Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic What is the most overrated cRPG on the codex?

dacencora

Honestly, as much as it makes me boring and a typical Codexer, I think most games on the top 50 deserve to be there. The only game that I see pretty consistently overrated is Pathfinder Kingmaker. I don't think it's a bad game by any means, just that it's less than the sum of its parts. The character building is good, but most encounters are boring. Personally I find Golarion to be extremely boring as a setting, but that's not really the fault of PFKM. I thought it was a bit overwritten and that most characters were a snoozefest. Nothing about the beginning of the game is very intriguing to me, just kind of boring. It only started to get interesting when the anime plant chick shows up, but even then, I still find it a little boring.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

KateMicucci

Arcane
All CRPGs are overrated TBH
the whole formula of "hey let's have an adventure game, but also a wargame/action game, but also with some arbitrary number systems to sperg about" is a poor genre mix that attracts the worst kind of player

good thing modern games moved away from it in favour of something more palatable
Absolutely correct. It drives me nuts, going back and replaying older games, how often the game part of these role-playing games is just bad.

dacencora

the whole formula of "hey let's have an adventure game, but also a wargame/action game, but also with some arbitrary number systems to sperg about" is a poor genre mix that attracts the worst kind of player

good thing modern games moved away from it in favour of something more palatable
Absolutely correct. It drives me nuts, going back and replaying older games, how often the game part of these role-playing games is just bad.

So, in your opinion, the gameplay of Might and Magic 1-5 is bad? Not trying to bait, just curious on your thoughts?

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I never meant to suggest there is only one, I wanted to read what everyone's opinions on this are.
:hmmm:

Yeah, right.

pIOYJFl.png

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
Everything they make is a buggy, shitty, unbalanced mess

Who cares about being unbalanced?

I do.
Piranha Bytes games is great cuz you go from nobody to hero and has a interesting progression curve, has amazing immersion, amazing story and so on.

The only thing amazing about PB is that they are still in business.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Beamdog actually improved Baldur's Gate?
Pretty sure that bg tutu or whatever did it first. Beamdog probably ruined that too.
Are you trying to give her a heart attack?
She can roll her own fortitude saves, same as everyone else.

Don't you mean save vs. paralyzation/poison/death? :mad:
Of course, in the case of a heart attack, it should probably be a system shock roll. :obviously:

BruceVC

Magister
You know they taught us at the school of white, male , privilege that anyone can make mistakes or make the wrong a post that is not the real point....white people despite what everyone thinks are not perfect ;)
You cant mean Morrowind , are you sure you mean Morrowind? I am sure when you played it you didn't use the right Mods because you must use some of the recommended Mods that will address several of your complaints and interestingly enough the books and lore in Morrowind are considered to be one of the most complex and detailed implementations of lore in any Elder Scrolls, I like lore and always understand the normal lore about the game and its features but I am not going to go searching for books to find collections or understand the additional history

As the old RPG Codex adage goes "Chances are, something you like very much sucks. Why? Because this is RPG Codex". I have seen countless comments in this thread that are personally triggering, because quite a few are kicking some of my favourite games in the head, but I just grit my teeth and move on. Everyone is different. As I said, I found the lore in Morrowind to be a bit like bargain basement efforts at Tolkien and it didn't grab me. I found the world to be random, and uninteresting, the combat to be nothing special, and ultimately became bored with the game. The last time I tried the game was over 10 years ago, so I don't know if there are magical mods that change many of the games aspects. Perhaps one day I will try it again, who knows.

I don't try to "push through" with games. If they become a chore, I don't waste my time with them, especially these days as I am too busy to waste time voluntarily on something I don't enjoy. I have enough chores to do as it is.

But if you still dont like Morrowind I will accept it but what would be 3 games you love. Its interesting for me to understand different gaming interests

Trying to pick three is impossible. Using the list from earlier, I enjoy and have finished, sometimes multiple times, all of the games prior to Morrowind. I enjoy a lot of old games too like Pool of Radiance, Phantasie, Ultima V, Magic Candle, Wasteland, and many others. I also enjoy the more tactical games like Silent Storm, Jagged Alliance 2, etc. The only sub genre of RPG's that usually, but not always, makes me not bother with playing is the "blob" category which contains games like Wizardry, Might and Magic, etc. I enjoyed Wizardry 8, and Dragon Wars, Fate Gates of Dawn (up until it became boring) but I am not really into that kind of game as much. Dungeon Master I still find fun, but again, am not really into many of the real time blob games either. So I have a pretty wide range of stuff I have enjoyed, though I cannot put my finger exactly on whether there is a formula that keeps me interested.

Here is the list again;

a5BkfjD.png

I keep saying this is but this is another reason I thoroughly enjoy the interactions I have on Codex because in the last 15 years of interaction on other gaming forums Codex is by far the most active and has the most knowledge from many members who have played classic RPG like what you enjoy like Wizardry, M&M and Ultima and I have only ever played Ultima 8 and Ultima Online

So its convenient to know I can get excellent advice on these older games and what mods or updates I should use when I finally play them. And then I also enjoy the various political debates but I try to not spend too much time on those debates because I do that quite a lot in RL on Talk Shows in SA and I like to sometimes just discuss topics like games and fantasy

And something else that only on Codex I have ever experienced is their was thread about the Fighting Fantasy books by Steve Jackson and Ian Livingstone and these books was the reason I started playing D&D and AD&D and then moved onto PC games. But I have never forgotten the FF books and how they changed my view of the world because I realized I loved fantasy as my favorite genre

And I last played those FF books about 30 years but I have a semi-photographic memory so I remember many of my favorite books like Scorpion Swamp, Creature of Havoc, Deathtrap Dungeon, Sword of Samurai. But I havent met anyone in the last 10 years who still has an interest in these books until I became active on Codex 4 months ago

What a great forum to discuss so many topics about fantasy :cool:

KateMicucci

Arcane

So, in your opinion, the gameplay of Might and Magic 1-5 is bad? Not trying to bait, just curious on your thoughts?
I wasn't thinking of M&M. Might and Magic 2 was one of my favorite games. M&M has a tight focus and is specifically a killer-looter-dungeon crawler with no extra dimensions. There is no romance, multi-choice dialogs, crafting system. There's not even build variety, just basic classes.

The problem is that the more things a game tries to do, the more likely its going to fail at some of them. The things it does right also count for less.

Compare Wasteland 1 to Fallout 1. Like M&M, WL1 is a tight looter-shooter-dungeon crawler. There are a few non-combat skills but the system is designed so that taking non-combat skills doesn't hurt your combat skills. Also you have a whole team so there's no holes in your abilities. Every player is playing the same game in WL1 and isn't missing any content. Fallout 1 is different, because there's build variety, so players are playing a different sort of game depending on their character. I don't mean build variety between how you're killing enemies, like with a knife or a laser, because that's still using the same system to play the same game. You can basically be a fighter, thief or diplomat, or some combination. Every build is going to miss some content. But the game is too short, small and empty of content to divide it up like this. There's not that many fights, dialogs or things to sneak around/steal. The game gives you this huge list of skills to pick from but they only get used a few times each. If you picked the "wrong" skills you can't do much of anything (without metaknowledge at least). And if you want to do a non-combat character you still get deadly random encounters. I think a lot of what people like in Fallout 1 is imaginary. They see these long skill lists and can imagine all these cool stories in their heads of what they can do with those skills, but there's little actually in the game to support that.

Dragon Age, and games like it, similar problem. Its definitely a heavily combat-focused game. Yet the combat isn't good. There's huge power imbalances between the classe. Some of the skills are bugged or useless. The best gear is only slightly better than your starting gear. Bioware didn't even respect the player enough to show them the actual stats of the abilities on the tooltip. But DAO isn't just a combat game. It's also a dating sim, and a fantasy novel/movie, and a choose your own adventure. I think for most people the non-combat was the real game and the combat was the interludes. The most whining is about the Fade and Deep Roads where there wasn't non-combat stuff going on. Hamburger Helper was roasted for her story-mode comments but that's what a lot of people wanted and just wouldn't admit. And she was right. Why not let the dating sim/CYOA people have their own game instead of forcing that stuff into a game that should be about killing purple orcs?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom