Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPGs that fell short of greatness and should be remade

Norfleet

Basically all of the Kickstarter era RPGs, with the possible exception of the Shadowrun trilogy. Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader is another great contender.
Lionfart doesn't need a remake, they just need to FINISH making it.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Basically all of the Kickstarter era RPGs, with the possible exception of the Shadowrun trilogy. Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader is another great contender.
Lionfart doesn't need a remake, they just need to FINISH making it.
Lionheart was a beautiful game but not even close to being an RPG:

70736-lionheart-amiga-screenshot-title.png
231758-lionheart-amiga-screenshot-dragon.png
231761-lionheart-amiga-screenshot-game-start.png

231763-lionheart-amiga-screenshot-rope.png
231767-lionheart-amiga-screenshot-bug-enemy.png
231773-lionheart-amiga-screenshot-beehive.png

Supermedo

Augur
Dragon Age II

I liked the story that is focused around the characters and no save the world bullshit, just redo the game with Origins combat and expand the story and you know give the game more than 2 years of development time.

Zlaja

Arcane
If Origin had just made this a separate story of in the Ultima universe, and got rid of the stupid platform jumping mini-games

"Thanks" for reminding me of those fucking jumping sections in Ultima 8. And here I was in a good mood before reading your post. :mad:

The Witcher 2007

do not know why CDPR hasn't already done it but they could simply reuse TW3 assets for a remake. Story and quest design were great and I would love to play it again but I hate the combat

What combat do you want instead? Same as in W3? 'Cause that one sucked too. All Wicher games need new combat.

Divinity 2 Ego Draconis

Fun, unique ARPG but bad tech and the insane amount of cut content held it back

I wish the game was better balanced so that the game doesn't get piss-easy later on. Even on nightmare difficulty it just gets too easy eventually.

Inquisitor - Boy, oh boy. Fix the trashmobs and its a delight to play. Proper Medieval

That constant kiting bullshit you had to do was really annoying. And the potion chugging required was batshit retarded.

Codex Year of the Donut
I don't want remakes, I just want to go back in time and somehow give all of my favourites an extra 3 months of dev time.
do you think it's a coincidence that so many of them were "just a few months" short of being ready?
delaying these games never seems to make them any better, adds more unfinished buggy features perhaps

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
with the possible exception of the Shadowrun trilogy

:hahano:
I'm serious. The Shadowrun trilogy is good for what it is. It has less wrong with it than PoE, D:OS, Wasteland 2, etc. Deadman's Switch could use a rework that fixes the whole "stay in combat until the end of the mission" thing, but I think it already has had a remake in the engine of Hong Kong or something. Yes, this is me outing myself as having the opinion the Shadowrun trilogy is the best offering from the Kickstarter era.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
The series literally has one, single thing going for it and that's atmosphere/worldbuilding. Everything else is terrible or mediocre. And only Dragonfall even does that perfect.

Normally the Codex is more into these huge ambitious projects that fall short of greatness than less ambitious but also less flawed games. With Shadowrun it's like the reverse. They're really boring unassuming games which do one thing pretty well, yet it's like the consensus that they were the best part of the Kickstarter era.

Last edited:

laclongquan

Arcane

Fallout
: use the F2 "engine" for better inventory and companion behaviour.

Already done~ That is project Fallout Ettu, aka Fallout1@2. Completely done and bugfixed.

Arcanum is a good choice. For one thing, steampunk game is nice and rare. For another Arcanum content alone is worth. For a third, it's more like it just need a 3D makeover (expensive) or HD upscale so that it can be played on modern rigs~

Vampire Masquerade Redemption is also a good choice. It's like a alchemy-less monster-less Witcher1.

And while I love Lionheart, damn thing doesnt need a remake because it's incompleted in the 1st place~

Last edited:

Stoned Ape

Savant
I'd quite like a re-imagining of Spelljammer: Pirates of Relamspace.

Make the ship-to-ship combat bits happen from a 3rd person view with a 3D battle field with debris and stuff, make the boarding actions take place on multi-level ship maps and make the Toril based solar system full of pirate docks, Illithid slave markets to raid/capture/trade with, treasure to hunt for, and mysterious beasts to kill. Maybe have each new career start with a goal to achieve before retirement rather than a 'save the world' plot. Preferably include some factions which you can help to conquer territory and get rewards from.

Norfleet

Hmm. Isn't Spelljammer that "space" setting which just basically completely discards any pretense of scientifically accurate space and everything that would make space spacey in favor of being in space without actually being in space so you can have wizards and dragons in space that don't all die? It seems like that setting never took off, probably because people were unable to wrap their heads around it.

Stoned Ape

Savant
Hmm. Isn't Spelljammer that "space" setting which just basically completely discards any pretense of scientifically accurate space and everything that would make space spacey in favor of being in space without actually being in space so you can have wizards and dragons in space that don't all die? It seems like that setting never took off, probably because people were unable to wrap their heads around it.

The setting was a bit goofy and cheesy, but had quite a lot of character and imagination put into it. It worked around the idea of ships each having a big air bubble around them and each solar system being inside a big crystal sphere. It felt a bit like an early 20th century pulp scifi setting and could have been a good video game. Unfortunately it was a bit of a boring, repetitive, buggy mess.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
The series literally has one, single thing going for it and that's atmosphere/worldbuilding. Everything else is terrible or mediocre. And only Dragonfall even does that perfect.

Normally the Codex is more into these huge ambitious projects that fall short of greatness than less ambitious but also less flawed games. With Shadowrun it's like the reverse. They're really boring unassuming games which do one thing pretty well

The only good thing from Harebrained cRPG comes from the Shadowrun rules and settings, they didn't add anything of value, only dumbed it down.
Mobile game engine, corridor dungeons, jrpg linear quests, they even dumbed down the game mechanism so much they sucked the fun out of character development.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Good fucking god, and then we wonder why games nowadays are trash and devoid of any soul.
Tbh, this is such an extreme case of meddling it borders on satire. I've honestly never seen this degree of publisher shenanigans before or since.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Titan Quest, if they removed all the padding and used the original concept:

EXSxChIUYAEnSuF.png

Also, Neverwinter Nights 2 with a decent camera.
Snowing in Greece is controversial?

I was in Athens during 4 days of constant snow, a very rare event in these parts. The city quickly became paralyzed, taxis were unable to carry people to the hills, all steps (and there are many in this city) became slippery with ice. Fun times!

But it's true snow is a common occurance in Greek mountains. Even those around Athens, not to mention mountains in northern regions like Macedon or Thrace.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom