Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Archquest Arena - tactical RPG with tabletop rules

Zeriel

Arcane
Lol holy shit that audio mastering. Looks great other than that. Looking forward to it.

The Avatar

Pseudodragon Studios
Developer
I never liked Grimrocks combat. Or any other blobber where you mindlessly smash the attack button. That is why I am trying to combine the best of both worlds here. As for how far along the game is, there is still a lot left to do. I am hoping for early access sometime next year.

Bastardchops

Augur
Patron
Looks alright but I think they should lose the screen shake that happens when your character hits an enemy.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Is this just a dungeon crawler or is there outside world with different dungeons and side quests ?

The Avatar

Pseudodragon Studios
Developer
Yes to outdoor areas, different dungeons and side quests.

pzqSmBm.png

a7naqvX.gif

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Ok that is pure incline then. Also it will be nice if there is a way to disable transition animations,it is painful to the eyes. You either go for a free mouse look and ditch the square based movement,like operencia and mm6-8. Or you make transitions smooth. Also the combat looks pretty good.

Darth Canoli

Arcane

Ok that is pure incline then. Also it will be nice if there is a way to disable transition animations,it is painful to the eyes. You either go for a free mouse look and ditch the square based movement,like operencia and mm6-8. Or you make transitions smooth. Also the combat looks pretty good.

This is painful, tile based is nice but smooth movement like in M&M 6-8 should be the standard, MM X shat the bed on this one, don't make the same mistake.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

This is painful, tile based is nice but smooth movement like in M&M 6-8 should be the standard, MM X shat the bed on this one, don't make the same mistake.
I agree,the genre peaked at MM 6-8,then it went downhill. Now people make just generic corridor dungeons and fill them with random enemies and call it blobber. Operencia and Bard's tale were ok, you should check them out,tho they have their problems.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1664450/view/5148163999414367283

Development Log #2
August Update
First off, thanks to those who have played and given feedback on the first demo released in June. Aside from a few bugs, the response has been mostly positive.

In the few months since then, much has changed with Archquest.

More clarity has been added to combat with the addition of square reach visualization and threatened square visualization. Threatened squares(shown in red) indicate if you would receive an Attack of Opportunity if you move within it.

1b8eccf5dd96bf249ee7b00ef0c69ca89fd8b24b.png

This might sound simple enough- just draw a square to everywhere a player can reach. But that means pathfinding to each square in a potential area, which turned out to be far too slow with the existing system when you have tens or hundreds of potential squares. So, to make this happen, the pathfinding and grid system was rewritten completely. The result is an optimized multithreaded system where we can find 100+ paths in a few milliseconds. This will be useful in the future when AI is worked on, as each potential square can be evaluated to find the 'best' move.

There have been some other additions too. Flanking has been implemented, along with flanking indicators. Difficult terrain has been implemented. We have a new creature called a "Gutlock" which lurk in the waters and raid unsuspecting coastal towns.

d29862f5aea11f87f06a90bc6ef64a620ba503e2.png

Finally, the first town the player encounters, Harborside, is being fleshed out with NPCs and encounters.

That's all for now. Stay tuned next time for a look at the encounter, dialog, and scripted sequence system.

Last edited by a moderator:

Denim Destroyer

Learned
I played through the demo and aside from a few technical problems expected this early on in development my overall experience was nice. To echo earlier comments in the thread: having smooth walking like in the latter Might & Magic games would be nice. The current system can get a little disorienting. Overall the demo shows a good foundation so this will most likely be a day one purchase from me. By the way do you plan on increasing the in game viewport or is the current one final?

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I played this one blobber that was a win 3.1 that had just god awful corridors. I could never tell when to turn and hallways could blow right past you. Kind to think of it, Death Bringer had assholish corridors and let's not talk of Axe if Rage (Barbarian 2). Geting lost is easy until you finally memorize the whole thing and even then...

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yes to outdoor areas, different dungeons and side quests.

pzqSmBm.png

a7naqvX.gif
By the way am I the only one who finds the outdoor view and the indoor one to clash somewhat? I can't quite put my finger on it but it seems like the indoor one has the cel shaded somewhat cartoon like surface while the outdoor one does not.

Koschey

Arcane
By the way am I the only one who finds the outdoor view and the indoor one to clash somewhat? I can't quite put my finger on it but it seems like the indoor one has the cel shaded somewhat cartoon like surface while the outdoor one does not.

Might be because you can see the black outlines of objects more clearly in the indoor view animation, in the outdoor view image the black outlines still seem to be there, but are hard to make out since all visible objects are so far away (look at the bucket and well, the carriage or the fence for example).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom