Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG.com

Melcar

Arcane
GOG is fucking hopeless.

I haven't told this to anyone yet. I was going to keep it to myself but after the news that GOG is getting "reorganized", I might as well.

One of the things that frustrates me the most about GOG is how poorly the search system works on their website. Not only you cannot search for anything other than the game name, but the sorting options were for a long time all broken because the info in the game pages was either incomplete or just plain wrong.

It pisses me off that they would be so retarded to the point of not even implementing correctly something so fundamental for people to buy products on their store.

So I opened a support ticket pointing out that the game pages do not correctly reflect the games and that, for example, games which got controller support added after being released on the store did not get their page updated to reflect this. And since people often hear that GOG versions are incomplete or in some way worse than Steam, it would be in their best interest to at least update the game descriptions and features to reflect the Steam page.

Here's a snippet of that message, so you all can rejoice at how much of a maniac I am.

When people ask about GOG they often hear some games here aren't up to date with the Steam version, or that updates are slower, or that there are different versions for GOG.

So, someone lands on a game page and notices the game isn't marked for controller support, despite having controller support on Steam.

What are they going to think? That GOG has a different version of the game, maybe? Or should they just assume GOG doesn't correctly tag their games? Let's be clear, neither is a good alternative.

It's not tremendous work to go through every game page and check for errors. Even if done at a glacially slow pace by a single person, it wouldn't take more than a couple of months.

Stuff like this literally takes sales away from GOG.

Well, the reply I got from some fellow there basically told me that Steam is better. I'm not fucking kidding. The GOG employee informed me that Steam works better, has more features and GOG is the way it is and I should please understand.

Here, read it yourselves.

I understand your concern, however please keep in mind that Steam has different functionalities and solutions comparing to GOG.
When controller support is not tagged on GOG, it means that we tested the game and confirmed that it is not fully compatible with controllers or not compatible with them at all.
Steam client, on the contrary, has a dedicated functionality that helps using controllers with almost every game even if a game does not support controllers out of the box.

Please keep in mind that we do our best to bring more useful functionalities for GOG users, however the development of any similar features requires development time and resources.

That being said, I thank you for your feedback and hope for your understanding.

I was not satisfied by this reply at all. So I spelled it out for him.

I get what you said about the Steam client, but you guys should be aware that some games which didn't get released with controller support but were updated later to enable it still don't have the controller tag.

Long story short, he asked me to name a game. I said the first Banner Saga.

And here's the craziest part of this whole exchange. Here's what he replied on September the 16th.

We double-checked the specified game and it turned out that it indeed does have a controller support now. An appropriate feature has been added to the game's page.

If you have a list of other similar games, please feel free to share it with us.

If you have a list of other similar games, please feel free to share it with us!!!??? Are you fucking for real??? So the customer is supposed to work for them now?

I didn't even respond to that, but what would have said is that what I get paid by the hour is more than what he makes and if they were to pay me my regular fucking fees to do their shitty job for them they'd go bankrupt even faster than they are going to at the current pace.

Mutherfuckers.
I don't understand why it's so hard to hire a couple of sperglords with severe OCD that can take care of these things.

Patriarchy.

Boleskine

Arcane
Great points all around. GOG's walled garden approach is fine when they're the only place to buy certain games. Once publishers started dumping the games onto Steam as well, GOG needed to alter their strategy. Now if GOG rejects some indie game, the dev can just release on Steam, Humble, and itch.io. By the way, Steam was never GOG's true competitor - it was the Humble Store. Many games sold on Humble Store or in their bundles offer both a DRM-free installer and Steam key.

GOG missed a golden opportunity to create a multiplayer-focused client for older games. You can't deathmatch old school Doom on Steam, but imagine if GOG created a client that allows users to connect on virtual LANs or something. That would have been fucking awesome and a huge selling point for GOG. Instead of trying to be like Steam, GOG needed to distinguish themselves further from it. The GOG client needed to be minimal, little more than a launcher. It didn't need to be a convoluted, bloated mess with a bunch of useless social features.

Also, for many years GOG had to provide support for older games. When they started releasing newer games they still provided support for those games, too, instead of having any kind of reliable tech support platform to allow users to report bugs to developers. Most people probably aren't aware of GOG's dedicated game forums separate from their general discussion forum, and few developers post in there anyway. GOG is an afterthought.

Releasing newer games as GOTY/complete editions with DRM patched out is a good thing but they fucked up Hitman. Sometimes I honestly wonder if GOG is run by idiots.

Lastly, Infinitron mentioned JudasIscariot. He stopped posting here a few years ago when GOG got woke and presumably forbid him from interacting with the hellhole of shitlords known as the RPG KKKodex. This may seem like a trivial thing but it's a sign of a deeper problem - GOG ignored that their core customer base was old school, diehard, lifelong PC gamers, not blue haired feminists who think Depression Quest is too hard. Expanding the games catalog was a good idea since eventually the rate of classic releases would slow down. Unfortunately GOG lost their identity in this process, and for the last 7 years they've had no clear direction. The community has been doing their job for them for years, and that support exchange from samuraigaiden illustrates just how bad things are.

Get woke, something something.

Ravielsk

Magister
Sometimes I honestly wonder if GOG is run by idiots.
I have a theory about this. I suspect that the problems began when GoG started hiring new managers, either young people or types from the west(it does not matter they represent both the same cancer). Because you see I have a fair bit of experience with what is taught in management faculties and on various courses that concern themselves with management. The one thing that all of these have in common is that they teach less about leadership and more about dictatorship, meaning that a core idea in all of them is that the employees are either some form of Untermensch or a straight up enemy you just have to put up with. The direct consequence of this is that most managers believe that all employs are 100% interchangeable and that they are to be only tolerated only as long as they do not step out of the line, the second they do the meta strategy is to go "FUCK'EM".

I will not get into how this is insane for anything more complex than a packaging plant but I have noticed how this attitude has bled through into how they approach their customers. Who have now also become another form of Untermenschen and enemies you just have to tolerate. This then translates into managers ignoring their core customer base because in their mind they can always just get a new one. Ignoring feedback even just out of sheer spite(remember Blizzard's "You think you do, but you don't") and will in fact often go out of their way to get as much distance from the community as possible(a.k.a removing community features, refusing to develop them any further, that sort of stuff). I suspect that this is exactly what happened internally at CDProjekt and what is currently harming GoG.

Hot new managers who are so high of their own supply that they cannot even consider the possibility of being wrong on anything.
Pardon the boomer reference, but this is basically the majority of what Kitchen Nightmares show is about. Gordon coming in and telling the owner/manager that they are the ones in the wrong, not the customers or the staff(or some made up hate mob).

Last edited:

Denim Destroyer

Learned
A problem I have with GOG is how they take fixes from the community but will never update a game when the fixes they borrowed receive an update. Thief on GOG uses an old version of Newdark which won't work with some new fan missions. There is also the fact they use an outdated version of DOSbox but every digital storefront seems to be guilty of that.

I wouldn't even think of buying a game that didn't include an offline installer. I got Steam a hundred years ago to play CS 1.6 and to me it was just a necessary hurdle to enjoy multiplayer. As my interest in multiplayer waned, I don't see what could ever motivate me to get something like Steam. About "exclusive" titles, well... they're not so "exclusive" if I can find them on the high seas... particularly if they come with with added value in the form of no DRM or third party apps. Why would you ever do that to yourself? That's like having to give the librarian a blowjob to borrow books from the library. No thanks.

Besides, I'm the kind of weirdo to have a computer just for games/working and another for internet stuff. The gaming computer is disconnected, as that makes life a lot easier in many ways. I wonder if I'm the only one.

GOG is not perfect, but I've basically got hundred of games for an average of about 2 euros, most of them running out of the box and containing extras. Never had any problems with payment or servers. I realize I'm far from the average gamer, but FWIW I'm very glad for GOG. As long as there's at least one company catering to boomers like me, I'm sure to keep away from drugs and delinquency.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
WHAT!? I have to worry about checking out books now? So that hot librarian with the big rack is a he? Bloody hell? And now she.. er he wants bjs for books?
lusciousnet_lusciousnet_0001_1283724564.315x0.jpg

0WidBvq.jpg

Azdul

Magister
I reached out to them several times over the years and they told me it's not about obtaining the files, but securing the rights. Admittedly, the grunt intern answering customer e-mails might not know the ins and outs, but I have to wonder how hard it could be to offer a Big Mac and a coffee to whoever holds the rights to the Afrikaans audio for a 90s RTS.
For the games from 90's securing rights to different language versions is much harder than you think.

Publishers were not international conglomerates as they are now - they've usually operated in one country. And they knew that selling English version for equivalent of 50$ in most countries is a foolish endeavour. Doing a professional translation to sell less than 1000 copies also would be stupid.

They usually sold rights to the game to some local company - like a electronic shop or even supermarket chain, on condition that game will be translated to local language, and local company will take care of marketing. Flat fee, sometimes as low as 10 000 $ - was better than nothing for the publisher.

Because there was no per-copy license fee - local companies sometimes went out of their way to get as much as possible from the deal. Professional traslation, wide marketing campaign, deep discounts - making sure that anyone even remotely interested in the title will buy it. All agreements were signed under a local law - which varies greatly between the countries.

Publisher kept the rights for English version - but rights to national versions ended up in really strange places. I wouldn't be suprised if in some cases translating a game again would be easier than securing the rights to original translation.

Gaznak

Learned
I wonder if I'm the only one

You are not alone. I too have two different PCs, one for everyday online purposes, and another (WinXP!) - to play good old games. This latter one doesn't have an Internet connection at all, of course.

And I too was a big fan of GOG, that old GOG, but became more and more disappointed with their 'curated selection of games'(c) and overall marketing strategy. Moreover as for now I think I already have almost every game I want to have and play (more than 1200), so I can play 'em to death, and there's no need to buy/download any more. And new games are shit all the same.

Removal

Scholar
it's beyond messy from what I understand, especially the further you go back as individual rights holders die and the rights get transferred to family members who have to be hunted down and may not even realize they own the legal rights to some of these games/franchises. Or you have cases like Dune II, where the Herbert Estate refuses to allow anyone to touch it because they think it degrades the overall value of the "Dune" franchise and want people to not know about it.

Also sounds like a lot of the rights hunting was undertaken at an individual level at GoG rather than at a organization level

no-return

Educated
Codex Year of the Donut
The Galaxy client particularly has been a disaster and remains on my system solely as a background service for http://playnite.link to open and close as needed because it's still crashing constantly a year and a half later.
Why the fuck would you be using Galaxy to begin with? GOG's whole selling point was a simple, no-bullshit videogame distribution platform - no local client, no DRM, no auto/mandatory patches, you buy and then actually own a copy of your game. If you want Steam, just use Steam and put up with the consequences. CD Projekt should've never gone down the Galaxy rabbit hole.

I use GOG galaxy only to install and auto update. I make links to exe files manually and run them without GOG client.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
The Colony Ship betas are delivered straight to me via the Galaxy Client. It's the only use for it honestly for me.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
An old-school grognard isn't going to play G-Police or Dark Reign in English, that would defeat the point. You don't buy nostalgia products just to disregard what makes it a nostalgic experience in the first place.
Wat. I personally know precisely one classic game which has hands down better potato localization than the original version (which is also made even more impressive by the fact that the original is actually very good). Your country either has the best loc providers in the world or you're highly overvaluing this.

don't rly understand the worship of GOG for taking games that were already available everywhere and repackaging them with dosbox
I'm usually the first to criticize gog for shitiness and/or laziness of their releases, but they did make some good and classic games that were p much impossible to run properly available and functional. Chaos Gate and Wizards&Warriors, for example.

Narushima

Cipher
don't rly understand the worship of GOG for taking games that were already available everywhere and repackaging them with dosbox
You know, I used to disagree with that, but I changed my mind recently.
Most of the time the rights to these old games have been transfered 15 times during fire sales and are now owned by a company that had nothing to do with its creation in the first place. There's no reason they should profit from it.
"Games preservation" is not a valid argument, since those games used to be more widely available before, now you can only purchase them from one source.

Gaznak

Learned
Wizards&Warriors

It was not GOG.

http://www.jeffludwig.com/wizardswarriors/download.php

plus link to Russian old games forum, sorry. The solution(s) has been found in 2005 already.

https://www.old-games.ru/forum/threads/wizards-and-warriors.12971/

Chaos Gate

It was not GOG either. The solution(s) has been found in 2005 already-2. Link to Russian old games forum, sorry-2.

https://www.old-games.ru/forum/threads/warhammer-40-000-chaos-gate.10119/

GOG just makes (sells) repacks including (free) old fan fixes and (free) DOSBox.

Last edited:

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
So did you run those games from start to finish and can verify that they worked perfectly on win7 and above? Cause I would assume no and you're just quoting internets at face value.

I've spent a lot of time trying to run both using different solutions and workarounds found in different places. I was able to go past the cultist bug in the first CG mission, but the game would still bug out not long after. With WW, best I could do was to get it running p smoothly, but with fugly graphical artefacts. The gog releases work well with no issues out of the box.

Gaznak

Learned
The gog releases work well with no issues out of the box

All that GOG had to do is to adapt already existing free fan fixes to newer OSs. It's much easier a task than making fixes from scratch.

BTW, I still wonder why people that love and play mainly old games install new OSs. If one doesn't like dual-boot systems (I don't) it could be an even better solution to buy not the 'next-generation' smartphone but old desktop that could be top-notch in, say, 2005-2010. And it would be cheaper as well. And NO Win7 and newer, of course.

lightbane

Arcane
The decline of GOG is a shame indeed, as well as their bizarre curation selection. You won't see the niche mecha dungeon-delves games from say zwanzig_zwoelf here, but weird visual novels no-one cares about make the cut.
It would be glorious if somehow Rance games made it into GOG but not Steam, as the latter already had statements made that no Rance game would get to Steam, ever.

Ravielsk

Magister
It would be glorious if somehow Rance games made it into GOG but not Steam, as the latter already had statements made that no Rance game would get to Steam, ever.

It would be hilarious if GoG just became a dumping ground for all the verboten sex games from steam. Highly profitable too but somehow I doubt anyone at CDprojekt has enough foresight to see it as a viable business move. From what I read around 4chin they are still under the delusion that they can fix everything by crunching out another Witcher but this time with extra Skyrim in it. So I wouldn't hold my breath.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Twitch prime? Wtf is that?

Your Prime memberships includes unlimited streaming with Prime Video. Twitch Prime is Now Prime Gaming. Great games - free content.

People also search for
Get free games and in-game loot every month
:argh::roll::argh::roll::argh::roll::argh::roll::argh::roll::argh::roll:
Free 30-day trial. Just $12.99 per month after trial.
:argh::roll::argh::roll::argh::roll::argh::roll::argh::roll::argh::roll:

https://gaming.amazon.com
Prime Gaming

So, like the amazon books, music, etc etc; even if you have a PRIME account already they want to bilk more of your $$$$$ go figure.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom