Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG.com

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
How about we make a deal: you will go be a bothersome retard somewhere else and I won't.

Curratum

How about we make a deal: you will go be a bothersome retard somewhere else and I won't.

Are you one of those people who plays retro games on retro hardware for "immersion"? :lol:

I am genuinely interested to know why you use a 1024 x 768 monitor today. Surely, you have to be able to afford another one, given you have an active internet connection. So is that it, is it because "old games look best on old CRT"?

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Dude, it was a good deal, particularly for someone with your iq.

Yes, there are people who have space and income allowing for different gaming setups, some people even have a shower and a bathtub at their home at the same time and more than one bed in extreme cases. It's all very difficult to imagine for you, as per usual, yet it's true.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Why the fuck are you on a 1024 x 760 monitor, you irreparable autist?

1920x1080 and 1366x768 are by long far the two most used resolution worldwide with the latter having an ~25% usage according to firefox hardware statistics and you'd find similar results in other non-gaming oriented statistics but even with gaming in mind it is the third most common resolution at ~7% (with 2560x1440 being second at ~8% and 1920x1080 being first at 66%).

So 1024x768 isn't really that far fetched - actually Firefox hardware stats puts it at ~2.6% and Steam at 0.68%.

Curratum

Why the fuck are you on a 1024 x 760 monitor, you irreparable autist?

1920x1080 and 1366x768 are by long far the two most used resolution worldwide with the latter having an ~25% usage according to firefox hardware statistics and you'd find similar results in other non-gaming oriented statistics but even with gaming in mind it is the third most common resolution at ~7% (with 2560x1440 being second at ~8% and 1920x1080 being first at 66%).

So 1024x768 isn't really that far fetched - actually Firefox hardware stats puts it at ~2.6% and Steam at 0.68%.

Doesn't 2% align pretty well with the average percentage of autistic population anyway? :D

Come on, Bad Sector, you're better than that. Your statistics are pointless in comparing 4:3 1024 to 1920 and 1366 as they're both widescreen resolutions - something that has been around and universally used for a decade and a half, at least.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think the fuss over which games GOG does or doesn't carry is an overblown issue. Most high quality games do make it to GOG if they want to. CD Projekt just overspent on the platform trying to compete against Steam with Galaxy and stuff. Hope JudasIscariot gets to keep his job.

Last edited:

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Doesn't 2% align pretty well with the average percentage of autistic population anyway? :D

Come on, Bad Sector, you're better than that. Your statistics are pointless in comparing 4:3 1024 to 1920 and 1366 as they're both widescreen resolutions - something that has been around and universally used for a decade and a half, at least.
You should defo call the ministry of health or whatever you have in your country and tell them to include owning more than one computer screen as an important diagnostic criteria when screening for autism. Many such cases.

I'm sure they'll value your input as much as everyone else does.

Codex Year of the Donut
Most high quality games do make it to GOG.
Only if they're from big name studios to begin with.
Indie hits only get to GOG after they've already sold a billion copies on Steam.

GOG sees zero benefit from its walled garden approach. They should be taking a hands-off approach merely checking to see if the game is DRM-free.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Indie hits only get to GOG after they've already sold a billion copies on Steam.

GOG sees zero benefit from its walled garden approach. They should be taking a hands-off approach merely checking to see if the game is DRM-free.

People frequently complain about the flood of shovelware on Steam. I mean, there are plenty of "visual novel dating sims" on Steam that don't make it to GOG. Maybe those people are full of shit and don't really know what they want. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Codex Year of the Donut

People frequently complain about the flood of shovelware on Steam. I mean, there are plenty of "visual novel dating sims" on Steam that don't make it to GOG. Maybe those people are full of shit and don't really know what they want. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
not my fault they're too stupid to know how to put the visual novel tag on ignore

Azdul

Magister
single client to aggregate other clients isnt bad
Clients are bad.
Clients are major annoyance when running classic games - they are useful only for new games when new patch is released every other day.

Steam actively tries to break my games by removing 'Large Address Aware' flags from executables, break script extenders, remove parts of the soundtrack etc. I had to keep it permanently in 'offline' mode - because that's the only way to get back the feature of disabling game updates - which Valve took away.

The biggest advantage of GOG Galaxy is that it is not required to run games.

Ravielsk

Magister
GOG is losing money and refocusing on ‘handpicked selection of games
GoG's biggest problem is that they are just not competitive in any way that matters. When they started out every game came with a bunch of extras by default(soundtrack, artwork, avatar etc.) but so even if the DRMfree angle did not matter to you it was still a more complete version of the game than any other out there. However modern releases usually have nothing and those extras are being sold separately as a "deluxe edition upgrade" which usually is not worth it if it costs even a single dollar. Their pricing also has this problem where they are still more expensive than steam despite technically doing less. Simply put I am not rebuying Demonicon for 10 bucks when I bought it on steam for one dollar 4 year ago. And this goes for most of their releases, Kingdom under Fire is cool but I am not paying 20 for a 16 year old Xbox port.

The only way their current approach could work would be if their curated selection of games was not available everywhere else or was at least somehow significantly distinctive from all the other versions out there. Like with the whole Hitman fiasco, if they at least provided a save with everything unlocked to at least make the DRM-free claim somewhat true. Funny thing it that this is exactly how they started. When GoG was new they were the only place where you could buy Gothic or Arx Fatalis or Silver and have it run out of the box. I would like them to go down that route but... well lets just wait and see.

Azdul

Magister
When GoG was new they were the only place where you could buy Gothic or Arx Fatalis or Silver and have it run out of the box.
In the beginning they had no competition and were riding on the strength of CD Projekt releases and carefully repackaged classic games. They had much smaller revenue - but much higher profits.

Then they've decided to copy Steam.

So publishers saw what's going on and decided that they will do three releases on three 'Steams': first, broken beta will be released on Epic's 'Steam' because Tencent pays for exclusivity. Then - there will be second release on Valve's Steam - while publisher will pay for Denuvo subscription for few months. Once the game stops selling - publisher will stop paying for Denuvo - and sometimes prepare final version with removed DRM - which will be sold also on CD-Projekt 'Steam' - GOG.

As expected - selling the same game few months after EGS and Steam is not especially profitable.

ADL

Prophet
Why the fuck would you be using Galaxy to begin with? GOG's whole selling point was a simple, no-bullshit videogame distribution platform - no local client, no DRM, no auto/mandatory patches, you buy and then actually own a copy of your game. If you want Steam, just use Steam and put up with the consequences. CD Projekt should've never gone down the Galaxy rabbit hole.
DRM-free Steam with a better refund policy, offline installers for backups and being able to revert to previous versions of software is enough of a selling point to use it. It just sucks that it crashes constantly and needs to reload my library every time I restart my system.

Don't think it'd be particularly enjoyable to use offline installers for GOG to manage installs and patches like it's 1995. It's one thing to use them for archival but why use it when GOG is still up and running? Avoiding Galaxy sounds like a good way to forget about what you own too.

Gargaune

Magister
Don't think it'd be particularly enjoyable to use offline installers for GOG to manage installs and patches like it's 1995. It's one thing to use them for archival but why use it when GOG is still up and running?
See, this is why I get pissed off at contemporary values. What's "enjoyable" about using Steam? What's wrong with manually installing games "like it's 1995?" I've been getting most of my games as offline GOG packages for years and somehow I haven't gotten RSI from the clicks.

Interfaces should be practical and reliable, not entertainment experiences in and of themselves. You're surrendering more and more control over your assets and activities for the sake of "streamlining" processes which were never really inconvenient to begin with. It's like keyless fucking cars - oh, wow, you don't have to reach into your pocket to unlock your boot, such progress, you start your engine with a button, much woOo0oo! Meanwhile someone can hop into your ride and drive off while you're feeding the parking metre, good deal.

Avoiding Galaxy sounds like a good way to forget about what you own too.
Is that an actual problem you encounter? I mean, GOG has a library webpage where you can see all your products, same as Steam's UI, it's not like it's a chore to get to. And I dunno, usually when I buy a game I intend to play it in the relatively near future.

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
Steam is, just like everything else that is popular these days, a way to enable dumb people to stay dumb and still participate in the contemporary economy as a consumer.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Gotta agree on GOGs laziness in completing the sofware package with manuals, and extras the box came with. Wallpapers, avatars, OST seems to be an increasing mega-bundle release tactic. If steam suddenly had a DRM without downloading STEAM gog would be in even more hurt.

STEAM & 3rd party login to play certain games is annoying. At least it isn't EPIC Games. I only add free games to a library I have no clue what's in it because I won't DL their client. "Ah a FREE GAME! Click. Ok, I'll never see that again. Next." Clicking for that dopamine rush.

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
GOG is fucking hopeless.

I haven't told this to anyone yet. I was going to keep it to myself but after the news that GOG is getting "reorganized", I might as well.

One of the things that frustrates me the most about GOG is how poorly the search system works on their website. Not only you cannot search for anything other than the game name, but the sorting options were for a long time all broken because the info in the game pages was either incomplete or just plain wrong.

It pisses me off that they would be so retarded to the point of not even implementing correctly something so fundamental for people to buy products on their store.

So I opened a support ticket pointing out that the game pages do not correctly reflect the games and that, for example, games which got controller support added after being released on the store did not get their page updated to reflect this. And since people often hear that GOG versions are incomplete or in some way worse than Steam, it would be in their best interest to at least update the game descriptions and features to reflect the Steam page.

Here's a snippet of that message, so you all can rejoice at how much of a maniac I am.

When people ask about GOG they often hear some games here aren't up to date with the Steam version, or that updates are slower, or that there are different versions for GOG.

So, someone lands on a game page and notices the game isn't marked for controller support, despite having controller support on Steam.

What are they going to think? That GOG has a different version of the game, maybe? Or should they just assume GOG doesn't correctly tag their games? Let's be clear, neither is a good alternative.

It's not tremendous work to go through every game page and check for errors. Even if done at a glacially slow pace by a single person, it wouldn't take more than a couple of months.

Stuff like this literally takes sales away from GOG.

Well, the reply I got from some fellow there basically told me that Steam is better. I'm not fucking kidding. The GOG employee informed me that Steam works better, has more features and GOG is the way it is and I should please understand.

Here, read it yourselves.

I understand your concern, however please keep in mind that Steam has different functionalities and solutions comparing to GOG.
When controller support is not tagged on GOG, it means that we tested the game and confirmed that it is not fully compatible with controllers or not compatible with them at all.
Steam client, on the contrary, has a dedicated functionality that helps using controllers with almost every game even if a game does not support controllers out of the box.

Please keep in mind that we do our best to bring more useful functionalities for GOG users, however the development of any similar features requires development time and resources.

That being said, I thank you for your feedback and hope for your understanding.

I was not satisfied by this reply at all. So I spelled it out for him.

I get what you said about the Steam client, but you guys should be aware that some games which didn't get released with controller support but were updated later to enable it still don't have the controller tag.

Long story short, he asked me to name a game. I said the first Banner Saga.

And here's the craziest part of this whole exchange. Here's what he replied on September the 16th.

We double-checked the specified game and it turned out that it indeed does have a controller support now. An appropriate feature has been added to the game's page.

If you have a list of other similar games, please feel free to share it with us.

If you have a list of other similar games, please feel free to share it with us!!!??? Are you fucking for real??? So the customer is supposed to work for them now?

I didn't even respond to that, but what would have said is that what I get paid by the hour is more than what he makes and if they were to pay me my regular fucking fees to do their shitty job for them they'd go bankrupt even faster than they are going to at the current pace.

Mutherfuckers.

catfood

AGAIN
GOG is fucking hopeless.

I haven't told this to anyone yet. I was going to keep it to myself but after the news that GOG is getting "reorganized", I might as well.

One of the things that frustrates me the most about GOG is how poorly the search system works on their website. Not only you cannot search for anything other than the game name, but the sorting options were for a long time all broken because the info in the game pages was either incomplete or just plain wrong.

It pisses me off that they would be so retarded to the point of not even implementing correctly something so fundamental for people to buy products on their store.

So I opened a support ticket pointing out that the game pages do not correctly reflect the games and that, for example, games which got controller support added after being released on the store did not get their page updated to reflect this. And since people often hear that GOG versions are incomplete or in some way worse than Steam, it would be in their best interest to at least update the game descriptions and features to reflect the Steam page.

Here's a snippet of that message, so you all can rejoice at how much of a maniac I am.

When people ask about GOG they often hear some games here aren't up to date with the Steam version, or that updates are slower, or that there are different versions for GOG.

So, someone lands on a game page and notices the game isn't marked for controller support, despite having controller support on Steam.

What are they going to think? That GOG has a different version of the game, maybe? Or should they just assume GOG doesn't correctly tag their games? Let's be clear, neither is a good alternative.

It's not tremendous work to go through every game page and check for errors. Even if done at a glacially slow pace by a single person, it wouldn't take more than a couple of months.

Stuff like this literally takes sales away from GOG.

Well, the reply I got from some fellow there basically told me that Steam is better. I'm not fucking kidding. The GOG employee informed me that Steam works better, has more features and GOG is the way it is and I should please understand.

Here, read it yourselves.

I understand your concern, however please keep in mind that Steam has different functionalities and solutions comparing to GOG.
When controller support is not tagged on GOG, it means that we tested the game and confirmed that it is not fully compatible with controllers or not compatible with them at all.
Steam client, on the contrary, has a dedicated functionality that helps using controllers with almost every game even if a game does not support controllers out of the box.

Please keep in mind that we do our best to bring more useful functionalities for GOG users, however the development of any similar features requires development time and resources.

That being said, I thank you for your feedback and hope for your understanding.

I was not satisfied by this reply at all. So I spelled it out for him.

I get what you said about the Steam client, but you guys should be aware that some games which didn't get released with controller support but were updated later to enable it still don't have the controller tag.

Long story short, he asked me to name a game. I said the first Banner Saga.

And here's the craziest part of this whole exchange. Here's what he replied on September the 16th.

We double-checked the specified game and it turned out that it indeed does have a controller support now. An appropriate feature has been added to the game's page.

If you have a list of other similar games, please feel free to share it with us.

If you have a list of other similar games, please feel free to share it with us!!!??? Are you fucking for real??? So the customer is supposed to work for them now?

I didn't even respond to that, but what would have said is that what I get paid by the hour is more than what he makes and if they were to pay me my regular fucking fees to do their shitty job for them they'd go bankrupt even faster than they are going to at the current pace.

Mutherfuckers.
I don't understand why it's so hard to hire a couple of sperglords with severe OCD that can take care of these things.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom