Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Guild Wars 2 Thread

Drakortha

Liturgist
They needed to go big with this expansion. They needed to create new buzz around this game especially with the coming steam launch, and with the game getting closer to 10 years old.. come on now. What they've shown in the stream is not enough to get the interest of new players to check out GW2. They had to get a new race and a new class in there at the very least. Existing players seem to forget that elite specs don't appeal to potential new players in the slightest. And fishing + a new mount isn't going to carry this game for the next few years until the next expansion..

Usually I'm a fanboy for this game but I can see the writing on the wall now. GW2 has always had the potential to be one of the biggest and most popular in the MMO scene but it's becoming abundantly clear Anet probably just don't have the funding or manpower to make it a reality.

dude, anet are the same people who greenlit this catastrophic shit in the first place. are the same people who closed down tabula rasa just out of spite and went to pay over 20-25m dolla for it.
they have all the funding and manpower they need. but they're retarded.

Sykar

Arcane
Do you like to play furry dress up and ERP as a pwetty pwetty Charr pwincess? Then GW2 is the game for you.

This has to be the most retarded criticism I have read yet. The last thing I want to play in a RPG of any kind is a human. Why? Well I already have a good grasp of the human experience already why would I need more of that in any form of escapism?

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Do you like to play furry dress up and ERP as a pwetty pwetty Charr pwincess? Then GW2 is the game for you.

This has to be the most retarded criticism I have read yet. The last thing I want to play in a RPG of any kind is a human. Why? Well I already have a good grasp of the human experience already why would I need more of that in any form of escapism?

lol furry

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity

lol furry
Yeah but furries only look retarded in real life. As long as you compartmentalize appropriately, no problem there is.

Smigle

Literate
What they've shown in the stream is not enough to get the interest of new players to check out GW2.

I'm a returning player and it's not even enough to interest me. I just want my Skyscale at this point.

Drakron

Arcane
dude, anet are the same people who greenlit this catastrophic shit in the first place. are the same people who closed down tabula rasa just out of spite and went to pay over 20-25m dolla for it.
they have all the funding and manpower they need. but they're retarded.

No, sorry ... you are wrong.

NCSoft is the one that did that, ArenaNet had nothing to do with that. They created Guild Wars and that is pretty much all they did so far.

Yes, NCSoft brought the studio (Destination Games) but the fact GW2 is still around as TR is not should be telling what was a "catastrophic shit" for ArenaNet, in fact I have some vague memories of TR and checking to why it closed it seems to been caused by not being a very good game, of course there is more to the story (especially how Garriot left) but blaming GW2 for TR being ended is really fucking dumb and stupid, starting by the fact it come out in 2012 as TR was terminated in 2008.

Codex Year of the Donut
ncsoft shut tabula rasa down because they thought it would be the next lineage due to having garriott's name attached, not a niche game.
also, they tried to jew garriott over and he ended up winning like $32m in court

Drakron

Arcane
ncsoft shut tabula rasa down because they thought it would be the next lineage due to having garriott's name attached, not a niche game.
also, they tried to jew garriott over and he ended up winning like $32m in court

I did say how "especially how Garriot left".

Also NCSoft fallen into the trap of committing to a project no matter what, development of the game started in 2001 with 2 years later most of the work having to be redone (including 3/4 of the code), it seems they got on board really soon because of Garriot name, they werent the first to fallen into that trap either (MS and Molyneux) and they wont be the last, sometimes it pays off like with 2k that still have Sid Meier but its more so they can use his name for marketing that anything else really at this point.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
CDKeys has the Heroic Edition rather cheaply at 69 cents.

https://www.cdkeys.com/guild-wars-2-heroic-edition-pc-cd-key

I picked up a few keys and thinking about getting more to give away to Codex members to start a guild while playing on the same server. I have my characters on Summer's Furnace.

I did find a loophole with the 18 slot mitril chest that you get for free from the heroic edition. Create your main character and get them through the tutorial then to the main city for your race. Head to the crafting stations so you have access to your bank.

Create multiple characters and run them to the crafting stations. Put the 18 slot mithril chest into your bank until you max out the bag slots you have.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
I picked up a few keys and thinking about getting more to give away to Codex members to start a guild while playing on the same server.
i was going to brofist, then realized it's gw2's thread. woah man, you're evil, you revel in watching others suffer.

I enjoy the game. :lol: It's a lot better then World of Wokecraft.

Codex Year of the Donut
I couldn't find anything redeemable about this game and I usually try to find at least some good things even in the worst games.
I even played it before playing GW1 so I wasn't jaded by that.

But playing GW1 made me realize it's a lot worse than I realized because of what they threw away.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Put the 18 slot mithril chest into your bank until you max out the bag slots you have.

Arent those chests soulbound?

Nope, they're account bound. You can move them between all your characters.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/18_Slot_Mithril_Box

I couldn't find anything redeemable about this game and I usually try to find at least some good things even in the worst games.
I even played it before playing GW1 so I wasn't jaded by that.

But playing GW1 made me realize it's a lot worse than I realized because of what they threw away.

I've played the worst and best MMOs starting with one of the granddaddies of them all. Kesmai's MPBT: Solaris. GW2 is pretty good for what it is and better then EQ2 and Anarchy Online.

Unrelated, but people can get the first two expansions on Amazon for $15.00.

v1rus

Arcane

I dont know. I used to play it, a lot, when it came out, and something just worked for me. I havent played many MMOs tho. I it retried recently, and it was enjoyable in a way, but I realized I dont want that type of timesink in my life again.

Personally, I enjoyed how mobile the gameplay is, and the implementation of dodge (ya, its a cheap I-frame mechanic, I know), which resulted in an MMO thats mobile way more than I was used to. I loved jumping puzzles, some of zones were ok (load screens ere fucking gorgeous, but thats not really important). From what I heard of GW1, the game is just drastically different from it, which is the main reason people have problems with it. It does have nice amount of optimization options, and tho there obv are more optimized choices, its not full on WoW where one build reigns supreme, you still can tinker and make some weird stuff, just not as much as you could in GW1. The way cheevos work was interesting too. From little Ive seen HoT zones were quite good with great amount of verticallity . And some events were really fun, like super adventure box or whatever its called.

It was an ok game to spend a last highscool summer on, really. Not many things come of as amazing on the first place, but there was a huge amount of the usual great MMO situations.

That plot is fucking way past any sort of redemption tho.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
That plot is fucking way past any sort of redemption tho.
That is my HUGE problem with the game. #1 THEY NEVER ADVERTISED ONE. What they promised was innovation of Warhammer Online's Public Quests. And 3-faction RVR + obviously Arena. But not all this other crap.

The best way to describe the plot/personal story is... it's diluted. Same with Public Quests.. they were supposed to be more complex but it's like they barely spent effort. OH and then there's the PVE "endgame."

SWTOR shows that if you want to emphasize personal story... get 8 different writers and spend most of your time on that, leaving the rest of the gameplay as "orthodox" MMO.

Again, I never even wanted or known about the personal story/plot. You're already doing some much shit that you just half-ass the personal story shit.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
GW2 is pretty good for what it is and better then EQ2.
That doesn't say much... EQ2 and WoW came out at the same time. EQ2 flopped, which meant all the EQ1 players felt WoW was a better successor than EQ2. Just simple logic = If there were loyal to the Everquest franchise, EQ2 would not be empty.

So.. that's not a very high bar.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
That doesn't say much... EQ2 and WoW came out at the same time. EQ2 flopped, which meant all the EQ1 players felt WoW was a better successor than EQ2. Just simple logic = If there were loyal to the Everquest franchise, EQ2 would not be empty.

EQ2 was an improvement over EQ1. People have shit tastes and using it as a metric to justify quality is laughable. McDonald's sells the most hamburgers in the world. Are you going to say that they have the best hamburgers in the world because they sell the most?

There is the matter that you don't have any proof that there was a mass exodus of players from EQ to WoW either.

What WoW did was allow normies to play on the pathetic hardware of the OEM systems of the time. That's where they got the millions of subs from. Not EQ.

You failed to ask me to quantify why I felt that GW2 was better then EQ2. GW2 has the dynamic events that allows anyone to participate in and still get rewarded. You don't get that in EQ2. Classes are not bland either as they have different viable builds with a backstory that gives you a different experience. You don't get that in EQ2 as well.

I used to be the top cleric on my EQ2 server and started in the closed beta. I know what I'm talking about when it comes to both games since I also was part of the open beta for GW2.

Last edited:

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron

EQ2 was an improvement over EQ1.
EQ1 players felt WoW was a better successor than EQ2
In other words, one improved better than the other improved.

People have shit tastes and using it as a metric to justify quality is laughable.
So, if we assume WoW players have never played MMOs before, then the early metrics are good at looking at existing MMO players - EQ1 players' opinions.

Edit: Or are you saying EQ1 players have shitty taste?

What WoW did was allow normies to play on the pathetic hardware of the OEM systems of the time. That's where they got the millions of subs from. Not EQ.
But normies would not know that they could play WoW on pathetic hardware until that was consistent at least a few weeks. It's not like people joined on day 1 and predicted that WoW would work on pathetic hardware. So who joined on day 1?

There is the matter that you don't have any proof that there was a mass exodus of players from EQ to WoW either.
Why would I seek proof for something I never said?

EQ1 players felt WoW was a better successor than EQ2.
In other words, there was a mass exodus from EQ to the next generation of MMOs, and you can look at the early metrics to see these the opinions of PRE-EXISTING MMO players.

I mean, EQ1 is mainstream. The actually good niche shit:
  • Dark Age of Camelot.
  • Shadowbane.
  • That's pretty much it because I have too much anxiety to play Ultima Online :lol:
I used to be the top cleric on my EQ2 server and started in the closed beta. I know what I'm talking about when it comes to both games since I also was part of the open beta for GW2.
Yeah and I checked out EQ2 the same time I checked out WoW, so probably also at launch since I have no life. I might have been in open beta for GW2, can't remember for sure, but I started playing on day 1.

But you know what? That doesn't matter. That's just anecdotal evidence from me and you, which is pointless in terms of mass demographics.

You wanna try this again with less logical fallacies? You talk about the metrics... So.. Where are the EQ1 players now? Did they just give up on MMOs?

Edit: As for taste... Both are EQ1 successors in terms of building off the fundamental mechanics. (Because where else would Blizzard draw influence on gameplay? Brainstorming their first MMO...or looking at the most successful MMO so far?)

Last edited:

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck

What the fuck are you on about?

So, if we assume WoW players have never played MMOs before, then the early metrics are good at looking at existing MMO players - EQ1 players' opinions.

Yes, because there definitely wasn't 8 million players playing all other MMOs before WoW was released. The most that EQ1 ever got was about a quarter million.

But normies would not know that they could play WoW on pathetic hardware until that was consistent at least a few weeks. It's not like people joined on day 1 and predicted that WoW would work on pathetic hardware. So who joined on day 1?

WoW had a massive advertising campaign that was on TV or did you forget that?

You made the claim that EQ players left to play WoW in massive numbers. Back that statement up with actual proof.

In other words, there was a mass exodus from EQ to the next generation of MMOs, and you can look at the early metrics to see these the opinions of PRE-EXISTING MMO players.

There is no proof of that other then your word. Put up or shut up on this point.

I mean, EQ1 is mainstream. The actually good niche shit:
  • Dark Age of Camelot.
  • Shadowbane.
  • That's pretty much it because I have too much anxiety to play Ultima Online :lol:

Your list is lacking since you had Meridian 59 etc...

Yeah and I checked out EQ2 the same time I checked out WoW, so probably also at launch since I have no life. I might have been in open beta for GW2, can't remember for sure, but I started playing on day 1.

But you know what? That doesn't matter. That's just anecdotal evidence from me and you, which is pointless in terms of mass demographics.

You wanna try this again with less logical fallacies?

I didn't present a single logical fallacy in my statements to you. You just disagree with them which I don't really care about. You attacked me with a strawman attack concerning EQ1 and WoW which has zero to do with what I said about GW2 being better then EQ2. Thus, it was you with the logical fallacy.

Look, I don't give a rat's ass if you don't like GW2 and your opinion on the game means Jack and Shit to me. You're being a pretentious little shit right now with a God complex that you think you know what a person likes better then them.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron

What the fuck are you on about?
Oh did you forget your response of
EQ2 was an improvement over EQ1.

I guess we'll repeat this conversation.

I wrote
EQ1 players felt WoW was a better successor than EQ2
That does not say anything about whether or not EQ2 is better than EQ1. If anything, it implied that both WoW and EQ2 were an improvement over EQ1, just that the level of improvements were different.

You made the claim that EQ players left to play WoW in massive numbers. Back that statement up with actual proof.
No. You claimed I said that at first. I replied afterwards saying "mass exodus" because I was mocking your use of "mass exodus."

There is no proof of that other then your word. Put up or shut up on this point.
Why don't you shut the fuck up? The minute you opened your mouth was to start an argument where there was none.
I didn't present a single logical fallacy in my statements to you.

You attacked me with a strawman attack concerning EQ1 and WoW which has zero to do with what I said about GW2 being better then EQ2.
Um, no, I said that EQ2 is not a high bar... Which means that GW2 is an improvement over EQ2 but I disagree on the magnitude of improvement.

Attacking you suggests I was disagreeing with you. The only thing I "disagreed" was on the magnitude of improvement. But it wasn't a disagreement as much as an offhand comment.

If it were an attack, it would not be one and a half flippant paragraphs. And especially not with clearly facile generalities like "all EQ2 players" or "EQ2 flopped."

Thus, it was you with the logical fallacy.
No. The Strawman was you saying I was disagreeing with you in any serious manner.

Look, I don't give a rat's ass if you don't like GW2 and your opinion on the game means Jack and Shit to me.
Uh... I assumed that was the case in the first place. I was just making an offhand comment, not thinking you would actually care. In fact, my opinion on GW2 was in affirmation to v1rus in the post prior to yours.

Also, when did I say I disliked GW2?

Why would I have things to say about GW2 if I disliked it? If I disliked GW2, then I would've dropped it. Thus I wouldn't have much critique to give. And if I have not much to say then why would I bother posting about something I don't have much to say?

You're being a pretentious little shit right now with a God complex that you think you know what a person likes better then them.
That's a Strawman right there. I can't have a God complex. I hate myself. So who's the one assuming what the other person is thinking?

Actually, it's you being a pretentious little shit, creating an argument where there was no argument, just so that you can feel good about winning an argument.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Actually. Fuck you for even dragging out the argument. I just wasted a shitload of time talking about something I don't even give much of a shit about.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Actually. Fuck you for even dragging out the argument. I just wasted a shitload of time talking about something I don't even give much of a shit about.

Fuck you too asswipe. You started to throw shit for fun and got nailed for your stupidity. To think I actually like you.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom