Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RTS Falling Frontier - a hard sci-fi game, combining RTS and simulation elements

Norfleet

I assume he means Legend of the Galactic Heroes, and yes it does have a remake.
I don't know what that means, but I'm going to hazard a guess, based on the fact that this is a space game thread, that this is a space game of some kind, and the fact that I have never heard of it means it must be weeb filth.

L'ennui

Magister
It's an anime focusing on galactic-level politics and military strategy, with some interesting characters driving the plot. Kinda like Game of Thrones but in spaaaace and without any supernatural bullshit, highly recommended even if you don't like weird Japanese stuff.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
I don't know what that means, but I'm going to hazard a guess, based on the fact that this is a space game thread, that this is a space game of some kind, and the fact that I have never heard of it means it must be weeb filth.
Weeb filth: yes.
Game: no.

Norfleet

It's an anime focusing on galactic-level politics and military strategy, with some interesting characters driving the plot. Kinda like Game of Thrones but in spaaaace and without any supernatural bullshit, highly recommended even if you don't like weird Japanese stuff.
However, I am not a weeb like you, so I'll pass.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
However, I am not a weeb like you, so I'll pass.
It is still a great epic series, with some focus on tactical moves sometimes (and at other times, on the task force commander going banzai, and giving a +200% damage boost to his ships...).

I actually started watching the movies and series because of this thread (never heard of the series before) and I HATE Magna weeb shit usually but I actually have enjoyed the series so far, started with 'a sea of stars' or something, which is a movie..

that same channel has the next movie in the series too I think

Norfleet

That still image looks almost surprisingly normal. But them Japs are sneaky buggers, I betcha there's a schoolgirl and a squid in there any second now.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
That still image looks almost surprisingly normal. But them Japs are sneaky buggers, I betcha there's a schoolgirl and a squid in there any second now.

Nope. I watched a couple dozen episodes. It was normal, even Western values-wise. In the end it got too samey with each plot hooks and turns of events.

When was the last time something marked as hard scifi turned out to be as such?

Endemic

Arcane
Nope. I watched a couple dozen episodes. It was normal, even Western values-wise. In the end it got too samey with each plot hooks and turns of events.

Yoshiki Tanaka, who wrote the book series it was based on, was more concerned about politics than logistics (the televised series actually expands on the books, hence its gargantuan length).

Anyway, back on topic - Falling Frontier is a one man project so I'd advise tempering your expectations. Todd's website doesn't even support HTTPS :P

Blutwurstritter

Learned
The series from 1988 is good. In particular the contest of democracy and monarchy on a galactic scale is explored in an interesting way and comes without rose tinted glasses for democracy, which is a rarity. Its a pretty unique series covering politics and warfare, only the "soap opera" parts are a bit tedious. Its been a while that I've watched it but I don't recall any tentacles or the like, the art is grounded and normal.

Back on topic:

The game looks gorgeous, I hope the gameplay keeps up with it. When they say possible release 2022, do they mean full release or early-access?

ropetight

Savant
Falling Frontier will be closest thing to RTS Expanse we will get in a close future.
  • One man team from Australia, 3 years in development.
  • Game will be focused on logistics and supply lines needed for your stations and colonies to function.
  • Second bit of focus is "stellar shadows" - recon and stealth based on hiding behind planets and objects

• All Ships and objects have some physics applied to them - mass, inertia, spin
  • Ship layouts are modifiable with modules and weapon/equipment slots
  • Crew training is present - only the specialization needed for work on systems is shown by now
  • Place of action is Sol System, ships are not serial production effort - game will be more focused on fights of small task forces than fleet swarms
  • Tech tree has terraforming and some interaction with planet surfaces is shown
  • The more I look at the graphics and design, the more unbelivable this game is
  • Positional sound effects
  • Zoom is logarithmic and more fluid in latest update - so lots of tinkering is still happening

Last edited:

ropetight

Savant
  • Close tactical combat footage - looks fantastic.
  • Rotating ship for braking maneuvers with main engine is shown
  • Time slowing (similar to bullet-time) for issuing commands is used instead of RTwP
  • Particle/beam weapons looks a bit faster than railguns
  • CIWS angle management
  • Some kind of barrier/shield effect is used

Last edited:

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
It's worse. One of main pro-democracy characters is trying to excuse alcoholism. "Alcohol is a friend, would you betray a friend?"

• Close tactical combat footage - looks fantastic.
  • Rotating ship for braking maneuvers with main engine is shown
  • Time slowing (similar to bullet-time) for issuing commands is used instead of RTwP
  • Particle/beam weapons looks a bit faster than railguns
  • CIWS angle managament
  • Some kind of barrier/shield effect is used

wow, that is so bad ass, I had to stop watching a couple times or I might have coomed in my pants.

ropetight

Savant
  • Ships showing all details of configuration on models
  • Highly-detailed hit boxes and armor penetration, rail guns pass through mutliple systems
  • Solar system, planets and ships have realistic dimensions (!?!)
  • Critique of impatience of guys calling for immediate release of unfinished game
  • Mars, Titan and Earth factions

ropetight

Savant
New stuff from video below:
  • Crew can be saved from destroyed ship escape pods; enemy crew can be captured and interrogated(?) from similar source
  • Expanding the colonies - upgrading existing ones or founding new ones with colony ships
  • Invading enemy colonies with planetside batallions and reducing the resistance with orbital bombardment (stylized vector graphics used for display of invasion)
  • Colonies "produce" citizens; some of them apply for military; needs to be balanced with tax producing citizens
  • Military personnel can get promoted to officers, which can be trained to specilaize in being captain, navigator, engineer or gunnery officer
  • Mining fuel and ore, which are then processed into food, ammunition and other supplies; supply ships that extend the range of your fleet are mentioned
  • ammo is single pool, missiles spend more "ammo"
  • maps traversable with "jump drive" (FTL) or just regular engines (but then it can take days); FTL jumps are visible to your enemy
  • logistics are somewhat simplified - cargo ships are automatically "created" with cargo orders on stations; supply ships are manually produced
  • one of the tactics is of course weakining of enemy supply chain
  • intel and recon is done with probes
  • release, planned for this year, will be Early Access with one complete campaign "act"
  • scenario editor is planned further down the road

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
  • Crew can be saved from destroyed ship escape pods; enemy crew can be captured and interrogated(?) from similar source
  • Expanding the colonies - upgrading existing ones or founding new ones with colony ships
  • Invading enemy colonies with planetside batallions and reducing the resistance with orbital bombardment (stylized vector graphics used for display of invasion)
  • Colonies "produce" citizens; some of them apply for military; needs to be balanced with tax producing citizens
  • Military personnel can get promoted to officers, which can be trained to specilaize in being captain, navigator, engineer or gunnery officer
  • Mining fuel and ore, which are then processed into food, ammunition and other supplies; supply ships that extend the range of your fleet are mentioned
  • maps traversable with "jump drive" (FTL) or just regular engines (but then it can take days); FTL jumps are visible to your enemy
  • logistics are somewhat simplified - cargo ships are automatically "created" with cargo orders on stations; supply ships are manually produced
  • release, planned for this year, will be Early Access with one complete campaign "act"

I guess I wanna know that this does better than Starsector besides look pretty.

ropetight

Savant

I guess I wanna know that this does better than Starsector besides look pretty.

That is a tall order, Starsector simulates much more and is developed for years.
But if Falling Frontier gets solid gameplay with all this eyecandy, it will be great.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Quite apart from the amazing production values, the guy has an eye for spaceship design too. I'm trying to keep a lid on my hype for this, but it's hard :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom