Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

Codex Year of the Donut
Not multiplayer, but the quest where you're with Keira was pretty good and made me wish more of the quests had someone accompanying you. The AI worked fine, seemed like they put a lot of effort in for something so underused.

Gargaune

Magister
So let me see if I've got this right:

- They're going to be releasing a "next-gen version" of the game alongside patch 1.5, right?
Patch 1.5 is the "next-gen version."

- This "next-gen version" is going to enhance visuals and game systems, in other words, bring the game back to the state it was when it was first released, right?
mystery.png

- There aren't going to be any actual expansions to the game until after 1.5 / "next-gen" / Back-to-the-Beginning is released, which means some time in 2022, right?
[rainbow.jpg]

- And we have no idea whether or not the current team working on the game is even capable of doing any of this without fucking the game up even more than it is, right?
Unfortunately, we do have an idea...

What an unmitigated disaster. Even Star Citizen is starting to get its shit together. Imagine not being able to compete with STAR FUCKING CITIZEN!
rating_negativeman.png

I like how everyone ignored that apparently The Witcher 3 is getting multiplayer...
We are trying to ignore that...

but rockstar makes all that money because they have a fanatic fanbase a whole bunch of morons
Fix'd.

lycanwarrior

Scholar
I mean, has anyone ever asked for it?

CDPR cares about gta online money. They follow path i already mentioned many times before. Aka we do everything competition does one tier lower when it comes to scummery. When competition will partition completely campaign into several purchases they will gladly sell you campaign to already bought game as one piece riding that higher than thou horse. When competition will introduce even more chopped up campaign then CDPR will introduce "only 5 purchases for campaign". That is their modus operandi.

It is not coincidence that Gwent was released. It was not some love project because in game gwent was amazing (it wasn't really because of game itself) but because they saw heartstone numbers and decided to get some of that money. CEOs also have huge hard on for chinese market.

CDPR isn't alone in this. Any company that grows will follow decline path. Larian, CDPR, Betsheda, Bioware, GGG, Digital Extreames and so on. Because at some point people at the helm start to care about making shitload of money rather than making games they want. When they have to pick next project they no longer work with "i want to make this game" but "ok these are the targets i want to hit when it comes to money what game i can make in those targets"

Good example of that is C77. Initial game design was known to be some kind of isometric mish mash, they did try to implement actually PnP etc. lead designer talked in interviews how they will be changing some of the classes, improving balance etc. But then Witcher 3 happened and they got shitload of money and fame and thus they scrapped this and instead made wither with guns as game was developed heads also seemed to try to capitalize on GTA crowd with PR campaign for that extra loot. And they did achieve what they wanted. Game sold 13mln copies at 60$ day1 which is more than 20mln tw3 over who knows how many bargains deals. They are set for easily next 6-10 years with that kind of money (rough math says $234mln which with polish dev costs is something like 1$Bln in US).

There is a reason why greatest works of art are made by people who are struggling.

Money (or the love of money) is the root of all evil :hmmm:

Perkel

Arcane
Good example of that is C77. Initial game design was known to be some kind of isometric mish mash

Cyberpunk 2077 was never isometric, the earliest prototype in 2012 (done in Witcher 2 engine) was first person.

This was talk from lead designer around c77 annoucement. I don't think there is any source that C77 was on TW2 engine as fpp prototype. Back then from interviews game was literally in design phase.

1.5 is probably what 1.0 should have been

1.0 is what 1.0 should have been. On PC it was completely fine, sure some bugs, mostly graphical ones but nothing big. The issue is that some people expected it to be GTA game rather than Witcher with guns. I finished game 3 times on release and never once i thought to start mowing down civilians or fight with police because there wasn't anything in game that wanted me to do that.

Game starts to have issues when you instead of playing like witcher you start playing it like GTA. To me for example police design wasn't really poor scripting but more like design decision: "don't fuck with police" much like Thief guards are lethal because developers didn't intended player to be doing what duke nukem does. You are supposed to be mercenary not mass murderer or something same way in Witcher 3 they dissalowed you from killing shitload of people and guards were waaaaaaay overpowered against you.

Expanding on NPC behaviors and adding more scripts to police won't change game at all. Gang affiliation and other ideas presented here also isn't something they even planned because game is about mercenary in NC not some dude looking to join a gang aka GTA.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

T.Ashpool

Self-Ejected
On PC it was completely fine, sure some bugs, mostly graphical ones but nothing big.

i don't know how low your standards for games are, personally i have never experienced a game where certain perks inside the skill tree flat out didn't work. same with certain gun/clothing mods that literally did nothing. then you had bugs like jackie walking through a closed elevator door which happens for everyone everytime during the first mission and to my knowledge hasn't been fixed to this day. i wouldn't call this fine, i think that's pretty severe.

Codex Year of the Donut
On PC it was completely fine, sure some bugs, mostly graphical ones but nothing big.

i don't know how low your standards for games are, personally i have never experienced a game where certain perks inside the skill tree flat out didn't work. same with certain gun/clothing mods that literally did nothing. then you had bugs like jackie walking through a closed elevator door which happens for everyone everytime during the first mission and to my knowledge hasn't been fixed to this day. i wouldn't call this fine, i think that's pretty severe.
small indie dev with a tiny budget, please understand

DeepOcean

Arcane
1.0 is what 1.0 should have been.
Nigga, the game got stuck three times in a row on the chase scene with Jackie, Jackie just passed through an elevator door like a ghost every time, got stuck inside Panam's head, deleting my clothing mods and they wouldnt disappear from the inventory, got a bug that prevented me from firing my gun and almost gave up on it, pretty much all end talents didnt work, cars failed their algorithms and frequently caused random bizarre crashes with the scenery and other cars that ended on explosions, the antialiasing of the game was fucked and cause an annoying blurry effect no matter what setting I chose and I could only fix by increasing the sharpness outside the game. Also, the police was appearing right behind me on the top of skyscrappers the moment I killed someone.

This isnt what I would call completely fine. If that is fine, Fallout 76 is also fine.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This was talk from lead designer around c77 annoucement. I don't think there is any source that C77 was on TW2 engine as fpp prototype.

Source is me :-P i worked at CDPR on REDengine at the time and saw it (it was very primitive, everything was made with flat shaded gray polygons, but it was about gameplay not graphics). When Miles Tost mentioned some time recently that Cyberpunk 2077 was originally first person he most likely meant that prototype since very soon later it was changed to third person (i remember being disappointed after reading that internal mail since i like FPP more for games like that). I think it was mentioned in some earlier interviews a bit before the game was released too.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
LoL even PC gamer is telling the truth.

https://www.pcgamer.com/a-year-late...ugs-but-still-feels-like-its-in-early-access/

All in spoiler if you don't want to click that link.

As I sat down at my PC on December 10, 2020, I had big plans. I was going to start playing Cyberpunk 2077 as a Corpo—my version of V would be young, driven, and privileged—a ruthless company techbro. I carefully designed my character with a tidy hairstyle, no tattoos, and minimal cyberware.

I figured as I progressed through the game and fell deeper and deeper into the violent underworld of Night City, I'd alter my appearance. My hairstyle would get shaggier and wilder. I'd slowly add tattoos and more severe cyberware to my face and body. My character's looks would reflect his life. You know. Roleplaying.

That was the plan. But it became clear almost immediately I wouldn't be able to do anything like that.

Cyberpunk 2077 at launch
The Corpo lifepath in Cyberpunk 2020 was absurdly brief—I walked around an office for a bit, clicked a few things on my desk, got a wad of cash and a shady assignment from my boss, and then met my old friend Jackie in a bar—where I was immediately fired from my job and severed from my corporate contacts. That was it? That was the Corpo lifepath option I'd heard about so much in the pre-launch buildup to the game? It's hard to call something a path if you run into a brick wall after a single step.

An even shorter cutscene showed my character descending into a life of violent crime—the sort of thing I wanted to experience myself rather than sit there watching. A few minutes into the game I was, essentially, a Street Kid, the lifepath I deliberately didn't choose. And more bafflingly, I could forget about changing my looks to mirror my new lifestyle. There were no character customization options once I began playing. I couldn't alter my appearance or add tattoos. In a game about becoming whoever you want, I couldn't even change my nail polish color once I'd picked it.

That was a lot of disappointment to experience in the first 20 minutes of one of the most hyped and highly-anticipated games ever. And the Corpo lifepath I'd chosen felt like it rarely came into play over the next 20 hours. There were some dialogue options, one or two Corpo-related choices to make during quests, and one side-mission late in the game which was more of a quick encounter. The disappointments didn't end there.

Glitches in the Matrix

Bugs. Everywhere there were bugs. The first time I stepped out of V's apartment and into the streets of Night City, I just stood and stared. I should have been gawping at the city itself, but instead I was drawn to a street corner where each and every car that turned down the block plowed into the same concrete barricade. Doors were torn off, glass shattered, bumpers bent and crumpled, and drivers shouted expletives as they sped off in their ruined cars.

Most of the bugs I experienced in my first playthrough of Cyberpunk 2077 weren't major. There were one or two that actually prevented me from progressing and required a reload of my last save, which is always irritating. But it really wasn't the individual bugs themselves that were the issue. It was the overwhelming number of them. In every mission—that's not an exaggeration, it was every single mission—at least a few things would go wrong. A character would repeat the same line of dialogue over and over from start to finish or T-pose during a dramatic moment. A weapon would wind up sticking out of someone's face or an object would simply hover in midair. A notification would get stuck on the screen or someone would get stuck walking in midair or my car would get stuck in another car, flip upside down, and explode.

Every game has bugs and glitches, but they were inescapable in Cyberpunk 2077. It was a mess, and distracted heavily from interactions with interesting characters and what would otherwise be engrossing storylines.

Other issues weren't the result of bugs but systems that seemed incomplete at best or simply nonexistent at worst. It felt weird how quickly police would respond to a crime, and weirder how they'd prefer to run after your car than jump into their own to give chase, until it became obvious—they didn't possess the ability to follow you in cars and they responded so quickly because they were simply teleporting to a space a few feet behind you. In one mission where cops are specifically supposed to pursue me in cars, they did—until I briefly looked away from them. When I looked back, they'd vanished:

As the first few hours passed it became clear Cyberpunk 2077 wasn't just a buggy game. Cyberpunk 2077 was an unfinished game. There's a big difference.

CDP's response
Cyberpunk 2077 was a massive hit, with 13 million copies sold within 10 days across all platforms. It was also a major disaster, with backlash from unhappy fans and angry developers inside CD Projekt, a refund debacle, its removal from the PlayStation store, multiple lawsuits, and the rapid erosion of CDP's reputation.

The apologies began to arrive a few days after launch, with the studio first suggesting issues with AI were just bugs, which was obviously not the case, then doubling down by saying that pre-launch testing "did not show a big part of the issues," which was clearly bullshit. The game wasn't finished and everyone knew it. Our review recommended coming back in a few months to see if some of the major bugs had been fixed, but I personally felt it needed another two years of development. A couple patches weren't going to fix Cyberpunk 2077, because it didn't just need to be fixed, it needed to be finished.

Cyberpunk 2077's launch was a rotten situation on all sides. It was unfair to players who bought the game expecting it to be complete. It was unfair to the developers who worked for years and weren't allowed to take their game across the finish line before it was shipped. Cyberpunk 2077 was, and still is, an Early Access game. It just didn't say that on the box. It should have. It would have tempered expectations and no one would have felt cheated.

The patches began rolling out alongside repeated promises to make Cyberpunk 2077 whole. Stability, performance issues, and critical quest and game-breaking bugs were addressed first, along with a bizarre memory limit issue that was corrupting saved games over a certain size. Last-gen consoles, which bore the brunt of the problems, were naturally a big focus of patches and the game finally returned to the PlayStation store in June. I jumped back in to try it again on PC after the v1.2 patch, which was a whopping 32GB in size. I played a few hours, then quit because despite the patch addressing over 500 different issues, the game was still a huge mess. Even those cars I witnessed smashing into the barricade outside V's apartment on day one were still doing it. That was back in April. There was a long way to go, I wrote at the time. There still is.

Playing Cyberpunk 2077 today
I'm playing through Cyberpunk 2077 again now, almost exactly a year after launch. And it's honestly nice to be back. There are some excellent characters with interesting stories, and despite all the problems my first time around I truly enjoyed getting to know them and seeing their stories develop. There's some great dialogue (along with plenty that's terrible) and some truly excellent missions.

And I can, finally and definitely, see the difference a year of patches has made. I'm not getting anywhere near as many bugs as I did those first few weeks and the following several months. The cops still teleport when I get a warrant on V (they're a shade more subtle about it) and still won't chase me in cars, but I wasn't really expecting that to have improved. Maybe in 2022.

There's been an impressive amount of work done over the year, and it shows. An early quest where Jackie kept getting stuck midway through the level on my first run went perfectly smoothly this time, and looking through patch notes it appears dozens of other quest bugs have been squashed along with that one. I haven't been launched through the air while climbing ladders, something that happened regularly the last time I played, and notifications don't get stuck on my screen anymore.

I'm especially happy to see some quality of life changes, like fewer messages from fixers trying to sell me cars (this, and the rest of the near-constant phone call spam was a major irritant for me), the improved zoom level on the minimap so I don't miss turns while following the GPS, and the fact that open world NPCs now react differently to events instead of all crouching or running or exiting their cars in perfect unison, which was pretty immersion breaking.

I am, however, getting far more frequent crashes to desktop than I ever did. In about eight hours of playing, the game crashed five or six times. That's not great, especially since crashing was one problem I never really had originally (and I'm using the exact same PC). And I'm pretty pleased to report that the cars outside V's apartment no longer ram mindlessly into that barricade.

But like I said, bugs aren't the only problem. I still can't change my appearance after starting the game. The lifepaths still feel entirely pointless. And playing the game again I'm remembering other things I was excited about, like brain dancing, which turned out to be used only a few times to solve some low-level puzzles, and the fearsome Trauma Team, who show up… what, once? Twice? And have absolutely no other part in the game? Surely there was meant to be more of them.

I'd love to be writing a year later that it's a great time to be jumping back into Cyberpunk 2077. Apparently a lot of new players are having a great time. But honestly, if you've waited this long, I recommend waiting another year to see if more than just bugs get patched. A lot—but not nearly everything—has been fixed in a year, but making Cyberpunk 2077 whole will mean not just fixing what's broken but addressing what's lacking. I'm sure they'll eventually do the first part. I'm not so sure about the second. Maybe I'll try again next December.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
---{ PC Requirements }---
☐ Check if you can run paint
☐ Potato
☐ Decent
☐ Fast
☑ Rich boi
☐ Ask NASA if they have a spare computer
Fuck yeah, I'm a rich boi now! :obviously:

Seriously, do people assume that question means "to run it on super ultra while mining bitcoins in the background"? My toaster doesn't even qualify as "hot shit in Timbuktu" anymore and I could still run it on high. If I want my fans to sound like turbines that is. But it still looks pretty if I tone it down to "mostly high"...
Sheesh, kids these days. :hahano:

So, what are your specs? Worse than my 10 year old i5 with 8 GB DDR3 ram, shitty 5400 RPM HDD, and a 1070 GTX?
Ryzen 1700 smth or so, one of the first Ryzens, and a Radeon 570. Same 8gb and a classic HDD. Don't think it's (much) better than your toaster. Sad. #SmolBoi

But hey: "It just works." :hahano:

Bliblablubb

Arcane
While testing the variables, started a new game as SK and went for "hard" difficulty, thinking "maybe then I actually need perks. Ahaha nope.
Since enemies just get ridiculous amounts of bloat, it only gets hard in the very beginning, after that you just stack armadillo in those cheap golden clothing items every store now has, and just laugh in the face of danger.
But then there are the boxing fights. Still the same buggy mess with rubberbanding, uninterruptable attacks while clipping inside you. But now with tons of enemy and... barely any in you. Because CDPR changed base hp gain per level, to give people a reason to put points into body. Great!

But what made me give up was how "improving enemy detection" completely broke it for world spawns now. Not while sneaking indoors, then they are still heavily scripted to be blind as a mole. But "unscripted" enemies can see you now through any obstacle and heigth difference.
Every time I went to Victor, a Tyger Claw from 100 meter away on the other side of the market got into alert mode and started beelining for me while I listened to the preacher. Then danced around me doing nothing, because they are apparently scripted not to attack players in a dialog. :hahano:
If I get close to Lizzie's bar, the TKs from the basketball court, BEHIND another building come charging at me. Tyger sense tingeling!
Flacide didn't stay put in the cathedral either, he came down as well, breaking the intended 1on1 showdown.

All those patches and compared to 1.04 I only notice new things they broke. And the "hp regen in combat" perk STILL does not work. ONE perk, everyone will take. Is that so hard?

Funfact: remember the motorcycle near all foods you can get with a garage code from waaaaay later? After reading rumors CDPR randomized it to prevent players from getting it early, I wanted checked it out. Oh they changed something alright. They reactivated "remote disable" on the lock, so now you need NO code to get it anymore. :hahano:

I have no words to express my opinion about their... competence. Nothing they change ever gets tested.

tritosine2k

Erudite
Just get high on g-sank RTeethX , bro /s

Don't get seduced by your own stuff. Don't get high on your own supply. The hardest thing as a filmmaker is when you're watching a film that you've worked on for several years. You know every frame so intimately that holding lots of the objectivity of a new viewer who has just seen it for the first time is the hardest thing. Every aesthetic decision you make - and you make thousands of them every day, have to - in theory, must be done from you being a blank slate. You almost have to run a program, like a mind wipe, every time you watch the movie.

James Cameron

Tavar

Cipher
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Watching that video about 1.5 and beyond just leaves me with a big "meh".
A bunch of vague "system improvements", no confirmation of a DLC in 2022 and especially mentioned graphical improvements. Also multiplayer.
They are just going down the current playbook how to make the most moneyz off players with one game for years, a bit like Mass Effect 3 tried:
Consoletards love shiny. Make game more shiny for them so it becomes a "next gen game".
Multiplayer will keep them hooked for a year.
Then release a DLC to make them reinstall it again.
After that they will be happy with multiplayer again, using new things added with the DLC.

As a PC player that doesn't care for MP, I expect nuzzink from 1.5. TBH, there are no tacked on features that would make me replay it just because of.
Changing your looks or that of cars? Modders already fixed it. And what for? I used the Kusanagi bike if I wanted to go fast, and the MaiMai if I want to see the city as more than a blur rushing by.
There won't be any additions to lifepaths or the 6 months pro-prologue either. Too much effort needed.
Different appartments? There's already no reason to use the one you have. A while ago they already changed your car trunk to link with your appartment stash, instead of being a seperate one, dropping even the last reason.

The core problem will still be the hollow open world part in stark contrast to the cinematic missions, and that has so many fundamental problems they cannot fix. They even made it hollower. The game has been gradually dumbed down for the "I want everything rite nao" crowd. StreetCred limitations on implants are meaningless if it comes out of your ears after a few mainquests. Am I supposed to feel rewarded by getting a white implant from a gig if I already bought at least green earlier because money falls off the sky? Plus the vast amount "hand placed loot" they apparently didn't even know what it is. After rescuing Evelyn I had picked up 3 "physical damage" mods for the mantis blades they put in fixed crates. The blades COME with that mod, you cannot not have it! You can also only slot ONE rotor. I had 2 blue ones from the same room. That are just vendor trash worth 3 eddies, since you can just buy the gold version for a whooping 300 eddies. :argh:

But the one thing they should have done to give the open world a boost, they didn't. Level scaling. Let Street Kid start in Heywood ffs.
To avoid sequence breaking? Oh please, you get a lvl 10 encounter in Pacifica where Lenny's mother got killed in response for a gig you can't even do until 20 levels later. :roll:

...I'll be in my copium den. Sad.

Last edited:

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Am I supposed to feel rewarded by getting a white implant from a gig if I already bought at least green earlier because money falls off the sky?
is there mod allowing ripping implants off enemies, allowing some movie larping?

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Heh, LARPing as a soviet Scavver.
"All those implants go back to the motherland". :obviously:

Almost made me feel sorry for killing that guy. Now comrades at home have to live with low quality scrap. Even Nadeshda with her KGB issued stuff is not having a good time. Sad.

I for one would settle with a "only basic stuff on ripperdocs, rest is rewards" mod.
While trying to play with my usual open world "live off the land" house rule, I ended up pretty disappointed. I found a blue beserk implant in my inventory once, must've come from somewhere in Wakakoland, but aside from that... slim pickings.
No legs or arms (aside from the useless blue gorillas, only after smacking Flacide).

And my stronk immershun sense does not allow some Ripperdoc aside from Vic touch V. Especially not those who don't even have a chair. :hahano:

Edit: you can occasionally loot cybermods from enemies, eye and OS, I doubt they just carry those in there pockets...

Last edited:

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
The issue is that some people expected it to be GTA game rather than Witcher with guns. I finished game 3 times on release and never once i thought to start mowing down civilians or fight with police because there wasn't anything in game that wanted me to do that.

Game starts to have issues when you instead of playing like witcher you start playing it like GTA. To me for example police design wasn't really poor scripting but more like design decision: "don't fuck with police" much like Thief guards are lethal because developers didn't intended player to be doing what duke nukem does. You are supposed to be mercenary not mass murderer or something same way in Witcher 3 they dissalowed you from killing shitload of people and guards were waaaaaaay overpowered against you.

this must be one of the most retarded apologetic stance I've heard in a long time.

"you see, C77 is shit (but not really) because you play it wrong! C77 is just an interactive book with WASD controls to turn the page. Just stay in your lane and everything will be fine (and you'll like it. :| )!"

Perkel

Arcane
this must be one of the most retarded apologetic stance I've heard in a long time.
"you see, C77 is shit (but not really) because you play it wrong! C77 is just an interactive book with WASD controls to turn the page. Just stay in your lane and everything will be fine (and you'll like it. :| )!"

c77 doesn't support wheel or force feedback, its cars don't react realistically compared to something like forza motorsport, there is no way to keep your track time nor there is speedometer. C77 is poor game, i wanted to play racing sim game and C77 fails on all accounts.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom