Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG.com

SpellSword

Novice
Surprise release
https://af.gog.com/game/eye_divine_cybermancy?as=1649904300
Single Player Edition

The version of the game sold on GOG is a single-player only edition – it means online and LAN modes are not accessible.

This may be of interest, it appears someone named MadGrenadier on the GOG forum has managed to patched LAN back into the GOG release of E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy - Single-Player Edition.

(MadGrenadier wrote: ) https://www.gog.com/forum/eye_divine_cybermancy/not_even_lan/post21
I took some time to edit the resource files to turn the hidden menu options back on.
The entries all still existed in the files, they just either got commented out, or had their visibility changed to hidden.

Here is a github link to get the files, It updates the Secondary Missions button to be create server, with the option to set the gametype to campaign or map selection.

https://github.com/jsuhoversnik/EYE-GoG-Lan-Fixes

To join a server you still need to use the console with 'connect <ip>' but this at least makes creating the lobby much nicer.
Games created with the UI have the maxplayers set to 32, so it also means you don't need to mess with that command.

If anyone gets a chance to try it out let me know if it works fine or if you run into any issues. I'll try to remember to keep checking in for updates.

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
CDKeys has Control Ultimate Edition for sale at 29 cents a piece.

https://www.cdkeys.com/pc/control-ultimate-edition-pc-gog
You know, I wasn't aware of this site so I decided to try it out. You don't need GoG galaxy. I went through the menus easy enough and purchased the game. I should have made an account first but oh well. I have an account now. Waiting to see Cyberpunk on there for a $1.

cheers for the heads up.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
CDKeys has Control Ultimate Edition for sale at 29 cents a piece.

https://www.cdkeys.com/pc/control-ultimate-edition-pc-gog
You know, I wasn't aware of this site so I decided to try it out. You don't need GoG galaxy. I went through the menus easy enough and purchased the game. I should have made an account first but oh well. I have an account now. Waiting to see Cyberpunk on there for a $1.

cheers for the heads up.

I stumbled across them looking for Guild Wars 2 keys. I'm glad that you're liking the site. GOG Galaxy is completely optional which I like as it gives people an option.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
It was definitely a game on my list. Pity some of the other games by that company aren't GoG yet:

Games
Alan Wake: Remastered (2021)
Control: Ultimate Edition - Cloud Version (2020)
Control: Ultimate Edition (2020)
Control (2019)
Control (2019)

Quantum Break (2016)
Quantum Break (2016)
Agents of Storm (2014)
Alan Wake: Collector's Edition Extras (2012)
Alan Wake's American Nightmare (2012)
Alan Wake (2012)
Alan Wake (Collector's Edition) (2012)

Death Rally (2011)
Alan Wake (2010)
Alan Wake (2010)

Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne (2003)
Max Payne (2001)
Death Rally (1996)

Steam is there if I really want them I guess.

axx

Savant

ADL

Prophet
GOG is losing money and refocusing on ‘handpicked selection of games’

CD Projekt says its GOG games storefront will put more focus on offering “a handpicked selection of games” and transfer some developers to other projects, following ongoing financial losses at the division.

“Regarding GOG, its performance does present a challenge, and recently we’ve taken measures to improve its financial standing,” CD Projekt CFO Piotr Nielubowicz told investors on a quarterly earnings call. “First and foremost, we’ve decided that GOG should focus more on its core business activity, which means offering a handpicked selection of games with its unique DRM-free philosophy. In line with this approach, there will be changes in the team structure.”

Nielubowicz said that some developers who’d been working on GOG’s online solutions will be transferred from the project. At the end of 2021, GOG is also leaving the Gwent consortium, a cross-division project related to CD Projekt’s The Witcher card game Gwent. This means it won’t bear any development costs or share any profits from the development consortium. CD Projekt previously called Gwent “the most important project of 2017 in the GOG.com segment.”

These latest statements came after disappointing financial results for GOG. The storefront saw a slight increase in revenue but a net loss of around $1.14 million in the last financial quarter. Overall, it’s lost about $2.21 million over the past three quarters compared to a $1.37 million profit over the same period in 2020. CD Projekt didn’t immediately reply to questions about how its new strategy might translate into changes to GOG’s features or catalog.

https://archive.md/pPMTB

Haven't bought anything on GOG since the Hitman 2016 debacle and between their handling of the Hitman/Devotion releases, the Galaxy 2.0 client, the entire subject of Linux support and constant losses, I'm not sure if I'm ever gonna go back. The Galaxy client particularly has been a disaster and remains on my system solely as a background service for http://playnite.link to open and close as needed because it's still crashing constantly a year and a half later.

Hopefully this is just a short-term problem and they're committed to GOG no matter how much of a loss it is but that only works in a public company when your investors are happy with you. Another release or two like Cyberpunk's could kill GOG for good.

Last edited by a moderator:

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Hand picked selection my ass.
back to games porting. It can mean only 1 thing
gorasul-the-legacy-of-the-dragon-7.webp

Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
GOG is losing money and refocusing on ‘handpicked selection of games

Brace yourselves for avalanche of visual novels and incloosive LGBT-dating sims...

And yes, I agree that gog's "handpicked" approach has contributed a great deal to its own insignificance. I remember one time a jilted dev posted gog's rejection letter and it basically said that if his game sells well on Steam, they might reconsider. I mean... how boneheaded do you have to be? They turned down (or flat out ignored) so much good stuff and when they eventually smarten up, everyone who really wants the game already has it somewhere else and the only reason anyone would get it on gog would be out of brand loyalty (and gog has been doing a bang-up job driving away the few remaining loyalists by gradually chipping away at everything that once made them better than the other stores - culminating in the embarrassing DRMed Hitman release earlier this year). Add to this incidents like Devotion or Hatred, where they very publically chickened out of releasing controversial games that could have become bestsellers. Another example of gog's decline: Their customer service used to be second to none. Ever since Cyberpunk happened, it has been abysmal. When I last sent in a refund request, I didn't get an answer for over two weeks and only got it sorted out after bitching about it on the forum (support staff also have to do janitorial duties, so threads critical of support have a tendency to get locked rather quickly). Just this week they made support even worse by introducing a chatbot that does little else but put additional barriers between you and getting a support ticket.

There's so much they could focus on to improve things. But gog being gog, they instead decided to double down on their own stupidity.

Gargaune

Magister
The Galaxy client particularly has been a disaster and remains on my system solely as a background service for http://playnite.link to open and close as needed because it's still crashing constantly a year and a half later.
Why the fuck would you be using Galaxy to begin with? GOG's whole selling point was a simple, no-bullshit videogame distribution platform - no local client, no DRM, no auto/mandatory patches, you buy and then actually own a copy of your game. If you want Steam, just use Steam and put up with the consequences. CD Projekt should've never gone down the Galaxy rabbit hole.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Wow, how do they manage to spend so much money on this service?

Rewriting a client nobody even asked for the first place is definitely extremely suspect, do they have any other big money sinks I wonder.

Boleskine

Arcane
GOG is losing money and refocusing on ‘handpicked selection of games

Brace yourselves for avalanche of visual novels and incloosive LGBT-dating sims...

And yes, I agree that gog's "handpicked" approach has contributed a great deal to its own insignificance. I remember one time a jilted dev posted gog's rejection letter and it basically said that if his game sells well on Steam, they might reconsider. I mean... how boneheaded do you have to be? They turned down (or flat out ignored) so much good stuff and when they eventually smarten up, everyone who really wants the game already has it somewhere else and the only reason anyone would get it on gog would be out of brand loyalty (and gog has been doing a bang-up job driving away the few remaining loyalists by gradually chipping away at everything that once made them better than the other stores - culminating in the embarrassing DRMed Hitman release earlier this year). Add to this incidents like Devotion or Hatred, where they very publically chickened out of releasing controversial games that could have become bestsellers. Another example of gog's decline: Their customer service used to be second to none. Ever since Cyberpunk happened, it has been abysmal. When I last sent in a refund request, I didn't get an answer for over two weeks and only got it sorted out after bitching about it on the forum (support staff also have to do janitorial duties, so threads critical of support have a tendency to get locked rather quickly). Just this week they made support even worse by introducing a chatbot that does little else but put additional barriers between you and getting a support ticket.

There's so much they could focus on to improve things. But gog being gog, they instead decided to double down on their own stupidity.

That's the story of their decline in a nutshell. They've pissed off too many of their longtime customers with all their boneheaded PR blunders. Now they're just another disposable would-be Steam competitor. Nobody cares about DRM-free anymore. Aside from the occasional rare classic release like LoK: Blood Omen, GOG has absolutely nothing to which they can point and say, "We do it better than the other guys." They do just about everything worse and they are an afterthought for developers, some of whom in the past have neglected to even update their game's GOG build when they updated their Steam build.

I guess it's time to buy some high capacity drives and start backing up those GOG purchases...

catfood

AGAIN
For claiming to have put so much time and money into Galaxy this client sure does suck. You can't even sort by purchase date or be able to manually place games on the shelf anymore like you used to in the web browser LOL. And it's been how long since they released it? 3 years? 4 years? What a useless program.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
I know I'm in minority, but imo the biggest disappointment about galaxy is that it looks and works like crap in lower res when gog releases are my primary source of old school gaming. Ok, it actually doesn't look good in any res, but what I mean is that UI elements overlap etc. Steam is not oldfag focused at all, yet it looks and works perfectly in 1024x768, for example.

Curratum

I know I'm in minority, but imo the biggest disappointment about galaxy is that it looks and works like crap in lower res when gog releases are my primary source of old school gaming. Ok, it actually doesn't look good in any res, but what I mean is that UI elements overlap etc. Steam is not oldfag focused at all, yet it looks and works perfectly in 1024x768, for example.

Why the fuck are you on a 1024 x 760 monitor, you irreparable autist?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom