Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic What is the most overrated cRPG on the codex?

Sranchammer

Arcane
Vatnik
Honestly Arcanum is a massive turd, nearly everything about is is clunky and combat is poke your eyes out levels of bad,. The only thing it has going for it is the setting and muh playthrough variety.

I'd challenge you to mutual combat if I were black.

PEACH

Arbiter
Alpha Protocol is some of the worst popamole I've ever sat through.

Some people would give getting shot in the dick with a nailgun a good review if they could choose the nails.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Alpha Protocol is some of the worst popamole I've ever sat through.

Some people would give getting shot in the dick with a nailgun a good review if they could choose the nails.
Was about to say that

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Wrath of the Righteous :smug:

Because
:whiteknight::codexisforindividualswithgenderidentityissues::whiteknight:

I honestly believe that the ridiculous power creep is a worse problem of wrath than the sjw bs. "but you like high level". Yes. I love NWN1Hotu and NWN2MoTB but a archdevil is the final main antagonist in NWN1 hotu and you need to do a lot of quests to even have a fighting chance. You fight dozens of demon lords and archdevils in pfwotr in chapter 4/5/6 to the point that they are just another monster. I would love if OwlCat adapts a AP which ends around lv 15. That is not low level. Come on, Adult Red Dragons are CR 13 and Dark Sun : Wake of the Ravager has lv cap = 15.

Last edited:

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Poles havent made single good RPG in last 10 years. Russians and Czechs are incline bringers. Poles are try hard wanna be Americans of the East. Polish women are ok

Sjukob

Arcane
Morrowind is easily the most overrated game ever, not just here on Codex, but in general.

The only good things about it are it's concept and pretty decently done world. Everything else is just bad.

It's amusing to see it's fans furiously arguing about lore, hidden meanings, other games in the series and whatever else on the internet, trying to prove something to each other. I guess it's more fun to engage in forum wars than actually trying to play their beloved game.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Morrowind is very amazing and immersive. I loved it but I agree that is a bit overrated.

Now the most underrated RPG is IMO Dark Sun : Wake of the Ravager.

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
Was gonna say Morrowind but Sjukob beat me to it. I enjoy following directions and it's cool slowly becoming a god but Morrowind has a lot of issues. Bethesda is so bad at storytelling that the games interesting story is more interesting when a friend tells you about it or you read it on a wiki than the story actually is in game, and the interesting lore is very poorly conveyed imo. The npcs are extremely lifeless, with an even more wiki-like feel than Daggerfall. And they removed dynamic music for some reason, splitting the soundtrack into "outdoors," and "dungeons," whereas Daggerfall had a legitimate dynamic music system. It's not a bad game but definitely overrated, imo a large part of why it's viewed so well is because the next 2 games are highly casualised, but TES games have always been casual relative to the other games at the time. As deeper RPGS have been making a comeback I expect the next Bethesda games to be somewhat deeper as well, although still ultimately accessible.

I think Planescape is sort of overrated too. It's very well written but the game falls off a cliff halfway through and ends up designed like Throne of Bhaal but with bad combat. I was very surprised when I first played Planescape because the prevailing narrative was that you could talk through most of the game and only needed to do a couple fights. This however assumes that you literally run past every enemy in the game, so I blame rpg fans for false advertisement. Still better than Disco Elysium though.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Alright, bitches, if no one's gonna do it, I will.

I stand my ground: I think that The Codex, for the most part, hold each other in check, and holds each RPG in scrutiny in such a way that there IS no RPG that is overrated.

In fact, I dare say, that the mere concept of any active participants letting others tout an RPG as better than it actually is, is beyond comprehension.

:whiteknight:

And so in front of this test I will not waver: I trust my bros to tell me if what RPG I like is bad, and why.

:whiteknight:

DemonKing

Arcane
I'll probably go with Plansecape Torment it seemed like more of a book than a game to me.

Arcanum's combat was also so laughably clunky it was hard to appreciate the rest of the game that was pretty decent.

The Temple of Elemental Evil managed to mix probably the best turn-based implementation of the D&D ruleset ever with mind-numbingly repetitive encounter design. I think I must have rendered the entire bugbear race extinct with my two playthroughs...

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
My first playthrough of PST was as a fighter and I had a lot of combat. I did a playthrough years later as a mage with high int/wis or w/e and it let me skip a ton of combat.
To some degree I wonder what percent of "PST doesn't have combat" is influenced by meta-gaming. Maybe it would have been less of a deal if there were more player class options?

Guess I'll recommend the opposite then: Do a playthrough of PST as a fighter with mediocre int/wis.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Pretty much most modern cRPGs are overrated as fuck, or they cargo cult Baldur's Gate, or they cargo cult Fallout, or they cargo cult XCOM, now some are even cargo cults of second generation by cargo culting what are already cargo cults, yeah sure, people can take a dump on old games as much as they want, they were buggy, unfinished and some got close to be visual novels but boy... I never complained about lack of originality. I feel like I played Fallout 1 and Baldur's Gate a few times already.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Planescape Torment being the #1 RPG on this site shows we have a long way to go. A very long way.

Fallout 1 is a decent-good game and that is all it'll ever be no matter how much you smack its fat cockhead on your eager tongue.

Here's the thing: I like FO1 overall. I think any game that lets you talk the final boss to death or a victory condition is really gay but the game itself is fine and has the best atmosphere of any Fallout. What I find the most insufferable are its gormless dickriders. It has this Dark Soulsian effect where the game itself is fine but because it has so many blind bitches ready to eat its asshole at a moments notice makes you start to dislike it by association.

And let's call it out, Fallout 1 on this site may as well be the brofist button. You could make a post saying you love gay marriage, you support transsexuals, you collect funko-pops, you love furbabies/your cats, all that. You could say the most vile things along those lines BUT if you put at the end of your post "I love Fallout 1. Arguably the best RPG of all time. Fucking amazing and life-changing game." you're gonna get brofists, four agrees and a friendly from Sukhavati. It's like you made a really fucking dumb post but because you seasoned it with a Fallout 1 praise then it's redeemable and you get a free pass.

I've said it once and I'll say it again: Fallout 1 on the Codex is going into a stadium and saying you hope the hometown team whoops ass in the game tonight. It's a cheap pop.

So you know what? Fallout 1, you're a cool game. Twenty years ago a real cool game. I like you. But fuck you. You're dogshit and if better games gotta go through burning coals of scathing judgment so does your monkey ass. I'm glad Todd Howard saved Fallout as a franchise because otherwise it'd be in the same limbo hell as Vampire the Masquerade.

What do you think about that? Hey... hey... flicks toothpick I'm talking to you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
ELEX.

Gameplay is boring and unbalanced as hell, world is empty and boring, story is boring, all the women have the same ugly potato face.

Do you sincerely believe that e(le)xaggerated ELEX cult is not tongue-in-cheek?

Back on topic, the high praises Shadowrun games get always seemed strange to me.
Everything made by Harebrained looks and plays like shit intended for mobiles. They even managed to fuck up Battletech.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom