Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPGs that fell short of greatness and should be remade

agris

Arcane
Patron
rusty_shackleford and Blutwurstritter yall are tool-bags, that BG2-in-DAO remake was horrendous. Prosperous. Fan remakes suffer from modderitis to the Nth degree. Not saying there are no good ones, source ports that get to completion tend to be the exception that proves the rule. Those take diligence and a technical know how beyond the average modder’s ken.

i don’t look out upon the world and see flawed gems that are waiting to be improved upon by fan remakes - which is the same outlook that I have for publisher-backed remakes. Regardless of the origination, they tend to be trash.

Codex Year of the Donut
rusty_shackleford and Blutwurstritter yall are tool-bags, that BG2-in-DAO remake was horrendous. Prosperous. Fan remakes suffer from modderitis to the Nth degree. Not saying there are no good ones, source ports that get to completion tend to be the exception that proves the rule. Those take diligence and a technical know how beyond the average modder’s ken.

i don’t look out upon the world and see flawed gems that are waiting to be improved upon by fan remakes - which is the same outlook that I have for publisher-backed remakes. Regardless of the origination, they tend to be trash.
You realize there's a complete 1:1 fan remake of the IE engine + IE games, right?
https://gemrb.org/

agris

Arcane
Patron

You realize there's a complete 1:1 fan remake of the IE engine + IE games, right?
Yep, which you failed to recognize and instead dogpiled likes on the cancerous bg2-in-dao fan remake. Also the gemrb source port is exactly in line with what I’ve said with source ports being the exception that proves the rule.

tldr; lame thread, you have no idea what you’re talking about and due to your ego, you chase whatever is flashy in support of your supposition regardless of if it makes sense in a broader context (ie fan remakes being the true hope).

Codex Year of the Donut

Yep, which you failed to recognize and instead dogpiled likes on the cancerous bg2-in-dao fan remake. Also the gemrb source port is exactly in line with what I’ve said with source ports being the exception that proves the rule.

tldr; lame thread, you have no idea what you’re talking about and due to your ego, you chase whatever is flashy in support of your supposition regardless of it makes sense in a broader context (ie fan remakes being the true hope).
I have no idea who you are or what you're even talking about tbh. You seem like some butthurt failed gamedev upset that all gamedevs are subhuman scum.

agris

Arcane
Patron

tldr; lame thread, you have no idea what you’re talking about and due to your ego, you chase whatever is flashy in support of your supposition regardless of it makes sense in a broader context (ie fan remakes being the true hope).
I have no idea who you are or what you're even talking about tbh. You seem like some butthurt failed gamedev upset that all gamedevs are subhuman scum.
Hey same here; I have no idea who you are or why I should care about 20k+ of your garbo opinions!

Cheers, keep chasing your tail.

edit: also, nope; no connection to game dev!

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
I prefer technical updates, like what Daggerfall Unity is to Daggerfall. (And even that can be worse in some ways, like the extremely fast movement speed making the game feel smaller and faster paced.) Fans are usually better at those than actual devs though. Even very faithful remakes like the Demons Souls one tend to lose something of the original.

Sykar

Arcane
with the possible exception of the Shadowrun trilogy

:hahano:
I'm serious. The Shadowrun trilogy is good for what it is. It has less wrong with it than PoE, D:OS, Wasteland 2, etc. Deadman's Switch could use a rework that fixes the whole "stay in combat until the end of the mission" thing, but I think it already has had a remake in the engine of Hong Kong or something. Yes, this is me outing myself as having the opinion the Shadowrun trilogy is the best offering from the Kickstarter era.

Pathfinder is easily better than Shadowrun by leaps and bounds. The amount of terrible dumbing down from the original rule set so nothing but a dried up barely standing husk remains is frankly flabbergasting. If it were not for atmosphere the games would have been irredeemable garbage.

Codex Year of the Donut
BG2-in-DAO remake
Eh? Only know the nwn one
There are Nexus releases, but this pieces captures a rusty-level embrace of fan pablum.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/gg/788-baldurs-gate-redux-mod-dragon-age-progress
"see this one bad fan remake?! It means they're shit!"
yea I can point to 100 that aren't shit you absolute tard, there's like 3 "professional" remakes that don't purposely butcher the source material lol

agris

Arcane
Patron
"see this one bad fan remake?! It means they're shit!"
yea I can point to 100 that aren't shit you absolute tard, there's like 3 "professional" remakes that don't purposely butcher the source material lol

better get to enumerating, autismo. Feel free to stop at 97, no need to beat a dead horse.

Codex Year of the Donut

RoksCQ

Novice
I would say all of them because even the classics are janky and have things that could be improved, not even including the graphics/sound side. But the one closest to my heart would be Everquest. That game was such a piece of insane shit and it's the best thing I ever played by far. But it was a fluke in my opinion. And the problem with a remake is that I doubt anyone could make sense of the great / terrible parts and balance it for a modern audience. I've never seen a developer even come close to understanding how to balance things like that.

The best thing Everquest did and it's developers should serve as rolemodels for is -- they allowed emergent gameplay to shape the game itself, and designed future expacs and so on around the way players strategized. Like how feign death pulling was something that just happened to work and became a main function, or kiting (brad admitted he didnt think about the sow / snare / dot / nuke combo working the way it did.)
Bravo to the Late Brad and team for recognizing emergent gameplay is what makes a sandbox mo brilliant.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
I could have been a contender...

- Stonekeep
-- I tried to like this game, but let's face it... Stonekeep was a failure, but an interesting failure. I could see it remade today as a party-based indie blobber like Legend of Grimrock, or as an action game with RPG elements with a larger budget from a bigger studio. It's a game that keeps coming up in discussions, so there is something charming there, but ultimately it just fails to be engaging.
Bah, your choice of girl-friends "just fails to be engaging". Stonekeep was little too much on the next-gen note when it came up, but Grimrock, EoB, Lands of Lore and Stonekeep drink gallons of mead in Valhalla together every day. AND they had had myriads of puns while watching your sex life the last time I paid them a visit :shittydog:

Last edited:

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I would say all of them because even the classics are janky and have things that could be improved, not even including the graphics/sound side. But the one closest to my heart would be Everquest. That game was such a piece of insane shit and it's the best thing I ever played by far. But it was a fluke in my opinion. And the problem with a remake is that I doubt anyone could make sense of the great / terrible parts and balance it for a modern audience. I've never seen a developer even come close to understanding how to balance things like that.

The best thing Everquest did and it's developers should serve as rolemodels for is -- they allowed emergent gameplay to shape the game itself, and designed future expacs and so on around the way players strategized. Like how feign death pulling was something that just happened to work and became a main function, or kiting (brad admitted he didnt think about the sow / snare / dot / nuke combo working the way it did.)
Bravo to the Late Brad and team for recognizing emergent gameplay is what makes a sandbox mo brilliant.

Yep! I think it also had more content than anyone expected, even the directors. There's a good video series with the original developers. The guy who made the spells was left to do whatever he wanted! So we could have got a game with hardly any magic, or just some basic nukes and heals. Instead the database had something like 1000 spells. And he made it so the spells had interesting interactions, like damage shields that harm attackers, or stealing armor class, memory wipe, area stuns, area rains that players can kill themselves with, etc.

MMOs suck once the mystery is gone and EQ having so much stuff and things for people to figure out, kept that mystery really strong! It helped the internet being new. MMOs these days have no mystery even on release, there are walkthroughs online from all the alpha/beta testers. :\

Last edited:

Blutwurstritter

Learned

I don't see what your problem is, I take the good and leave the bad. ToEE's has great combat and Icewind Dale is filled with combat, sounds like a good idea on paper to me. And more content for ToEE is always welcome irregardless of what it is based of. If you hadn't mentioned the BG2 remake I wouldn't even have known about it and that's how much I care about most of those projects.

Lagi

Savant
Serpent in The Staglands.

Wonderful intro, delicious vibe, fantastic premise, all dragged down by the fact that the world itself just isn't very interesting and combat is dull.

This!!
I want to love this game so much, but the moment Serpent in the Staglands force me to kill all the crop goblins outside the temple, i just lose any interest.

agris

Arcane
Patron

I don't see what your problem is, I take the good and leave the bad. ToEE's has great combat and Icewind Dale is filled with combat, sounds like a good idea on paper to me. And more content for ToEE is always welcome irregardless of what it is based of. If you hadn't mentioned the BG2 remake I wouldn't even have known about it and that's how much I care about most of those projects.
*pulls out a quest compass*

See that fan remake over there? You can download it. And play it, but it'll likely be trash.

See that professionally developed remake over there? You can download it, and play it. But it'll likely be trash.

Remakes aren't the answer, new games made by people whose lives do not revolve around video games are the answer. All our classics were made by people with diverse interests and backgrounds, many times historical and technical, and it made the fruits of their labors into the unique games that we cherish today. You don't remake that, you take that philosophy and push forward.

Instead, we have games made by people who only experience insular nerd-culture. They went to school for "game developers", or want to be writers and see games as a foot in the door. These people are your present day Obsidian, inXile, whatever. They produce middling nothing. We shouldn't be pining for remakes, that's pathetic. We should be asking for better games made by better people.

Last edited:

Blutwurstritter

Learned

*pulls out a quest compass*

See that fan remake over there? You can download it. And play it, but it'll likely be trash.

See that professionally developed remake over there? You can download it, and play it. But it'll likely be trash.

Remakes aren't the answer, new games made by people whose lives do not revolve around video games are the answer. All our classics were made by people with diverse interests and backgrounds, many times historical and technical, and it made the fruits of their labors into the unique games that we cherish today. You don't remake that, you take that philosophy and push forward.

Instead, we have games made by people who only experience insular nerd-culture. They went to school for "game developers", or want to be writers and see games as a foot in the door. These people are your present day Obsidian, inXile, whatever. They produce middling nothing. We shouldn't be pining for remakes, that's pathetic. We should be asking for better games made by better people.

Ask for both, problem solved ?

You do make some good points about the big picture in general but I doubt that remakes tie up all the genius developers, preventing the creation of the rpg revelation in the third millennium anno Domini. The problems/failures in developing new original games start elsewhere as you noted. The remake/remaster flood is just a symptom and I see no fault in trying to make the best out of it while we suffer the symptoms.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
The original Bard's Tale trilogy was just shy of greatness but was hampered by an unfairly balanced set of classes which made magic users the only real class worth having in mid/end game, due to enemy group size. With a few item tweaks and a minor balance pass for the classes, it would be an all-time great. It is still pretty awesome, mind, just not 100% there.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Sword of Aragon

Thanks to this thread, I bethought I wanted to play this gem for a long time.

BTW, why are names like Ironfist or Bracada on the screenshots??

Ah, one of my favorite Let's Plays that I finished. Brocada was a city you conquer. Someone might have named himself Ironfist in the example you saw, but I couldn't find the reference in my LP: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/sword-of-aragon-with-a-codexian-war-council.93069/

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom