Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter BATTLETECH - turn-based mech combat from Harebrained Schemes

i'm sick of roguetech's loading times. how are advanced's compared to them?

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I would advice against playing the campaign, especially without quality-of-life mods, such as those that reduce load times. The writing is tailor made to be bad and to piss you off, even if you don't give a fuck about the lore, as I do, because of the blatant contrivances made to ensure certain plot situations happen, sometimes at the expense of gameplay.

Huh. The story seems ok so far, but I've only just started it, a few missions in - I'm just at the part where me and my Marauders are helping some toff lady get a spaceliner that crashed on a moon out of the hands of pirates and off the ground. (It looks like the spaceliner that was supposed to have been blown up with my princess in it - I'm guessing it'll turn out that her enemies lied about her being killed, the spaceship escaped, and she's been in a cryopod all these years, or somthing like that :) )

I like the way it's set up, the feel of being a tight-knit unit venturing through the galaxy, having to manage it both as a business venture and as an effective band of mercenaries - but I suppose that's what you're doing in a Career anyway.

The lore is amazing - I've checked out a few vids. I've obviously missed out on a huge thing all these years.

Suicidal

Arcane
i'm sick of roguetech's loading times. how are advanced's compared to them?

For me it's like 1-2 minutes both before and after a mission, but as I said, I'm on a very old PC with no SSD. I've been watching a guy play BTA on Twitch and for him the load times are like 5 seconds.

Cael

Arcane
Anyone here played Mech Commander: Omnitech?
A little bit in the MW2 Mercs campaign. It seems to be quite buggy. The AI doesn't seem to go to certain waypoints, for example, which really bones you when you are expecting your buddy to help you out as in the original MW2 Mercs. The weapons ranges are also all over the place, with SRMs almost the range of Large Lasers, etc. Lastly, when you purchase extra drop weight, it isn't permanent. It resets the next mission. The drop weight doesn't seem to increase as the campaign progresses, so you are stuck with the starting 25-30 tons unless you want to spend your entire savings and more buying extra drop weight every mission.

I didn't have a good time with it and gave up about 5 missions in.

Zanzoken

Arcane
I decided to give this a try. Spent an hour slogging across the first level, squashing trash mobs, listening to annoying nigger / stronk womyn companions prattle on about political bullshit I don't care about. Then the boss at the end of the level drops in and ROFLstomps the bodyguard dude in 2 turns. Game over.

Reload and I'm back at the beginning? Lmao as if I could ever be fucked to do that again. Probably the worst, biggest waste of time tutorial mission I've ever played. Goddamn SLOW AS FUCK piece of shit game. Merry Christmas.

Cael

Arcane
I decided to give this a try. Spent an hour slogging across the first level, squashing trash mobs, listening to annoying nigger / stronk womyn companions prattle on about political bullshit I don't care about. Then the boss at the end of the level drops in and ROFLstomps the bodyguard dude in 2 turns. Game over.

Reload and I'm back at the beginning? Lmao as if I could ever be fucked to do that again. Probably the worst, biggest waste of time tutorial mission I've ever played. Goddamn SLOW AS FUCK piece of shit game. Merry Christmas.
You were warned about the shitty programming, the retarded gameplay and the bad fanfic tier writing.

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist

lmao you can press the spacebar(?) to speed up the attack and move animations

on top of that you can change the frequency or outright disable the "cool cam" animations

you idiot lol

Cael

Arcane

on top of that you can change the frequency or outright disable the "cool cam" animations

you idiot lol
It is still slow as fuck with all those options toggled. It is just a badly programmed piece of junk.

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist

you idiot lol
It is still slow as fuck with all those options toggled. It is just a badly programmed piece of junk.

Yeah I kind of agree. I'm just getting into X-Com enemy unknown and I'm really liking the game but wow, it's five(?) years older than Battletech and its way better programmed. I think Battletech has nicer graphics, but Battletech has the advantage of not being forced onto 2005/6 hardware post 2010. And there's no voice acting, the game takes a long, long, long time to load, etc.

Cael

Arcane

you idiot lol

Yeah I kind of agree. I'm just getting into X-Com enemy unknown and I'm really liking the game but wow, it's five(?) years older than Battletech and its way better programmed. I think Battletech has nicer graphics, but Battletech has the advantage of not being forced onto 2005/6 hardware post 2010. And there's no voice acting, the game takes a long, long, long time to load, etc.
I call BS. Both nu-XCOM shits all over the HBS game in just about every aspect. The best thing about the HBS game is the music in the intro, but XCOM's music holds its own even against that.

Old XCOM just shits all over the HBS game, period. Dated graphics and all.

Old Hans

Arcane
I think Battletech has nicer graphics
that is bananas. I think xcom 1 still looks good and more importantly and feels good to play. battletech has an aneurysm when you shoot more than 1 bullet. "you're shooting 4 machine guns? HOLD ON LET ME FREEZE THE GAME SO I CAN CALCULATE THIS!"

Cael

Arcane
that is bananas. I think xcom 1 still looks good and more importantly and feels good to play. battletech has an aneurysm when you shoot more than 1 bullet. "you're shooting 4 machine guns? HOLD ON LET ME FREEZE THE GAME SO I CAN CALCULATE THIS!"
You have to feel for the HBS game when my Annihilator with 5x LB2-X and 2x SPPCs does an alpha strike. It is not its fault it had incompetent devs.

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist

I didn't say X-Com had poor visuals. It's just that they look like an early 10's console game. HBS Battletech's mechs are very nice looking, with good art direction. They sell the idea of 200+ year old mechs killing each other.

Cael

Arcane

I didn't say X-Com had poor visuals. It's just that they look like an early 10's console game. HBS Battletech's mechs are very nice looking, with good art direction. They sell the idea of 200+ year old mechs killing each other.
HBS stole those 'mech visuals from Mechwarrior Online.

Every. Last. One. Of. Them.

Suicidal

Arcane
What I really hate in this game is how story missions are designed around spawning enemy reinforcements behind your units and for some reason the reinforcements get a free turn the moment they are spawned. I use the last available unit in my squad to trigger a story event and a bunch of shit spawns behind me, and before the next round even begins every enemy unit gets a free shot at mine. And then on then next round they get another action before me cause most of my mechs are heavy and slow. Usually this results in me losing a unit or two because the enemies get to make like 10 attacks at their rear armor for free.

I'm sorry, game, for not having the power of precognition necessary to avoid shit like that.

Last edited:

Cael

Arcane
What I really hate in this game is how story missions are designed around spawning enemy reinforcements behind your units and for some reason the reinforcements get a free turn the moment they are spawned. I use the last available unit in my squad to trigger a story event and a bunch of shit spawns behind me, and before the next round even begins every enemy unit gets a free shot at mine. And then on then next round they get another action before me cause most of my mechs are heavy and slow. Usually this results in me using a unit or two because the enemies get to make like 10 attacks at their rear armor for free.

I'm sorry, game, for not having the power of precognition necessary to avoid shit like that.
It is a sign of how utterly incompetent the devs are when that kind of spawning happens. It is the only way they are able to make the game more difficult for the players. It is especially bad as X-Com did it so much better with far fewer resources 30 years ago.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom