Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why set a game in Boston?

Stella Brando

Arcane
It seems like kind of a pointless location, like New York except colder. There was a tea party and then some battles with the British and they don't say hard R's (but neither do a lot of places, the world isn't America) and then Bill Burr and Conan (the talk show host, not the barbarian) were born. It's meant to be quite Irish (hence Conan O'Brien), but I'm not sure if it's Irish by Irish standards or just Irish by American standards.

It's a city non-Americans have heard of, but don't really know anything about. Why set a game here, exactly? I'm looking at you, Fallout 4 (and also Assassin's Creed III).

Apologies to any Codex Bostonians.

Codex Year of the Donut
same reason libtard devs started setting their games in seattle and other places: libtards moved there after destroying the cities games used to be set in

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Why set a game in Boston?

a.
rating_shittydog.gif
Bad taste
b.
edgy.png
Masochism
c.
rating_negativeman.png
Existential despair
d. :MAll of the above

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think Bethesda have a bit of an East Coast gamedev pride thing where they like setting their games there to show up all the Californians.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
Why not? Boston has a reputation for being an interesting place. Fallout 4's world design is much better than Fallout 3's at least. Such a dull setting.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
It seems like kind of a pointless location, like New York except colder. There was a tea party and then some battles with the British and they don't say hard R's (but neither do a lot of places, the world isn't America) and then Bill Burr and Conan (the talk show host, not the barbarian) were born. It's meant to be quite Irish (hence Conan O'Brien), but I'm not sure if it's Irish by Irish standards or just Irish by American standards.

It's a city non-Americans have heard of, but don't really know anything about. Why set a game here, exactly? I'm looking at you, Fallout 4 (and also Assassin's Creed III).

Apologies to any Codex Bostonians.

You forgot Defenders of Boston!

https://www.mobygames.com/game/defender-of-boston-the-rock-island-mystery

Codex Year of the Donut
Bethesda's interpretation has always had a more Americana focus so it's not really all that surprising that they'd prefer the east coast tbh.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I think Bethesda have a bit of an East Coast gamedev pride thing where they like setting their games there to show up all the Californians.

Which makes it that much more hilarious when they make the game world look like the Mojave Desert. Apparently none of them go outdoors very often.

Hace El Oso

Arcane
Patron
Which makes it that much more hilarious when they make the game world look like the Mojave Desert. Apparently none of them go outdoors very often.

A common problem with these people. They should make games set in offices if they hate the outdoors so much.

Stella Brando

Arcane
I was walking my dog in a parking basement once and it suddenly occurred to me how big the buildings in video games are -- some characters seem to walk around inside for about 24 hours, without ever going outside.
Who builds all this stuff?
thinking.png

somewhatgiggly

Scholar
Why set a game anywhere?

Boston is still a big city with important historical ties to the rest of the nation. It's just as good as Chicago, Austin, New Orleans, Orlando, Atlanta, etc.

There's the MIT, which was already the Institute by 3. It survived the war and was a scientific force. Then they just followed that up (terribly) in 4. Hell, that's probably it. Someone ran with the Synth storyline and thus we had to go where the Synths were.

4 is just Synths Synths Synths Synths. No one mused much on if a single damn sidequest in 4 was good enough to make a whole game about, but I guess it was. Then they shoved Synths fucking everywhere, like in Far Harbor.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Boston is in Massachusetts, and thus quite close to Arkham, Dunwich, Innsmouth and so on. So in terms of geography, there's potential for a good game to take place.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom