Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic What is the most overrated cRPG on the codex?

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
ST is combat heavy you retards, its trashmob galore

the combat is shit, but there is a lot of it. literally trash mob after trash mob

Only retards who never played it compare it to Disco

Removing a feature is simply the next logical step after half assing its implementation due to considering it low priority. While its IE "brothers" BG and IWD considered combat to be the meat and potatoes of the game, PST put emphasis on its setting and writting. Here, just look at the back of the boxes:

150088-planescape-torment-windows-back-cover.png

What do we have here? Setting, story, party members, sentient items. Not a single line or screenshot hints at combat, and that's honest advertisement because combat took a back seat in PST. Now...

16528_back.jpg

"Ugly monsters are getting uppity again and it's up to YOU to whack them really dead. FEATURING: - more races to improve your whacking experience; - over 50 news spells so you can put that "fantasy violence" label to the test; - over 150 new items, 99% of which are meant to improve your WHACKING capabilities; - portraits; - many NEW THINGS FOR YOU TO WHACK; - MOAR LOOT; new and improved UI"

Can you tell the difference? PST was a conscious move away from RPGs roots as wargames and such. Moving away from whacking things and collecting their loot in favor of a more fleshed out setting and story. Disco Elysium follows the same path and goes a bit further, removing combat entirely as it was considered "unnecessary" for the experience. Only retards with peanuts for brains fail to notice a shared pattern between these two.

Or the definition of RPG is what bothers you? Do I really have to tell you that borders of the RPG genre has always been blurry?

Oh please, do tell. :roll:

I'm far from being a purist. I don't mind stretching the borders towards Battle Brothers/JA, I can accept FPS (Bloodlines/New Vegas) and I really don't even mind console action games (Dork Souls/Twitcher). But all these titles share in common the fact that they are GAMES, they have interactive gameplay. You might consider "souls-like" combat to be utter trash, you might think New Vegas fails at both shooting and roleplaying mechanics, but you CAN'T deny that these titles have actual gameplay. Elysium OTOH has as much gameplay as [famous movie] Director's cut on Blu-Ray. You can choose the next chapter so...it's a game now! :rpgcodex:

I'll bother discussing whether Elysium is an RPG or not once it gets patched into becoming a GAME. It can't be a roleplaying game when it's not even a game to begin with.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
In an ideal world, the Codex probably would not endorse these games as "top 50 CRPGs". In some cases, they should not really be acknowledged as RPGs at all.

Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines
Fallout New Vegas
Dark Souls
Pathfinder Kingmaker
Witcher III
Gothic 1
Shadowrun Dragonfall
Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen
The Witcher
Mount and Blade Warband
Dragon Age Origins
Alpha Protocol

Ladonna

Arcane
You know they taught us at the school of white, male , privilege that anyone can make mistakes or make the wrong a post that is not the real point....white people despite what everyone thinks are not perfect ;)
You cant mean Morrowind , are you sure you mean Morrowind? I am sure when you played it you didn't use the right Mods because you must use some of the recommended Mods that will address several of your complaints and interestingly enough the books and lore in Morrowind are considered to be one of the most complex and detailed implementations of lore in any Elder Scrolls, I like lore and always understand the normal lore about the game and its features but I am not going to go searching for books to find collections or understand the additional history

As the old RPG Codex adage goes "Chances are, something you like very much sucks. Why? Because this is RPG Codex". I have seen countless comments in this thread that are personally triggering, because quite a few are kicking some of my favourite games in the head, but I just grit my teeth and move on. Everyone is different. As I said, I found the lore in Morrowind to be a bit like bargain basement efforts at Tolkien and it didn't grab me. I found the world to be random, and uninteresting, the combat to be nothing special, and ultimately became bored with the game. The last time I tried the game was over 10 years ago, so I don't know if there are magical mods that change many of the games aspects. Perhaps one day I will try it again, who knows.

I don't try to "push through" with games. If they become a chore, I don't waste my time with them, especially these days as I am too busy to waste time voluntarily on something I don't enjoy. I have enough chores to do as it is.

But if you still dont like Morrowind I will accept it but what would be 3 games you love. Its interesting for me to understand different gaming interests

Trying to pick three is impossible. Using the list from earlier, I enjoy and have finished, sometimes multiple times, all of the games prior to Morrowind. I enjoy a lot of old games too like Pool of Radiance, Phantasie, Ultima V, Magic Candle, Wasteland, and many others. I also enjoy the more tactical games like Silent Storm, Jagged Alliance 2, etc. The only sub genre of RPG's that usually, but not always, makes me not bother with playing is the "blob" category which contains games like Wizardry, Might and Magic, etc. I enjoyed Wizardry 8, and Dragon Wars, Fate Gates of Dawn (up until it became boring) but I am not really into that kind of game as much. Dungeon Master I still find fun, but again, am not really into many of the real time blob games either. So I have a pretty wide range of stuff I have enjoyed, though I cannot put my finger exactly on whether there is a formula that keeps me interested.

Here is the list again;

a5BkfjD.png

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
In an ideal world, the Codex probably would not endorse these games as "top 50 CRPGs". In some cases, they should not really be acknowledged as RPGs at all.

Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines
Fallout New Vegas
Dark Souls
Pathfinder Kingmaker
Witcher III
Gothic 1
Shadowrun Dragonfall
Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen
The Witcher
Mount and Blade Warband
Dragon Age Origins
Alpha Protocol

Or at least have a separate category for arcade-style games with RPG elements

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
You know they taught us at the school of white, male , privilege that anyone can make mistakes or make the wrong a post that is not the real point....white people despite what everyone thinks are not perfect ;)
You cant mean Morrowind , are you sure you mean Morrowind? I am sure when you played it you didn't use the right Mods because you must use some of the recommended Mods that will address several of your complaints and interestingly enough the books and lore in Morrowind are considered to be one of the most complex and detailed implementations of lore in any Elder Scrolls, I like lore and always understand the normal lore about the game and its features but I am not going to go searching for books to find collections or understand the additional history

As the old RPG Codex adage goes "Chances are, something you like very much sucks. Why? Because this is RPG Codex". I have seen countless comments in this thread that are personally triggering, because quite a few are kicking some of my favourite games in the head, but I just grit my teeth and move on. Everyone is different. As I said, I found the lore in Morrowind to be a bit like bargain basement efforts at Tolkien and it didn't grab me. I found the world to be random, and uninteresting, the combat to be nothing special, and ultimately became bored with the game. The last time I tried the game was over 10 years ago, so I don't know if there are magical mods that change many of the games aspects. Perhaps one day I will try it again, who knows.

I don't try to "push through" with games. If they become a chore, I don't waste my time with them, especially these days as I am too busy to waste time voluntarily on something I don't enjoy. I have enough chores to do as it is.

But if you still dont like Morrowind I will accept it but what would be 3 games you love. Its interesting for me to understand different gaming interests

Trying to pick three is impossible. Using the list from earlier, I enjoy and have finished, sometimes multiple times, all of the games prior to Morrowind. I enjoy a lot of old games too like Pool of Radiance, Phantasie, Ultima V, Magic Candle, Wasteland, and many others. I also enjoy the more tactical games like Silent Storm, Jagged Alliance 2, etc. The only sub genre of RPG's that usually, but not always, makes me not bother with playing is the "blob" category which contains games like Wizardry, Might and Magic, etc. I enjoyed Wizardry 8, and Dragon Wars, Fate Gates of Dawn (up until it became boring) but I am not really into that kind of game as much. Dungeon Master I still find fun, but again, am not really into many of the real time blob games either. So I have a pretty wide range of stuff I have enjoyed, though I cannot put my finger exactly on whether there is a formula that keeps me interested.

Here is the list again;

a5BkfjD.png

Which Pool of Radiance is that? The Gold Box version or the 3D version?

jackofshadows

Magister
Can you tell the difference? PST was a conscious move away from RPGs roots as wargames and such. Moving away from whacking things and collecting their loot in favor of a more fleshed out setting and story.
It was. But the sky hasn't fallen to the ground and combat-oriented RPGs or hybrid games like Battle Brothers (I don't consider it as pure RPG but as you see, I'm not strict with the genre borders) continued to come out. Moving away from the genre roots isn't always a bad thing. It's like saying lets get back to silent movies. I appreciate Codex' conservatism greatly and yet it's so often become excessive. The medium, even if we aren't seeing too many RPGs, is broad enough to contain different games with different focus.
I don't mind stretching the borders towards Battle Brothers/JA, I can accept FPS (Bloodlines/New Vegas) and I really don't even mind console action games (Dork Souls/Twitcher). But all these titles share in common the fact that they are GAMES, they have interactive gameplay. You might consider "souls-like" combat to be utter trash, you might think New Vegas fails at both shooting and roleplaying mechanics, but you CAN'T deny that these titles have actual gameplay. Elysium OTOH has as much gameplay as [famous movie] Director's cut on Blu-Ray. You can choose the next chapter so...it's a game now! :rpgcodex:
But DE's a game. It's highly interactive. If anything, it's more interactive than some console movie-like games that I've seen. It's just not about combat but about dialogues and enviroment interactions. Somewhat on an adventurish side. Similiar to as F:NV on a shooter side or JA2 on a strategy/tactics side.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
Regarding the Codex top 50 from 2019:

I missed this the first time, because it's a good game, but Deus Ex is unambiguously a first person shooter with stats and dialog ("RPG elements"), if you count Deus Ex as a RPG then the majority of modern first person shooters are also RPGs.

Also, if we are counting games in other genres with stats as RPGs then we should include Diablo among the top RPGs (and acknowledge Warcraft 3 as a RPG).

BlaineMono

Liturgist
All CRPGs are overrated TBH
the whole formula of "hey let's have an adventure game, but also a wargame/action game, but also with some arbitrary number systems to sperg about" is a poor genre mix that attracts the worst kind of player

good thing modern games moved away from it in favour of something more palatable

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Everything they make is a buggy, shitty, unbalanced mess

Who cares about being unbalanced? Piranha Bytes games is great cuz you go from nobody to hero and has a interesting progression curve, has amazing immersion, amazing story and so on.

No one mentioned PoE. Faith in Codex restored. :obviously:

Is not overrated cuz everyone agrees that is vastly inferior to the "inspiration" of PoE.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom