Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPGs that fell short of greatness and should be remade

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I could have been a contender...

4e83a405c4910f6cb4749a4ca81d4da6.jpg

So I was thinking the other day of RPGs that fell short of being classics or even diamonds in the rough, that could have be successful with a modern remake and some tweaks. I'm not talking about the classics. Games like Ultima 7 or Pool of Radiance or Fallout 1 should not be remade because they are fine the way they are despite their age, and someone trying to remake them would lose the essence of what made those games great. I also wouldn't want someone to remake something that completely failed, because such an overhaul would result in a completely different game. I'll start with some examples and suggested tweaks:

- Battletech: The Crescent Hawk's Inception
-- This game plays well and emulates the 3025 rules of the Battletech tabletop game pretty well. All it needs is a reduction in random encounters and padding from the late-game puzzles. It also needs an increase to the available mechs, and some more and better set encounters to offset the proposed reduction of random encounters. With some other minor tweaks, I could see a remake of this game doing well on the indie market.

- Ultima 8
-- Ok, this one might be a little controversial since many would call this game a complete failure and not worthy of a remake. The biggest problem with Ultima 8 was that it was a mediocre CRPG, but horrible Ultima game. If Origin had just made this a separate story of in the Ultima universe, and got rid of the stupid platform jumping mini-games, then I think this would have been a fine diamond in the rough. This game may have been much better received if it was called something like Ultima Legends: The Blackthorne Banishment, and ended up being a story of what Lord Blackthorne got up to after he was banished from Brittania. It could have built up the lore around the Guardian while not having to involve that Avatar at all. At this point it's too late to remake the game or to redo the lore.

- Stonekeep
-- I tried to like this game, but let's face it... Stonekeep was a failure, but an interesting failure. I could see it remade today as a party-based indie blobber like Legend of Grimrock, or as an action game with RPG elements with a larger budget from a bigger studio. It's a game that keeps coming up in discussions, so there is something charming there, but ultimately it just fails to be engaging.

- Sword of Aragon
-- I have a deep love of this game, but even at the time the game was published the UI was outdated. Also, there seems to be some quests that were never completed or entirely fleshed out. The game is nearly perfect as is, but really could use the benefit of a modern UI upgrade with mouse support, graphical upgrade that depends less on the earth colors on a 16-color palette, and beefing up some of those incomplete quests. Strategy RPG fans are always hungry for more, and a modern indie update of this game would be very successful.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Basically all of the Kickstarter era RPGs, with the possible exception of the Shadowrun trilogy. Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader is another great contender.

Falksi

Arcane
Serpent in The Staglands.

Wonderful intro, delicious vibe, fantastic premise, all dragged down by the fact that the world itself just isn't very interesting and combat is dull.

Humbaba

Arcane
Agreed on Ultima 8. Narratively, that game had great potential but was held back of course by everything else.

Aside from that, honestly I'd say Tyranny. The premise, setting, conquest system and first act are genuinely very good and original but it falls off HARD after that. I also hated how you get railroaded into rebellion no matter what. The ending sucks balls too. If I was to remake it, I would make the plot of act 1 the plot of the entire game, if you know what I mean. I would've much preferred to play the all the way through as a sort of diplomat and mediator and independent fantasy Gestapo officer, instead of only getting to do that for like the first 2 hours and then turning into a run of the mill RPG errand boy protagonist for whichever general you chose to back.

Blutwurstritter

Learned
I wouldn't mind a remaster of Vampire: The Masquerade - Redemption. Its not exactly close to greatness but I think with some updates to the second have of the game and some improvements to combat in general we would have another good vampire themed rpg. I'd definitely pick that over Bloodlines 2, based on what we have seen so far.

Also Arcanum. The combat is terrible. If it was just a little bit entertaining we would have a definite classic.

buffalo bill

Arcane
Fallout 2 minus pop culture references and with harder combat
Arcanum with a good combat system
Pillars of eternity with the same graphics but a completely different game + world + systems

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Arcanum. Make tech more powerful (after all it's winning the clash with magic in this world) and fix the combat. You don't have to change anything else. Maybe just upgrade visuals a bit. And so you get an instant classic.

YldrE

Learned
The remastered Command and Conquer collection made it pretty obvious that many old games are a very modest touch-up away from being palatable to people used to modern QoL and controls, I'd struggle to pick one in particular.

Maybe Wizardry 8 with better encounter design. It's already really good as it is, very modern and user-friendly (much better example of a modern blobber than fetishist Grimrock), and it shines during the few real fights. Fewer trash mobs would go a long way.

Apart from that, now that we have the benefit of insight, experimental games like Temple of Elemental Evil or Arcanum could stand to be remade in something closer to the Infinity Engine.

And of course Arx Fatalis in the Dark Messiah engine.

Camel

Scholar
Most of Obsidian games - KOTOR 2, Alpha Protocol, NWN 2 without the Mask of Betrayer.

Dodo1610

Arcane
The Witcher 2007

do not know why CDPR hasn't already done it but they could simply reuse TW3 assets for a remake. Story and quest design were great and I would love to play it again but I hate the combat.

Divinity 2 Ego Draconis

Fun, unique ARPG but bad tech and the insane amount of cut content held it back.

Last edited:

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
phantom doctrine: you were just player feedback away from greatness but devs knew better and didnt roll with ea

gorasul: forgot to re release

Zeriel

Arcane
You shouldn't want ANYTHING to be remade in 2021. The culture is such that anything that had any relative merit before will have none when remade. Maybe if the culture shifts again in 10-20 years, but right now you should be praying that your favorite gem in the rough doesn't get remade, because it's going to be worse, and there's an endless list of recent examples that prove this.

Forgive me.
Realms of Arkania HD

Okay I changed my mind, I also second this.

Agreed on Ultima 8. Narratively, that game had great potential but was held back of course by everything else.

Aside from that, honestly I'd say Tyranny. The premise, setting, conquest system and first act are genuinely very good and original but it falls off HARD after that. I also hated how you get railroaded into rebellion no matter what. The ending sucks balls too. If I was to remake it, I would make the plot of act 1 the plot of the entire game, if you know what I mean. I would've much preferred to play the all the way through as a sort of diplomat and mediator and independent fantasy Gestapo officer, instead of only getting to do that for like the first 2 hours and then turning into a run of the mill RPG errand boy protagonist for whichever general you chose to back.

If that's your gripe there's literally an entire path where you say fuck you to them all, and I'm not talking about a slight ending change, that path leads through the entire game and changes it. It's kind of the whole point of how the game is designed, too, if you pick the errand boy path and only play once, well, that's on you.

The Witcher 2007

do not know why CDPR hasn't already done it but they could simply reuse TW3 assets for a remake. Story and quest design were great and I would love to play it again but I hate the combat.

Divinity 2 Ego Draconis

Fun ARPG but bad tech and the insane amount of cut content held it back.
There’s no way modern CDProjekt would faithfully implement the murder mystery. Too many soft fail states, the normies would be breaking out the torches and pitchforks.

Falksi

Arcane
The Witcher 2007

Divinity 2 Ego Draconis

Fun ARPG but bad tech and the insane amount of cut content held it back.
There’s no way modern CDProjekt would faithfully implement the murder mystery. Too many soft fail states, the normies would be breaking out the torches and pitchforks.

They could install a "Witcher Senses" button, which does the work for them.

Oh wait. We've already reached that level of retard with 3.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
IWD2
ToEE

Pleez. They're so bad and they're like the best games. It's dumb and needs a fix.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
No more remakes, please no, please, MAKE IT STOP!

I agree with you when it comes to remaking good games, but I do think there is a place in art to remake stuff that failed, but just needed a bit of a change here or there to get it right. No more Matrix or Ghostbuster movies, for instance, but maybe redo Johnny Mnemonic or House of Wax.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Might and Magic 1 and 2: lose the level scaling in both, give more of MM1 monsters special attacks.
Ultima IV: use the combat and encounter system of U5
Wizard's Crown: make it easier too see which way enemies are facing, and introduce a combat log to get more control of who does what to whom.
The Magic Candle: halve amount of encounters and introduce some random loot.
Knights of Legend: introduce encounter design and loot.
Dragon Wars: desperately needs more randomness in loot and encounters. I really can't see myself replaying this one as it is.
Eye of the Beholder: make it turn based.
Disciples of Steel: menu towns.
Gateway to the Savage Frontier: needs enouncter design on par with the rest of the GB games.
Might and Magic 3-5: use MM2 engine.
Darklands: needs unique cities modeled on the real ones, and use a quest log.
Wizardry: Crusaders of the Dark Savant: reduce number of (semi-)random encounters and monster HP in half, more random loot.
TES: Arena: needs directional sound.
Aleshar: World of Ice: make armour pieces break if critically hit instead of every melee fight being potentially game over.
Fallout: use the F2 "engine" for better inventory and companion behaviour.
Arcanum: use combat and encounter system like the IE games.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
There is a 100% chance that an Arcanum remake would fuck up 25 things more important than the combat.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom