably be your worst match up for a long time.

Vampire Counts on the other hand are super easy. Once of the easiest faction for Legendary/VH, get free skellies and spam them everywhere, only hire Vampire generals and focus heavily on Winds of magic. They have the most OP lore of magic in SP, as you may know already.

Mazisky

Magister

The most important thing of that mod are not the boobs but the fact it makes the hips\ass rounder.

The vanilla Witch Elves in the game are traumatizing for me because they remind me the first time in my life I failed to have an erection, and it was when I was with a girl that had the same flat unshaped ass which totally did put me off when I discovered it, since it didn't look like that with pants on.

Sunri

Liturgist
I wish all races/nations had some goal similar to Bretonnia to win campaign instead just painting map.

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Slavs in the Attila have very cool multilayered campaign goals. For example they may have to build some top tier religious building which is only possible after obtaining a particular resource. That’s just one of the prerequisites.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom