Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The PS5 and Xbox 2 thread - it's happening

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
What did you think of like a dragon? I'm out of games to play and I heard this was a proper Tb rpg.

Yakuza: Like A Dragon is fantastic. My RPG of the year.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
^The PS5 is selling copies at a record pace. All three console manufacturers are all having record years, showing great reports, and seem to be in a healthy, economical state.

Sony have shipped almost 13 million PS5s, the Switch is selling gangbusters, and while the Xbox Series has sold less, Microsoft seem to be happy with Gamepass. PC gaming seems to have grown the last few years. In general, gaming seems to be more alive than ever. If gaming the way the codex wants it to be alive is another question.

I'm still not convinced that the PS5 actually exists. It's like they're making games for a console that never shipped. Who's buying them?

Publishers still waiting on the next-gen customer base to grow, customers still waiting for publishers to put out games worth buying a console for and for prices to drop. Cheap streaming services were supposed to help speed up next-gen adoption but they certainly seem to have dropped the ball by targeting the wrong markets/countries.

At this rate it will be at least 2-3 years from launch before we get a single "big" game made for these new machines (when slim/pro models should land). Sony and MS will already be peddling the PS6/XXX by the time the potentially more interesting second gen games pop out.

deuxhero

Arcane
^The PS5 is selling copies at a record pace. All three console manufacturers are all having record years, showing great reports, and seem to be in a healthy, economical state.

Sony have shipped almost 13 million PS5s, the Switch is selling gangbusters, and while the Xbox Series has sold less, Microsoft seem to be happy with Gamepass. PC gaming seems to have grown the last few years. In general, gaming seems to be more alive than ever. If gaming the way the codex wants it to be alive is another question.

PS5 is selling, but software sales are down. Even when Sony bundled PS4 soft+PS5 soft, software sales actually went down at the PS5's release.
https://archive.ph/wip/IEX6H

It looks like the Xbox 360 has sold more software in Japan in its first year than the PS5 did (at least for physical software) in its first year. This suggests people aren't actually buying the PS5, only scalpers and stores are.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
They aren't doing well Japan, but are doing fine in the rest of the world. They are fine.

Anyway, added three more PS5 games to my backlog.

R&C: Rift Apart
Sackboy: A Big Adventure
Tales of Arise

To be honest, I don't care how many PS5s Sony sells. I just want games to play.

Maybe you guys are right, and it is mostly scalped consoles.

ferratilis

Magister
Funny thing about the new consoles is that they went from loading games for more than two minutes to almost instant loading. I wanted to try Yakuza Like a Dragon on the game pass for console, and they explain some mechanics on the loading screen, through lengthy paragraphs. But the thing is, you can barely read a sentence. Also, when playing Halo Infinite, it loads the map after a second or two and then you have to wait for all the other players. Whether it's PC players with SATA SSDs/HDDs or people with slow internet, I'm not sure. But times have definitely changed.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

PS5 is selling, but software sales are down. Even when Sony bundled PS4 soft+PS5 soft, software sales actually went down at the PS5's release.
https://archive.ph/wip/IEX6H

It looks like the Xbox 360 has sold more software in Japan in its first year than the PS5 did (at least for physical software) in its first year. This suggests people aren't actually buying the PS5, only scalpers and stores are.

This is what I was getting at before. Stores have rows of PS5 games and peripherals and shit. I've never seen a console. Even on threads devoted to finding them on sale, the things are still selling through in minutes of going up.

It'd be funny if the scalpers got stuck holding the machines, but some retard is always willing to pay.

Personally, with almost everything coming to PC anyway for a better experience, I doubt I'll be picking up anymore consoles except maybe Nintendo things. I was interested in possibly getting a PS5 a year ago, but the lack of availability changed what would have been a hype fuelled impulse purchase to a slow and considered one and that's never good for these sorts of things. I mean, I'll probably die before getting through my backlog as it is.

Caim

Arcane
I was interested in possibly getting a PS5 a year ago, but the lack of availability changed what would have been a hype fuelled impulse purchase to a slow and considered one and that's never good for these sorts of things.
Pretty much. I've seen the Series S on sale here and there, but without a disc drive that's a no-go for me. I never got a PS4 even though there's a few games on it that I'd like to try eventually, but I would not be surprised if most of those got PC releases between now and a few years.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist
Funny thing about the new consoles is that they went from loading games for more than two minutes to almost instant loading. I wanted to try Yakuza Like a Dragon on the game pass for console, and they explain some mechanics on the loading screen, through lengthy paragraphs. But the thing is, you can barely read a sentence. Also, when playing Halo Infinite, it loads the map after a second or two and then you have to wait for all the other players. Whether it's PC players with SATA SSDs/HDDs or people with slow internet, I'm not sure. But times have definitely changed.

Xbox One players and PC players with shit HDDs.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Xbox One players and PC players with shit HDDs.

What if you can afford PCIe4.0 SSDs for everything. What then.

SSDs are overrated. Yes they seek,access, and read, fast. But PC users have MOAR RAM. I bought 32GB of DDR4 3200mhz RAM for a mere 108 euros last week. And it is general purpose ram, not for graphics.... Graphics have moar vram. And guess what: RAM IS FASTER THAN SSDs.

In a few years, we are going to preload whole vidya games into RAM. Try to beat that with your console ssds, plebs.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
At this point even midgen refresh is questionable because 7nm will hardly get old.

They'll do it. It's a way for them to reintroduce a premium/full priced SKU 2-3 years down the line without starting a whole new generation.

I do think this gen will have a length similar to the 360/PS3 though due to the supply chain issues.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
That's par for the course. Happened with PS3 and PS4, too. Took longer than expected, tbh.

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist
imagine dying and being in any afterlife ever and having to explain to your ancestors that you died trying to scalp a ps5

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist
imagine dying and being in any afterlife ever and having to explain to your ancestors that you died trying to scalp a ps5

Well, it is not illegal, it is a living.... They died in the line of work.

who cares if its legal

its legal to make money by filming yourself shoving sharpie pens up your asshole while paying two men to nut in your hair screaming "SHAMPOO SHAMPOO YOU'RE GONNA GET DAMPOO" while you scream "OOKIE POOKIE STAPLES DOOKIE" in most countries but you still do it every week and you're still a fucking moron for doing it, you and JamesDixon both

Last edited:

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
its legal to make money by filming yourself shoving sharpie pens up your asshole while paying two men to nut in your hair screaming "SHAMPOO SHAMPOO YOU'RE GONNA GET DAMPOO" while you scream "OOKIE POOKIE STAPLES DOOKIE" in most countries but you still do it every week and you're still a fucking moron for doing it, you and JamesDixon both

I am sorry, was i a bit too rough on your mom's ass last night and you got angry with me?

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
They aren't doing well Japan, but are doing fine in the rest of the world. They are fine.

Anyway, added three more PS5 games to my backlog.

R&C: Rift Apart
Sackboy: A Big Adventure
Tales of Arise

To be honest, I don't care how many PS5s Sony sells. I just want games to play.

Maybe you guys are right, and it is mostly scalped consoles.

Play Tales of Arise on PC, because on PC you can use this mod https://www.nexusmods.com/talesofarise/mods/5?tab=description to disable the built-in Sharpening Filter that the devs put in the game which ruins the graphics. The game's default Sharpening Filter causes moire, noise and aliasing and shimmering, and makes everything look deep-fried. With the filter disabled via the mod (read the comments/instructions, you have to change a value in the mod's .ini file to '0') the game looks absolutely stunning, with zero aliasing or shimmering.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Thank fuck for Gamepass cause this price hiking shit is getting on my nerves.
Always fun to see AAA publishers charging over 100 euros for cross-gen bundle or whatever. Like who the fuck with the sane mind would click buy on that.

I spent most of my gaming time this year playing through Yakuza collection, played some AoE4, tried the Ascent, wanna play Forza 5 but aint got time, same for Halo, didnt even install it yet.
Wanna play AoE4 more, it got that nostalgic feel to it but wanna finish Yakuza first, got a few hours in 5 to do then onto 6 to finish off the series.

It seems situation with the availability of the consoles is worse than last year when they released, I know like 3 people that have PS5. There is no way to order it either, like put me in a queue and guarantee my delivery in a few months but no can do.
No wonder noone buys games on it cause there is no people that play it. Its like scalpers bought 90% of available consoles.
When it comes to Xbox, there is some S model in the stores, there was even a sale for black friday, 3000 SEK(~280 euros) for S and Fifa 21 bundle.
The X model I saw it last time in a store like 6 months ago, there should be some but nowhere to be found.

I still think its an awesome machine,with reduced loading times, FPS boosts, the Quick Resume feature is the best thing Im still pleasantly suprised by almost every time I boot up the machine.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom