Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wartales - turn-based mercenary band RPG by Northgard developer - now with Pirates of Belerion expansion

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1527950/view/2952660987410916296

Wartales Q&A #8: The World of Wartales
a0c1367ecfd66621174e9e0f51079fc1c1a5f68a.png

Attention Mercenaries!

Welcome to this weeks Wartales Q&A!

Today, we talk about the World of Wartales and the inspirations behind it. We take a look at the different ways of navigating it, how it will grow and evolve over early access and some of the more interesting sights and scenes you can expect to come accross in your travels...

Read on to find out more!

How many regions are there in Wartales and how do they differ from one another?

First of all, I want to make it clear that the number of explorable regions at the release of the EA will be different than at the final release. It is therefore expected that we will release a good number of regions during the EA. We want to take the time to work on our regions properly, whether it's the narrative, visual or gameplay aspects. In this sense, we have set a rule for ourselves and we are committed to it: each region must offer a different gameplay experience. If by adding a new region, we change nothing except the location of places to discover, then we will not validate such a region. Regarding the average size of a region, the size of the demo is an medium size and we plan to develop between 20 and 30 regions, each with its own scenario, its own game rules, its own unique missions, its own local specialities, its own geology and all its own specificities.

What are the inspirations for the environment ?

We really enjoyed working on the environment. Nature, both splendid and terrifying, dominates the vast expanses where only the brave dare to venture. The inhabitants of these lands are hardened by the climatic conditions and the many dangers that threaten them every day, whether supernatural or not. In general, the environments of Wartales are very much inspired by Scotland and the north of England. There are snow-capped mountains and windswept moors as well as vast oceans with dark, turbulent waters. Nature inspires a sense of wonder and danger to enhance the sense of adventure. The colours and atmosphere can change dramatically depending on the time of day and the vagaries of the weather.

eab608347f4ed4f4b5ad50bff1de74c42e59249d.jpg

The architecture is influenced by different eras, such as the Middle Ages. One can feel that Romanesque architecture is still very much present, especially in the temples and in the use of Roman tiles for the most important buildings. The rest of the dwellings are more rudimentary with low stone buildings with wooden or thatched roofs. In general, the architecture reflects a decline and a period when important knowledge was lost. The fauna is semi-realistic and the classic bestiary of the European countryside, coasts, forests and mountains contrasts with the rare fantasy elements of the game which I am sure you will enjoy discovering and fighting!

9f49bf9aa34b9187b757a143cfb8186d4be43c9e.jpg

Are there ways to travel between regions other than walking?

Of course! On the back of a dragon. More seriously, we're planning different ways to move around the map quickly. If you've paid your way into the counter of two different villages, you can take the common road and travel by carriage between the two very quickly. Also, if you find the entrance to a mountainous gallery, you can enter it and try to find an exit on the other side (which will sometimes be in another region!). Once you have done this, you can now go through the gallery very quickly to travel between the linked regions.

48cc96d5c9f8c662f8f4fcb87e07f0bf8d20379e.jpg

We also have a climbing system that allows you to place ropes at the top of cliffs that will allow you to climb down certain cliffs. By doing so, you can access certain hidden locations, reach a related region or simply create your own shortcuts in the world! We felt it was important to let the player take control of their appropriation of the world. Finally, in a yet undefined future, you can hope to sail the icy waters of Wartales...

Will there be hidden locations to discover?

Of course. Exploration is one of the main features of Wartales. What would an exploration game be without hidden locations? I won't talk too much about it of course so as not to spoil it, but you should know that there are different types of hidden locations. Some are only accessible via certain game mechanics. For the others... you'll have to look harder. Or turn your camera!

ca21990a70008c6cc689fa6d40606409f2af2eda.jpg

What are some of the interesting things I could find around the map?

The world you live in is alive and organic: wild animals roam the forests, bandits wait in abandoned watchtowers, the Guard hunts down thieves and the Ghost Pack attacks remote villages. It is also vast, with some twenty regions shared by the major forces. In this context, you play as a neutral group, free to act and do as you wish (while obviously assuming the consequences of your actions). In short, you lead an itinerant band of adventurers who are not tied to any one place and are eager for adventure and combat. However, going on an adventure for several days in the wilderness requires careful preparation. Indeed, the game is designed to require adaptability and real preparation for each expedition. As a reminder, characters must be paid every day, fed at every rest and armour must be repaired with raw materials and wounds healed with remedies. For example, there is in-game content such as the Tombs of the Ancients that are designed to take time to complete (count several days of rank at a time to explore a tomb with potentially many battles).

7cb1b617fe2cd75fa49db9f5846fad96dbcedebb.jpg

Thus, you will need to prepare yourself in the service areas of towns and villages to stock up on supplies and then go on adventures. In short, the further you progress in the game, the further you can go: you should see the villages as beacons to which you must return to sort and empty your inventory (limited in weight to be stored but compensated for by the recruitment of animals such as horses) and replenish your supplies for your next expedition (food, materials, remedies). Indeed, the more gold you have, the better you will prepare your expeditions and the more difficult content you will achieve (sometimes several in the same expedition).

Then, you will explore and travel. We have established regions in which Points of Interest (POIs) are placed. A POI can be a place where resources are collected (mine, sawmill), a place where resources are spent (forge, apothecary's office), a town (which groups together several POIs) or a singular place whose operation can be unique. In all cases, if a POI offers unique or systemic gameplay, it is above all a place where the game's narrative can emerge.

7978e00cd2f5671e6d74220ccc471b1b3bd8f0f0.jpg

POIs allow us to create an effect of expectation, projection and desire for completion. A POI is constructed in the form of a point & click gameplay diorama: a 3D scene, an open shot of the daily life of the world's inhabitants, such as the interior of a farm or a tavern. It offers actions to perform, visible or hidden, characters to talk to, elements to interact with...

e35ebcb66aaa6c21540a99325b2c4e331fe9d337.jpg

As the game progresses, you will come across points of interest that may have regional particularities. Near the sea, you will find fishing huts. In the often icy mountains, abandoned guard posts used by kingdoms to protect themselves from bypasses stand alongside bandit-occupied mines and unexplored ruins. The challenge is to offer content that is adapted to the environment in which it is placed, while providing its own dose of narrative. In Wartales, there is no main quest or main story with heroes, cinematics and achievements. There are only stories told in the form of narrative fragments and, above all, the stories that the player tells himself and to which the game is designed to respond and echo.

63404c18be6ad75c2d2e79e0ed9cf71e147a8b2c.jpg

The elements placed in the world are the first direct vectors of this narrative. With this in mind, we have placed resources to be collected according to a logic: cowbane is collected in swampy surroundings while snow iris only grows in the mountains. The same goes for the points of interest: it is impossible to find a mine in the middle of a plain and conversely, you will not find a cabbage farm in the middle of a mountain. The coherence of the world thus directly involves the gameplay. Depending on your needs, you will explore this or that corner of the world to collect these resources. And maybe, have fun getting lost!

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1527950/view/2952661753179490285

0e2322897a4d78f044d3b7bc83f1dcf20628b6b2.png

Originally posted by author:
Attention Mercenaries!

Today, Pierre Etienne will be discussing the Art of Wartales. We will be taking a look at the global art style of Wartales which includes the inspiration for the environment, architecture, characters and weapons as well as the thought process behind the UI.

What are the influences for the global art style of wartales?

The universe of Wartales is set in a medieval fantasy universe which draws its inspiration from medieval Europe, spanning an artistic period going from the 5th to the 14th century. The general philosophy is to offer credible environments and characters for fans of medievalism, while maintaining a somewhat original aspect.

06d5651e2f380cff9feb20adacf4816edfdc397e.jpg

Wartales' graphic universe is therefore influenced as much by a naturalistic and documentary approach as by artists with very dark and melancholic fantasy universes such as Arthur Rackham or John Howe.

What was the inspiration for the environment?

As said in the previous Q&A the environments of Wartales are very strongly inspired by Scotland and the north of England.

344f8e7344f3b23b5a733879d68892ac07f9482e.png

To be more specific this is the inspiration for the core of the world story, the Edoran empire. Edoran is inspired by the Roman/Celtic culture, and Wales is the real life location where this civilization existed. But Wartales is not a medieval documentary so we have mixed this core inspiration with a lot of other European cultures and different eras. The world of Wartales will be composed of many specific biomes that will reflect on the various local cultures. For example The empire of Edoran is based on Wales but Harag kingdom is more based on the Scottish highland and Belerion on Iceland.
So as you travel you will see some changes in the landscape.

What was the inspiration for the architecture?

Much like the landscapes, the architecture reflects the people. So most of the buildings reflect the style of the Edoran empire, with stone walls and red tiles for the roof.

4f0afa692c06249bccc98e44ed4aea723e0878cb.jpg

Hubert Robert - The Old Temple - 1787

There is also this ancient and mysterious civilization that has left many ruins and secrets that are influenced by a mix of ancient culture like the Greek and the Mesopotamians. But the core inspiration for this are the romantic ruins and the Piranese prisons.

cf1ea8dc7d88c946b41c795f7de66f913c69cc5d.jpg

What was the inspiration for the characters?

The characters of Wartales are nomadic adventurers and their designs are therefore representative of their function. Most of them wear bags, warm clothes and capes to face the harsh climate and nature. They are also warriors so their outfits are optimized for combat. The characters represented in the band are both female and male and all have very athletic builds to match their extreme lifestyle.
For the proportions and the faces we were very much inspired by MMA wrestlers for both women and men. The outfits themselves draw their inspiration from various periods and cultures of the Middle Age going roughly from the late Roman empire to early Renaissance. You will find outfits with some Celtic inspirations as well as Gothic armor for the more sophisticated. The main idea was to take various existing pieces of armors and do some mashup with them.

06aa722898a46fed3e355ed46c16bc7c32cb6aad.jpg

The NPC’s designs were also influenced by middle age outfits but we have made sure that they were really different from the trained warriors. They are more simple and reflect their sedentary lifestyle and their jobs.

What was the inspiration for the weapons?

Wartales weapons are largely based on real weapons such as can be found in European museums. We will thus find falchions, corbin beaks, fauchards etc. However, especially for the most powerful weapons, one can find uniquely designed equipment made by legendary blacksmiths as well as ancient weapons, hidden deep in the dark ruins. But still, at least in part, inspired by existing weapons in the real world.

2215505f618b09b5df41bcf56bb9035b96f6e7d4.jpg

Can you talk a bit about the UI?

Wartales is a game where the user interface is quite present with various tables rich in texts and figures as well as many written dialogues. The style is therefore sober with fairly legible typographies and slightly typed like garamond for example. The iconography work is also very important with different levels of more or less diegetic stylizations, depending on whether it is skills that will be illustrative or simple logos that will be much more stylized and functional. The UI will of course largely evolve during the Early Access.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/wa...sts-you-never-wanted-to-do-in-the-first-place

Wartales is a tactical RPG that won't bog you down with quests you never wanted to do in the first place
You're free to live the mercenary live as you please

I didn't realise how annoying I found main quests in RPGs until I played a game that didn't force one on me. That game is Wartales, an upcoming tactical open world game from the developers of Northgard, Shiro Games. It plonks you into a fairly mundane medieval world - in the sense that there' are no wizards's no magic, elves, or grand drama for you to fix - where you can just exist as mercenary doing as you please. It's coming out in early access at some point in the near future, and after having a go of the demo, I spoke to game director Nicolas Cannasse about why they chose to make a game that sets you free, rather than railroading you into some giant mission.

In Wartales, you take control of a group of mercenaries making their way through a plague-ridden medieval world. Your goal is to survive, as well as feed and pay your mercenaries, though you can do that in any way you please.

"You'll take on missions, fight, trade - you can pretty much play the way you want. You can explore, fight bandits, or be bandits yourself," game director Nicolas Cannasse tells me.

I quite like the idea of playing a roving pack of bandits. During the demo, I'd often see a group of traders emerging from a settlement, and every time I'd think, "I'm gonna get 'em". But then I remembered I don't like being mean to people in video games, and I could barely protect myself against a single wolf. I still like the possibility, mind you.

Actually, in his Wartales preview, Nate came up against this exact problem too. I really didn't believe him when he wrote that he got absolutely beasted by wolves, but then I was utterly savaged by them as well. So, uh, let that be a warning to you.

Wartales will have more than just wolves and bandits to fight. You might see some of these lads, as well as other "fantastic creatures".

Besides the extraordinarily strong danger puppies, the most notable difference in Wartales to other RPGs is that there's no real central storyline. It's something that stood out to me as I played, because I didn't feel bogged down by waypoints telling me where the big drama is. I wasn't a protagonist burdened by a scary problem, I was just a simple merc, roaming around the forest, picking up herbs to put in my bag that I may never know the true use for.

"I've had so much fun playing open world games and going around to see what I can find in the world. But every time, there's alway this main quest waiting for me," Cannasse says. "With Wartales, you're free to do what you want. We have content and stories going on, and you can intervene, maybe fight and kill some guys, but the rest of the world is still waiting for you. It's less epic, but gives a lot of freedom to the player."

Thanks to this, Wartales feels like this blank canvas world that seems mundane at first, but opens up once you realise how much there is to do. Get involved in a bit of infighting over there, some rat murder over here, and likely some frequent plague-dodging all over. Cannasse tells me the Wartales team made sure you couldn't accidentally pick up missions from NPCs too, so you can avoid filling your map with rubbish you have no memory of.

"The game won't tell you that you need to complete a certain number of missions to do something. You have to accept or choose every mission you get, you get to decide," he adds.

It seems Shiro Games have managed to make something that's really unintrusive, and that extends to how they teach you to play as well.

Giving the crew, and horse, a rest between battles. Cannasse tells me the devs are thinking about letting the horses join you in combat at some point. He specifically mentioned them being able to bite people.

"We think it's important, some players really like this type of freedom where the game doesn't tell them anything at all. I'm this kind of player. I like to discover the game by myself, and we tried to make sure that every gameplay element is really understandable without any need for a tutorial," Cannasse tells me.

There will be a tutorial in the main menu, but progress from it won't carry over into the main game. It exists more as a reference for folks who'd prefer a bit of instruction. Ultimately, the team are trying to make the game fairly easy to get the hang of, especially if you're familiar with the genre. The tough part will be mastering it.

Here's some of that tactical fighting. I'm a big fan of the clean lines telling me exactly where I can and can't run to.

"We wanted to have something tactical, but not too technical, in the sense that we don't want to play chess with it," Cannasse explains. "Sometimes fights can be really tight and you have to really think about your next move, but we wanted to make something where there isn't too much to take into account, you're not overloaded."

That works just fine for me. Heck, I wonder how much of Wartales you could get through without fighting anything? Probably not that much, you do get attacked by various miscreants fairly frequently. But that's the fun of a game like this - while there's plenty there to get you involved in the world, you very much get to do your own thing with it.

"That's the most important part for us," Cannasse tells me. "A player can start in one region, do some activities, and maybe get distracted by a merchant being attacked by fantastic creatures, and your story grows from there. It's not our story, it's a story that the player creates themselves. We hope to see players sharing their stories together too."

If you fancy giving Wartales a go, the demo is currently available on Steam. It's set to release in early access sometime soon, and will stay there for around a year while the devs add new regions, enemies, modes and more.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I would love game like this but expanded with features from Mount&Blade where you can also be a noble and be part of wars and sieges and deal with kings.

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1527950/view/5321555755747106703

08e122faad7050745bb5fe933d98fb293dfb9cd2.png

Originally posted by author:
Attention Mercenaries!

Today, we take a brief look at what to expect over the next couple of months as we speed towards Wartales' Early Access release later this year and wind down the pre release Q&As.

As it’s the last Q&A for a while, is there anything you want to say to the community?

"First of all, the whole team would like to thank you for all your feedback, your attendance and reception to our Q&As and your warmth and vivacity on the Discord. We are delighted with the reception you have given to Wartales and we have the ambition to make this game a reference in the genre. We know how important the community and players are to this endeavour and are delighted to see that you are already helping us to grow and mature Wartales. We genuinely cannot thank and appreciate you all enough"

226b64b1a57ecd92f9369fcf213ecd227c0c5f01.jpg

What’s have you been doing since the release of the demo ?

"Well, a lot has changed but don't worry, not the essence of Wartales! We've taken your feedback into account and fixed a lot of the issues and areas that saw some negativity while also expanding on gameplay and features that we thought were secondary that resonated with you all. Over the weeks, the whole team has been working hard and you can be assured that we are not behind on the features we wanted to develop for the beginning of early access, there is some absolutely incredible stuff coming to the EA build that we genuinely cannot wait to see your reaction to.

f07e2063f233207e368b7d0b6e8cc6797ec066c8.png

We've added a lot of different content that we've talked about in previous diaries, namely the tombs of the ancients (dungeon crawler), the arenas (complex challenge with a small team), the rat invasions (how far will you go to burn the most nests?), Paths (echoes of the way you play), new elites, new units, new animals, new skills, talents, professions, items and so on. Enough to keep you on the edge of your seat for several dozen hours!"

What’s next ?

"A closed beta period will precede the EA release so that we can test and fix the game to ensure the best and most enjoyable and feature rich EA experience possible. Please note that the EA release will only be the beginning of the Wartales adventure. It's obviously too early to talk about what we're working on to develop Wartales during EA and we don't want to spoil the surprise just yet.

b40855aab857b631425a6d5995303e152460ebf7.jpg

Just know that we have lots of plans and our notebooks are full of ideas from team members but also from your own suggestions which we are enjoying dissecting, analysing and testing. We will be very attentive to the evolution of each patch and each feature and will ensure regular communication and follow-up throughout this experience. And of course, gathering your feedback. It is important to us to build the game alongside our community. You guys are going to be invaluable in how this game games together and the road ahead"

53b809d40008ecea5079f12d7a8b236c3ae00bc6.jpg

Can you give us 5 words to hint towards some stuff we'll be seeing in EA that we haven't seen or heard about yet?

"Faire, Swamps, Dead cities, Beast, Snake, Capital cities...

That's 6 (okay, technically 8) and it's all you get, for now... Anyways, I hope you enjoyed reading our dev diaries, as much as I enjoyed writing them and as much as our great communication team enjoyed editing them :)

Take care and we'll see you soon on the beta battleground soon... ;)"

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
https://steamcommunity.com/games/15...TH4OqYA52uG6iFEpYLPum6waKVuNl-kcvbw5BwivKYRGw

Wartales Q&A #11: Community Questions
05292a3c0be8970b0ec2901483226926ee67b3ae.png

Attention Mercenaries!

Welcome to a very special Q&A with the wartales devs, where we tackle the questions that you guys want answered!

This week, we're addressing all of the questions you guys have all been leaving us since the announcement of a Wartales AMA last week, covering topics such as co-op, the size of the world, helmets, loot, Early Access and betas...

How many professions will there be?

We can't give a definitive answer for the final release, but at the moment we have 9 professions and the plan is to add more.

Will there be some kind of battle limit like in the demo?

Once the game releases into Early Access, there will be absolutely no limits on how long you can play the game or explore the world for. The 7 battle limitiation was strictly for the demo.

Will Medieval Firearms such as Handgonnes or Arquebuses be implemented into the game? Thank your for the opportunity to ask the question, can't wait for the Beta release!

For now, we don't have medieval firearms in the game but we have powder that can be used to craft some primary explosives. It is a possibility.

Will there be some form of procedural generation like in BB?

The game is designed to make the designed content (narrative, ruins, arenas, ...) interact with a whole host of systemic content (bounty hunts, rat invasions, hideouts, ...). Almost all of the combat maps are procedurally generated.

7fcc247c9908d8fc701495912c9f14aca4d58536.jpg

Hello, will there be Russian?

Да.

Will you be able to use magic in combat?

In the world of Wartales, you won't find magic, strictly speaking. Nobody is able to cast fireballs or teleport. Nevertheless, you will find fantastical elements, events or enemies, such as the ghost pack, the ruin crawlers and way more to discover. Maybe they are not that fantastical when you know the truth... A crude science based on newly discovered explosive powder and pestiferous alchemical reagents will allow you to achieve certain things in the future. Magic, no. Fantasy, yes.

733270876a3daacf5b91af84168ded863cdec76f.png

Are there any plans for post launch DLC?

Right now, we are focused on the core game and creating as enjoyable and rich an experience as possible for the Early Access release and ultimately the full release next year. If, there is still demand for more wartales and we can find some compelling content to develop or a good reason for DLC, it may be something we explore, but it's too early to think about anything like that just yet.

Will battles play on a visible (hex) grid, if not, why have you decided against it?

We wanted the player to feel free in their movements, without looking for pixel perfect movement which is often tedious. We believe that by adding a flexible grid, we give the player the opportunity to express themselves while maintaining control.

15ae4126bdb4a16536f8ebe8095138480946177c.png

How much does the price of goods fluctuate between towns and difficulty levels? Does killing merchants influence these prices (reduced supply)?

Each town has its own production of trade goods and therefore, their own needs. Basically, a trade good that you bought somewhere can cost way more in a region where this trade good is rare. You will need to draw your own resource map to know what road is worth it.

Can all parties access the black market (referenced in previous Q&A) or only unlawful parties?

You will have to commit some petty theft in order to be contacted by a black market representative who will open his doors to you. But no worries, you won't have to be a king of crime. But being a king of crime can open you other doors...

How big is the world of wartales going to get?

Pretty big. At least ten times what you experienced during the demo.

When's the full release

Early Access release will be before the end of the year, full release will likely be late 2022

Does the world have a religion, or perhaps multiple religions with multiple branching sects?

A single religion dominates the world of Wartales, but some cultures have unique practices and fanatics. There are whispers that some cultists are meeting somewhere.

7978e00cd2f5671e6d74220ccc471b1b3bd8f0f0.jpg

Will there be any helmets for your characters in the game ?

:)

Will co op be coming to Wartales at some point in the future?

This is something we have seen a number of requests for since the announcement of the game, and we'd love to look into this down the line, so while we're certainly not ruling anything out yet, don't get your hopes up on seeing anything like this too soon...

Will wartales be available for macbook with m1 chip?

The game will initially only release on Windows as part of the Early Access, we might add OSX support on final release, but it will not be M1 native (x86_64 emulation layer)

Is there going to be a Hardcore Mode?

Of course. We also love dying.

Is there going to be more interaction between the inhabitans of the world? Are bandits for example also going to attack traiders or are guards going to help you if you are being attacked?

Yes. You will see that what roams the world is capable of many things.

63404c18be6ad75c2d2e79e0ed9cf71e147a8b2c.jpg

Will it be possible to "elect" a leader for the company (and at the same time will this character gain a trait for being the leader?)

Btw: Please keep your good work up! I´m really looking forward to play Wartales as soon as Early Access starts!

Yes, you will be able to elect a captain among your companions and to choose some lieutenants too. These ranks provide unique skills and bonuses.

Are there going to be achievements?

There will be no Steam Achievements in the alpha, but they are planned for Early Access alongside having gameplay related achievements in the game.

e.g: kill 8 wolves in one fight => awards "Wolfkiller", give attribute point for example

or "negotiations done : 100" => awards +10% chance on negotiation

Have you drawn on any real life cultures/societies? If so what effect have they had on art direction and world building?

As said in the previous Q&A the environments of Wartales are very strongly inspired by Scotland and the north of England.
To be more specific this is the inspiration for the core of the world story, the Edoran empire. Edoran is inspired by the Roman/Celtic culture, and Wales is the real life location where this civilization existed. But Wartales is not a medieval documentary so we have mixed this core inspiration with a lot of other European cultures and different eras. The world of Wartales will be composed of many specific biomes that will reflect on the various local cultures. For example The empire of Edoran is based on Wales but Harag kingdom is more based on the Scottish highland and Belerion on Iceland.
So as you travel you will see some changes in the landscape.

Will there be kingdom management?

We wanted to change the register from some of the games in the genre. We opted for the route of the mercenary band that travels the world, sets up camp in the forest and goes on an adventure. You will get a lot of camp equipment and can set up your camp as you wish. You can brew your own beer, dry your own meat or collect honey in your beehive. Think long-term for your camp. The camp is your kingdom. Small, but cosy.

c2eb1446addde608a5cc1064d95220b70c2ed313.jpg

Will there be "legendary" types of weapons and gear the players can get from enemies/crafting?

Yes, you will find legendary items in multiple ways.

Will there be a system of boats, navigation or something like that?

This is definitively something we have in mind...

Are there any future plans to support consoles as well?

That's definitely something we're thinking about should ther ebe enough demand, but we're focusing solely on the PC version for now.

Are there going to be unique companions?

Yes,you will find unique companions with unique skills. But be careful with them. If they die, you won't be able to find another companion like this.

b3187ab8ddffe77b265521dae4083fec8e626f5d.jpg

Will there be different starting locations or will it always start in the same spot?

We want you to be able to choose your starting region after the first time you played. You'll also unlock new customisation choices for your party at the start of the game, including the choice of starting classes and other initial perks. It is doable because a huge part of our content scales on your party's level and power. :decline:. Some content remains designed and you'll need to be strong enough to take it down.

I love the style of your games and your team is doing great work! Will you have modding capability to the game?

This is something we did with Northgard after some time, so maybe we will have it for Wartales as well in a few years, but our current focus is to be able to provide all players with the best game and we have a lot of ideas of new content that could not be acheived through moddding alone.

Are you planing any backgrounds that alter gameplay ? Like cultists or one-man-army?

Definitely something we're looking into...

Will resources respawn or will there be camps to capture to produce more?

Resources will slowly respawn but it is better for you to change region.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
>Will battles play on a visible (hex) grid, if not, why have you decided against it?
>>We wanted the player to feel free in their movements, without looking for pixel perfect movement which is often tedious. We believe that by adding a flexible grid, we give the player the opportunity to express themselves while maintaining control.

PPPFFFFT! PFFT! WAFFLES! That is the most dumbest shit I've ever read from a developer.

Shrimp

Arbiter
I have no idea what's been changed since the demo released at some time in the summer (or if anything has been changed at all) but I'm looking forward to playing it without the heavy restrictions the demo had unless they somehow also remain in place.
Based on my experience with the demo the combat is what needed the most additional work.

vazha

Arcane
That huge backpack on an assassin dude looks kind of silly. Imagine Garrett sneaking around with a rucksack on.

Last edited:

vazha

Arcane
Don't they have a cart? Don't think anyone would complain if these were put on a cart instead.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom