Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Thief TDP turns 23 today!

Lemming42

Arcane
Best stealth game of all time, but on a recent replay I was surprised by how much I didn't enjoy the zombie levels, which I'd previously liked. Bonehoard is good and a nice change of pace after two sneaky levels, but I'm confused as to its reputation these days as a pinnacle of level design. Haunted Cathedral just pissed me off.

Bafford's Manor, Cragscleft Prison, Assassins and The Sword are all absolutely untouchable though, just outstanding design.

Blutwurstritter

Learned
Best stealth game of all time, but on a recent replay I was surprised by how much I didn't enjoy the zombie levels, which I'd previously liked. Bonehoard is good and a nice change of pace after two sneaky levels, but I'm confused as to its reputation these days as a pinnacle of level design. Haunted Cathedral just pissed me off.

Bafford's Manor, Cragscleft Prison, Assassins and The Sword are all absolutely untouchable though, just outstanding design.
It can help to revert the order when replaying Thief 1 and 2. The zombie levels are a nice for a change after mostly "normal" levels.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Almost had an aneurysm because of the reskinned T2 models being used in T1
crazyrobot.gif
but the developer interviews were interesting and reaffirm how special and unique LGS really was.

Curratum

Surprised Tim Stellmach still has the guts to put his mug on there after being lead designer on Underworld Ascendant as well.

Riskbreaker

I pledged to that bloody thing's KS. One of these days I'll force myself to actually try it. It's sitting there, in my steam library, staring at me.
Good lord, I was even hoping they'd get to work on some sort of Thief-like stealth game after Ascendant or even on a Thief game given that Square was peddling its dormant Eidos IPs to smaller devs around that time.

Ash

Arcane
If only TLG was still around.
They'd probably be producing COD DLCs or some other inane rubbish like that. Honest question, can you name a studio at least as old as TLG operating today that didn't devolve to shit? :negative:

From Software is the only one. Except for them it was the opposite curve. they started out quite mediocre and every one of their games I played was mediocre for decades until Dark Souls came along. Even when they were shit I think their heart was in the right place, it just took them two decades to figure out good game design, somehow.

Otherwise no, every long-term studio became greasy slimy decline cunts.

While we're on the subject: Looking Glass alumni were some of the earliest decline sellouts. As soon as LGS fell or it was clear they were going nowhere they splintered and collectively made decline incarnate: Deus Ex Invisible War (Smith, Spector), Bioshock (Levine), Tomb Raider: Legend (Church), The Xbox (Blackley), became a Zynga executive (Neurath). Always ahead of the curve, they were some of the earliest to soullessly sellout with retard-tier content.

Silva

Arcane
If only TLG was still around.
They'd probably be producing COD DLCs or some other inane rubbish like that. Honest question, can you name a studio at least as old as TLG operating today that didn't devolve to shit? :negative:

From Software is the only one. Except for them it was the opposite curve. they started out quite mediocre and every one of their games I played was mediocre for decades until Dark Souls came along.

Otherwise no, every long-term studio became greasy slimy decline cunts.
While I agree From is the last of the mohicans, I think they were incline before Souls, with that first person series which name I forgot.

Ash

Arcane
Kings Field. It had its heart in the right place (i.e isn't sellout shit like most these days of course), but a lot of flaws and mediocre design, and comparing it to Ultima Underworld and Arx Fatalis is laughable.
They also ruined Tenchu series as soon as they took it over from Acquire, which I will never forgive them for. At least it wasn't the same disgusting fate Thief received from Square Enix and Eidos Montreal though.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I tried one of their mech games (forgot what the series was called), and it wasn't bad, but the controls gave me nightmares (my mistake for using the original control scheme instead of exploiting the capability of the PS emulator to come up with a better control system).

Ash

Arcane
Yeah none of their games were bad, just weren't exactly good either, let alone exceptional.

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
While we're on the subject: Looking Glass alumni were some of the earliest decline sellouts. As soon as LGS fell or it was clear they were going nowhere they splintered and collectively made decline incarnate: Deus Ex Invisible War (Smith, Spector), Bioshock (Levine), Tomb Raider: Legend (Church), The Xbox (Blackley), became a Zynga executive (Neurath). Always ahead of the curve, they were some of the earliest to soullessly sellout with retard-tier content.
Can't forget that a few of the best OMs in Thief 2 were made by the same guy who eventually became the arbiter of decline at Bethesda and shat out Fallout 3 and 4 (Emil Pagliarulo).

Divinity: Original Sin
I want to play Thief for the first time ever in 2022, preferably on gamepad and on a decent resolution.

Where do I start? I checked The Dark Mod but the Thief campaign isn't ported over.

EDIT: I'm following this https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=113158282

Stay away from the HD texture mod (one may try on a second playthrough) . Use the T2 style option of TFix. If you want HD textures, you can try the upscale ESRGAN versions.

https://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149825

And ideally, play on expert difficulty. Don't use a gamepad. Game is made for Keyboard-Mouse.

The Dark Mod is more like a thief spiritual successor, it's not supposed to use any original thief assets/lore, to avoid copyright infringement.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom