Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Scam Citizen - Only people with too much money can become StarCitizens! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

Myobi

Liturgist
I can't wait in the future when we could say that Star Citizen was funded with half a billion of dollars :)

... and still not even halfway through development!

zapotec

Liturgist
I saved this on 14 January 2021:
jtIwsTI.jpg

So in a year they got +411,394 people for a total of around 18 millions dollar, that means most of the income is really from the JPEG :shredder:

Perkel

Arcane
Turns out game is heavily limited by CPU power (guy has 3080) due to DX11. The worst case scenario in city. If rich and have something like 3080 probably with new intel cpu it will be possible to hit nearly 60fps and with DDR5 it should be possible to hit 60fps in worst case scenarios.

Also it can warry. Shitty servers = low framerate.

unknown.png

Ram speed and its effect on framerate (with 5600x and 3080):

unknown.png

16GB vs 32GB ram. switching to 32GB it also gives small boost to framerate but true advantage lies in that game no longer swaps memory with pagefile. Game currently is about 22GB big when you play it and with 16GB you get hitching when you Quantum travel, log in and travel because you are out of memory and nukes old memory giving space to new stuff you need on screen causing hitch.

unknown.png

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
And good servers give you glorious 43 fps,amazing !

Actually good server can give you on even worse hardware much more. I once had a luck and got completely fresh server with like 4 people on it. In space i got 90fps on my ryzen3600, GTX1080, 16GB 2400mhz ram in space station 65fps while in loville around 50ish. You can also see that when you load up single player Arena Commander which gives me around 100fps in space despite showing nice map.

From what i see the issue is mainly with DX11. They are working on Vulcan but it is still not done (eta is q2 2022)

There is a reason why modern games move away from it to DX12 or Vulcan. Because there is something called "draw call". Basically your CPU tells GPU what to draw and DX11 draw calls (and pretty much most of API) are handled by main thread of DX11 which heavily relies on single core performance IPC.

So basically when you have an object to draw on screen with GPU you send draw call to GPU from CPU main DX11 thread. In older games it ws basically 1 draw call per object. But modern games introduced something called shaders and all of those shaders get their own calls. So one object instead of 1 draw call now does 10-20-50-100 calls depending on how many shader "layers" are there on that object. I saw modern games go up to 70 draw calls per single object. So if you do some quick math you see exponential factor with every new layer on object. There are trick to it like grouping object and sending them as one object but that works only on static object that can't be interacted (don't move or change state).

Dx12 or Vulcan are multithreaded and can handle buttloads more drawcalls to hit their limits on modern gpus you would have to draw literally millions of objects or 100s of thousands very detailed ones compared to measly 100s of detailed object in DX11 game. And the more cores and faster cpu is the more it can handle (until your GPU cries and stops).

That is why DX12 and Vulcan are gamechangers for slow CPUs because outside of draw calls there is actually other stuff to calculate in game and mostly that stuff is done on main single thread of game like game simulation, damage done by your armies and so on.

In case of MMO games game has to stream in non stop data around player about positions of other players, objects and so on and that needs to be calculated locally thus in general all games with a lot of players require good CPU to get very good frametimes on other hand open world games require better cpus because there are usually a lot more objects in horizon that can't be drawn with one draw call as those object will be seen closer and has to change LOD dynamically.

Now get MMO and open world and you have the worst case for CPU. And now get Star Citizen which is pretty revolutionary when it comes to shaders as pretty much every detail you see on armor or whatever is its own shader. Rivets in ship ? All individual shaders instead of shader map like in other games thus rivets x draw calls. Single ship instead of 1 like in old games, 50-70 like in modern games is probably going for 500-3000 draw calls and the bigger the ship the more draw calls. Same with characters cities and so on.

This is why buying 3080 will not get you better performance than say 2060. Because DX11 basically is brought to its limit with SC and only fast single threaded improvements in CPU space could push DX11 further. Until Vulcan arrives basically CPU is the limiter even if it shows 50% of use.

Perkel

Arcane
Here is video showing limits of DX11 vs DX12 when it comes to draw calls and that is on 780ti with FX8320 old cpu and old gpu.

Last edited:

Myobi

Liturgist
Wait, hang on... the quality of the server effects the FPS? wtf?

Also, 30 FPS looking at a fucking wall... imagine when the sugoi jesus tech is complete (LOL!) and you have hundreds of players and their spaceships on your screen :D

Also, 30 FPS looking at a fucking wall... imagine when the sugoi jesus tech is complete (LOL!) and you have hundreds of players and their spaceships on your screen :D
Luckily, that will never be a problem star citizen has to solve. Because they can't get more than 16 players in an instance.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot

That happens with the Arma games too, not sure what the deal is technically.

Myobi

Liturgist
yi4lyabu0i181.png

Le kek baguette.

8uw4halq0e181.jpg

kebpcsdfje181.jpg

SC Refunds reddit is a fucking gold mine. Dear fucking lord...

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
I still don't understand how can someone spend $1000+ on some jpegs. There are even people who spent more than 35k. I guess poorfags like us won't understand richascender thinking.

What is weirder is that some of those high tier guys sold their accounts for MORE money than they bought stuff and there is actual SC blackmarket with such accounts.

Perkel

Arcane
nvidia introduced adjustable shader cache size in lastest drivers. 3D settings > global > shader cache size By default drivers set this to 1GB or 512MB depending on GPU. Now you can set it up to up to unlimited (which i advise not to pick).

Suprisingly the first game that people confirmed it changes thing is Star Citizen and i confirmed it myself.

If you set up 10GB shader cache you increase FPS by about 20-30% sometimes even double in some scenarios. Apparently Star Citizen alone uses more than 1GB shader cache default drivers create and that 1GB is supposed to be shared among few games overwriting oldest shaders if it runs out of memory.

The other improvement of that is that it reduces a lot stutter on stations and cities.

Codex Year of the Donut
nvidia introduced adjustable shader cache size in lastest drivers. 3D settings > global > shader cache size By default drivers set this to 1GB or 512MB depending on GPU. Now you can set it up to up to unlimited (which i advise not to pick).

Suprisingly the first game that people confirmed it changes thing is Star Citizen and i confirmed it myself.

If you set up 10GB shader cache you increase FPS by about 20-30% sometimes even double in some scenarios. Apparently Star Citizen alone uses more than 1GB shader cache default drivers create and that 1GB is supposed to be shared among few games overwriting oldest shaders if it runs out of memory.

The other improvement of that is that it reduces a lot stutter on stations and cities.
Windows gets a feature their Linux driver has had for over a decade.

Do you think this is a matter of poor optimization, or are they just trying to draw too much stuff?

Also, wouldn't there be some point where you've increased the size of the shader cache so much that you increase the time it takes to find the cached shader, sort of defeating the purpose of the whole thing?

Perkel

Arcane
Do you think this is a matter of poor optimization, or are they just trying to draw too much stuff?

Also, wouldn't there be some point where you've increased the size of the shader cache so much that you increase the time it takes to find the cached shader, sort of defeating the purpose of the whole thing?

SC is obscene when it comes to shaders. Pretty much every detail you see is not texture but shader. lugnuts on ship ? shader, indentations in ship hull ? shader. Lether like material on some space suit ? shader. Digital Foundry did take on it with one of CIG devs and they have shown how pretty much every detailed geometry is shader.

So no wonder 1GB is not enough.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom